Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default uncle ben's tortillas

I got a package recently and they worked out pretty good, I filled them with
a chicken and onion filling and baked then in the oven, the tortillas got a
very nice friable and soft texture.
I've read that someone fries them, is this done in a little oil or is it
deep fried? Those who fry tortillas, do they do that after filling them or
before using them some way?
Thanks in advance
--
Firma predefinita

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:

> Those who fry tortillas, do they do that after filling them or
> before using them some way?

You fry them first.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
>I got a package recently and they worked out pretty good, I filled them
>with a chicken and onion filling and baked then in the oven, the tortillas
>got a very nice friable and soft texture.
> I've read that someone fries them, is this done in a little oil or is it
> deep fried? Those who fry tortillas, do they do that after filling them or
> before using them some way?
> Thanks in advance
> --
> Firma predefinita

What are they made of? I don't think we get them here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 13:07:41 +0200, "ViLco" > wrote:

>I got a package recently and they worked out pretty good, I filled them with
>a chicken and onion filling and baked then in the oven, the tortillas got a
>very nice friable and soft texture.
>I've read that someone fries them, is this done in a little oil or is it
>deep fried? Those who fry tortillas, do they do that after filling them or
>before using them some way?
>Thanks in advance

Fry them first.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 2, 9:23*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 13:07:41 +0200, ViLco wrote:
> > I got a package recently and they worked out pretty good, I filled them with
> > a chicken and onion filling and baked then in the oven, the tortillas got a
> > very nice friable and soft texture.
> > I've read that someone fries them, is this done in a little oil or is it
> > deep fried? Those who fry tortillas, do they do that after filling them or
> > before using them some way?
> > Thanks in advance

> UNcle Ben's Tortillas? *That kinda funny. *A White guy's name on a
> brand of tortillas. *Only in Italy, I guess!
>
> Are they corn or flour?
>
> -sw

I thought old unk Ben was black.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> UNcle Ben's Tortillas? That kinda funny. A White guy's name on a
> brand of tortillas. Only in Italy, I guess!

And only in Texas is Uncle Ben a white guy. heheheheh

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sqwishy blithered:

> UNcle Ben's Tortillas? That kinda funny. A White guy's name on a
> brand of tortillas.

duh ... Uncle Ben doesn't look at all white to me. Are you
color-blind?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo" > wrote in message
On Oct 2, 9:23 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 13:07:41 +0200, ViLco wrote:
> > I got a package recently and they worked out pretty good, I filled them
> > with
> > a chicken and onion filling and baked then in the oven, the tortillas
> > got a
> > very nice friable and soft texture.
> > I've read that someone fries them, is this done in a little oil or is it
> > deep fried? Those who fry tortillas, do they do that after filling them
> > or
> > before using them some way?
> > Thanks in advance

> UNcle Ben's Tortillas? That kinda funny. A White guy's name on a
> brand of tortillas. Only in Italy, I guess!
>
> Are they corn or flour?
>
> -sw

I thought old unk Ben was black.

He is!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "ViLco" >
wrote:

> I got a package recently and they worked out pretty good, I filled them with
> a chicken and onion filling and baked then in the oven, the tortillas got a
> very nice friable and soft texture.
> I've read that someone fries them, is this done in a little oil or is it
> deep fried? Those who fry tortillas, do they do that after filling them or
> before using them some way?
> Thanks in advance

I really don't know what you have. A typical tortilla in the states is
either corn or flour. If the tortilla is corn, immersing it and passing
it rather quickly through hot oil will make it pliable enough to fold it
for tacos or roll it for other preparations. The typical corn tortilla
is around seven inches in diameter and about 1/8 inch thick where I live.
Flour tortillas are far more pliable when bought. They can be steamed
just a bit and then can be rolled and folded with filling and will be as
large or much larger in diameter than corn tortillas.
The more that corn tortillas are fried, the more unforgiving they get.
Both tortillas can be used as a wrap, but both are completely different
in preparation. I'm sure I've left crucial stuff out, but the group will
fill it in.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:47:53 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote:
> >>
> >> UNcle Ben's Tortillas? That kinda funny. A White guy's name on a
> >> brand of tortillas. Only in Italy, I guess!

