Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Changing times

Do you think times have changed?

http://i.imgur.com/rjOEvhz.png?1

(running for cover)

Dimitri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> Do you think times have changed?
>
> http://i.imgur.com/rjOEvhz.png?1
>
> (running for cover)

Aye, laddie, you do right to hide!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:50:23 AM UTC-7, Dimitri wrote:
> Do you think times have changed?
>
> http://i.imgur.com/rjOEvhz.png?1
>

> (running for cover)
>
> Dimitri

I sent that to my step-daughter and did she ever snort...she is a "wimmin's libber".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/01/2013 12:50 PM, Dimitri wrote:
> Do you think times have changed?
>
> http://i.imgur.com/rjOEvhz.png?1
>
> (running for cover)
>
> Dimitri

Perhaps, but I will show it to my wife with a "hint hint hint" ;-)

There is a good chance that article is fraud. I mean... don't complain
if he stays out all night ????? Seriously? Not even in the 1950s.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 1:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 29/01/2013 12:50 PM, Dimitri wrote:
>> Do you think times have changed?
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/rjOEvhz.png?1
>>
>> (running for cover)
>>
>> Dimitri

> Perhaps, but I will show it to my wife with a "hint hint hint" ;-)
>
> There is a good chance that article is fraud. I mean... don't complain
> if he stays out all night ????? Seriously? Not even in the 1950s.

Oh, I doubt that, Dave. They used to publish books akin to guidelines
on how to be a good wife. Way before this little thing was published.
And it was always about what the wife should do to *keep* her man.

Many years later there was a book espousing the same concept. Do any of
you recall a booked titled 'The Complete Woman'? By Maribel Morgan...
1970's, IIRC. Here's a quote from her book:

"She needed to accept him and to *change herself* to make him and
herself happy. Morgan once wrote, "It's only when a woman *surrenders*
her life to her husband, reveres and worships him and is willing to
serve him, that she becomes really beautiful to him. She becomes a
priceless jewel, the glory of femininity, his queen!"

What a load of horsecrap. Might as well chain her up in the basement and
only let her out to do the cooking.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 29/01/2013 12:50 PM, Dimitri wrote:
>> Do you think times have changed?
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/rjOEvhz.png?1
>>
>> (running for cover)
>>
>> Dimitri

> Perhaps, but I will show it to my wife with a "hint hint hint" ;-)
>
> There is a good chance that article is fraud. I mean... don't complain if
> he stays out all night ????? Seriously? Not even in the 1950s.

According to Snopes it's unclear if it's a fake or not.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> There is a good chance that article is fraud. I mean... don't complain
>> if he stays out all night ????? Seriously? Not even in the 1950s.

> Oh, I doubt that, Dave. They used to publish books akin to guidelines
> on how to be a good wife. Way before this little thing was published.
> And it was always about what the wife should do to *keep* her man.
>
> Many years later there was a book espousing the same concept. Do any of
> you recall a booked titled 'The Complete Woman'? By Maribel Morgan...
> 1970's, IIRC. Here's a quote from her book:
>
> "She needed to accept him and to *change herself* to make him and
> herself happy. Morgan once wrote, "It's only when a woman *surrenders*
> her life to her husband, reveres and worships him and is willing to
> serve him, that she becomes really beautiful to him. She becomes a
> priceless jewel, the glory of femininity, his queen!"
>
> What a load of horsecrap. Might as well chain her up in the basement and
> only let her out to do the cooking.

I am not questioning that the roles of men and women were different back
then, or that there were guides to being a good wife, but I think this
one is a little over the top, a parody of the more common advice of the day.

Bear in mind that things were different back then. Men were expected to
go out and work to support the family and women were expected to stay
home to raise the family and look after the house. Most people did not
have the labour saving devices that we have now. They did not have
freezers except for the small area at the op of the fridge which had
room for a couple ice cup trays and a pint or two if ice cream. People
had to go out shopping more often. Most people did not have automatic
dish washing machines so dishes had to be washed by had after each meal.

