Van

Default Used Range - Disposal?

"Sam D." > wrote in message

> If you put FREE, most pepole will think it is junk and ignore it.
> Instead put a sign on it that says GOOD CONDITION --$50. It works for
> me every time I need something heavy or bulky hauled away.

Years ago, I was in the printing/copy business. We did a lot of our work on
used end-of-life copy machines that we bought from a leasing company. It
did not pay to do any extensive repair on these machines because the
advances in technology made replacing them (from other ones from the leasing
company) a more attractive option.

So, we simply had to 'ditch' them. These were *heavy* machines. VERY
heavy. and BIG.

The local scrap company CHARGED a significant fee to pick them up & dispose
of them (like $200-$300). I had a better idea.

We simply rolled them out to the sidewalk in front of the copy shop and put
a sign on them: "$400.00 or best offer. Inquire within".

They were always *GONE* the next morning!

I always giggled to myself imagining some guy getting his friends together
(maybe even renting a truck) to carry out the 'heist'! Then bustin' a nut
loadin' it up in a hurry & skeedaddlin' down the street.

Ah, the joys of running a business in the inner-city. . . . .

Van

Van

"Sam D." > wrote in message

> If you put FREE, most pepole will think it is junk and ignore it.
> Instead put a sign on it that says GOOD CONDITION --$50. It works for
> me every time I need something heavy or bulky hauled away.

Years ago, I was in the printing/copy business. We did a lot of our work on
used end-of-life copy machines that we bought from a leasing company. It
did not pay to do any extensive repair on these machines because the
advances in technology made replacing them (from other ones from the leasing
company) a more attractive option.

So, we simply had to 'ditch' them. These were *heavy* machines. VERY
heavy. and BIG.

The local scrap company CHARGED a significant fee to pick them up & dispose
of them (like $200-$300). I had a better idea.

We simply rolled them out to the sidewalk in front of the copy shop and put
a sign on them: "$400.00 or best offer. Inquire within".

They were always *GONE* the next morning!

I always giggled to myself imagining some guy getting his friends together
(maybe even renting a truck) to carry out the 'heist'! Then bustin' a nut
loadin' it up in a hurry & skeedaddlin' down the street.

Ah, the joys of running a business in the inner-city. . . . .

Van

Nancy Young

Van wrote:

> We simply rolled them out to the sidewalk in front of the copy shop and put
> a sign on them: "$400.00 or best offer. Inquire within".
>
> They were always *GONE* the next morning!
>
> I always giggled to myself imagining some guy getting his friends together
> (maybe even renting a truck) to carry out the 'heist'! Then bustin' a nut
> loadin' it up in a hurry & skeedaddlin' down the street.
>
> Ah, the joys of running a business in the inner-city. . . . .

That is too friggin hilarious. What a scream.

I put stuff out front just after the garbagemen leave on Friday.
By the next morning the stuff is usually gone. Welcome to it.

nancy
Nancy Young

Van wrote:

> We simply rolled them out to the sidewalk in front of the copy shop and put
> a sign on them: "$400.00 or best offer. Inquire within".
>
> They were always *GONE* the next morning!
>
> I always giggled to myself imagining some guy getting his friends together
> (maybe even renting a truck) to carry out the 'heist'! Then bustin' a nut
> loadin' it up in a hurry & skeedaddlin' down the street.
>
> Ah, the joys of running a business in the inner-city. . . . .

That is too friggin hilarious. What a scream.

I put stuff out front just after the garbagemen leave on Friday.
By the next morning the stuff is usually gone. Welcome to it.

nancy
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> Van wrote:
>
>> We simply rolled them out to the sidewalk in front of the copy shop
>> and put a sign on them: "$400.00 or best offer. Inquire within".
>>
>> They were always *GONE* the next morning!

> That is too friggin hilarious. What a scream.
>
> I put stuff out front just after the garbagemen leave on Friday.
> By the next morning the stuff is usually gone. Welcome to it.
>
> nancy

Yep, that's how I got rid of my years old hand-me-down dinette set, an ugly
lamp and an even more hideous used office chair (don't back up, the castors
would fall off!) I set that particular item out with 2 castors sitting in
the seat; no doubt in the mind of the scavengers the castors are prone to
fall off. Nothing was there the next morning.

When I *did* put out an older but running vacuum cleaner because I'd gotten
one much lighter-weight with more power and which didn't require those
stupid bags, the sign I put on it read: "I WORK. TAKE ME." Voila, it was
gone before nightfall.