> > And only in Texas is Uncle Ben a white guy. heheheheh

> Shows you how often I buy or even look at an Uncle Ben product, I'm
> proud to say. Buy a lot of UB products do you, Gary! :-)

LOL! Good come-back, Steve. :-D

Actually, I've never bought the stuff but my Mom(tm) always used it. I also
read that it was the most popular rice in the US for almost 50 years. They
must be doing something right.

Speaking of my Mom(tm). My only experience with "Chinese food" in my
childhood was those La Chow double cans of chow mein that you mentioned
previously. I ate them. Didn't hate the food but didn't love it either.
Wasn't until I got out on my own that I finally tried some real chinese food
from a restaurant.

I wonder if they even still sell those double-cans? I would be tempted to
buy one just for old times sake.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 07:33:02 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > Speaking of my Mom(tm). My only experience with "Chinese food" in my
> > childhood was those La Chow double cans of chow mein that you mentioned
> > previously. I ate them. Didn't hate the food but didn't love it either.
> > Wasn't until I got out on my own that I finally tried some real chinese food
> > from a restaurant.
> >
> > I wonder if they even still sell those double-cans? I would be tempted to
> > buy one just for old times sake.

> They still sell the double cans. The ones I've been seeing lately
> have a small can of meat based goop on top, and a larger can of
> vegetables on bottom. I don't know where the crunchy chow mein
> noodles come from - maybe you have to buy those separately?
>
> The brand is La Choy, IIRC. Chun King is (was?) the other one.
>
> -sw

The ones I remember had the small meat/veggies/sauce in the smaller can on
top. The large bottom can had those dried noodles. :-O

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 22:41:01 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

> In article >, "ViLco" >
> wrote:
>
> > I got a package recently and they worked out pretty good, I filled them with
> > a chicken and onion filling and baked then in the oven, the tortillas got a
> > very nice friable and soft texture.
> > I've read that someone fries them, is this done in a little oil or is it
> > deep fried? Those who fry tortillas, do they do that after filling them or
> > before using them some way?
> > Thanks in advance

> I really don't know what you have. A typical tortilla in the states is
> either corn or flour. If the tortilla is corn, immersing it and passing
> it rather quickly through hot oil will make it pliable enough to fold it
> for tacos or roll it for other preparations. The typical corn tortilla
> is around seven inches in diameter and about 1/8 inch thick where I live.
> Flour tortillas are far more pliable when bought. They can be steamed
> just a bit and then can be rolled and folded with filling and will be as
> large or much larger in diameter than corn tortillas.
> The more that corn tortillas are fried, the more unforgiving they get.
> Both tortillas can be used as a wrap, but both are completely different
> in preparation. I'm sure I've left crucial stuff out, but the group will
> fill it in.

A chimichanga is fried after filling, but I only like one style of
burrito and that isn't it. I don't like hard shelled tacos either,
(too messy)., but you don't have to fry taco shells to make them
crispy these days. Like many other traditionally fried foods, people
have modernized them by figuring out how to bake them.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 07:33:02 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> Speaking of my Mom(tm). My only experience with "Chinese food" in my
>> childhood was those La Chow double cans of chow mein that you mentioned
>> previously. I ate them. Didn't hate the food but didn't love it either.
>> Wasn't until I got out on my own that I finally tried some real chinese
>> food
>> from a restaurant.
>>
>> I wonder if they even still sell those double-cans? I would be tempted
>> buy one just for old times sake.

> They still sell the double cans. The ones I've been seeing lately
> have a small can of meat based goop on top, and a larger can of
> vegetables on bottom. I don't know where the crunchy chow mein
> noodles come from - maybe you have to buy those separately?
>
> The brand is La Choy, IIRC. Chun King is (was?) the other one.
>
> -sw

Good gawd but that stuff is horrid! We ate it at least once a month when I
was a kid. I remember not liking it much but it does contain ingredients
that my daughter likes so I bought it for her. Never again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 07:33:02 -0400, Gary wrote:
>>
>> > Speaking of my Mom(tm). My only experience with "Chinese food" in my
>> > childhood was those La Chow double cans of chow mein that you mentioned
>> > previously. I ate them. Didn't hate the food but didn't love it
>> > either.
>> > Wasn't until I got out on my own that I finally tried some real chinese
>> > food
>> > from a restaurant.
>> >
>> > I wonder if they even still sell those double-cans? I would be tempted
>> > buy one just for old times sake.

