Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What makes a good flour tortilla?

Until recently, I didn't know there were bad ones. I used to make them as a
child out of Bisquick. Got the recipe from a cookbook that my mom had. I
didn't know any better.

Locally, I can get Surita which seem very good to me but there are issues.
One was that the bags they come in did not seal properly. More than once, I
lost the tortillas to the floor, even though after the first time, I checked
the bags well. I did write to them and they corrected this. The other
issues are... One store than sells them, keeps them on the shelf. They
need to be refrigerated or they go moldy. The other store that sells them,
often sells badly expired ones. So getting good, fresh ones can be tough.

I saw on an Episode of Cooks Country that the Mission ones were bad. Really
doughy. I have not bought those before but I have bought the whole wheat
ones which we are not thrilled with but they are edible.

Then a few weeks ago I bought some brand I had never heard of for 99 cents
at Winco. Horrible things! They were also doughy and they all stuck
together. I could not get one out. I could get three though. Or parts of
three. Never did get a whole one.

Then I bought the Market Pantry kind from Target. First time, same bag
problem as the Surita. I tried them again and while okay they too are a
little doughy.

Normally I buy a corn/what blend. I think they are from La Tortilla
factory.

And yes, I know I could make my own but that makes no sense for me to do so.
We never eat a dozen at a time and usually when I do use them it is 1-3 at a
time.

So... I know what bad ones are. But what are good ones?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> So... I know what bad ones are. But what are good ones?

Try Carlita brand. I like their tortillas (and their salsa)

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> So... I know what bad ones are. But what are good ones?

> Try Carlita brand. I like their tortillas (and their salsa)
>
> G.

Is that the new Albertsons brand? If so, I tried the refried beans. They
were fine but I can get cheaper.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] View Post
[...]

Havent ever got a good one from the store and very few Mexican Restaurants have any that are worth a flip either. Now I have heard a rumor of some good ones which can found in the frozen food section but aint never tried em or recall the brand right now. They are very easy to make at home with a bread machine on the dough setting. Flour..salt..grease and water is all it takes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:52:19 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> So... I know what bad ones are. But what are good ones?

> Good ones are the raw ones you buy in the refrigerated section. You
> cook them in a hot pan for 30-45 seconds on each side. They are thin,
> not doughy, and are much better than any pre-cooked and bagged
> tortillas from the bread aisle.
>
> Costco used to have a version, but now they are selling chapati or
> roti flatbread which look very similar, but I have not tried them.

Ah. Have seen raw but can't remember where. Will look for them. Had a
flat bread sample and it was good but we'd never eat that many.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bigwheel" > wrote in message

> Havent ever got a good one from the store and very few Mexican
> Restaurants have any that are worth a flip either. Now I have heard a
> rumor of some good ones which can found in the frozen food section but
> aint never tried em or recall the brand right now. They are very easy
> to make at home with a bread machine on the dough setting.
> Flour..salt..grease and water is all it takes.

Not in my bread machine. It only makes loaves of bread. And once started,
it's locked until the bread is baked. No way to just knead a dough and take
it out. But... I think it wouldn't be worth the time to try to make the
dough to make one measly tortilla at a time.

I have tried frozen tortillas but I dislike such things when frozen. The
only way to really make them work is to defrost them all and then you have
to use them all. You can't really take one out from the frozen state.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-08-24, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:52:19 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> So... I know what bad ones are. But what are good ones?

> Good ones are the raw ones you buy in the refrigerated section. You
> cook them in a hot pan for 30-45 seconds on each side. They are thin,
> not doughy, and are much better than any pre-cooked and bagged
> tortillas from the bread aisle.

Yer all wrong. Bad are the those labeled "no trans fats". Why? Cuz
they use vegetable oil or something equally lame healthy ingredient.
Good one's are those made with real manteca (lard). Almost impossible
to find, anymore.

Make yer own. Only requires flour, salt, lard, water. Roll out with
a 1-1/2" dowel. As for "doughy", real flour tortillas ARE doughy,
being rolled out from a --duh-- "dough"! Also, if made properly, it
matter not a wit whether they are thick or thin. Thin is handy when
used as a wrap, thick when used as a scoop, with frijoles, stews, or
the like.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-08-24, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:52:19 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> So... I know what bad ones are. But what are good ones?

