Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
entries, I placed in 8 lots‹my worst showing since 2009, but not my
worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
(nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
miss it, don't even be late."
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:20:24 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
>the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
>entries, I placed in 8 lots‹my worst showing since 2009, but not my
>worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
>juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
>jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
>(nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
>Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
>fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
>and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
>nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
>miss it, don't even be late."

Congratulations on your continued success! How much food do you put
up? Do you eat it all or give away a lot?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-08-22, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
> juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
> jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
> (nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
> Excellence.

Congrats!! ...again. (zzzzz....)

nb --diving for cover
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2013 9:20 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
> the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
> entries, I placed in 8 lots‹my worst showing since 2009, but not my
> worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
> juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
> jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
> (nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
> Excellence.

Still a good showing. Quite the track record!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2013 8:20 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
> the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
> entries, I placed in 8 lots‹my worst showing since 2009, but not my
> worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
> juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
> jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
> (nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
> Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
> fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
> and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
> nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> miss it, don't even be late."

Congrats, Barb. The judges must have been bribed by other contestants,
as I can't imagine anyone's entries being better than yours.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
>
> the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
>
> entries, I placed in 8 lots‹my worst showing since 2009, but not my
>
> worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
>
> juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
>
> jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
>
> (nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
>
> Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
>
> fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
>
> and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
>
> nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
>
> miss it, don't even be late."
>
> --
>
> Barb,
>
> http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

Thanks for the report, luv, I always look forward to it...

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2013 9:20 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
> the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
> entries, I placed in 8 lots‹my worst showing since 2009, but not my
> worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
> juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
> jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
> (nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
> Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
> fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
> and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
> nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> miss it, don't even be late."

I didn't even think you were entering this year as your kitchen
was (is?) in upheaval, so that sounds like a great haul to me.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
> the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
> entries, I placed in 8 lots<my worst showing since 2009, but not my
> worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
> juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
> jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
> (nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
> Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
> fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
> and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
> nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> miss it, don't even be late."

You done good again!!!! I am not surprised)))

I'm proud of you as always!!!

Hugggs!!!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

>> The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
>>
>> the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
>>
>> entries, I placed in 8 lots<my worst showing since 2009, but not my
>>
>> worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
>>
>> juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
>>
>> jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
>>
>> (nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
>>
>> Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
>>
>> fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
>>
>> and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
>>
>> nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
>>
>> miss it, don't even be late."
>>
>> --
>>
>> Barb,
>>
>> http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

> Thanks for the report, luv, I always look forward to it...
>
> :-)

Hey Greg! Where have you been???

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> You're all washed up!

Is this some sort of "pull my finger" trick question?
Who said anything about sugar free?

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:20:24 AM UTC-7, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
> the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
> entries, I placed in 8 lots‹my worst showing since 2009, but not my
> worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
> juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
> jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
> (nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
> Excellence.

Excellent!

Some day, you will have to share the secret of winning those things.

> All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
> fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
> and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
> nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> miss it, don't even be late."

Was Chris on Delta aka Northworst?

My own sweetie flew home last night on DL via Detroit. She was supposed
to get in at 10 pm. But Delta had to send the first two planes that showed
up at the gate back to the hangar. She finally landed at 11:30 pm. My plan
to stop along the way (wine store, German restaurant, ONE beer) had to be
scrubbed because everything closes by 10 pm, and there was no point sitting
in a dark car until midnight, by the time the luggage arrived.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
> the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
> entries, I placed in 8 lots?my worst showing since 2009, but not my
> worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
> juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
> jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
> (nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
> Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
> fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
> and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
> nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> miss it, don't even be late."

I'm a little bit suspicious ... I have read and re-read this post and
am unable to find a match for "pickled dirt clods" ... what have you
done with the real Barb??

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:20:24 AM UTC-7, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
>
> the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
>
> entries, I placed in 8 lots‹my worst showing since 2009, but not my
>
> worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
>
> juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
>
> jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
>
> (nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
>
> Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
>
> fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
>
> and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
>
> nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
>
> miss it, don't even be late."
>
> --
>
> Barb,
>
> http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

Who were those other winners....how dare they???? don't they know you are the Queen of the Fair!!! Seriously though, I don't know how you do it year after year. I'm officially in awe of your prowess.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
>> the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
>> entries, I placed in 8 lots?my worst showing since 2009, but not my
>> worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
>> juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
>> jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
>> (nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
>> Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
>> fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
>> and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
>> nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
>> miss it, don't even be late."

> I'm a little bit suspicious ... I have read and re-read this post and
> am unable to find a match for "pickled dirt clods" ... what have you
> done with the real Barb??

lol

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:20:24 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
>the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
>entries, I placed in 8 lots‹my worst showing since 2009, but not my
>worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
>juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
>jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
>(nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
>Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
>fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
>and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
>nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
>miss it, don't even be late."