>> They still sell the double cans. The ones I've been seeing lately
>> have a small can of meat based goop on top, and a larger can of
>> vegetables on bottom. I don't know where the crunchy chow mein
>> noodles come from - maybe you have to buy those separately?
>>
>> The brand is La Choy, IIRC. Chun King is (was?) the other one.
>>
>> -sw

> The ones I remember had the small meat/veggies/sauce in the smaller can on
> top. The large bottom can had those dried noodles. :-O

Still *gak* available.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> UNcle Ben's Tortillas? That kinda funny. A White guy's name on a
> brand of tortillas. Only in Italy, I guess!

Tey started with just the canned chili beans and chili meat, then they
started to offer some dipping sauces (mild, hot, cheese), now they offer
more than 30 products including nachos, tortillas, tortilla chips, rice,
refried beans...

> Are they corn or flour?

Wheat, made in the Netherlands, 8 tortillas per package, 360g for 3.50 ?
They are circa 20 cm (8") in diameter and thin.
--
Firma predefinita

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I thought old unk Ben was black.

>> He is!

> He sure looks white to me.

That ha snothing to do with Uncle Ben's brand. I feared you were getting
these, which I do no trecommend:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...24_42798_n.jpg
--
Firma predefinita

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

>>> UNcle Ben's Tortillas? That kinda funny. A White guy's name on a
>>> brand of tortillas. Only in Italy, I guess!

>> I thought old unk Ben was black.

> He is!

Yes, and here is the logo on their italian stuff:
http://www.mysavings.com/img/link/large/5400.jpg
--
Firma predefinita

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> What are they made of? I don't think we get them here.

Wheat. So this Uncle Ben's brand has a line of mexican products which they
sell only in Europe? Do they sell just rice in the US? The marvels of
nowadays market
--
Firma predefinita

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> I really don't know what you have. A typical tortilla in the states is
> either corn or flour. If the tortilla is corn, immersing it and
> passing it rather quickly through hot oil will make it pliable enough
> to fold it for tacos or roll it for other preparations. The typical
> corn tortilla is around seven inches in diameter and about 1/8 inch
> thick where I live.

So they are less tender than flour ones, I gather

> Flour tortillas are far more pliable when bought.
> They can be steamed just a bit and then can be rolled and folded with
> filling and will be as large or much larger in diameter than corn
> tortillas.

So flour tortillas don't usually get fried, am I correct?

> The more that corn tortillas are fried, the more unforgiving they get.
> Both tortillas can be used as a wrap, but both are completely
> different in preparation. I'm sure I've left crucial stuff out, but
> the group will fill it in.

Thansk for the info
--
Firma predefinita

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>
>> I really don't know what you have. A typical tortilla in the states is
>> either corn or flour. If the tortilla is corn, immersing it and
>> passing it rather quickly through hot oil will make it pliable enough
>> to fold it for tacos or roll it for other preparations. The typical
>> corn tortilla is around seven inches in diameter and about 1/8 inch
>> thick where I live.

> So they are less tender than flour ones, I gather

Yes, flour tortillas are softer and more pliable, though also thought of as
far less authentic. Also, there are some things that only corn tortillas
will do. For example, it's very very rare to find enchiladas made with flour
tortillas. Conversely, flour tortillas are the most common type used in
making quesadillas.
>> Flour tortillas are far more pliable when bought.
>> They can be steamed just a bit and then can be rolled and folded with
>> filling and will be as large or much larger in diameter than corn
>> tortillas.

> So flour tortillas don't usually get fried, am I correct?

Correct. You sometimes encounter them in baking, but their most common use
is as a wrapper for soft tacos (though some regions of mexico use corn
tortillas for this) and burritos, and also in fajitas. Both are also used as
a table bread and buttered, dipped in hot sauce or salsa, and used to dip in
chili con queso.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> What are they made of? I don't think we get them here.

