Homemade candy shelf life

Old 04-11-2004, 07:44 PM
DJS0302
Usenet poster

Default Homemade candy shelf life

Do things like homemade fudge or divinity ever go bad? I know the quality can
deteriorate but do they actually spoil? We always make a lot of candy around
the holidays but apparently we made too much and didn't put it all out last
year. I was cleaning out the closet and found a sealed tupperware bowl that I
had been missing full of fudge. It was still soft and it smelled okay but I
was wondering if was still safe to eat. It's a cooked fudge made with sugar,
butter, marshmallows, evaporated milk, chocolate chips, and nuts.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:56 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

(DJS0302)

Do things like homemade fudge or divinity ever go bad? I know the quality
can
deteriorate but do they actually spoil? We always make a lot of candy around
the holidays but apparently we made too much and didn't put it all out last
year. I was cleaning out the closet and found a sealed tupperware bowl that
had been missing full of fudge. It was still soft and it smelled okay but I
was wondering if was still safe to eat. It's a cooked fudge made with sugar,
butter, marshmallows, evaporated milk, chocolate chips, and nuts.

Sugar is a natural preservative... marshmallow and chocolate chips contain lots
of sugar as well... I'd say it's perfectly safe to eat... even the nuts should
not have gone rancid.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Old 05-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"DJS0302" wrote in message
Do things like homemade fudge or divinity ever go bad? I know the quality

can
deteriorate but do they actually spoil? We always make a lot of candy

around
the holidays but apparently we made too much and didn't put it all out

last
year. I was cleaning out the closet and found a sealed tupperware bowl

that I
had been missing full of fudge. It was still soft and it smelled okay but

was wondering if was still safe to eat. It's a cooked fudge made with

sugar,
butter, marshmallows, evaporated milk, chocolate chips, and nuts.

It is probably safe to eat but the fat would most likely have gone rancid.
Rancid fat is implicated in heart disease. Therefore, even if it wasn't
toxic from bacteria, it might not taste very good and it might be unhealthy.

Shelf life of Beef Broth Mike Preserving 17 18-05-2004 04:52 PM
Egg Shelf Life? N. Thornton Baking 7 17-04-2004 06:47 PM
egg shelf life Vox Humana Baking 0 06-04-2004 04:24 PM
Homemade Sauerkraut nuke Recipes (moderated) 0 06-11-2003 02:00 AM
what is the shelf life of wheat bran and oat bran? john Baking 2 01-11-2003 06:13 AM