Laundry was a major undertaking. Washing machines were not automatic.
They had to be tended, set the water lever, get the aggitator going.
There was no rinse or spin cycle. They had those rollers to squeeze the
water out.,,, before you hung it to dry. No blenders or food
processors. No prepared frozen dinners. Keeping a house clean and tidy
and having clean laundry and cooked meals was a full time job.

I have a hard time mustering sympathy for people who whine about doing
laundry these says because I remember how much work it was for my mother
when I was a kid. These days you sort it, pop it into a machine, add
the detergent, set the cycle and push the start button. Come back in an
hour to transfer it to the dryer. When it is all done you sit in front
of the TV and fold it, watching the same programs you watched while the
machine was doing the work for you. How many people actually iron these
days?

The men were responsible for the outdoor work. They have as many labour
saving devices for outside work as there are for inside. Most houses
have siding these days, and vinyl or aluminum fascia and soffits.
Painting the house and trim is no longer an annual job. Lawnmowers,
hedge clippers, saws..... all motorized. You don't have to change tires
several times a year, and autos don't spent a day or two each month in
the shop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 29/01/2013 12:50 PM, Dimitri wrote:
>>> Do you think times have changed?
>>>
>>> http://i.imgur.com/rjOEvhz.png?1
>>>
>>> (running for cover)
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> Perhaps, but I will show it to my wife with a "hint hint hint" ;-)
>>
>> There is a good chance that article is fraud. I mean... don't complain
>> if he stays out all night ????? Seriously? Not even in the 1950s.

> According to Snopes it's unclear if it's a fake or not.

That's NOT fake. My work was in Social History and I have seen many such
texts/articles from the years during and after WWII
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 1:37 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Many years later there was a book espousing the same concept. Do any
>of
> you recall a booked titled 'The Complete Woman'? By Maribel >Morgan...

I was trying to think of the name of that book!

> 1970's, IIRC. Here's a quote from her book:
>
> "She needed to accept him and to *change herself* to make him and
> herself happy. Morgan once wrote, "It's only when a woman > >
>*surrenders*
> her life to her husband, reveres and worships him and is willing to
> serve him, that she becomes really beautiful to him. She becomes a
> priceless jewel, the glory of femininity, his queen!"
>
> What a load of horsecrap. Might as well chain her up in the basement
> and only let her out to do the cooking.

Didn't she greet her husband wearing nothing but plastic wrap at
some point? (laugh) Look honey, leftovers for dinner!

Just thinking about the theoretical husband/father in the article
Dimitri posted, it's like out of some Twilight Zone where the guy
winds up in some fake life where he doesn't know anyone in his house.

Just come home, everyone drops everything to make you feel like a
pampered guest and never tells you how they really feel about
anything. It's all too creepy.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 15:42:07 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> Just thinking about the theoretical husband/father in the article
> Dimitri posted, it's like out of some Twilight Zone where the guy
> winds up in some fake life where he doesn't know anyone in his house.

More like Stepford Wives.

> Just come home, everyone drops everything to make you feel like a
> pampered guest and never tells you how they really feel about
> anything. It's all too creepy.

Gotta make him feel like a king because he's the bread winner. He
brings home the bacon and she cooks it. Anybody wanna take a ride in
the Wayback Machine? No takers? Why am I not surprised?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 14:06:03 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Most people did not
> have the labour saving devices that we have now. They did not have
> freezers except for the small area at the op of the fridge which had
> room for a couple ice cup trays and a pint or two if ice cream.

My mother had a gigantic chest freezer and a commercial refrigerator
with two glass doors.

> People had to go out shopping more often.

They did major grocery shopping every Saturday.

> Most people did not have automatic
> dish washing machines so dishes had to be washed by had after each meal.

My parents had two automatic dishwashers: my sister and me.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 19:30:11 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

>>> According to Snopes it's unclear if it's a fake or not.