> Wheat. So this Uncle Ben's brand has a line of mexican products which they
> sell only in Europe? Do they sell just rice in the US? The marvels of
> nowadays market

Very interesting! AFAIK they only sell rice here but they are not a brand
that I normally buy. So I don't really know what all they have. I do buy a
lot of Mexican food though so if they had anything along those lines I would
have seen it and I have not. I would be willing to bet that it is not
authentic Mexican food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>
>> I really don't know what you have. A typical tortilla in the states is
>> either corn or flour. If the tortilla is corn, immersing it and
>> passing it rather quickly through hot oil will make it pliable enough
>> to fold it for tacos or roll it for other preparations. The typical
>> corn tortilla is around seven inches in diameter and about 1/8 inch
>> thick where I live.

> So they are less tender than flour ones, I gather
>
>> Flour tortillas are far more pliable when bought.
>> They can be steamed just a bit and then can be rolled and folded with
>> filling and will be as large or much larger in diameter than corn
>> tortillas.

> So flour tortillas don't usually get fried, am I correct?
>
>> The more that corn tortillas are fried, the more unforgiving they get.
>> Both tortillas can be used as a wrap, but both are completely
>> different in preparation. I'm sure I've left crucial stuff out, but
>> the group will fill it in.

> Thansk for the info

Large flour tortillas are frequently fried as a shell for taco salads (not
authentic Mexican food) or chalupas which is sort of like a large taco but
eaten with a fork. Recently I saw a soft chalupa offered on a menu. I was
told that it is the same. Just not fried. Taquitos or Flautas are a rolled
taco with only meat or meat and cheese as a filling. Used to be that
Taquitos used a corn tortilla and Flautas used flour but these days you
never know. These are usually fried but sometimes baked. Then there is the
Chimichanga. I don't know exactly what this is because I had one once and
disliked it. Sort of like a burrito I guess but fried. Then there is a
dessert that is made using triangles of flour tortillas, fried. Usually
then dipped in cinnamon and sugar. Sometimes drizzled with corn syrup,
strawberry syrup or honey. Sometimes topped with berries, cooked cinnamon
apples, ice cream and/or whipped cream. Often called sopapillas but a real
sopapilla is actually a soft bun that you poke a hole in and fill with honey
at the table. Also called Crustos and other names.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 09:46:12 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 13:21:31 +0200, ViLco wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> What are they made of? I don't think we get them here.

>> Wheat. So this Uncle Ben's brand has a line of mexican products which they
>> sell only in Europe? Do they sell just rice in the US? The marvels of
>> nowadays market

>Yes, they only sell rice and rice mixes here in the U.S. No wheat
>products that I've ever seen. Nor anything Mexican, for sure.
>
>It looks like Uncle Ben's sells Indian curries and chili mixes in the
>UK, noodles, Thai curries, and oriental sauces in Germany, but I can't
>find an Italian site.

That's because Italian is no more a cusine than European.

Uncle Bens does sell Tex-Mex style products in the UK, scroll to the
very bottom of the page to click on area of choice, then click on
products:
http://www.unclebens.com/
http://www.unclebens.co.uk/our-products
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "ViLco" > wrote in message
>> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>
>>> I really don't know what you have. A typical tortilla in the states is
>>> either corn or flour. If the tortilla is corn, immersing it and
>>> passing it rather quickly through hot oil will make it pliable enough
>>> to fold it for tacos or roll it for other preparations. The typical
>>> corn tortilla is around seven inches in diameter and about 1/8 inch
>>> thick where I live.

>> So they are less tender than flour ones, I gather
>>
>>> Flour tortillas are far more pliable when bought.
>>> They can be steamed just a bit and then can be rolled and folded with
>>> filling and will be as large or much larger in diameter than corn
>>> tortillas.

>> So flour tortillas don't usually get fried, am I correct?
>>
>>> The more that corn tortillas are fried, the more unforgiving they get.
>>> Both tortillas can be used as a wrap, but both are completely
>>> different in preparation. I'm sure I've left crucial stuff out, but
>>> the group will fill it in.

>> Thansk for the info

> Large flour tortillas are frequently fried as a shell for taco salads (not
> authentic Mexican food) or chalupas which is sort of like a large taco but
> eaten with a fork. Recently I saw a soft chalupa offered on a menu. I
> was told that it is the same. Just not fried. Taquitos or Flautas are a
> rolled taco with only meat or meat and cheese as a filling. Used to be
> that Taquitos used a corn tortilla and Flautas used flour but these days
> you never know. These are usually fried but sometimes baked. Then there
> is the Chimichanga. I don't know exactly what this is because I had one
> once and disliked it. Sort of like a burrito I guess but fried. Then
> there is a dessert that is made using triangles of flour tortillas, fried.
> Usually then dipped in cinnamon and sugar. Sometimes drizzled with corn
> syrup, strawberry syrup or honey. Sometimes topped with berries, cooked
> cinnamon apples, ice cream and/or whipped cream. Often called sopapillas
> but a real sopapilla is actually a soft bun that you poke a hole in and
> fill with honey at the table. Also called Crustos and other names.

