Iowa Cook

Default help with homemade lemon curd

hi fellow cooks...i made some lemon curd this weekend - actually, it
is lime curd - tastes great but it didn't set up as firm as i remember
- just a tad runny. can i put it back over heat again to thicken it?
thanks in advance for your help.
Charles Gifford

"Iowa Cook" > wrote in message
om...
> hi fellow cooks...i made some lemon curd this weekend - actually, it
> is lime curd - tastes great but it didn't set up as firm as i remember
> - just a tad runny. can i put it back over heat again to thicken it?
> thanks in advance for your help.

It is very difficult to venture a guess without seeing your recipe. Post
your recipe and state if you followed it or not.

Charlie

Iowa Cook

hi - here's the recipe. it's part of a cooking light cheesecake
recipe. what i did different: used fresh lime juice, doubled the
recipe, forgot to stir occasionally while it was cooling. thanks for
your time!

Key Lime Curd

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup bottled key lime juice (such as Nellie and Joe's)
5 large egg yolks
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces

Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium, heavy saucepan. Cook over
medium heat 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a
whisk. Remove from heat. Add butter; stir with a whisk until butter
melts. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 20 minutes or until
lime curd comes to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Cover and
chill.

Yield: *About 1 1/2 cups (serving size: 1 1/2 tablespoons)
zxcvbob

Iowa Cook wrote:
> hi - here's the recipe. it's part of a cooking light cheesecake
> recipe. what i did different: used fresh lime juice, doubled the
> recipe, forgot to stir occasionally while it was cooling. thanks for
> your time!
>
> Key Lime Curd
>
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1/2 cup bottled key lime juice (such as Nellie and Joe's)
> 5 large egg yolks
> 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
>
> Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium, heavy saucepan. Cook over
> medium heat 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a
> whisk. Remove from heat. Add butter; stir with a whisk until butter
> melts. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 20 minutes or until
> lime curd comes to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Cover and
> chill.
>
> Yield: About 1 1/2 cups (serving size: 1 1/2 tablespoons)

I'm pretty sure Nellie and Joe's is not really key lime juice. Notice
that the label never says "key lime", it says "Key West lime", and their
web site goes on and on about Key West and hardly ever mentions the
limes. I think "Nellie and Joe's Key West Lime Juice" is a trademark,
and doesn't really mean anything, and one really is paying a lot of
money for Persian lime juice and a good story.

You need to get fresh Mexican limes if you want key limes. The pie may
very well taste better with bottled Persian lime juice, I don't know --
that's not the point I was making.

Thanks for posting the recipe.

Best regards, :-)
Bob
Richard Kaszeta

zxcvbob > writes:
> I'm pretty sure Nellie and Joe's is not really key lime juice. Notice
> that the label never says "key lime", it says "Key West lime", and
> their web site goes on and on about Key West and hardly ever mentions
> the limes. I think "Nellie and Joe's Key West Lime Juice" is a
> trademark, and doesn't really mean anything, and one really is paying
> a lot of money for Persian lime juice and a good story.

Actually, the bottles I have say "key lime juice from concentrate, no
preservatives" in the ingredients.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

Bob (this one)

Iowa Cook wrote:

> hi - here's the recipe. it's part of a cooking light cheesecake
> recipe. what i did different: used fresh lime juice, doubled the
> recipe, forgot to stir occasionally while it was cooling. thanks for
> your time!
>=20
> Key Lime Curd=20
>=20
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1/2 cup bottled key lime juice (such as Nellie and Joe's)
> 5 large egg yolks
> 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
> =09
> Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium, heavy saucepan. Cook over
> medium heat 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a
> whisk. Remove from heat. Add butter; stir with a whisk until butter
> melts. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 20 minutes or until
> lime curd comes to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Cover and
> chill.
>=20
> Yield: About 1 1/2 cups (serving size: 1 1/2 tablespoons)

This is a crap recipe. Here's a scaled version of my packaged key lime=20
curd. It'll make enough for the recipe you're doing and leave some=20
left over for smearing on toast or a good friend. There's no need to=20
stir while it's cooling. You can use the icewater bath if you want to,=20
but it's not really necessary.