>> Good ones are the raw ones you buy in the refrigerated section. You
>> cook them in a hot pan for 30-45 seconds on each side. They are thin,
>> not doughy, and are much better than any pre-cooked and bagged
>> tortillas from the bread aisle.

> Yer all wrong. Bad are the those labeled "no trans fats". Why? Cuz
> they use vegetable oil or something equally lame healthy ingredient.
> Good one's are those made with real manteca (lard). Almost impossible
> to find, anymore.
>
> Make yer own. Only requires flour, salt, lard, water. Roll out with
> a 1-1/2" dowel. As for "doughy", real flour tortillas ARE doughy,
> being rolled out from a --duh-- "dough"! Also, if made properly, it
> matter not a wit whether they are thick or thin. Thin is handy when
> used as a wrap, thick when used as a scoop, with frijoles, stews, or
> the like.
>
> nb

As I said... Would make no sense to try to make just one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> So... I know what bad ones are. But what are good ones?

>> Try Carlita brand. I like their tortillas (and their salsa)
>>
>> G.

> Is that the new Albertsons brand? If so, I tried the refried beans. They
> were fine but I can get cheaper.

But do you want good or do you want cheap? <g>

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-08-24, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:52:19 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> So... I know what bad ones are. But what are good ones?

>> Good ones are the raw ones you buy in the refrigerated section. You
>> cook them in a hot pan for 30-45 seconds on each side. They are thin,
>> not doughy, and are much better than any pre-cooked and bagged
>> tortillas from the bread aisle.

> Yer all wrong. Bad are the those labeled "no trans fats". Why? Cuz
> they use vegetable oil or something equally lame healthy ingredient.
> Good one's are those made with real manteca (lard). Almost impossible
> to find, anymore.
>
> Make yer own. Only requires flour, salt, lard, water. Roll out with
> a 1-1/2" dowel. As for "doughy", real flour tortillas ARE doughy,
> being rolled out from a --duh-- "dough"! Also, if made properly, it
> matter not a wit whether they are thick or thin. Thin is handy when
> used as a wrap, thick when used as a scoop, with frijoles, stews, or
> the like.

I make chapattis with whole wheat flour but not tortilla. What quantities
of flour to lard do you use?
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:52:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
> I saw on an Episode of Cooks Country that the Mission ones were bad. Really
> doughy. I have not bought those before but I have bought the whole wheat
> ones which we are not thrilled with but they are edible.

Cook's Country is fill with white people who probably don't know how
to heat a tortilla properly. It's not going to be any good if you
heat it in the microwave.

> Then a few weeks ago I bought some brand I had never heard of for 99 cents
> at Winco. Horrible things! They were also doughy and they all stuck
> together. I could not get one out. I could get three though. Or parts of
> three. Never did get a whole one.
>
> Then I bought the Market Pantry kind from Target. First time, same bag
> problem as the Surita. I tried them again and while okay they too are a
> little doughy.

How do you warm your tortillas?

> Normally I buy a corn/what blend. I think they are from La Tortilla
> factory.

Corn/wheat blend? Not a fan.

> And yes, I know I could make my own but that makes no sense for me to do so.
> We never eat a dozen at a time and usually when I do use them it is 1-3 at a
> time.
>
> So... I know what bad ones are. But what are good ones?

I don't grocery shop at Walmart or Super Target, so I don't buy off
brands and AFAIC all the major brands at the grocery store are fine.
Choose one from the tortilla display on the end cap and you'll be fine
if you have a clue how to heat up tortillas properly. La Tortilla
Factory makes very good flour tortillas, but I hate their corn/wheat
blend. I like corn tortillas and I like (white) wheat tortillas but I
don't like corn/wheat tortillas. There's absolutely nothing wrong
with Mission brand either. At the moment, I have La Tortilla Factory
corn and Calidad flour tortillas in my refrigerator.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 12:16:22 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> >> Try Carlita brand. I like their tortillas (and their salsa)
> >>
> >> G.

> > Is that the new Albertsons brand? If so, I tried the refried beans. They
> > were fine but I can get cheaper.