You got the chimichangaa correct -- it's a deep fried burrito. They harken
from Arizona, from what I've been told, so like Nachos, taco salads,
fajitas, burritos, and quesadillas they're not authentic mexican food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Chemo" > wrote in message
> On Oct 2, 9:23 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 13:07:41 +0200, ViLco wrote:
>>> I got a package recently and they worked out pretty good, I filled them
>>> with
>>> a chicken and onion filling and baked then in the oven, the tortillas
>>> got a
>>> very nice friable and soft texture.
>>> I've read that someone fries them, is this done in a little oil or is it
>>> deep fried? Those who fry tortillas, do they do that after filling them
>>> or
>>> before using them some way?
>>> Thanks in advance

>> UNcle Ben's Tortillas? That kinda funny. A White guy's name on a
>> brand of tortillas. Only in Italy, I guess!
>>
>> Are they corn or flour?
>>
>> -sw

> I thought old unk Ben was black.
>
> He is!

What the hell is converted rice ?

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "ViLco" >
wrote:

> > Flour tortillas are far more pliable when bought.
> > They can be steamed just a bit and then can be rolled and folded with
> > filling and will be as large or much larger in diameter than corn
> > tortillas.

> So flour tortillas don't usually get fried, am I correct?

Let me rethink/rephrase this. Flour tortillas are definitely more
pliable. Flour tortillas (where I live) can be put individually in a pan
that will hold them on medium heat and pressed with your fingers until
it's warm to your fingers, flipped and held for the same amount of time.
The time is short and makes them more pliable. Flour tortillas soften
with dry heat. Don't use oil in the pan.
Then you can pretty much make bulky origami from them. Steaming is not
necessary (where I live). I'm sorry I mentioned it. Once you have
heated, put filling in the center and wrapped, folding the ends inside,
or rolled them, you can do pretty much what you want with them with a
no-water method. You can bake the flour tortilla bundle or wrap, or you
can fry it if you have folded the ends in. You can put cheese, olives,
onions or whatever you want on a baked one before baking. Or you can
simply use one as a wrap for vegetables.
Both flour and corn tortillas (where I live) use precooked ingredients
inside them before final heating in preparation for serving.
I don't think you can fold in the ends of a corn tortilla. That's where
tamales show up, and they're completely different.
With flour tortillas, think of stuffing pita, only wrap it.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Chemo" > wrote in message
>>> UNcle Ben's Tortillas? That kinda funny. A White guy's name on a
>>> brand of tortillas. Only in Italy, I guess!
>>>
>>> Are they corn or flour?
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I thought old unk Ben was black.
>>
>> He is!

> What the hell is converted rice ?
>
> Greg

You are in luck (or maybe not). A while ago, I typed this
information that was in one of the Uncle Ben booklets, just to
preserve the information:

Here is the process used for "Converted Rice":

1. The rice is cleaned.
2. It is vacuumed €śto pull microscopic air bubbles out of the
rice grain.€ť
3. It is steeped under pressure €śto dissolve water-soluble B
vitamins and other whole-grain properties from bran, hull and germ
and force them into the rice grain itself.€ť
4. It is steamed €śto seal the water-soluble B vitamins and other
whole-grain properties in the rice grain.€ť
5. It is vacuumed and dry heated €śto remove moisture, harden
outer surface of grain.€ť
6. It is milled and polished and €śready to go into the package.€ť

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I'm going to buy some Default Uncle Ben's tomorrow just for kicks.
> Come to think of it, Gary's going to the grocery store in a few hours
> so pick me up some! :-)
>
> -sw

Oh all right, Steve.
LOL! You remembered, eh? :-D

Note: this is why one should never tell lies on a Usenet group. You tend to
forget what you lied about eventually and someone will call you on it later.
If you stick to the truth, you won't forget because you really did do that.