Jill

Steve Calvin

jmcquown wrote:

> Yep, that's how I got rid of my years old hand-me-down dinette set, an ugly
> lamp and an even more hideous used office chair (don't back up, the castors
> would fall off!) I set that particular item out with 2 castors sitting in
> the seat; no doubt in the mind of the scavengers the castors are prone to
> fall off. Nothing was there the next morning.
>
> When I *did* put out an older but running vacuum cleaner because I'd gotten
> one much lighter-weight with more power and which didn't require those
> stupid bags, the sign I put on it read: "I WORK. TAKE ME." Voila, it was
> gone before nightfall.
>
> Jill

I use Freecycle. No setting things out to the curb and someone always
takes whatever. The thing that I like about it is that most folks that
have come to pick things up at our house genuinely look like they can
use it.
http://www.freecycle.org/

--
Steve

Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there... I'm gonna
eat the next thing that comes outta it's ass?"

Steve Calvin

jmcquown wrote:

> Yep, that's how I got rid of my years old hand-me-down dinette set, an ugly
> lamp and an even more hideous used office chair (don't back up, the castors
> would fall off!) I set that particular item out with 2 castors sitting in
> the seat; no doubt in the mind of the scavengers the castors are prone to
> fall off. Nothing was there the next morning.
>
> When I *did* put out an older but running vacuum cleaner because I'd gotten
> one much lighter-weight with more power and which didn't require those
> stupid bags, the sign I put on it read: "I WORK. TAKE ME." Voila, it was
> gone before nightfall.
>
> Jill

I use Freecycle. No setting things out to the curb and someone always
takes whatever. The thing that I like about it is that most folks that
have come to pick things up at our house genuinely look like they can
use it.
http://www.freecycle.org/

--
Steve

Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there... I'm gonna
eat the next thing that comes outta it's ass?"

George Shirley

Steve Calvin wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> >

>> Yep, that's how I got rid of my years old hand-me-down dinette set, an
>> ugly
>> lamp and an even more hideous used office chair (don't back up, the
>> castors
>> would fall off!) I set that particular item out with 2 castors
>> sitting in
>> the seat; no doubt in the mind of the scavengers the castors are prone to
>> fall off. Nothing was there the next morning.
>>
>> When I *did* put out an older but running vacuum cleaner because I'd
>> gotten
>> one much lighter-weight with more power and which didn't require those
>> stupid bags, the sign I put on it read: "I WORK. TAKE ME." Voila, it
>> was
>> gone before nightfall.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I use Freecycle. No setting things out to the curb and someone always
> takes whatever. The thing that I like about it is that most folks that
> have come to pick things up at our house genuinely look like they can
> use it.
> http://www.freecycle.org/

We have a semi-retired gentleman here in our town that will come and get
any defunct appliance, vac, or anything in that line. He then repairs
them and sells them for $25.00 each or gives them to people who can't
afford new stuff. For those that don't know about him around here and
put stuff at the curb several of us with trucks scout for him and take
stuff to him. I've been surprised that folks will toss out a perfectly
good appliance just because they're changing their decor. How wasteful!

George

George Shirley

Steve Calvin wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> >

>> Yep, that's how I got rid of my years old hand-me-down dinette set, an
>> ugly
>> lamp and an even more hideous used office chair (don't back up, the
>> castors
>> would fall off!) I set that particular item out with 2 castors
>> sitting in
>> the seat; no doubt in the mind of the scavengers the castors are prone to
>> fall off. Nothing was there the next morning.
>>
>> When I *did* put out an older but running vacuum cleaner because I'd
>> gotten
>> one much lighter-weight with more power and which didn't require those
>> stupid bags, the sign I put on it read: "I WORK. TAKE ME." Voila, it
>> was
>> gone before nightfall.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I use Freecycle. No setting things out to the curb and someone always
> takes whatever. The thing that I like about it is that most folks that
> have come to pick things up at our house genuinely look like they can
> use it.
> http://www.freecycle.org/

We have a semi-retired gentleman here in our town that will come and get
any defunct appliance, vac, or anything in that line. He then repairs
them and sells them for $25.00 each or gives them to people who can't
afford new stuff. For those that don't know about him around here and
put stuff at the curb several of us with trucks scout for him and take
stuff to him. I've been surprised that folks will toss out a perfectly
good appliance just because they're changing their decor. How wasteful!