>> That's NOT fake. My work was in Social History and I have seen many such
>> texts/articles from the years during and after WWII

> The magazine/periodical never existed. Also, what monthly magazine
> would be published on Friday the 13th, in the middle of the month?
> The day of the month would not be used in the name of the issue - not
> on a *monthly* publications.

I am talking about UK type stuff, are you? I have seen plenty of stuff like
that.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 1:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> There is a good chance that article is fraud. I mean... don't complain
> if he stays out all night ????? Seriously? Not even in the 1950s.

I agree with you. That was over the top for general marital advice.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Testing

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 15:39:19 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 19:30:11 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

>>> According to Snopes it's unclear if it's a fake or not.

>> That's NOT fake. My work was in Social History and I have seen many such
>> texts/articles from the years during and after WWII

>The magazine/periodical never existed. Also, what monthly magazine
>would be published on Friday the 13th, in the middle of the month?
>The day of the month would not be used in the name of the issue - not
>on a *monthly* publications.
>
>-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 3:42 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 1/29/2013 1:37 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Many years later there was a book espousing the same concept. Do any
> >of
> > you recall a booked titled 'The Complete Woman'? By Maribel >Morgan...

> I was trying to think of the name of that book!
>
> > 1970's, IIRC. Here's a quote from her book:
> >
> > "She needed to accept him and to *change herself* to make him and
> > herself happy. Morgan once wrote, "It's only when a woman > >
> >*surrenders*
> > her life to her husband, reveres and worships him and is willing to
> > serve him, that she becomes really beautiful to him. She becomes a
> > priceless jewel, the glory of femininity, his queen!"
> >
> > What a load of horsecrap. Might as well chain her up in the basement
> > and only let her out to do the cooking.

> Didn't she greet her husband wearing nothing but plastic wrap at
> some point? (laugh) Look honey, leftovers for dinner!
>
> Just thinking about the theoretical husband/father in the article
> Dimitri posted, it's like out of some Twilight Zone where the guy
> winds up in some fake life where he doesn't know anyone in his house.
>
> Just come home, everyone drops everything to make you feel like a
> pampered guest and never tells you how they really feel about
> anything. It's all too creepy.
>
> nancy

Yep, that's the book and the woman. Anything to be subservient and
please your man. ROLFMAO

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 4:04 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 15:42:07 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> Just thinking about the theoretical husband/father in the article
>> Dimitri posted, it's like out of some Twilight Zone where the guy
>> winds up in some fake life where he doesn't know anyone in his house.

> More like Stepford Wives.
>>
>> Just come home, everyone drops everything to make you feel like a
>> pampered guest and never tells you how they really feel about
>> anything. It's all too creepy.

> Gotta make him feel like a king because he's the bread winner. He
> brings home the bacon and she cooks it. Anybody wanna take a ride in
> the Wayback Machine? No takers? Why am I not surprised?

Bring home the bacon... fry it up in a pan. And never ever let him
forget he's a man! Enjoli. LOLOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 7:29 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/29/2013 4:04 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 15:42:07 -0500, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Just thinking about the theoretical husband/father in the article
>>> Dimitri posted, it's like out of some Twilight Zone where the guy
>>> winds up in some fake life where he doesn't know anyone in his house.

>> More like Stepford Wives.
>>>
>>> Just come home, everyone drops everything to make you feel like a
>>> pampered guest and never tells you how they really feel about
>>> anything. It's all too creepy.

>> Gotta make him feel like a king because he's the bread winner. He
>> brings home the bacon and she cooks it. Anybody wanna take a ride in
>> the Wayback Machine? No takers? Why am I not surprised?
>>

> Bring home the bacon... fry it up in a pan. And never ever let him
> forget he's a man! Enjoli. LOLOL
>
> Jill

This is the link to the perfume ad you may remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X4MwbVf5OA

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 6:23 PM, John J wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 17:58:48 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> On 1/29/2013 1:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> There is a good chance that article is fraud. I mean... don't complain
>>> if he stays out all night ????? Seriously? Not even in the 1950s.

