FoodBanter.com

-   -   Homemade candy shelf life (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/42425-homemade-candy-shelf-life.html)

DJS0302 04-11-2004 08:44 PM

Homemade candy shelf life

Do things like homemade fudge or divinity ever go bad? I know the quality can
deteriorate but do they actually spoil? We always make a lot of candy around
the holidays but apparently we made too much and didn't put it all out last
year. I was cleaning out the closet and found a sealed tupperware bowl that I
had been missing full of fudge. It was still soft and it smelled okay but I
was wondering if was still safe to eat. It's a cooked fudge made with sugar,
butter, marshmallows, evaporated milk, chocolate chips, and nuts.

PENMART01 04-11-2004 08:56 PM

>(DJS0302)
>
>Do things like homemade fudge or divinity ever go bad? I know the quality
>can
>deteriorate but do they actually spoil? We always make a lot of candy around
>the holidays but apparently we made too much and didn't put it all out last
>year. I was cleaning out the closet and found a sealed tupperware bowl that
>had been missing full of fudge. It was still soft and it smelled okay but I
>was wondering if was still safe to eat. It's a cooked fudge made with sugar,
>butter, marshmallows, evaporated milk, chocolate chips, and nuts.

Sugar is a natural preservative... marshmallow and chocolate chips contain lots
of sugar as well... I'd say it's perfectly safe to eat... even the nuts should
not have gone rancid.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01 04-11-2004 08:56 PM

Vox Humana 05-11-2004 01:06 AM

"DJS0302" > wrote in message
> Do things like homemade fudge or divinity ever go bad? I know the quality

can
> deteriorate but do they actually spoil? We always make a lot of candy

around
> the holidays but apparently we made too much and didn't put it all out

last
> year. I was cleaning out the closet and found a sealed tupperware bowl

that I
> had been missing full of fudge. It was still soft and it smelled okay but

> was wondering if was still safe to eat. It's a cooked fudge made with

sugar,
> butter, marshmallows, evaporated milk, chocolate chips, and nuts.

It is probably safe to eat but the fat would most likely have gone rancid.
Rancid fat is implicated in heart disease. Therefore, even if it wasn't
toxic from bacteria, it might not taste very good and it might be unhealthy.

Scott 05-11-2004 01:14 AM

In article >,
ospam (DJS0302) wrote:

> Do things like homemade fudge or divinity ever go bad? I know the quality can
> deteriorate but do they actually spoil? We always make a lot of candy around
> the holidays but apparently we made too much and didn't put it all out last
> year. I was cleaning out the closet and found a sealed tupperware bowl that I
> had been missing full of fudge. It was still soft and it smelled okay but I
> was wondering if was still safe to eat. It's a cooked fudge made with sugar,
> butter, marshmallows, evaporated milk, chocolate chips, and nuts.

From
<http://www.thefudgery.ca/html/faqs.html>

"Shelf life?
Our fudge contains no added preservatives. Sugar, a natural ingredient,
is also a great natural preservative. Our fudge will not go "bad". After
a period of time, the fudge will start to lose it's moisture content.
This will not effect the taste or flavour, but will start to firm up.
Our 200 gram fudge size is shrink wrapped.* Allows for a 2 to 4 month
shelf life at room temperature, 4 to 6 months in the fridge, and freezes
well if protected for 1 year."

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

Scott 05-11-2004 01:14 AM