George

Edwin Pawlowski

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> When I *did* put out an older but running vacuum cleaner because I'd

gotten
> one much lighter-weight with more power and which didn't require those
> stupid bags, the sign I put on it read: "I WORK. TAKE ME." Voila, it was
> gone before nightfall.
>
> Jill

The record for me was for an old gas grill. 15 minutes.

Funniest was an old and very long sofa. It did not fit well into the little
Escort station wagon so the guy had his wife walk behind the wagon and hold
it balanced.

Edwin Pawlowski

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> When I *did* put out an older but running vacuum cleaner because I'd

gotten
> one much lighter-weight with more power and which didn't require those
> stupid bags, the sign I put on it read: "I WORK. TAKE ME." Voila, it was
> gone before nightfall.
>
> Jill

The record for me was for an old gas grill. 15 minutes.

Funniest was an old and very long sofa. It did not fit well into the little
Escort station wagon so the guy had his wife walk behind the wagon and hold
it balanced.

DawnK

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. com...

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>> When I *did* put out an older but running vacuum cleaner because I'd

> gotten
>> one much lighter-weight with more power and which didn't require those
>> stupid bags, the sign I put on it read: "I WORK. TAKE ME." Voila, it
>> was
>> gone before nightfall.
>>
>> Jill

> The record for me was for an old gas grill. 15 minutes.
>
> Funniest was an old and very long sofa. It did not fit well into the
> little
> Escort station wagon so the guy had his wife walk behind the wagon and
> hold
> it balanced.

Six years ago, our city had a flood. We saw poop floating in the water in
the basement, from sewage that had seeped in. Ugly red chairs I got from my
grandma, when she moved into a smaller place. They got wet. Put them on
the street. Someone took them. Little Tykes easel, with water sloshing
around in the legs (dirty water!). A lady came and took it! Speakers wet
with dirty water. Someone took 'em! We couldn't believe it. Sometimes the
people asked if they could have them and I told them the truth. They took
the stuff anyway. The couch that had been through 2 floods? We destroyed
it so no one would want it. The entertainment center that had also been
through 2 floods. We destroyed that, too! Yuck.

Dawn

DawnK

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. com...

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>> When I *did* put out an older but running vacuum cleaner because I'd

> gotten
>> one much lighter-weight with more power and which didn't require those
>> stupid bags, the sign I put on it read: "I WORK. TAKE ME." Voila, it
>> was
>> gone before nightfall.
>>
>> Jill

> The record for me was for an old gas grill. 15 minutes.
>
> Funniest was an old and very long sofa. It did not fit well into the
> little
> Escort station wagon so the guy had his wife walk behind the wagon and
> hold
> it balanced.

Six years ago, our city had a flood. We saw poop floating in the water in
the basement, from sewage that had seeped in. Ugly red chairs I got from my
grandma, when she moved into a smaller place. They got wet. Put them on
the street. Someone took them. Little Tykes easel, with water sloshing
around in the legs (dirty water!). A lady came and took it! Speakers wet
with dirty water. Someone took 'em! We couldn't believe it. Sometimes the
people asked if they could have them and I told them the truth. They took
the stuff anyway. The couch that had been through 2 floods? We destroyed
it so no one would want it. The entertainment center that had also been
through 2 floods. We destroyed that, too! Yuck.

Dawn

Karen

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>>When I *did* put out an older but running vacuum cleaner because I'd

> gotten
>
>>one much lighter-weight with more power and which didn't require those
>>stupid bags, the sign I put on it read: "I WORK. TAKE ME." Voila, it was
>>gone before nightfall.
>>
>>Jill

> The record for me was for an old gas grill. 15 minutes.
>
> Funniest was an old and very long sofa. It did not fit well into the little
> Escort station wagon so the guy had his wife walk behind the wagon and hold
> it balanced.

Oh my, Ed, that is FUNNY!! My husband and I had a funny thing happen
with an old, dead computer monitor years ago. We put it out to the curb
with the trash in the morning. I came home over lunch and the trash had
still not been picked up but I noticed the monitor was gone. When we
got home later in the evening, not only was the trash still there but,
the monitor had been RETURNED! The trash, along with the monitor, was
finally picked up the next day.
Karen

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>>When I *did* put out an older but running vacuum cleaner because I'd

> gotten
>
>>one much lighter-weight with more power and which didn't require those
>>stupid bags, the sign I put on it read: "I WORK. TAKE ME." Voila, it was
>>gone before nightfall.
>>
>>Jill

> The record for me was for an old gas grill. 15 minutes.
>
> Funniest was an old and very long sofa. It did not fit well into the little
> Escort station wagon so the guy had his wife walk behind the wagon and hold
> it balanced.

