Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth
Default Help help..

Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 03:37:50 +0000, bigwheel
> wrote:

>Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
>carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
>simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.

Cut and add carrots, celery, onion. Toss in a bay leaf or two. Once
the meat falls off the bone you can pick it out. Salt and pepper.
When the carrots are cooked through you can add some noodles.

It will be even better tomorrow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 03:37:50 +0000, bigwheel
> wrote:

>Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
>carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
>simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.

For a smoked turkey carcass, I would use the broth for bean, lentil or
split pea soup.
Cook the carcass, drain, pick the meat off of the bones. Taste the
meat. If it is almost tasteless because all the flavor has gone into
the broth, share it with the dogs and cats. Otherwise, set aside to
add to the soup later. Dice an onion , some celery, some carrot and
add to the broth along with (depending upon how much broth you have),
about one pound of whatever legume you have decided to use, salt and
pepper and maybe a bit of garlic.. Simmer until everything is
tender, check for salt. Eat.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 03:37:50 +0000, bigwheel
> wrote:

>Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
>carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
>simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.

I forgot to mention for you to either skim the fat off of the hot
broth or refrigerate the broth overnight and lift the solid disk of
fat off in the morning and discard.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bigwheel wrote:

> Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
> carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
> simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.

Simmer your carcass for at least 12 hours to extract all the goodies. Then
cool it off, skim off the hardened fat the next morning and proceed to make
soup using your killer broth for the base. The last batch I made is my
bestest ever.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 03:37:50 +0000, bigwheel
> > wrote:
>

>> Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
>> carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
>> simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.

> Cut and add carrots, celery, onion. Toss in a bay leaf or two. Once
> the meat falls off the bone you can pick it out. Salt and pepper.
> When the carrots are cooked through you can add some noodles.
>
> It will be even better tomorrow.

Plus potatoes, parsley. I keep noodles separate.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2013 7:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 03:37:50 +0000, bigwheel
> > wrote:
>

>> Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
>> carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
>> simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.

> Cut and add carrots, celery, onion. Toss in a bay leaf or two. Once
> the meat falls off the bone you can pick it out. Salt and pepper.
> When the carrots are cooked through you can add some noodles.
>
> It will be even better tomorrow.

I have never found *smoked* turkey to make good leftover anything (other
than maybe a sandwich). I tried creamed turkey, turky pot pie, turky
tetrazzini. Even after simmering I could still taste the smoke in the meat.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/16/2013 7:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 03:37:50 +0000, bigwheel
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
>>> carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
>>> simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.

>> Cut and add carrots, celery, onion. Toss in a bay leaf or two. Once
>> the meat falls off the bone you can pick it out. Salt and pepper.
>> When the carrots are cooked through you can add some noodles.
>>
>> It will be even better tomorrow.
>>

> I have never found *smoked* turkey to make good leftover anything (other
> than maybe a sandwich). I tried creamed turkey, turky pot pie, turky
> tetrazzini. Even after simmering I could still taste the smoke in the
> meat.

so why is that a problem? I just had a cup of smoked turkey broth to start
my day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2013 11:14 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 3/16/2013 7:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 03:37:50 +0000, bigwheel

>>> Cut and add carrots, celery, onion. Toss in a bay leaf or two. Once
>>> the meat falls off the bone you can pick it out. Salt and pepper.
>>> When the carrots are cooked through you can add some noodles.
>>>
>>> It will be even better tomorrow.
>>>

>> I have never found *smoked* turkey to make good leftover anything (other
>> than maybe a sandwich). I tried creamed turkey, turky pot pie, turky
>> tetrazzini. Even after simmering I could still taste the smoke in the
>> meat.
>>

> so why is that a problem? I just had a cup of smoked turkey broth to start
> my day.

The problem is it didn't taste good. It was fine for just a turkey
dinner but not for anything else. The smoked turkey overwhelmed it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I have never found *smoked* turkey to make good leftover anything (other
> than maybe a sandwich). I tried creamed turkey, turky pot pie, turky
> tetrazzini. Even after simmering I could still taste the smoke in the meat.

I bought "Liquid Smoke" once years ago. I think the ingredients were only
hickory smoke and water. I used half the recommended amount on a steak and
it was very overpowering and nasty. I never used it again and eventually
threw the bottle in the trash.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:

-snip-

>The problem is it didn't taste good. It was fine for just a turkey
>dinner but not for anything else. The smoked turkey overwhelmed it.