I laughed a short while back when Barbara said something like she would
never dream of grocery shopping at 6am. For you Barbara - if you ever wake
up at 3:15am some Saturday morning, think of me....I'll be at the grocery
store doing my weekly shopping (on the East Coast). heheh It's the
"traditional" grocery shopping time for me. And btw, if you ever need boxes
for moving or whatever, that time is good. Often the stockers are still
working and many empty boxes in the isles, free for the asking/taking.

Finally, to repond to another thread about going to many stores for
sales.... I rarely do that but I did do it yesterday. One nearby store was
selling Angel Soft tp for only $4.99 for 24-rolls (or 12 double rolls).
Normally, I check my regular store (Farm Fresh) and they have the same or
similar sales. If I'm only saving pennies, I'll pay extra to get all from
the one store. This time my store was selling them for $8.99.

So I got home from regular shopping, then went out to buy gas for my van and
nearby was the other store where I saved $4.00 on the large package of tp.
Both the gas station and the Food Lion open at 7am.

G.

PS - one nice thing about living in a populated area. Within a mile radius
of my house, I have 3 normal grocery stores and one health food store (where
I buy fresh dried spices and bulk grains). Expand that radius to 2.5 miles
from my house and I have 7 normal grocery stores, 4 specialty grocery stores
(health food store, Fresh Market, TJ's, Whole Foods), and still a few more
very small specialty stores. One for olive oil only and one that specializes
in cheese and wine. Also 2 nice pet stores in that radius for pet food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 06:14:34 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> I laughed a short while back when Barbara said something like she would
> never dream of grocery shopping at 6am. For you Barbara - if you ever wake
> up at 3:15am some Saturday morning, think of me....I'll be at the grocery
> store doing my weekly shopping (on the East Coast). heheh It's the
> "traditional" grocery shopping time for me. And btw, if you ever need boxes
> for moving or whatever, that time is good. Often the stockers are still
> working and many empty boxes in the isles, free for the asking/taking.

Back when I used to drive the kids to school and they had to be there
by 7:30AM, I'd be grocery shopping by 8 (Price Club used to open at 8
too, which was really nice - Costco doesn't). Grocery shopping alone
just isn't enough incentive to drag my sorry a** out of bed at the
crack of dawn.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Grocery shopping alone
> just isn't enough incentive to drag my sorry a** out of bed at the
> crack of dawn.

I get up no later than 4:30am each morning and even a bit earlier on days
off. I love a store that opens by 6am I'm really annoyed with stores that
wait until 9-10 to open. Walmart rules because they are open 24/7 here.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 23:52:05 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> gregz wrote:

>>> What the hell is converted rice ?
>>>
>>> Greg

>> You are in luck (or maybe not). A while ago, I typed this
>> information that was in one of the Uncle Ben booklets, just to
>> preserve the information:
>>
>> Here is the process used for "Converted Rice":
>>
>> 1. The rice is cleaned.
>> 2. It is vacuumed ´to pull microscopic air bubbles out of the
>> rice grain.ˇ
>> 3. It is steeped under pressure ´to dissolve water-soluble B
>> vitamins and other whole-grain properties from bran, hull and germ
>> and force them into the rice grain itself.ˇ
>> 4. It is steamed ´to seal the water-soluble B vitamins and other
>> whole-grain properties in the rice grain.ˇ
>> 5. It is vacuumed and dry heated ´to remove moisture, harden
>> outer surface of grain.ˇ
>> 6. It is milled and polished and ´ready to go into the package.ˇ

> That must have been a while ago you snarfed that description!
>
> You'd never see that method described any more. As gobbleygook as it
> sounds, it's probably one of the more least-processed(*) methods in
> the "middle aisles" these days.
>
> I'm going to buy some Default Uncle Ben's tomorrow just for kicks.
> Come to think of it, Gary's going to the grocery store in a few hours
> so pick me up some! :-)
>
> -sw

That booklet wasn't ultra-old. I am going trying to capture
points of interest as I sort through my ephemera, and I thought
that might be interesting to someone.

My mother used Uncle Ben's rice. There obviously weren't so many
offerings back then--speaking of the 50s and 60s. The only other
rice that I was aware of was Minute Rice, which I am happy to say
Mom didn't cook. I must haver experienced at some friend's house.
Ugh.

