Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Skinless Pork Belly Strips

Got some for cheap from the Korean Market, but I've never cooked them
before. Looking for a good simple recipe...probably just use them in a
sandwich unless I find something nice and simple
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, 30 April 2013 14:34:27 UTC+10, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
> Got some for cheap from the Korean Market, but I've never cooked them
> before. Looking for a good simple recipe...probably just use them in a
> sandwich unless I find something nice and simple

If these are the thinly sliced ones, they're usually eaten as Korean BBQ. Fry them, and garlic slices, wrap them in perilla/shiso leaves or lettuce with some shredded green onions/green shallots/scallions, and KOrean BBQ sauce (ssamjang) (mainly a mix of Korean chilli paste (gochujang) and bean paste (doenjang)).

Fry them and make sandwiches will work fine.

If they're the thick strips, then you can boil them and thinly slice, or red-cook them (simmer in soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, ginger, garlic).

For either, you can do zhajiangmian. Chop the pork belly into small bits (I leave them as long top-to-bottom matchsticks), fry, add garlic and ginger and fry a bit more, and add bean sauce and green onions, and serve with noodles. (Chinese bean sauce, or hoisin sauce, or miso/doenjang mixed with some water so it's a runny sauce.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhajiangmian

The traditional meat is pork belly, but modern versions will use ground pork/pork mince. The Korean version jajangmyeon uses a dark bean paste, and often beef instead of pork.

Hmm - this tempts me to do an all-pork-belly feast! Dong Po pork, zhajiangmian, boiled pork belly slices with kimchi, bacon salad, sliced pancetta, pork belly stewed with beans and greens, Chinese BBQ pork belly, pork belly cubes on skewers grilled with cumin and crushed chilli/chile.
Experienced Member

Location: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds View Post
Got some for cheap from the Korean Market, but I've never cooked them
before. Looking for a good simple recipe...probably just use them in a
sandwich unless I find something nice and simple

I love the Korean bbq and the Korean market are really great. You'll see a whole lot of great thing there and the street foods are really good too. I miss being in Korea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 12:49:44 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 22:35:35 -0700 (PDT), Timo wrote:
>>
>> > or red-cook them (simmer in soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, ginger, garlic).

>> Fried lightly, then braised. From last month. This shit was great,
>> especially the leftovers.
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>>
>> -sw

>that looks great

With all that char they look more grilled than braised.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 22:35:35 -0700 (PDT), Timo wrote:
>
> > or red-cook them (simmer in soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, ginger, garlic).

> Fried lightly, then braised. From last month. This shit was great,
> especially the leftovers.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>
> -sw

that looks great

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Timo > wrote:

> On Tuesday, 30 April 2013 14:34:27 UTC+10, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
> > Got some for cheap from the Korean Market, but I've never cooked them
> > before. Looking for a good simple recipe...probably just use them in a
> > sandwich unless I find something nice and simple

> If these are the thinly sliced ones, they're usually eaten as Korean BBQ. Fry
> them, and garlic slices, wrap them in perilla/shiso leaves or lettuce with
> some shredded green onions/green shallots/scallions, and KOrean BBQ sauce
> (ssamjang) (mainly a mix of Korean chilli paste (gochujang) and bean paste
> (doenjang)).
>
> Fry them and make sandwiches will work fine.
>
> If they're the thick strips, then you can boil them and thinly slice, or
> red-cook them (simmer in soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, ginger, garlic).

They usually label thin sliced stuff shabu shabu, but this stuff is
labelled thick even though I doubt it's more than an eighth of an inch.
I think I'll just fry them and make sandwiches.

Thanks