>> I agree with you. That was over the top for general marital advice.

> I thought it was just common sense.

You're right, she shouldn't complain, just change the locks.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 2:06 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Lawnmowers, hedge clippers, saws..... all motorized. You don't have to
> change tires several times a year, and autos don't spent a day or two
> each month in the shop.

Back in the day I didn't know anyone who put their car in a shop. All
men seemed to know how to fix anything, and do all of the maintenance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 3:42 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> Just thinking about the theoretical husband/father in the article
> Dimitri posted, it's like out of some Twilight Zone where the guy
> winds up in some fake life where he doesn't know anyone in his house.
>
> Just come home, everyone drops everything to make you feel like a
> pampered guest and never tells you how they really feel about
> anything. It's all too creepy.

Can you imagine how helpless a man like that would be if his wife
decided to leave him?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 7:29 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/29/2013 4:04 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 15:42:07 -0500, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Just thinking about the theoretical husband/father in the article
>>> Dimitri posted, it's like out of some Twilight Zone where the guy
>>> winds up in some fake life where he doesn't know anyone in his house.

>> More like Stepford Wives.
>>>
>>> Just come home, everyone drops everything to make you feel like a
>>> pampered guest and never tells you how they really feel about
>>> anything. It's all too creepy.

>> Gotta make him feel like a king because he's the bread winner. He
>> brings home the bacon and she cooks it. Anybody wanna take a ride in
>> the Wayback Machine? No takers? Why am I not surprised?
>>

> Bring home the bacon... fry it up in a pan. And never ever let him
> forget he's a man! Enjoli. LOLOL
>
> Jill

I got that earworm, too, reading Nancy's post. lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 4:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> The magazine/periodical never existed. Also, what monthly magazine
> would be published on Friday the 13th, in the middle of the month?
> The day of the month would not be used in the name of the issue - not
> on a*monthly* publications.

It would be more suited for an April 1st edition.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 8:26 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 1/29/2013 3:42 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Just thinking about the theoretical husband/father in the article
>> Dimitri posted, it's like out of some Twilight Zone where the guy
>> winds up in some fake life where he doesn't know anyone in his house.
>>
>> Just come home, everyone drops everything to make you feel like a
>> pampered guest and never tells you how they really feel about
>> anything. It's all too creepy.

> Can you imagine how helpless a man like that would be if his wife
> decided to leave him?

I've heard of guys like that. Of course, I've heard of plenty of
women left helplessly in the dark when their husbands die, too.
Like where the checkbook is and is there any money in the bank.
Yikes.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:17:51 -0500, wrote:

>Testing

Okay... I'M BACK! Agent had an upgrade and after the installation I
couldn't send, but I fixed their screw up... their upgrade didn't take
into account any changes made since the very beginning. So now I'm
back to gravesend10, as it was when I first started the account...
anyways I don't use that email address.

>On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 15:39:19 -0600, Sqwertz >
>wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/rjOEvhz.png?1

>>> That's NOT fake. My work was in Social History and I have seen many such
>>> texts/articles from the years during and after WWII

>>The magazine/periodical never existed. Also, what monthly magazine
>>would be published on Friday the 13th, in the middle of the month?
>>The day of the month would not be used in the name of the issue - not
>>on a *monthly* publications.
>>
>>-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Ever see the Bobby Darin/Sandra Dee movie where her mother gave her a
dog obedience guidebook and told her it was a training manual for new
husbands? :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 13:37:20 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>What a load of horsecrap. Might as well chain her up in the basement and
>only let her out to do the cooking.
>
>Jill

Hey, that's BS. She has to do laundry too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 10:50 AM, Dimitri wrote:
> Do you think times have changed?

Yes, they have, thanks mostly to WWII and college educations for women.
Many/most families couldn't live on one income. I went back to work and
my minute salary paid for two kids' college education.