Pret-T-Good showing... of course you'd have blown the socks off all of
them with these gems: ruby pickeled beets and amythyst beet jelly. Oh
well, there's always next time... long live the Jam Lady!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
> the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
> entries, I placed in 8 lots‹my worst showing since 2009, but not my
> worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
> juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
> jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
> (nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
> Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
> fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
> and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
> nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> miss it, don't even be late."

Congrats, Barb! It could have been worse. At least you had a functioning
kitchen in which to prepare your entries. Many of my friends who've done
kitchen renovations had them take 2-3 times as long as originally
expected.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was

> Congrats, Barb! It could have been worse. At least you had a functioning
> kitchen in which to prepare your entries. Many of my friends who've done
> kitchen renovations had them take 2-3 times as long as originally
> expected.
>
> Cindy

Ours ran two weeks over the early maximum estimate. So glad it's done.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Brooklyn1 > wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:20:24 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
> >the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
> >entries, I placed in 8 lots‹my worst showing since 2009, but not my
> >worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
> >juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
> >jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
> >(nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
> >Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
> >fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
> >and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
> >nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> >miss it, don't even be late."

> Pret-T-Good showing... of course you'd have blown the socks off all of
> them with these gems: ruby pickeled beets and amythyst beet jelly. Oh
> well, there's always next time... long live the Jam Lady!

Couldn't enter the pickled boiled dirt chunks, Sheldon -- I won the blue
the last three consecutive years and that means I have to sit out the
lot for two years. Same thing happened this year with my tomato juice
-- it was the third consecutive year I'd won. That's 6 blues in 8
years, with the middle two years sat out.

--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ImStillMags > wrote:

> On Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:20:24 AM UTC-7, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was

> > nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> >
> > miss it, don't even be late."
> >
> > --
> >
> > Barb,
> >
> > http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

> Who were those other winners....how dare they???? don't they know you are
> the Queen of the Fair!!! Seriously though, I don't know how you do it year
> after year. I'm officially in awe of your prowess.

LOL! Competition is getting tougher. I'm getting older.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
tert in seattle > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
> > the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
> > entries, I placed in 8 lots?my worst showing since 2009, but not my
> > worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
> > juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
> > jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
> > (nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
> > Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
> > fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
> > and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
> > nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> > miss it, don't even be late."

> I'm a little bit suspicious ... I have read and re-read this post and
> am unable to find a match for "pickled dirt clods" ... what have you
> done with the real Barb??

See my reply to Sheldon. Ineligible for 2 years due to 3 consecutive
wins. Pity. :-)
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> > miss it, don't even be late."

> You done good again!!!! I am not surprised)))
>
> I'm proud of you as always!!!
>
> Hugggs!!!
> --

Thanks, O. Now I'm looking at about 10 pounds of gorgeous Colorado
peaches. The first batch of Boozy Floozy Peach Amaretto jam was made
yesterday. I'll make more plain tomorrow. Then maybe some Boozy Floozy
Fuzzy Navel jam. Time will tell. It's to be a hot weekend and I'll be
doing a talk and demo at the fair on Sunday. I think there's a fan. . .
..
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nancy Young > wrote:

> On 8/22/2013 9:20 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
> > the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20

> > nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> > miss it, don't even be late."

> I didn't even think you were entering this year as your kitchen
> was (is?) in upheaval, so that sounds like a great haul to me.
>
> nancy

Was, thank you Jesus!! I made 24 different things between July 12 and
August 10. The fruit butter was only 3 jars - the two I needed to
submit and one smaller one. Tomatoes are late andI made only three
pints of juice. A lot of very small batches. Two jars of raspberry
jelly, I think. Like that.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Gregory Morrow > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

> > The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
> >
> > the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
> >
> > nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> >
> > miss it, don't even be late."
> >
> > --
> >
> > Barb,
> >
> > http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

> Thanks for the report, luv, I always look forward to it...
>
> :-)

Halo, statue? Wow!! For real? A woice from the past!
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:20:24 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was

> > and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
> > nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> > miss it, don't even be late."

> You're all washed up! Who's Barb? Never heard of her!
>
> -sw

Huh! She was thinking about sending some stuff to you, too. I'll have
to tell her.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> On 8/22/2013 8:20 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was

> > nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> > miss it, don't even be late."
> >

> Congrats, Barb. The judges must have been bribed by other contestants,
> as I can't imagine anyone's entries being better than yours.

Heh! You're too kind, Janet. It's blind judging. A fun time for me,
to be sure.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 8/22/2013 9:20 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
> > the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
> > entries, I placed in 8 lotsĐmy worst showing since 2009, but not my
> > worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
> > juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
> > jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
> > (nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
> > Excellence.