1 cup key lime juice
zest of 1/2 limes, finely grated
13 1/2 oz sugar (1 3/4 cups)
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
9 large eggs

Combine everything but eggs in a saucepan and bring to a simmer=20
(190=B0-195=B0F). Whisk eggs together and dump them into the juice mixtur=
e=20
all at once whisking rapidly to mix. Stir often and bring to=20
185=B0-190=B0F. Remove from heat and let cool to room temp or ladle into =

canning jars. Cover and refrigerate.

Pastorio

zxcvbob

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Iowa Cook wrote:
>
>> hi - here's the recipe. it's part of a cooking light cheesecake
>> recipe. what i did different: used fresh lime juice, doubled the
>> recipe, forgot to stir occasionally while it was cooling. thanks for
>> your time!
>>
>> Key Lime Curd
>> 1/2 cup sugar
>> 1/2 cup bottled key lime juice (such as Nellie and Joe's)
>> 5 large egg yolks
>> 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
>>
>> Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium, heavy saucepan. Cook over
>> medium heat 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a
>> whisk. Remove from heat. Add butter; stir with a whisk until butter
>> melts. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 20 minutes or until
>> lime curd comes to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Cover and
>> chill.
>>
>> Yield: About 1 1/2 cups (serving size: 1 1/2 tablespoons)

> This is a crap recipe. Here's a scaled version of my packaged key lime
> curd. It'll make enough for the recipe you're doing and leave some left
> over for smearing on toast or a good friend. There's no need to stir
> while it's cooling. You can use the icewater bath if you want to, but
> it's not really necessary.
>
> 1 cup key lime juice
> zest of 1/2 limes, finely grated
> 13 1/2 oz sugar (1 3/4 cups)
> 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
> 9 large eggs
>
> Combine everything but eggs in a saucepan and bring to a simmer
> (190°-195°F). Whisk eggs together and dump them into the juice mixture
> all at once whisking rapidly to mix. Stir often and bring to 185°-190°F.
> Remove from heat and let cool to room temp or ladle into canning jars.
> Cover and refrigerate.
>
> Pastorio

What makes it a crap recipe? The relatively small amount of butter?
Lack of zest (fresh or otherwise)?

Thanks, regards,
Bob
JANIC412

- here's the recipe. it's part of a cooking light cheesecake
recipe. what i did different: used fresh lime juice, doubled the
recipe, forgot to stir occasionally while it was cooling. thanks for
your time!

Here is a good recipe for citrus curd, you may use any type of citrus, lemon,
lime or orange. just be sure to use fresh juice, it makes a world of
difference:

Citrus Curd

4 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup fresh juice orange, lemon or lime
1 tsp. grated peel or more to taste
1/2 cup real, unsalted butter, cut into TBS. pieces

Beat the eggs until light in color-mix in the sugar with a whisk. Put into the
top of a double boiler over simmering water. Add the butter a TBS. at a time
whisking constantly until the curd becomes thick like mayonnaise. Cool then
refrigerate. Jan

Bob

Jan wrote:

> Here is a good recipe for citrus curd, you may use any type of citrus,
> lemon, lime or orange. just be sure to use fresh juice, it makes a world
> of difference:
>
> Citrus Curd
>
> 4 large eggs
> 1 cup granulated sugar
> 1/2 cup fresh juice orange, lemon or lime
> 1 tsp. grated peel or more to taste
> 1/2 cup real, unsalted butter, cut into TBS. pieces
>
> Beat the eggs until light in color-mix in the sugar with a whisk. Put into
> the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Add the butter a TBS. at
> a time whisking constantly until the curd becomes thick like mayonnaise.
> Cool then refrigerate. Jan

When do you add the juice and zest?