I buy smoked turkey wings/necks/drumsticks for soup.

I occasionally smoke a turkey breast- but haven't ever felt the urge
to smoke a whole turkey.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:07:47 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> bigwheel wrote:
>

> > Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey

> > carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been

> > simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.

> Simmer your carcass for at least 12 hours to extract all the goodies. Then
>
> cool it off, skim off the hardened fat the next morning and proceed to make
>
> soup using your killer broth for the base. The last batch I made is my
>
> bestest ever.
>

> G.

Smoked turkey is an abomination. There has never been a need for smoking
turkey IMHO. Artificial smoke is particularly obnoxious and should be
banned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2013 11:50 AM, Roy wrote:
> On Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:07:47 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
>> bigwheel wrote:
>>

>>> Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey

>>> carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been

>>> simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.

>> Simmer your carcass for at least 12 hours to extract all the goodies. Then
>>
>> cool it off, skim off the hardened fat the next morning and proceed to make
>>
>> soup using your killer broth for the base. The last batch I made is my
>>
>> bestest ever.
>>

>> G.

> Smoked turkey is an abomination. There has never been a need for smoking
> turkey IMHO. Artificial smoke is particularly obnoxious and should be
> banned.

That's why I said I couldn't make a darn thing that tasted good out of
the leftover smoked turkey. (Granted, it was years ago my brother
smoked the turkey, and a funny story.) Smoked turkey just doesn't work
well in other dishes. YMMV.

I won't say there was *never* a need for smoking turkey. Shooting a
wild turkeys to provide food over a harsh winter when living on the
frontier... but the last time I checked, it's 2013.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2013 11:26 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I have never found *smoked* turkey to make good leftover anything (other
>> than maybe a sandwich). I tried creamed turkey, turky pot pie, turky
>> tetrazzini. Even after simmering I could still taste the smoke in the meat.

> I bought "Liquid Smoke" once years ago. I think the ingredients were only
> hickory smoke and water. I used half the recommended amount on a steak and
> it was very overpowering and nasty. I never used it again and eventually
> threw the bottle in the trash.
>
> G.

My mother used to use Colgin's Liquid Smoke. For what, I don't know. I
have a bottle of "Kitchen Bouquet Browning and Seasoning Sauce" in the
cupboard. I have no idea how old it is. I'm saving it for when recipes
from the 1960's come back in style.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 08:50:37 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
wrote:

> Smoked turkey is an abomination. There has never been a need for smoking
> turkey IMHO.

<shrug> I like it and used to make it for Thanksgiving when I had a
charcoal Weber. Jill's right though. It's not good for much else
although I enjoy it in sandwiches too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 10:26:53 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> I bought "Liquid Smoke" once years ago. I think the ingredients were only
> hickory smoke and water. I used half the recommended amount on a steak and
> it was very overpowering and nasty. I never used it again and eventually
> threw the bottle in the trash.

Liquid smoke is best used by the drop and I use it whenever I want to
evoke outside cooking... but I cringe every time I see a recipe using
it in fractions of a cup. Even a tablespoon would be too much given
the non-commercial amounts I make when I cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 12:39:22 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 3/17/2013 11:26 AM, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>

> > I bought "Liquid Smoke" once years ago. I think the ingredients were only
> > hickory smoke and water. I used half the recommended amount on a steak and
> > it was very overpowering and nasty. I never used it again and eventually
> > threw the bottle in the trash.
> >
> > G.
> >

> My mother used to use Colgin's Liquid Smoke. For what, I don't know. I
> have a bottle of "Kitchen Bouquet Browning and Seasoning Sauce" in the
> cupboard. I have no idea how old it is. I'm saving it for when recipes
> from the 1960's come back in style.

Kitchen Bouquet is good for making a sauce that's too blonde darker.
Seasoning, it's not. Maggi is one I tried, but it didn't cut the
mustard for me. I prefer real (Chinese) soy sauce or Worcestershire,
Maggi has a weird and weak "wannabe" flavor I just couldn't get used
to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> > I bought "Liquid Smoke" once years ago. I think the ingredients were only
> > hickory smoke and water. I used half the recommended amount on a steak and
> > it was very overpowering and nasty. I never used it again and eventually
> > threw the bottle in the trash.