> Still a good showing. Quite the track record!

Thanks, Ed.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:20:24 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
> >the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20

> >nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> >miss it, don't even be late."

> Congratulations on your continued success! How much food do you put
> up? Do you eat it all or give away a lot?
> Janet US

Usually between 300-400 jars each year. I donate a fair (tee-hee)
amount to fundraising auctions, give a lot as gifts, sell some.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> > nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
>> > miss it, don't even be late."

>> You done good again!!!! I am not surprised)))
>>
>> I'm proud of you as always!!!
>>
>> Hugggs!!!
>> --

> Thanks, O. Now I'm looking at about 10 pounds of gorgeous Colorado
> peaches. The first batch of Boozy Floozy Peach Amaretto jam was made
> yesterday. I'll make more plain tomorrow. Then maybe some Boozy Floozy
> Fuzzy Navel jam. Time will tell. It's to be a hot weekend and I'll be
> doing a talk and demo at the fair on Sunday. I think there's a fan. . .

heh I would search that out now!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 23:38:48 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> You're all washed up! Who's Barb? Never heard of her!

>> Huh! She was thinking about sending some stuff to you, too. I'll have
>> to tell her.

> That wasn't me. That was my imposter that posted that.
>
> I'll take last years beets, that's fine. I won't deprive rob of his
> pickles again. Or the recipe would be even better! I'll make them
> with canned beets and let you know how they turn out. That could save
> you a bundle if it works.

Her kindness overcomes the 'bundles'! Heck she even sent me a load of
wonderful stuff one year

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2013 8:37 PM, Cindy Fuller wrote:

> Congrats, Barb! It could have been worse. At least you had a functioning
> kitchen in which to prepare your entries. Many of my friends who've done
> kitchen renovations had them take 2-3 times as long as originally
> expected.

I expected a long drawn out torturous time when I had my kitchen
remodeled since I have heard that so many times. I don't understand
what takes so long. My kitchen is a pretty good size. To the studs
remodel, moved the window and the sink, re-sheetrocked (cathedral
ceiling, lots of sheetrock), installed 4 lights that weren't there
before, replaced the door, reconfigured an interior doorway, etc ...
guy was gone within a week and a half, no work on weekends.

Yes, we painted, had a guy come in to lay the floor, that was another
couple of days.

I don't know what takes weeks on end. Clearly I'm missing something.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:20:24 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
>the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
>entries, I placed in 8 lots‹my worst showing since 2009, but not my
>worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
>juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
>jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
>(nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
>Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
>fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
>and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
>nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
>miss it, don't even be late."

Congratulations. And all that with a complete kitchen reno in
progress!

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Ross@home
wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:20:24 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
> >the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
> >entries, I placed in 8 lots‹my worst showing since 2009, but not my
> >worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
> >juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
> >jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
> >(nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
> >Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
> >fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
> >and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
> >nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> >miss it, don't even be late."

> Congratulations. And all that with a complete kitchen reno in
> progress!
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

Naw, Ross, I didn't start until the kitchen was done because. . . . I
HAD NO KITCHEN! Ugh! LOL! Good thing I have a good sense of humor
about life in general. But between July 12 and August 10, I put up 175
jars of different stuff. It helped take my mind off the real life crap
happening in my life and I am grateful for that.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nancy Young > wrote:

> On 8/22/2013 8:37 PM, Cindy Fuller wrote:
>
> > Congrats, Barb! It could have been worse. At least you had a functioning
> > kitchen in which to prepare your entries. Many of my friends who've done
> > kitchen renovations had them take 2-3 times as long as originally
> > expected.

> I expected a long drawn out torturous time when I had my kitchen
> remodeled since I have heard that so many times. I don't understand
> what takes so long. My kitchen is a pretty good size. To the studs
> remodel, moved the window and the sink, re-sheetrocked (cathedral
> ceiling, lots of sheetrock), installed 4 lights that weren't there
> before, replaced the door, reconfigured an interior doorway, etc ...
> guy was gone within a week and a half, no work on weekends.
>
> Yes, we painted, had a guy come in to lay the floor, that was another
> couple of days.
>
> I don't know what takes weeks on end. Clearly I'm missing something.
>
> nancy

Who did the work, Nancy? Ours was done by a remodeling
company/contractor that had several projects underway at the same time.
They use subs for electrical, flooring, counters, plumbing,
painting/rocking. Scheduling the subs (who also work for other
remodelers) efficiently is what made it slow, I think. When we did a
remodel 20 years ago, ONE man took 8 working days to do it, from demo to
final, plus one day for the floor guy. He worked alone. FWIW, Rob
didn't "get it," either. :-)
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nancy Young > wrote:

> Yes, we painted, had a guy come in to lay the floor, that was another
> couple of days.
>
> I don't know what takes weeks on end. Clearly I'm missing something.
>
> nancy