> http://i.imgur.com/rjOEvhz.png?1
>
> (running for cover)

And so you should. I'm going to suggest that Barb get her wooden spoon
out of retirement just for you in response to that URL.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
> In article >, lid
> says...

http://i.imgur.com/rjOEvhz.png?1

>> > The magazine/periodical never existed. Also, what monthly magazine
>> > would be published on Friday the 13th, in the middle of the month?
>> > The day of the month would not be used in the name of the issue - not
>> > on a *monthly* publications.

>> I am talking about UK type stuff, are you? I have seen plenty of stuff
>> like
>> that.

> In 1950 UK, there were no automated washers and dryers to be silenced
> when the husband returned home. The illustration is well documented to
> have been lifted from the front cover of a British magazine
> called John Bull, published in 1957 (2 years later)

Thank you for your expertise, Janet. I was talking about the sentiment
expressed in that advert. Perhaps the Google Queen can't understand such
abstract ideas.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 1/29/2013 1:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 29/01/2013 12:50 PM, Dimitri wrote:
>> Do you think times have changed?
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/rjOEvhz.png?1
>>
>> (running for cover)
>>
>> Dimitri

> Perhaps, but I will show it to my wife with a "hint hint hint" ;-)
>
> There is a good chance that article is fraud. I mean... don't complain
> if he stays out all night ????? Seriously? Not even in the 1950s.

Oh, I doubt that, Dave. They used to publish books akin to guidelines
on how to be a good wife. Way before this little thing was published.
And it was always about what the wife should do to *keep* her man.

Many years later there was a book espousing the same concept. Do any of
you recall a booked titled 'The Complete Woman'? By Maribel Morgan...
1970's, IIRC. Here's a quote from her book:

"She needed to accept him and to *change herself* to make him and
herself happy. Morgan once wrote, "It's only when a woman *surrenders*
her life to her husband, reveres and worships him and is willing to
serve him, that she becomes really beautiful to him. She becomes a
priceless jewel, the glory of femininity, his queen!"

What a load of horsecrap. Might as well chain her up in the basement and
only let her out to do the cooking.