Bob

Bob

Jan wrote:

> Here is a good recipe for citrus curd, you may use any type of citrus,
> lemon, lime or orange. just be sure to use fresh juice, it makes a world
> of difference:
>
> Citrus Curd
>
> 4 large eggs
> 1 cup granulated sugar
> 1/2 cup fresh juice orange, lemon or lime
> 1 tsp. grated peel or more to taste
> 1/2 cup real, unsalted butter, cut into TBS. pieces
>
> Beat the eggs until light in color-mix in the sugar with a whisk. Put into
> the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Add the butter a TBS. at
> a time whisking constantly until the curd becomes thick like mayonnaise.
> Cool then refrigerate. Jan

When do you add the juice and zest?

Bob

Bob (this one)

zxcvbob wrote:

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>=20
>> Iowa Cook wrote:
>>
>>> hi - here's the recipe. it's part of a cooking light cheesecake
>>> recipe. what i did different: used fresh lime juice, doubled the
>>> recipe, forgot to stir occasionally while it was cooling. thanks for
>>> your time!
>>>
>>> Key Lime Curd
>>> 1/2 cup sugar
>>> 1/2 cup bottled key lime juice (such as Nellie and Joe's)
>>> 5 large egg yolks
>>> 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
>>> Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium, heavy saucepan. Cook ove=

>>> medium heat 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a
>>> whisk. Remove from heat. Add butter; stir with a whisk until butter
>>> melts. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 20 minutes or until
>>> lime curd comes to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Cover and=

>>> chill.
>>>
>>> Yield: About 1 1/2 cups (serving size: 1 1/2 tablespoons)

>> This is a crap recipe. Here's a scaled version of my packaged key lime=

=20
>> curd. It'll make enough for the recipe you're doing and leave some=20
>> left over for smearing on toast or a good friend. There's no need to=20
>> stir while it's cooling. You can use the icewater bath if you want to,=

=20
>> but it's not really necessary.
>>
>> 1 cup key lime juice
>> zest of 1/2 limes, finely grated
>> 13 1/2 oz sugar (1 3/4 cups)
>> 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
>> 9 large eggs
>>
>> Combine everything but eggs in a saucepan and bring to a simmer=20
>> (190=B0-195=B0F). Whisk eggs together and dump them into the juice mix=

ture=20
>> all at once whisking rapidly to mix. Stir often and bring to=20
>> 185=B0-190=B0F. Remove from heat and let cool to room temp or ladle in=

to=20
>> canning jars. Cover and refrigerate.
>>
>> Pastorio

>=20
> What makes it a crap recipe? The relatively small amount of butter?=20
> Lack of zest (fresh or otherwise)?

Several things. The directions are typical and silly. Cooking the eggs=20
the whole time means that much greater chance for it to overcook.=20
Stirring while it cools is a needless step. Nellie and Joe's *Key West=20
Lime Juice* isn't key lime juice. It's Persian lime juice from=20
concentrate. There's no good reason to treat the butter the way it is=20
in the recipe. Just add it up front. The lack of egg white means it=20
will lose virtually all the protein that can act as a binder and=20
thickener.

I don't have much time for Cooking Light and their whole approach to=20
food. They seem to be concerned only with removing as much fat as can=20
be done irrespective of the quality of the results.

When I make curd in large batches, I bring everything but the eggs to=20
a full boil and add the eggs all at once while mixing with a wand=20
blender. A batch of 48 jars takes me 21 minutes to cook that way and=20
there's no chance of making scrambled eggs with this technique. The=20
first part can be done in a mike very easily with the egg cookery=20
stovetop for better control and the capacity to stir and mix while=20
heating.

Pastorio

JANIC412

Citrus Curd

> 4 large eggs
> 1 cup granulated sugar
> 1/2 cup fresh juice orange, lemon or lime
> 1 tsp. grated peel or more to taste
> 1/2 cup real, unsalted butter, cut into TBS. pieces
>
> Beat the eggs until light in color-mix in the sugar with a whisk. Put into
> the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Add the butter a TBS. at
> a time whisking constantly until the curd becomes thick like mayonnaise.
> Cool then refrigerate. Jan

When do you add the juice and zest?