Now, of course, we have access to many more rices, and we know
that Uncle Ben's is just not appropriate in many contexts... and
that there are better choices for every context.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 09:41:53 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > Grocery shopping alone
> > just isn't enough incentive to drag my sorry a** out of bed at the
> > crack of dawn.

> I get up no later than 4:30am each morning and even a bit earlier on days
> off. I love a store that opens by 6am I'm really annoyed with stores that
> wait until 9-10 to open. Walmart rules because they are open 24/7 here.

I probably should have emphasized that if you ever catch me shopping
at 3 or 4 in the morning, it will be because I haven't gone to bed yet
- not because I got up early. From that, you can extrapolate that I'm
not much of a fisherman either. If fish aren't biting at the crack of
noon, they're safe from me.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 09:41:53 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>> >
>> > Grocery shopping alone
>> > just isn't enough incentive to drag my sorry a** out of bed at the
>> > crack of dawn.

>> I get up no later than 4:30am each morning and even a bit earlier on days
>> off. I love a store that opens by 6am I'm really annoyed with stores
>> that
>> wait until 9-10 to open. Walmart rules because they are open 24/7 here.

> I probably should have emphasized that if you ever catch me shopping
> at 3 or 4 in the morning, it will be because I haven't gone to bed yet
> - not because I got up early. From that, you can extrapolate that I'm
> not much of a fisherman either. If fish aren't biting at the crack of
> noon, they're safe from me.

I would only be out at that hour if it were some sort of emergency. Like
the time that I had to take my daughter to the ER and we got out of there at
4:00 a.m. I am often up at that hour. Just not usually out.

I don't fish any more. Never really enjoyed it although my dad used to take
us once in a while. It was usually me that caught something. We always
gave the fish away. I never did figure out why we went fishing. I asked my
dad recently. He thought that my brother and I liked to do it. We did not.
Same thing for the camping.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I probably should have emphasized that if you ever catch me shopping
> at 3 or 4 in the morning, it will be because I haven't gone to bed yet
> - not because I got up early. From that, you can extrapolate that I'm
> not much of a fisherman either. If fish aren't biting at the crack of
> noon, they're safe from me.

"the crack of noon?" LOL! I love that one. :-D

Again, I don't go shopping at 3-4 in the morning but I always get up no
later than 4:30am. That's every single day, working or not. I would have
made a great Amish farmer...get up before dawn and do farm chores until
breakfast later. heheh

My weekly grocery shopping is between 6:00 and 6:30 every Saturday or Sunday
morning...sometimes both days if I forget some things on Saturday.

I love Walmart for some things but have never grocery shopped there. It's
for other things in their store. As it's 9 miles from my house, that's long
distance for me. As much as I like the store, I've only been there 3 times
in the last 4 1/2 years. I love that they are open 24 hours though. I'll go
there at 5am, do my shopping, then get back to my regular grocery store by
6:30 or so.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

>> Wheat. So this Uncle Ben's brand has a line of mexican products
>> which they sell only in Europe? Do they sell just rice in the US?
>> The marvels of nowadays market

> Yes, they only sell rice and rice mixes here in the U.S. No wheat
> products that I've ever seen. Nor anything Mexican, for sure.
>
> It looks like Uncle Ben's sells Indian curries and chili mixes in the
> UK, noodles, Thai curries, and oriental sauces in Germany, but I can't
> find an Italian site.

Me too, the only "official" thing I've found so far is this page they
created for a joint campaign with corona beer:
http://www.unclebenscorona.it/
So it looks like Uncle Ben's, at least in Italy, is part of the Mars group
--
Firma predefinita

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> sf wrote:
>>
>> I probably should have emphasized that if you ever catch me shopping
>> at 3 or 4 in the morning, it will be because I haven't gone to bed yet
>> - not because I got up early. From that, you can extrapolate that I'm
>> not much of a fisherman either. If fish aren't biting at the crack of
>> noon, they're safe from me.