Jill

~~~~~~~~
Your Morgan quote would be hilarious except that it's true--there really
were numerous books and articles with similar "advice," especially in the
1950s and earlier.

Have any of you seen old TV shows like "Leave It to Beaver" and "The Donna
Reed Show"? The women are always shown in nice dresses and high heels, and
often pearls or similar jewelry *while they were cleaning and doing the
laundry.* They were always "neat as a pin" in those shows. Of course, they
were stereotypes, but they were seen as "ideal" housewives. When the wife
got her way, it she was often shown as "manipulating" her husband (but only
in the "nicest" way, of course!). Husband and wife were never shown as
equal partners.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" > wrote in message

> Your Morgan quote would be hilarious except that it's true--there really
> were numerous books and articles with similar "advice," especially in the
> 1950s and earlier.

Indeed there are!

> Have any of you seen old TV shows like "Leave It to Beaver" and "The Donna
> Reed Show"? The women are always shown in nice dresses and high heels,
> and often pearls or similar jewelry *while they were cleaning and doing
> the laundry.* They were always "neat as a pin" in those shows. Of
> course, they were stereotypes, but they were seen as "ideal" housewives.
> When the wife got her way, it she was often shown as "manipulating" her
> husband (but only in the "nicest" way, of course!). Husband and wife were
> never shown as equal partners.

Well you have that spot on!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/29/2013 1:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 29/01/2013 12:50 PM, Dimitri wrote:
>>> Do you think times have changed?
>>>
>>> http://i.imgur.com/rjOEvhz.png?1
>>>
>>> (running for cover)
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> Perhaps, but I will show it to my wife with a "hint hint hint" ;-)
>>
>> There is a good chance that article is fraud. I mean... don't complain
>> if he stays out all night ????? Seriously? Not even in the 1950s.

> Oh, I doubt that, Dave. They used to publish books akin to guidelines on
> how to be a good wife. Way before this little thing was published. And it
> was always about what the wife should do to *keep* her man.
>
> Many years later there was a book espousing the same concept. Do any of
> you recall a booked titled 'The Complete Woman'? By Maribel Morgan...
> 1970's, IIRC. Here's a quote from her book:
>
> "She needed to accept him and to *change herself* to make him and herself
> happy. Morgan once wrote, "It's only when a woman *surrenders* her life
> to her husband, reveres and worships him and is willing to serve him, that
> she becomes really beautiful to him. She becomes a priceless jewel, the
> glory of femininity, his queen!"
>
> What a load of horsecrap. Might as well chain her up in the basement and
> only let her out to do the cooking.

Yes, seen through our eyes it was indeed 'horsecrap', but as I have said
elsewhere, , that is how it was 'mostly' accepted. I am not saying that
is how all women behaved, but it was advertised as the ideal. Of course in
those days, guess who were the bosses in advertising ... The advert
Steve(?) posted may not have been real but the content and sentiment were
spot on and that is how a 'good' woman was expected to behave.

The good old days eh?
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 11:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 13:37:20 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

>> What a load of horsecrap. Might as well chain her up in the basement and
>> only let her out to do the cooking.
>>
>> Jill

> Hey, that's BS. She has to do laundry too.

Gee, that's right! But if the washer is in the basement and if there
was a laundry chute and if her chain is long enough...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 8:26 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 1/29/2013 3:42 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Just thinking about the theoretical husband/father in the article
>> Dimitri posted, it's like out of some Twilight Zone where the guy
>> winds up in some fake life where he doesn't know anyone in his house.
>>
>> Just come home, everyone drops everything to make you feel like a
>> pampered guest and never tells you how they really feel about
>> anything. It's all too creepy.

> Can you imagine how helpless a man like that would be if his wife
> decided to leave him?

He'd probably just hire a housekeeper.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:37:20 PM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/29/2013 1:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > On 29/01/2013 12:50 PM, Dimitri wrote:

> >> Do you think times have changed?

> >> http://i.imgur.com/rjOEvhz.png?1

> >> (running for cover)

> >> Dimitri

> > Perhaps, but I will show it to my wife with a "hint hint hint" ;-)

> > There is a good chance that article is fraud. I mean... don't complain

> > if he stays out all night ????? Seriously? Not even in the 1950s.

> Oh, I doubt that, Dave. They used to publish books akin to guidelines
>
> on how to be a good wife. Way before this little thing was published.
>
> And it was always about what the wife should do to *keep* her man.
>

> Many years later there was a book espousing the same concept. Do any of
>
> you recall a booked titled 'The Complete Woman'? By Maribel Morgan...
>
> 1970's, IIRC. Here's a quote from her book:
>

> "She needed to accept him and to *change herself* to make him and
>
> herself happy. Morgan once wrote, "It's only when a woman *surrenders*
>
> her life to her husband, reveres and worships him and is willing to