> But do you want good or do you want cheap? <g>

That was my first reaction too and she knows where cheap gets her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> >> Try Carlita brand. I like their tortillas (and their salsa)
> >>
> >> G.

> > Is that the new Albertsons brand? If so, I tried the refried beans. They
> > were fine but I can get cheaper.

> But do you want good or do you want cheap? <g>

She said she wanted good. I like that brand and they *are* cheaper
than most with all of their products.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/24/2013 9:12 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:52:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>>
>> I saw on an Episode of Cooks Country that the Mission ones were bad. Really
>> doughy. I have not bought those before but I have bought the whole wheat
>> ones which we are not thrilled with but they are edible.

> Cook's Country is fill with white people who probably don't know how
> to heat a tortilla properly. It's not going to be any good if you
> heat it in the microwave.
>>
>> Then a few weeks ago I bought some brand I had never heard of for 99 cents
>> at Winco. Horrible things! They were also doughy and they all stuck
>> together. I could not get one out. I could get three though. Or parts of
>> three. Never did get a whole one.
>>
>> Then I bought the Market Pantry kind from Target. First time, same bag
>> problem as the Surita. I tried them again and while okay they too are a
>> little doughy.

> How do you warm your tortillas?
>>
>> Normally I buy a corn/what blend. I think they are from La Tortilla
>> factory.

> Corn/wheat blend? Not a fan.
>>
>> And yes, I know I could make my own but that makes no sense for me to do so.
>> We never eat a dozen at a time and usually when I do use them it is 1-3 at a
>> time.
>>
>> So... I know what bad ones are. But what are good ones?

> I don't grocery shop at Walmart or Super Target, so I don't buy off
> brands and AFAIC all the major brands at the grocery store are fine.
> Choose one from the tortilla display on the end cap and you'll be fine
> if you have a clue how to heat up tortillas properly. La Tortilla
> Factory makes very good flour tortillas, but I hate their corn/wheat
> blend. I like corn tortillas and I like (white) wheat tortillas but I
> don't like corn/wheat tortillas. There's absolutely nothing wrong
> with Mission brand either. At the moment, I have La Tortilla Factory
> corn and Calidad flour tortillas in my refrigerator.

I prefer corn tortillas but I usually soften them by hanging them from
the wires of an oven at 350F for about a minute.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-08-24, Janet > wrote:

> Real lard doesn't contain transfats.

Yeah, but even tortilla companies that do use lard typically use
hydrogenated lard, which does contain some (very little) trans fats.
Still, GMO veggie oil is cheaper and lets the maker claim "0 trans
fats". My latest pkg of flour tortillas: soy bean oil, hydrogenated
soybean and/or palm oil. "0 trans fats per serving" and "No
cholesterol". See. Cost less to produce and allows for spurious
health claims.

Either way, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message

> >> Good ones are the raw ones you buy in the refrigerated section. You
> >> cook them in a hot pan for 30-45 seconds on each side. They are thin,
> >> not doughy, and are much better than any pre-cooked and bagged
> >> tortillas from the bread aisle.

> > Yer all wrong. Bad are the those labeled "no trans fats". Why? Cuz
> > they use vegetable oil or something equally lame healthy ingredient.
> > Good one's are those made with real manteca (lard). Almost impossible
> > to find, anymore.
> >
> > Make yer own. Only requires flour, salt, lard, water. Roll out with
> > a 1-1/2" dowel. As for "doughy", real flour tortillas ARE doughy,
> > being rolled out from a --duh-- "dough"! Also, if made properly, it
> > matter not a wit whether they are thick or thin. Thin is handy when
> > used as a wrap, thick when used as a scoop, with frijoles, stews, or
> > the like.
> >
> > nb

> As I said... Would make no sense to try to make just one.

This puzzles me. You're happy to have a package of cooked, store bought
tortillas that you don't love the flavor of in your fridge waiting until
you want to eat one. But you don't want to make delicious ones and have
them sitting in your fridge until you want to eat one.

You know, you can refrigerate home made good ones, right?

