Why does my cheese sauce always clump?

Old 02-11-2004, 11:31 AM
kilikini
Usenet poster

Default Why does my cheese sauce always clump?

"me" wrote in message
Hi there - can anyone tell me, why does my cheese sauce always clump?
I melt butter, add flower, add the water obtained from boiling
macaroni (or similar), stir stir stir, add cheese. I always get those
disgusting lumps of cheese in the sauce. What am I doing wrong? Thank
you.

I've never used water, I've always used milk. Could that be the reason?

kili

Old 02-11-2004, 01:09 PM
RMiller
Usenet poster

I melt butter, add flower, add the water obtained from boiling
macaroni (or similar), stir stir stir, add cheese. I always get those
disgusting lumps of cheese in the sauce. What am I doing wrong? Thank
you.

Try this , melt your butter, add the flour, cook it a little bit, stiring to
make your roux. Add some milk , Little by little, stirring all the time, the
mixture will be smooth if you cook it slowly and stir, then add your cheese,
grated, a little at a time, stitting all the time, . Will work out fine.
Rosie

Old 02-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Shawn Hearn
Usenet poster

me wrote:

Hi there - can anyone tell me, why does my cheese sauce always clump?
I melt butter, add flower, add the water obtained from boiling
macaroni (or similar), stir stir stir, add cheese. I always get those
disgusting lumps of cheese in the sauce. What am I doing wrong? Thank
you.

You're doing it wrong. You need to make the cheese sauce first by slowly
adding the cheese to the roux so it melts, then slowly pour in some milk
(no water) until the cheese sauce is nice and thick. When the sauce is
ready, add it to boiled drained macaroni. You're breaking the sauce.

Old 02-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Peter Aitken
Usenet poster

"Shawn Hearn" wrote in message
me wrote:

Hi there - can anyone tell me, why does my cheese sauce always clump?
I melt butter, add flower, add the water obtained from boiling
macaroni (or similar), stir stir stir, add cheese. I always get those
disgusting lumps of cheese in the sauce. What am I doing wrong? Thank
you.

You're doing it wrong. You need to make the cheese sauce first by slowly
adding the cheese to the roux so it melts, then slowly pour in some milk
(no water) until the cheese sauce is nice and thick. When the sauce is
ready, add it to boiled drained macaroni. You're breaking the sauce.

In 30 years of cooking I have never heard of a cheese sauce being made this
way. Perhaps it works, but the standard way is to make the thickened liquid
and then add the cheese.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 02-11-2004, 02:33 PM
kilikini
Usenet poster

. com...
me wrote:

You're doing it wrong. You need to make the cheese sauce first by slowly
adding the cheese to the roux so it melts, then slowly pour in some milk
(no water) until the cheese sauce is nice and thick. When the sauce is
ready, add it to boiled drained macaroni. You're breaking the sauce.

In 30 years of cooking I have never heard of a cheese sauce being made

this
way. Perhaps it works, but the standard way is to make the thickened

liquid
and then add the cheese.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter, I wanted to say the same thing, but was saying to myself, maybe I'll
try it that way next time. I always melt the butter, add the flour, add the
milk and as it thickens add shredded or cubed cheese. Been doing it that
way for years.

kili

Old 02-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Dave Smith
Usenet poster

me wrote:

Hi there - can anyone tell me, why does my cheese sauce always clump?
I melt butter, add flower, add the water obtained from boiling
macaroni (or similar), stir stir stir, add cheese. I always get those
disgusting lumps of cheese in the sauce. What am I doing wrong?

Water in the white sauce? I always use milk. It could also be the type
of cheese. Mild cheddar seems to blend in a little better than older
stuff. Colby is a great cheese for melting, though it lacks flavour.

Old 02-11-2004, 03:15 PM
limey
Usenet poster

"Hahabogus" wrote in message

in a pot over medium heat cook the flour in the butter about 2 minutes or
so to remove the raw flour taste. Stir in the milk and mustard, stir
untill
thickening.
Remove from heat. Add the cheese in say 1/2 cup batches stiring till
cheese
melts before adding the next batch. Put on a low burner to keep warm till
use.

I also find it helps to remove the pot from the heat, then blend in the milk
a little at a time, stirring constantly. When all the milk is blended,
then put the pot back on the heat and stir constantly just until it thickens
and just comes to the boil (to remove the flour taste), reduce the heat, add
the grated cheese and stir well again until cheese is melted.

Dora

Old 02-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Nancy Young
Usenet poster

Hahabogus wrote:

Well let's see my cheese sauce recipe is 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp flour, 1 cup
milk, a good pinch of dry mustard...2 cup of finely shredded cheese(s) (can
be mixed cheeses) pepper to taste, no salt cheese is pretty salty.

in a pot over medium heat cook the flour in the butter about 2 minutes or
so to remove the raw flour taste. Stir in the milk and mustard, stir untill
thickening.

Have you considered adding some cayenne?

nancy

Old 02-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Dave Smith
Usenet poster

Nancy Young wrote:

Hahabogus wrote:

Well let's see my cheese sauce recipe is 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp flour, 1 cup
milk, a good pinch of dry mustard...2 cup of finely shredded cheese(s) (can
be mixed cheeses) pepper to taste, no salt cheese is pretty salty.

in a pot over medium heat cook the flour in the butter about 2 minutes or
so to remove the raw flour taste. Stir in the milk and mustard, stir untill
thickening.

Have you considered adding some cayenne?

and a little bit of mustard powder

Old 02-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Felice Friese

me wrote:

Hi there - can anyone tell me, why does my cheese sauce always clump?
I melt butter, add flower, add the water obtained from boiling
macaroni (or similar), stir stir stir, add cheese. I always get those
disgusting lumps of cheese in the sauce. What am I doing wrong? Thank
you.

You're doing it wrong.

Well, that's cutting right to the chase, isn't it?

You need to make the cheese sauce first by slowly
adding the cheese to the roux so it melts, then slowly pour in some milk
(no water) until the cheese sauce is nice and thick. When the sauce is
ready, add it to boiled drained macaroni. You're breaking the sauce.

Felice

what is hook cheese ??? CMC Historic 24 19-04-2011 08:08 AM
Fish with Garlic Wine Cheese Faux_Pseudo General Cooking 5 30-06-2004 02:59 PM
Cheese Enchiladas with Green Sauce International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 18-01-2004 01:48 PM