>
> serve him, that she becomes really beautiful to him. She becomes a
>
> priceless jewel, the glory of femininity, his queen!"
>

> What a load of horsecrap. Might as well chain her up in the basement and
>
> only let her out to do the cooking.

I remember back in the 1980s, someone from Mary Kay Cosmetics saying, "You should revere your husband almost as you revere God."

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:29:53 PM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:

> Bring home the bacon... fry it up in a pan. And never ever let him
>
> forget he's a man! Enjoli. LOLOL

What's pathetic about that is that the perfume industry depends on women thinking that their natural, human fragrance is inferior to the industry's concoctions.

> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hY2SFH4Y9c

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/30/2013 9:53 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >, stancole1
> @invalid.yahoo.com says...
>>
>> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...

>>> Perhaps, but I will show it to my wife with a "hint hint hint" ;-)
>>>
>>> There is a good chance that article is fraud. I mean... don't complain
>>> if he stays out all night ????? Seriously? Not even in the 1950s.

>> Oh, I doubt that, Dave. They used to publish books akin to guidelines
>> on how to be a good wife.

> <sigh>. Have you never heard of hyperbole? The article being
> discussed, is loosely based upon the books you mention. But the content
> of it, shows it's a deliberate, grossly exaggerated pastiche cobbled
> together by someone from a later generation with no experience of
> running a home in the 1950's.

Whoa! Who ****ed in your oatmeal? Of course I knew the article is a
jest. So did Dimitri, the OP, when he posted it and ducked out running
I was merely pointing out there *have* been books published saying
how the "little woman" should behave.

They were still teaching that sort of thing in home-economics class when
I started high school. The course description included basic cooking
and sewing. So, young women were still expected to learn to behave like
a 1950's housewife. As if young women might not have higher aspirations
than being a housewife. Heh.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/30/2013 7:49 AM, Bryan wrote:
>> She needed to accept him and to*change herself* to make him and
>> >
>> >herself happy. Morgan once wrote, "It's only when a woman*surrenders*
>> >
>> >her life to her husband, reveres and worships him and is willing to
>> >
>> >serve him, that she becomes really beautiful to him. She becomes a
>> >
>> >priceless jewel, the glory of femininity, his queen!"
>> >

>> >What a load of horsecrap. Might as well chain her up in the basement and
>> >
>> >only let her out to do the cooking.
>> >

> I remember back in the 1980s, someone from Mary Kay Cosmetics saying, "You should revere your husband almost as you revere God."
>> >

> --Bryan

Might I ask what you were doing with Mary Kay Cosmetics? LOLOL Sorry,
couldn't help myself.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/30/2013 7:53 AM, Bryan wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:29:53 PM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
>>

>> Bring home the bacon... fry it up in a pan. And never ever let him
>>
>> forget he's a man! Enjoli. LOLOL
>>

> What's pathetic about that is that the perfume industry depends on women thinking that their natural, human fragrance is inferior to the industry's concoctions.

A little perfume can be nice. Depends on the scent. I don't like
flowery sweet perfume.

Perfume combines uniquely with different body chemistry. A dab of one
can smell nice on one person and not so nice on the other. That's why
perfume counters offer samples.

I'm not talking about bathing or drenching yourself in the stuff. I've
known people who had matching perfumed soap, body oil, body powder.
Very strong scents, too. Good lord, you don't want to get in an
elevator with them.

But a little dab or a spritz after taking a shower can be very nice.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/30/2013 9:53 AM, Janet wrote:

>> <sigh>. Have you never heard of hyperbole? The article being
>> discussed, is loosely based upon the books you mention. But the content
>> of it, shows it's a deliberate, grossly exaggerated pastiche cobbled
>> together by someone from a later generation with no experience of
>> running a home in the 1950's.

> Whoa! Who ****ed in your oatmeal? Of course I knew the article is a
> jest. So did Dimitri, the OP, when he posted it and ducked out running
> I was merely pointing out there *have* been books published saying how the
> "little woman" should behave.

And you are correct! Take no notice of Google Queen who is not as clever as
she thinks she is!

> They were still teaching that sort of thing in home-economics class when I
> started high school. The course description included basic cooking and
> sewing. So, young women were still expected to learn to behave like a
> 1950's housewife. As if young women might not have higher aspirations
> than being a housewife. Heh.

Quite so

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Changing your way of cooking Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 219 07-10-2014 11:24 PM
Partly OT Just another sign of the changing times Cheryl[_5_] General Cooking 12 08-10-2008 05:27 AM
changing recipe??? 2fatbbq Preserving 2 19-09-2005 11:14 PM
"Iced Tea" myth again; Historical NY Times, LA Times, Chicago Tribune for $50 Barry Popik Historic 0 30-05-2004 07:08 AM
Changing jar sizes Anny Middon Preserving 2 04-04-2004 08:41 PM