While I will eat store corn tortillas, I cannot abide the store flour
ones. I've tried a bunch of brands and they are just not the same.
Mostly they have sugar in them and are just so oddly sweet.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Marcella Peek" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > Yer all wrong. Bad are the those labeled "no trans fats". Why? Cuz
>> > they use vegetable oil or something equally lame healthy ingredient.
>> > Good one's are those made with real manteca (lard). Almost impossible
>> > to find, anymore.
>> >
>> > Make yer own. Only requires flour, salt, lard, water. Roll out with
>> > a 1-1/2" dowel. As for "doughy", real flour tortillas ARE doughy,
>> > being rolled out from a --duh-- "dough"! Also, if made properly, it
>> > matter not a wit whether they are thick or thin. Thin is handy when
>> > used as a wrap, thick when used as a scoop, with frijoles, stews, or
>> > the like.
>> >
>> > nb

>> As I said... Would make no sense to try to make just one.

> This puzzles me. You're happy to have a package of cooked, store bought
> tortillas that you don't love the flavor of in your fridge waiting until
> you want to eat one. But you don't want to make delicious ones and have
> them sitting in your fridge until you want to eat one.
>
> You know, you can refrigerate home made good ones, right?

I know but they won't be fresh and won't be as good. There is nothing wrong
with the flavor of the tortillas I buy. I never said anything about the
flavor.

> While I will eat store corn tortillas, I cannot abide the store flour
> ones. I've tried a bunch of brands and they are just not the same.
> Mostly they have sugar in them and are just so oddly sweet.

I have not noticed any sweet ones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Try Carlita brand. I like their tortillas (and their salsa)
>>>
>>> G.

>> Is that the new Albertsons brand? If so, I tried the refried beans.
>> They were fine but I can get cheaper.

> But do you want good or do you want cheap? <g>

I'd prefer both.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:52:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>>
>> I saw on an Episode of Cooks Country that the Mission ones were bad.
>> Really
>> doughy. I have not bought those before but I have bought the whole wheat
>> ones which we are not thrilled with but they are edible.

> Cook's Country is fill with white people who probably don't know how
> to heat a tortilla properly. It's not going to be any good if you
> heat it in the microwave.
>>
>> Then a few weeks ago I bought some brand I had never heard of for 99
>> cents
>> at Winco. Horrible things! They were also doughy and they all stuck
>> together. I could not get one out. I could get three though. Or parts
>> of
>> three. Never did get a whole one.
>>
>> Then I bought the Market Pantry kind from Target. First time, same bag
>> problem as the Surita. I tried them again and while okay they too are a
>> little doughy.

> How do you warm your tortillas?

Microwave.

>> Normally I buy a corn/what blend. I think they are from La Tortilla
>> factory.

> Corn/wheat blend? Not a fan.
>>
>> And yes, I know I could make my own but that makes no sense for me to do
>> so.
>> We never eat a dozen at a time and usually when I do use them it is 1-3
>> at a
>> time.
>>
>> So... I know what bad ones are. But what are good ones?

> I don't grocery shop at Walmart or Super Target, so I don't buy off
> brands and AFAIC all the major brands at the grocery store are fine.
> Choose one from the tortilla display on the end cap and you'll be fine
> if you have a clue how to heat up tortillas properly. La Tortilla
> Factory makes very good flour tortillas, but I hate their corn/wheat
> blend. I like corn tortillas and I like (white) wheat tortillas but I
> don't like corn/wheat tortillas. There's absolutely nothing wrong
> with Mission brand either. At the moment, I have La Tortilla Factory
> corn and Calidad flour tortillas in my refrigerator.

Mission came out as the lowest ranking on America's Test Kitchen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-08-24, Marcella Peek > wrote:
> This puzzles me. You're happy to have a package of cooked, store bought
> tortillas that you don't love the flavor of in your fridge waiting until
> you want to eat one. But you don't want to make delicious ones and have
> them sitting in your fridge until you want to eat one.

Simple time/distance. Caring for my mom, I'm lucky to get any cooking
done at all.

