limey

Default Damsel: Acorn Squash

Here's a favorite recipe of mine which I have made many times:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pecan Squash

2 acorn squash, about 1 pound each
2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs or soda cracker
crumbs
1/3 cup pecans -- coarsely chopped
1/3 cup margarine or butter -- softened
3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
orange juice, to moisten
whole cranberry sauce (optional) to
garnish

Pierce each whole squash in several places to allow steam to escape.
Microwave on High for 6 minutes. Cut squash crosswise in halves; remove
seeds and arrange cut-side down on serving plate. Cover tightly and
microwave until tender, 7 to 9 minutes longer. Remove steam; cut thin slice
from pointed end to prevent tipping.

Mix remaining ingredients except cranberry sauce. Arrange squash halves
cut-sides up on serving plate. Spoon 1/4 of the crumb mixture into each
squash half. Microwave uncovered on High until filling is hot, 3 to 5
minutes. Top each squash half with a little cranberry sauce, if desired.

Servings: 4

Source:
"Betty Crocker's Microwave Cookbook, 1981 edition"

limey at toad dot net

rosie readandpost

my fav recipe for acorn squash is to micro the halves until "just"
tender.
then put a big slice of butter and SF DIVINCI pancake syrup into
each half.
micro again, until butter is melted and syrup is bubbling.

Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 13:28:23 -0600, " rosie readandpost"
> wrote:

>my fav recipe for acorn squash is to micro the halves until "just"
>tender.
>then put a big slice of butter and SF DIVINCI pancake syrup into
>each half.
>micro again, until butter is melted and syrup is bubbling.

I'm gonna have to check this out. Thanks, Rosie!

Carol

Kathy

While an acorn squash is baking in the oven or microwave, saute chopped
onion and apple with some loose pork sausage. Drain the excess fat. Halve
and seed the baked squash and stuff it with the sausage mixture. Yum.

Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 04:47:30 GMT, "Kathy" > wrote:

>While an acorn squash is baking in the oven or microwave, saute chopped
>onion and apple with some loose pork sausage. Drain the excess fat. Halve
>and seed the baked squash and stuff it with the sausage mixture. Yum.

Oh my! Thanks!

Carol

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "Kathy" > said:

> While an acorn squash is baking in the oven or microwave, saute chopped
> onion and apple with some loose pork sausage. Drain the excess fat. Halve
> and seed the baked squash and stuff it with the sausage mixture. Yum.

Any reason why one couldn't split and seed the squash before
baking and still do this method? That's how I usually do mine,
but then I add butter and brown sugar. I'd be very interested
in trying a non-sweet squash...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Gal Called J.J.