> My mother used to use Colgin's Liquid Smoke. For what, I don't know. I
> have a bottle of "Kitchen Bouquet Browning and Seasoning Sauce" in the
> cupboard. I have no idea how old it is. I'm saving it for when recipes
> from the 1960's come back in style.

But you got a charge from hearing about an ingredient somebody didn't like.
Admit it.

BTW, Garrrry, you probably used too much of LS. I shake in just a few drops
when I make a sauce. I have learned through experience that if something has a
strong taste, I should use it sparingly so as not to overpower the other
flavors in the dish. You won't find common sense cooking like that in your
Good Book.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Thanks Jill..and to all the folks who offered helpful advice on this project. I can usually handle one turkey a year on T-Day myself...not sure what I was thinking on this The smoked turkey carcass soup was not meant to be. As mentioned the meat taken off the bones was not fit to eat and the more the broth was sampled it was generally agreed that it was not overly flavorful either. Will agree the smoke flavor was not pleasant in soup form..but then again it was also greasy tasting even though it was chilled overnight. It got dumped. One more thing I will know not to try next time. lol.

Last edited by bigwheel : 18-03-2013 at 03:18 AM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 17, 7:45*am, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 10:26:53 -0500, Gary > wrote:
> > I bought "Liquid Smoke" once years ago. *I think the ingredients were only
> > hickory smoke and water. I used half the recommended amount on a steak and
> > it was very overpowering and nasty. *I never used it again and eventually
> > threw the bottle in the trash.

> Liquid smoke is best used by the drop and I use it whenever I want to
> evoke outside cooking... but I cringe every time I see a recipe using
> it in fractions of a cup. *Even a tablespoon would be too much given
> the non-commercial amounts I make when I cook.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

I like to mix canned tuna and mayo with a couple of drops of liquid
smoke and use that as a spread on crackers. Tasty!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 15, 5:37*pm, bigwheel >
wrote:
> Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
> carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
> simmering for a good bit. *What is the next step? Thanks.
>
> --
> bigwheel

We make jook,

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2006/11...n-theres-jook/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Mar 15, 5:37 pm, bigwheel >
> wrote:
> > Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
> > carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
> > simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.

> We make jook,
>
> http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2006/11...n-theres-jook/

I'm sure that tastes good but looks more like what the baby threw up. heheh
What is Hawaiian Salt? Are you folks holding out on the rest of us?

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 00:51:15 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Mar 15, 5:37*pm, bigwheel >
>wrote:
>> Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
>> carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
>> simmering for a good bit. *What is the next step? Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> bigwheel

>We make jook,
>
>http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2006/11...n-theres-jook/

My wife just nudged me from the great beyond-- she wants some of that!
Turkey- rice- and *salted turnip*! Never hear of it before-- but
salt and turnip were 2 of her favorite foods.

Here's a bit more about Chung choi for us mainlanders who aren't
familiar with it-
http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Chung_choy

I might have seen the flat leaves labeled as mustard in the Asian
supermarket.

I'll be making some of this-- I just started thawing the turkey.

I can't believe I've never browned the turkey bones before making
stock-- As soon as I read that, I slapped myself in the head-- Of
course you brown them!

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> bigwheel > wrote:
>
>> Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
>> carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
>> simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.

> Sorry I'm late to the party but THROW it away! I highly respect
> utilizing all parts of a good product but draw the line at the turkey
> carcass and the string they tie it up with. For me it's garbage. When I
> first read this I thought is said "diseased."
>
> jay

Not!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

> In article >,
> bigwheel > wrote:
>
> > Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
> > carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
> > simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.

> Sorry I'm late to the party but THROW it away! I highly respect
> utilizing all parts of a good product but draw the line at the turkey
> carcass and the string they tie it up with. For me it's garbage. When I
> first read this I thought is said "diseased."

Each to his own but not using a turkey carcass for stock/broth is a sad
waste, imo. It's a great base for vegetable soup.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> I like to mix canned tuna and mayo with a couple of drops of liquid
> smoke and use that as a spread on crackers. Tasty!

Sounds good. Also, not at all Spam-like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/18/2013 10:54 AM, Gary wrote:
> jay wrote:
>>
>> In article >,
>> bigwheel > wrote:
>>
>>> Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
>>> carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
>>> simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.