If life wasn't fun enough, what with my mom taking off her diaper,
peeing the bed, sleeping and rolling around in it, then putting the
diaper back on (sometime inside out) when she woke up, this morning
she added a new twist. Sometime during the night, she did her usual
remove diap/pee bed routine, then, not wanting to sleep in the wet
puddle, she found a pair of scissors and cut out the offending wet
spot from the sheet. Brand new fitted sheet with a 3 ft sqr hole cut
out from the middle. If it wasn't so frustrating, it woulda been
hilarious. Unfortunately, hilarity and cooking time are in painfully
short supply, these days. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-08-24, Marcella Peek > wrote:
>> This puzzles me. You're happy to have a package of cooked, store bought
>> tortillas that you don't love the flavor of in your fridge waiting until
>> you want to eat one. But you don't want to make delicious ones and have
>> them sitting in your fridge until you want to eat one.

> Simple time/distance. Caring for my mom, I'm lucky to get any cooking
> done at all.
>
> If life wasn't fun enough, what with my mom taking off her diaper,
> peeing the bed, sleeping and rolling around in it, then putting the
> diaper back on (sometime inside out) when she woke up, this morning
> she added a new twist. Sometime during the night, she did her usual
> remove diap/pee bed routine, then, not wanting to sleep in the wet
> puddle, she found a pair of scissors and cut out the offending wet
> spot from the sheet. Brand new fitted sheet with a 3 ft sqr hole cut
> out from the middle. If it wasn't so frustrating, it woulda been
> hilarious. Unfortunately, hilarity and cooking time are in painfully
> short supply, these days. 8|

Oh Did you not find a place in a home for her? So hard on you

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-08-24, Ophelia > wrote:

> Oh Did you not find a place in a home for her? So hard on you

Almost, but changed my mind at last minute. She seems to have
rebounded somewhat since her micro stroke in Mar. I'll re-assess when
the snow flies. Gotta admit, the scissors trick shows some real
creativity.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 12:12:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:52:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >>
> >> I saw on an Episode of Cooks Country that the Mission ones were bad.
> >> Really
> >> doughy. I have not bought those before but I have bought the whole wheat
> >> ones which we are not thrilled with but they are edible.

> > Cook's Country is fill with white people who probably don't know how
> > to heat a tortilla properly. It's not going to be any good if you
> > heat it in the microwave.
> >>
> >> Then a few weeks ago I bought some brand I had never heard of for 99
> >> cents
> >> at Winco. Horrible things! They were also doughy and they all stuck
> >> together. I could not get one out. I could get three though. Or parts
> >> of
> >> three. Never did get a whole one.
> >>
> >> Then I bought the Market Pantry kind from Target. First time, same bag
> >> problem as the Surita. I tried them again and while okay they too are a
> >> little doughy.

> > How do you warm your tortillas?

> Microwave.

That's an awful way to warm them up. Do it in a dry cast iron pan.

> >> So... I know what bad ones are. But what are good ones?

> > I don't grocery shop at Walmart or Super Target, so I don't buy off
> > brands and AFAIC all the major brands at the grocery store are fine.
> > Choose one from the tortilla display on the end cap and you'll be fine
> > if you have a clue how to heat up tortillas properly. La Tortilla
> > Factory makes very good flour tortillas, but I hate their corn/wheat
> > blend. I like corn tortillas and I like (white) wheat tortillas but I
> > don't like corn/wheat tortillas. There's absolutely nothing wrong
> > with Mission brand either. At the moment, I have La Tortilla Factory
> > corn and Calidad flour tortillas in my refrigerator.

> Mission came out as the lowest ranking on America's Test Kitchen.

So what? There's nothing wrong with them if you know how to heat a
tortilla properly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-08-24, Ophelia > wrote:
>
>> Oh Did you not find a place in a home for her? So hard on you

> Almost, but changed my mind at last minute. She seems to have
> rebounded somewhat since her micro stroke in Mar. I'll re-assess when
> the snow flies. Gotta admit, the scissors trick shows some real
> creativity.

I've said it before ... she is so lucky to have you!!!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Aug 2013 19:13:55 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2013-08-24, Marcella Peek > wrote:
>> This puzzles me. You're happy to have a package of cooked, store bought
>> tortillas that you don't love the flavor of in your fridge waiting until
>> you want to eat one. But you don't want to make delicious ones and have
>> them sitting in your fridge until you want to eat one.