> "the crack of noon?" LOL! I love that one. :-D
>
> Again, I don't go shopping at 3-4 in the morning but I always get up no
> later than 4:30am. That's every single day, working or not. I would have
> made a great Amish farmer...get up before dawn and do farm chores until
> breakfast later. heheh
>
> My weekly grocery shopping is between 6:00 and 6:30 every Saturday or
> Sunday
> morning...sometimes both days if I forget some things on Saturday.
>
> I love Walmart for some things but have never grocery shopped there. It's
> for other things in their store. As it's 9 miles from my house, that's
> long
> distance for me. As much as I like the store, I've only been there 3
> times
> in the last 4 1/2 years. I love that they are open 24 hours though. I'll
> go
> there at 5am, do my shopping, then get back to my regular grocery store by
> 6:30 or so.
>
> G.

Not many grocery stores are open 24 hours here any more. Used to be most if
not all were. Now only a few and none near here. Our Wal-Mart has an
expanded grocery section but it's still not a full out grocery. Was good
when it first was put in but for some reason they really cut back on the
selection, particularly with the produce which is mainly what we bought. So
not much use to us now but I do still buy some canned sugar free drinks
there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 01:05:48 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 09:41:53 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>> >
>> > Grocery shopping alone
>> > just isn't enough incentive to drag my sorry a** out of bed at the
>> > crack of dawn.

>> I get up no later than 4:30am each morning and even a bit earlier on days
>> off. I love a store that opens by 6am I'm really annoyed with stores that
>> wait until 9-10 to open. Walmart rules because they are open 24/7 here.

>I probably should have emphasized that if you ever catch me shopping
>at 3 or 4 in the morning it will be because I was out selling my ass, I haven't gone to bed yet
>- not because I got up early.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 01:05:48 -0700, sf > wrote:
> >I probably should have emphasized that if you ever catch me shopping
> >at 3 or 4 in the morning it will be because I was out selling my ass, I haven't gone to bed yet
> >- not because I got up early.

Ah....so now we know the truth. Thanks Sheldon.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

>> So flour tortillas don't usually get fried, am I correct?

> Let me rethink/rephrase this. Flour tortillas are definitely more
> pliable. Flour tortillas (where I live) can be put individually in a
> pan that will hold them on medium heat and pressed with your fingers
> until it's warm to your fingers, flipped and held for the same amount
> of time. The time is short and makes them more pliable. Flour
> tortillas soften with dry heat. Don't use oil in the pan.

You're right, it's just what I do with the piadinas I buy now and then: I
did the same with these flour tortillas and it worked out pretty well.

> Then you can pretty much make bulky origami from them. Steaming is not
> necessary (where I live). I'm sorry I mentioned it. Once you have
> heated, put filling in the center and wrapped, folding the ends
> inside, or rolled them, you can do pretty much what you want with
> them with a no-water method. You can bake the flour tortilla bundle
> or wrap

As I did. The texture of the tortillas was very nice, kind of a more friable
piadina, and way thinner, which makes it easier to use

> or you can fry it if you have folded the ends in. You can
> put cheese, olives, onions or whatever you want on a baked one before
> baking.

I wil do that this evening, with some leftvoer ragu' from yesterday, cheese
and some beans

> Or you can simply use one as a wrap for vegetables.
> Both flour and corn tortillas (where I live) use precooked ingredients
> inside them before final heating in preparation for serving.
> I don't think you can fold in the ends of a corn tortilla. That's
> where tamales show up, and they're completely different.
> With flour tortillas, think of stuffing pita, only wrap it.

Just that, thanks
--
Firma predefinita

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nicole Massey wrote:

>> These are usually fried but sometimes baked. Then there is the
>> Chimichanga. I don't know exactly what this is because I had one
>> once and disliked it. Sort of like a burrito I guess but fried. Then
>> there is a dessert that is made using triangles of flour
>> tortillas, fried. Usually then dipped in cinnamon and sugar. Sometimes
>> drizzled with corn syrup, strawberry syrup or honey. Sometimes topped
>> with berries, cooked cinnamon apples, ice cream
>> and/or whipped cream. Often called sopapillas but a real sopapilla
>> is actually a soft bun that you poke a hole in and fill with honey
>> at the table. Also called Crustos and other names.

> You got the chimichangaa correct -- it's a deep fried burrito. They
> harken from Arizona, from what I've been told, so like Nachos, taco
> salads, fajitas, burritos, and quesadillas they're not authentic
> mexican food.

Thanks for the nice amount of info, Nicole and Julie
--
Firma predefinita