>> Sorry I'm late to the party but THROW it away! I highly respect
>> utilizing all parts of a good product but draw the line at the turkey
>> carcass and the string they tie it up with. For me it's garbage. When I
>> first read this I thought is said "diseased."

> Each to his own but not using a turkey carcass for stock/broth is a sad
> waste, imo. It's a great base for vegetable soup.
>
> G.

But not "vegetarian" soup.

I still say smoked turkey doesn't taste good when you try to use it for
anything (other than sandwiches) after the main meal. BTDT. It didn't
work.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 05:15:56 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 15, 5:37 pm, bigwheel >
> > wrote:
> > > Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
> > > carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
> > > simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.

> > We make jook,
> >
> > http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2006/11...n-theres-jook/

> I'm sure that tastes good but looks more like what the baby threw up. heheh

It's pretty darned good when made by ABCs (American Born Chinese), but
I've had it in China and the old fashioned way is pretty bad.

> What is Hawaiian Salt? Are you folks holding out on the rest of us?

Where have you been Gary? They are not only surrounded by ocean, they
will sell you sea salt in various colors too!

http://www.hawaiisalt.com/welcome.htm
http://www.nohbetter.com/index.php?m...&products_id=7

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/18/2013 12:15 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 15, 5:37 pm, bigwheel >
>> wrote:
>>> Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
>>> carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
>>> simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.

>> We make jook,
>>
>> http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2006/11...n-theres-jook/

> I'm sure that tastes good but looks more like what the baby threw up. heheh
> What is Hawaiian Salt? Are you folks holding out on the rest of us?

That's not a very appealing picture. The jook that I make looks a lot
nicer. It used to be one of the few things that my mother-in-law would
eat. My jook was turkey or chicken based with a prominent ginger taste.
If you scorch the bottom of the pan, you get a wonderful taste - or you
can just add some MSG.

Essentially Hawaiian salt is just big granules of salt. I wouldn't use
that in cooking unless I was seasoning a steak and wanted some crunch.

> G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
>Gary wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> We make jook,
>>>
>>> http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2006/11...n-theres-jook/

>> I'm sure that tastes good but looks more like what the baby threw up. heheh

>That's not a very appealing picture.

For something called "jook" it looks jook fine... with those lumps I
bet it hurt spurting out. hehe

>The jook that I make looks a lot nicer.

Mayhaps folks would believe had you shown us yours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/18/2013 1:12 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 00:51:15 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 15, 5:37 pm, bigwheel >
>> wrote:
>>> Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
>>> carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
>>> simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> bigwheel

>> We make jook,
>>
>> http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2006/11...n-theres-jook/

> My wife just nudged me from the great beyond-- she wants some of that!
> Turkey- rice- and *salted turnip*! Never hear of it before-- but
> salt and turnip were 2 of her favorite foods.

I never make it with salted turnip but evidently lots of folks do. I
slice ginger as thinly as I can and add it to the soup. No need to peel.
It's good food for sick folks as well as those that are fit.

If comfort food is food that takes up back in time to our childhood,
this stuff probably takes us back as far as you can go.

> Here's a bit more about Chung choi for us mainlanders who aren't
> familiar with it-
> http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Chung_choy
>
> I might have seen the flat leaves labeled as mustard in the Asian
> supermarket.
>
> I'll be making some of this-- I just started thawing the turkey.
>
> I can't believe I've never browned the turkey bones before making
> stock-- As soon as I read that, I slapped myself in the head-- Of
> course you brown them!

I've never browned turkey bones either but that could work. I scorched
the soup once and those parts were tasty.

> Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/18/2013 9:39 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> Gary wrote:

>>> I'm sure that tastes good but looks more like what the baby threw up. heheh

>> That's not a very appealing picture.

> For something called "jook" it looks jook fine... with those lumps I
> bet it hurt spurting out. hehe
>
>> The jook that I make looks a lot nicer.

> Mayhaps folks would believe had you shown us yours.

I'm sorry, since I'm not a liar, I don't feel the slightest need to
provide photographic evidence. That's your bag, not mine.

If you've ever made this soup or any other kind of chicken soup you'd
already know that soup doesn't look anything like it does in the
picture. Obviously, that's a fake prop photo for illustration purposes -
sort of like the smutty food photos you try to pass off...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:37:40 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 3/18/2013 9:39 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> >> That's not a very appealing picture.