>Simple time/distance. Caring for my mom, I'm lucky to get any cooking
>done at all.
>
>If life wasn't fun enough, what with my mom taking off her diaper,
>peeing the bed, sleeping and rolling around in it, then putting the
>diaper back on (sometime inside out) when she woke up, this morning
>she added a new twist. Sometime during the night, she did her usual
>remove diap/pee bed routine, then, not wanting to sleep in the wet
>puddle, she found a pair of scissors and cut out the offending wet
>spot from the sheet. Brand new fitted sheet with a 3 ft sqr hole cut
>out from the middle. If it wasn't so frustrating, it woulda been
>hilarious. Unfortunately, hilarity and cooking time are in painfully
>short supply, these days. 8|
>
>nb

thank you for taking care of her. Your job is a hard one, the
reversal of roles is difficult for the mind to handle. I hope you
have someone you can hang with for just a little while.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/08/2013 4:49 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> thank you for taking care of her. Your job is a hard one, the
> reversal of roles is difficult for the mind to handle. I hope you
> have someone you can hang with for just a little while.
> Janet US

And IIRC he has been left to do this on his own, without the help of
siblings. We probably all see it all the time. Brothers and sisters
refuse to help out with the care of aged parents.

One of the worst cases I saw was a neighbour who had 13 brothers and
sisters. She and her husband we always very generous in hosting that
clan. They had built a nice house with a patio and a good size pool. The
brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews practically lived around their
pool in the summer. She provided food and beverages and did all the
cooking, serving and cleaning.

Then she took in her mother rather than put her in a home. All she
needed was for someone to come and help out once in a while, someone to
come and stay with the mother while she went out shopping. No one had
time to do that. Not even the sister, BiL, their daughter and Sil with
two grandchildren who used to spend all day Saturday and Sunday there.
All they had to do was look after the mother for a couple hours while
the she ran a few errands.

On the plus side, she and her husband have a lot more free time since
the mother died. She no longer has to cook and clean for a dozen guests
every day. As far as she is concerned, it's good riddance to them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-08-24, Janet > wrote:

> Have you thought of getting her a onesie pyjama to wear in bed; she
> might not be able to get to the diaper.

Good idea, Janet. Maybe when it gets colder. Right now, were both
down to a top and skivies (diap in her case) in the house, the weather
warm enough and we having no cooling.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/24/2013 2:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Mission came out as the lowest ranking on America's Test Kitchen.

The Mission Carb Balance is the only small low carb tortillas I can get
here. We get the whole wheat ones. The other low carb ones are too big.

We don't eat them often, bit I will put them in the mold and use them
for a taco salad or for chicken enchiladas. I will make myself a
quesadilla with them on occasion.

I buy the tiny corn ones for fish tacos.

I thought you were diabetic, Julie? How can you justify all the carbs
in a flour tortilla?
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On 24 Aug 2013 19:13:55 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>If it wasn't so frustrating, it woulda been hilarious.

> No, I don't see how that could EVER be funny in any way,
> and I'm very sorry for you both, having to deal with this
> situation.

I agree. I just watched "Amour" yesterday, and it was very sad...but true.
It's very hard to be a caregiver, as well as being the person that is cared
for. I feel sorry for all of them.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 21:10:34 -0700, The Other Guy
> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 12:12:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> >Mission came out as the lowest ranking on America's Test Kitchen.

> All the talk of tortillas made me crave a quesadilla,
> so bought a pack of Mission flour tortillas today and
> MADE some. And they were FINE, just as good as ever.
>
> So ATK can BITE me!!

You get the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> That's an awful way to warm them up. Do it in a dry cast iron pan.

Don't have such a pan and it's a fine way to warm them up for bean tacos.

>> > I don't grocery shop at Walmart or Super Target, so I don't buy off
>> > brands and AFAIC all the major brands at the grocery store are fine.
>> > Choose one from the tortilla display on the end cap and you'll be fine
>> > if you have a clue how to heat up tortillas properly. La Tortilla
>> > Factory makes very good flour tortillas, but I hate their corn/wheat
>> > blend. I like corn tortillas and I like (white) wheat tortillas but I
>> > don't like corn/wheat tortillas. There's absolutely nothing wrong
>> > with Mission brand either. At the moment, I have La Tortilla Factory
>> > corn and Calidad flour tortillas in my refrigerator.