And then there were a couple holidays in there, too. Ugh!
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/23/2013 10:59 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Nancy Young > wrote:

>> I expected a long drawn out torturous time when I had my kitchen
>> remodeled since I have heard that so many times. I don't understand
>> what takes so long. My kitchen is a pretty good size. To the studs
>> remodel, moved the window and the sink, re-sheetrocked (cathedral
>> ceiling, lots of sheetrock), installed 4 lights that weren't there
>> before, replaced the door, reconfigured an interior doorway, etc ...
>> guy was gone within a week and a half, no work on weekends.
>>
>> Yes, we painted, had a guy come in to lay the floor, that was another
>> couple of days.
>>
>> I don't know what takes weeks on end. Clearly I'm missing something.

> Who did the work, Nancy? Ours was done by a remodeling
> company/contractor that had several projects underway at the same time.
> They use subs for electrical, flooring, counters, plumbing,
> painting/rocking. Scheduling the subs (who also work for other
> remodelers) efficiently is what made it slow, I think. When we did a
> remodel 20 years ago, ONE man took 8 working days to do it, from demo to
> final, plus one day for the floor guy. He worked alone. FWIW, Rob
> didn't "get it," either. :-)

Heh, I'm with Rob, (and this isn't a criticism of your particular
contractor, it seems like SOP) but to me the whole idea of paying
a contractor is for them to arrange the subs efficiently, otherwise
I could do it myself. We did that with our bathroom remodel, had
our plumber come in two or three times when needed.

So, yes, my kitchen remodel was much like the second one you mention.
Sam came in to give an estimate. You want this this this, no problem,
you want this, no problem. I told him You're making me nervous,
nothing's a problem. Then he said he'd be done in a week. I almost
told him Never mind because now I know you're full of it. I take it
back, my kitchen had his undivided attention except for one day, and
he had his old Italian dad in for a couple of days, got it done and
disappeared into the night.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/23/2013 11:00 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Nancy Young > wrote:
>>
>> Yes, we painted, had a guy come in to lay the floor, that was another
>> couple of days.
>>
>> I don't know what takes weeks on end. Clearly I'm missing something.

> And then there were a couple holidays in there, too. Ugh!

I was watching along when you posted some pictures, I must say it
was worth the wait.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> tert in seattle > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> > The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
>> > the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
>> > entries, I placed in 8 lots?my worst showing since 2009, but not my
>> > worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
>> > juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
>> > jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
>> > (nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
>> > Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
>> > fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
>> > and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
>> > nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
>> > miss it, don't even be late."

>> I'm a little bit suspicious ... I have read and re-read this post and
>> am unable to find a match for "pickled dirt clods" ... what have you
>> done with the real Barb??

> See my reply to Sheldon. Ineligible for 2 years due to 3 consecutive
> wins. Pity. :-)

well I guess it's only fair (heh) of them to give someone else a chance

we're not worthy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/23/2013 12:02 PM, Gary wrote:

>>> I don't know what takes weeks on end. Clearly I'm missing something.
>>>

> Nancy. I often do remodels (for the painting) and time estimates
> ALWAYS run over. I've never seen one done on time in 40 years.
>
> Main problem that I see is that when you hire the contractor, he will
> give you a finish date. Let's say October 1. Then he calls in all of
> his subcontractors and he tells them this job needs to be finished by
> October 1. Well...every single one of those subcontractors now think
> that they have until October 1 to finish their work. They don't think
> about the other ones that have to come in later. This is why the time
> estimates go way over.

It doesn't make any sense, but I believe you. They need a timeline.
And subs that aren't so overbooked that they're unresponsive.

I get that things don't go smoothly. I'm not trying to make it sound
like it's all so easy. I was just wondering why remodels take weeks
and months once the tear out starts.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2013 9:20 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> The 19th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report: It was the best of times, it was
> the worst of times. Wait, that was Charles Dickens, I believe. Of 20
> entries, I placed in 8 lots‹my worst showing since 2009, but not my
> worst ever. <Whew!> The particulars: 3 BLUE (Stewed tomatoes, tomato
> juice, nectarine jam); 2 RED ribbons (watermelon pickles, raspberry
> jelly), 1 WHITE ribbon (peach jam), and 2 PINK ribbons
> (nectarine-apricot butter, blackberry jam). AND a Ball Award for
> Excellence. All things considered, I'm happy and excited to get to the
> fairgrounds with my kids. Chris' flights were all hosed up last night
> and he didn't get in until 12:30 a.m. and I didn't get to bed until
> nearly 2:00 a.m. Uffda! "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't
> miss it, don't even be late."

A day late but congratulations once again, Barb! As many others have
mentioned, a very good showing even with the kitchen renovation.

Jill