> > For something called "jook" it looks jook fine... with those lumps I
> > bet it hurt spurting out. hehe
> >
> >> The jook that I make looks a lot nicer.

> > Mayhaps folks would believe had you shown us yours.

> I'm sorry, since I'm not a liar, I don't feel the slightest need to
> provide photographic evidence. That's your bag, not mine.

I doubt he has a clue about jook, even with a visual clue.

> If you've ever made this soup or any other kind of chicken soup you'd
> already know that soup doesn't look anything like it does in the
> picture. Obviously, that's a fake prop photo for illustration purposes -
> sort of like the smutty food photos you try to pass off...

He's suuuch a card.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:30:26 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> I never make it with salted turnip but evidently lots of folks do. I
> slice ginger as thinly as I can and add it to the soup. No need to peel.
> It's good food for sick folks as well as those that are fit.

Ginger is SO good in simple chicken & rice soup... the fast kind where
you just simmer raw chicken in water until done, shred and add it back
to the broth with some precooked rice (mine isn't thick, like jook).
Chopped green onion makes it pretty, but isn't absolutely necessary.
I didn't realize my kids even liked it until DD told me recently that
she craves "Mom's chicken and rice soup" when she's not feeling well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/18/2013 11:25 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:30:26 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> I never make it with salted turnip but evidently lots of folks do. I
>> slice ginger as thinly as I can and add it to the soup. No need to peel.
>> It's good food for sick folks as well as those that are fit.

> Ginger is SO good in simple chicken & rice soup... the fast kind where
> you just simmer raw chicken in water until done, shred and add it back
> to the broth with some precooked rice (mine isn't thick, like jook).
> Chopped green onion makes it pretty, but isn't absolutely necessary.
> I didn't realize my kids even liked it until DD told me recently that
> she craves "Mom's chicken and rice soup" when she's not feeling well.

I never liked jook when I was growing up - it seemed kind strange. I
started making it for my mother-in-law and then found it to be kind of
tasty. Laying some slices of Chinese roast pork would probably give it
some extra appeal.

The important thing to remember is that you have to use Japanese style
short grain rice to make this dish. If you're making American style rice
soup, long grain would be fine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:26:54 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> The important thing to remember is that you have to use Japanese style
> short grain rice to make this dish. If you're making American style rice
> soup, long grain would be fine.

I detest long grained rice of any variety and use medium grain as my
default rice, but buy short whenever I see it in smaller (5lb) bags.
I just bought some Japanese short grain brown rice, so that will be
interesting! Hubby is the one who should be eating the brown rice,
but he doesn't particularly like it... so I have to switch back and
forth between brown and white.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsi1[_17_] View Post
On Mar 15, 5:37*pm, bigwheel
wrote:
Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
simmering for a good bit. *What is the next step? Thanks.

--
bigwheel

We make jook,

After Turkey, There’s Jook | The Tasty Island
Hey now that looks good. Got it on the to do list. Thanks. Do yall ever call Turkeys "jooks?"..I have heard that expression before seems like in reference to live birds..maybe chickens? I know yall have some highly colorful euphemisms..lol. This is the first Hiwayawn dish I ever seen that does not call for Spam. What's up with that? lol.
Member

Location: Honolulu

bigwheel,

Jook is the term for Chinese rice porridge soup, also known as Congee. Jook comes in a number of variations, from plain, to chicken, beef, turkey, even frog jook. I wouldn't doubt they sell rat and dog Jook somewhere in China.

I don't know what websites you're looking at, but most popular dishes in Hawaii do not have SPAM in it.

If you're interested in Jook, you might also be interested in Tinola, a Filipino soup made with Chicken and its stock, lots of ginger, green papaya and leaves called Malungay. Easy to prepare, Tinola is a very comforting and delicious soup, great for colds. Think of it as the asian version of Chicken Noodle Soup. Same for Jook.

Here's how Tinola looks...

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/images1...l_spoonful.jpg

Grindz of the Day: Tatsuo’s, Chef Hardy’s Veal Burger, McD’s Saimin & Filipino Faves | The Tasty Island

First time posting here.

Aloha,
Pomai
The Tasty Island | Honolulu Food Blog