>> Mission came out as the lowest ranking on America's Test Kitchen.

> So what? There's nothing wrong with them if you know how to heat a
> tortilla properly.

They said they were doughy and that's what I don't want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 8/24/2013 2:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Mission came out as the lowest ranking on America's Test Kitchen.

> The Mission Carb Balance is the only small low carb tortillas I can get
> here. We get the whole wheat ones. The other low carb ones are too big.
>
> We don't eat them often, bit I will put them in the mold and use them for
> a taco salad or for chicken enchiladas. I will make myself a quesadilla
> with them on occasion.
>
> I buy the tiny corn ones for fish tacos.
>
> I thought you were diabetic, Julie? How can you justify all the carbs in
> a flour tortilla?

Is that the mold that makes the taco salad shells? I was tempted to buy one
but Angela didn't want me to.

Yes, I am diabetic. Small tortillas aren't overly high in carbs. And I
don't/can't eat low carb. I have to eat enough carbs or my BG soars up into
the 300's. But I also have to make sure not to eat too many carbs or it
will soar too high too.

I am also an atypical diabetic and foods that work well for me might not
work for most. Like white rice and floury things. Because I have
gastroparesis, I have to limit my diet to easily digested foods. Things
will too much fat or fiber stay in my stomach too long and raise my BG.
Oddly though, beans are fine for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On 24 Aug 2013 19:13:55 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>If it wasn't so frustrating, it woulda been hilarious.

> No, I don't see how that could EVER be funny in any way,
> and I'm very sorry for you both, having to deal with this
> situation.

Yes

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-08-25, Ophelia > wrote:

> "The Other Guy" > wrote in message
>> On 24 Aug 2013 19:13:55 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>>If it wasn't so frustrating, it woulda been hilarious.

>> No, I don't see how that could EVER be funny in any way,
>> and I'm very sorry for you both, having to deal with this
>> situation.

> Yes

When life hands you lemons, you make lemona..... well, yer all cooks,
you know.

Like I said, Mom has rebounded, somewhat, since her stroke in Mar.
She even gave a little laugh, yesterday. Also, I got a used electric
golf cart to both allow me to do little local chores quicker and to
take her out and around during the cool afternoons to get some air/sun
and interact with neighbors. She loves riding in the cart. In the
end, it beats the horizontal mambo all to Hell. Fri was her
birthday. She's 86.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Caring for the Elderly (WAS: What makes a good flour tortilla?)

On 8/24/2013 3:50 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-08-24, Ophelia > wrote:
>
>> Oh Did you not find a place in a home for her? So hard on you

> Almost, but changed my mind at last minute. She seems to have
> rebounded somewhat since her micro stroke in Mar. I'll re-assess when
> the snow flies. Gotta admit, the scissors trick shows some real
> creativity.
>
> nb

nb, I don't know if this will help but it's a thought. I bought baby
monitors, similar to this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Secu...eiver/14939143

The base unit goes in her bedroom. I had a receiver in my room and one
in the kitchen (both of which are on the other side of the house). That
way I could hear her if she needed to get up during the night or if I
was in the kitchen during the day.

Of course your mother seems to be more ambulatory (mine was using a
walker). But I did find the monitors to be very helpful. You might
have heard her get up and gotten to her before the scissors incident.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-08-25, Ophelia > wrote:

>>> No, I don't see how that could EVER be funny in any way,
>>> and I'm very sorry for you both, having to deal with this
>>> situation.

>> Yes

> When life hands you lemons, you make lemona..... well, yer all cooks,
> you know.
>
> Like I said, Mom has rebounded, somewhat, since her stroke in Mar.
> She even gave a little laugh, yesterday. Also, I got a used electric
> golf cart to both allow me to do little local chores quicker and to
> take her out and around during the cool afternoons to get some air/sun
> and interact with neighbors. She loves riding in the cart. In the
> end, it beats the horizontal mambo all to Hell. Fri was her
> birthday. She's 86.

All down to your care I expect

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/