DJS0302

Default Homemade candy shelf life

Do things like homemade fudge or divinity ever go bad? I know the quality can
deteriorate but do they actually spoil? We always make a lot of candy around
the holidays but apparently we made too much and didn't put it all out last
year. I was cleaning out the closet and found a sealed tupperware bowl that I
had been missing full of fudge. It was still soft and it smelled okay but I
was wondering if was still safe to eat. It's a cooked fudge made with sugar,
butter, marshmallows, evaporated milk, chocolate chips, and nuts.
PENMART01

>(DJS0302)
>
>Do things like homemade fudge or divinity ever go bad? I know the quality
>can
>deteriorate but do they actually spoil? We always make a lot of candy around
>the holidays but apparently we made too much and didn't put it all out last
>year. I was cleaning out the closet and found a sealed tupperware bowl that
>had been missing full of fudge. It was still soft and it smelled okay but I
>was wondering if was still safe to eat. It's a cooked fudge made with sugar,
>butter, marshmallows, evaporated milk, chocolate chips, and nuts.

Sugar is a natural preservative... marshmallow and chocolate chips contain lots
of sugar as well... I'd say it's perfectly safe to eat... even the nuts should
not have gone rancid.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>(DJS0302)
>
>Do things like homemade fudge or divinity ever go bad? I know the quality
>can
>deteriorate but do they actually spoil? We always make a lot of candy around
>the holidays but apparently we made too much and didn't put it all out last
>year. I was cleaning out the closet and found a sealed tupperware bowl that
>had been missing full of fudge. It was still soft and it smelled okay but I
>was wondering if was still safe to eat. It's a cooked fudge made with sugar,
>butter, marshmallows, evaporated milk, chocolate chips, and nuts.

Sugar is a natural preservative... marshmallow and chocolate chips contain lots
of sugar as well... I'd say it's perfectly safe to eat... even the nuts should
not have gone rancid.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Vox Humana

"DJS0302" > wrote in message
> Do things like homemade fudge or divinity ever go bad? I know the quality

can
> deteriorate but do they actually spoil? We always make a lot of candy

around
> the holidays but apparently we made too much and didn't put it all out

last
> year. I was cleaning out the closet and found a sealed tupperware bowl

that I
> had been missing full of fudge. It was still soft and it smelled okay but

> was wondering if was still safe to eat. It's a cooked fudge made with

sugar,
> butter, marshmallows, evaporated milk, chocolate chips, and nuts.

It is probably safe to eat but the fat would most likely have gone rancid.
Rancid fat is implicated in heart disease. Therefore, even if it wasn't
toxic from bacteria, it might not taste very good and it might be unhealthy.

Shelf life The Wolf Preserving 3 05-05-2010 03:30 AM
Shelf life Zinc Potterman Preserving 7 20-07-2006 09:57 PM
shelf life k-dawg Winemaking 2 01-02-2006 06:12 PM
Shelf life of ham Terry General Cooking 6 26-01-2006 01:03 AM
What is the shelf life for..... dizzi Preserving 6 18-08-2004 06:13 AM