Oh my, Ed, that is FUNNY!! My husband and I had a funny thing happen
with an old, dead computer monitor years ago. We put it out to the curb
with the trash in the morning. I came home over lunch and the trash had
still not been picked up but I noticed the monitor was gone. When we
got home later in the evening, not only was the trash still there but,
the monitor had been RETURNED! The trash, along with the monitor, was
finally picked up the next day.

jmcquown

Karen wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>>> When I *did* put out an older but running vacuum cleaner because I'd

>> gotten
>>
>>> one much lighter-weight with more power and which didn't require
>>> those stupid bags, the sign I put on it read: "I WORK. TAKE ME."
>>> Voila, it was gone before nightfall.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> The record for me was for an old gas grill. 15 minutes.
>>
>> Funniest was an old and very long sofa. It did not fit well into the
>> little Escort station wagon so the guy had his wife walk behind the
>> wagon and hold it balanced.
>>

> Oh my, Ed, that is FUNNY!! My husband and I had a funny thing happen
> with an old, dead computer monitor years ago. We put it out to the
> curb with the trash in the morning. I came home over lunch and the
> trash had still not been picked up but I noticed the monitor was
> gone. When we
> got home later in the evening, not only was the trash still there but,
> the monitor had been RETURNED!

That's funny! At least there was no paperwork involved in the "return" <G>

Jill

jmcquown

Karen wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>>> When I *did* put out an older but running vacuum cleaner because I'd

>> gotten
>>
>>> one much lighter-weight with more power and which didn't require
>>> those stupid bags, the sign I put on it read: "I WORK. TAKE ME."
>>> Voila, it was gone before nightfall.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> The record for me was for an old gas grill. 15 minutes.
>>
>> Funniest was an old and very long sofa. It did not fit well into the
>> little Escort station wagon so the guy had his wife walk behind the
>> wagon and hold it balanced.
>>

> Oh my, Ed, that is FUNNY!! My husband and I had a funny thing happen
> with an old, dead computer monitor years ago. We put it out to the
> curb with the trash in the morning. I came home over lunch and the
> trash had still not been picked up but I noticed the monitor was
> gone. When we
> got home later in the evening, not only was the trash still there but,
> the monitor had been RETURNED!

That's funny! At least there was no paperwork involved in the "return" <G>

Jill

sf

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 16:59:53 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> When I *did* put out an older but running vacuum cleaner because I'd gotten
> one much lighter-weight with more power and which didn't require those
> stupid bags, the sign I put on it read: "I WORK. TAKE ME." Voila, it was
> gone before nightfall.

We put out 3 TVs for garbage pickup. 2 of the 3 were gone
before the day was over, but they weren't in working order.
The one that was left was a 25 YO Sony which still worked
even though it wasn't the latest and greatest technology.
We put a "this still works" sign on it and it was gone in
hours.

sf
sf

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 16:59:53 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> When I *did* put out an older but running vacuum cleaner because I'd gotten
> one much lighter-weight with more power and which didn't require those
> stupid bags, the sign I put on it read: "I WORK. TAKE ME." Voila, it was
> gone before nightfall.

We put out 3 TVs for garbage pickup. 2 of the 3 were gone
before the day was over, but they weren't in working order.
The one that was left was a 25 YO Sony which still worked
even though it wasn't the latest and greatest technology.
We put a "this still works" sign on it and it was gone in
hours.

sf
sf

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 00:33:00 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
> wrote:

> Funniest was an old and very long sofa. It did not fit well into the little
> Escort station wagon so the guy had his wife walk behind the wagon and hold
> it balanced.

How chivalrous.

sf

sf

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 00:33:00 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
> wrote:

> Funniest was an old and very long sofa. It did not fit well into the little
> Escort station wagon so the guy had his wife walk behind the wagon and hold
> it balanced.

How chivalrous.

sf
Steve Calvin

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 00:33:00 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
> > wrote:
>

>> Funniest was an old and very long sofa. It did not fit well into the little
>> Escort station wagon so the guy had his wife walk behind the wagon and hold
>> it balanced.

> How chivalrous.
>
> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Never heard of the equal rights movement? ;-)

--
Steve <duckin' and runnin' for cover!>

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

CaptCook

Neighbor put out a working dishwasher. 2 days later it was still
there. So he put a 'for sale' sign on it. Gone~