Bob

Yikes!!! I am really slipping in my golden years LOL. Add the juice and zest
to the egg/sugar mixture and mix well, then proceed. Jan
JANIC412

Citrus Curd

> 4 large eggs
> 1 cup granulated sugar
> 1/2 cup fresh juice orange, lemon or lime
> 1 tsp. grated peel or more to taste
> 1/2 cup real, unsalted butter, cut into TBS. pieces
>
> Beat the eggs until light in color-mix in the sugar with a whisk. Put into
> the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Add the butter a TBS. at
> a time whisking constantly until the curd becomes thick like mayonnaise.
> Cool then refrigerate. Jan

When do you add the juice and zest?

Bob

Yikes!!! I am really slipping in my golden years LOL. Add the juice and zest
to the egg/sugar mixture and mix well, then proceed. Jan
Iowa Cook

i'm new to these boards, so not sure where my original message went
(!!) my original question was, based on this recipe and the
adjustments i made, is there any way to recook the cooled curd to make
it a little thicker? for some reason this time, it's just a tad runny.

by the way...this is a nice recipe, lower in fat than traditional
curd. someone metioned adding zest, which sounds like a fine idea!.
thanks for your help!

zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
> Iowa Cook wrote:
> > hi - here's the recipe. it's part of a cooking light cheesecake
> > recipe. what i did different: used fresh lime juice, doubled the
> > recipe, forgot to stir occasionally while it was cooling. thanks for
> > your time!
> >
> > Key Lime Curd
> >
> > 1/2 cup sugar
> > 1/2 cup bottled key lime juice (such as Nellie and Joe's)
> > 5 large egg yolks
> > 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
> >
> > Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium, heavy saucepan. Cook over
> > medium heat 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a
> > whisk. Remove from heat. Add butter; stir with a whisk until butter
> > melts. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 20 minutes or until
> > lime curd comes to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Cover and
> > chill.
> >
> > Yield: About 1 1/2 cups (serving size: 1 1/2 tablespoons)

> I'm pretty sure Nellie and Joe's is not really key lime juice. Notice
> that the label never says "key lime", it says "Key West lime", and their
> web site goes on and on about Key West and hardly ever mentions the
> limes. I think "Nellie and Joe's Key West Lime Juice" is a trademark,
> and doesn't really mean anything, and one really is paying a lot of
> money for Persian lime juice and a good story.
>
> You need to get fresh Mexican limes if you want key limes. The pie may
> very well taste better with bottled Persian lime juice, I don't know --
> that's not the point I was making.
>
> Thanks for posting the recipe.
>
> Best regards, :-)
> Bob

Iowa Cook

thanks for posting an different recipe to try! i'm sorry the one i
posted didn't work for you - what happened that made it such a poor
recipe for you? i've had great luck up until this last batch and i'm
thinking i didn't cook it enough. when it works, this cooking light
recipe is zesty and fresh tasting.

zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
> Bob (this one) wrote:
> > Iowa Cook wrote:
> >
> >> hi - here's the recipe. it's part of a cooking light cheesecake
> >> recipe. what i did different: used fresh lime juice, doubled the
> >> recipe, forgot to stir occasionally while it was cooling. thanks for
> >> your time!
> >>
> >> Key Lime Curd
> >> 1/2 cup sugar
> >> 1/2 cup bottled key lime juice (such as Nellie and Joe's)
> >> 5 large egg yolks
> >> 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
> >>
> >> Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium, heavy saucepan. Cook over
> >> medium heat 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a
> >> whisk. Remove from heat. Add butter; stir with a whisk until butter
> >> melts. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 20 minutes or until
> >> lime curd comes to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Cover and
> >> chill.
> >>
> >> Yield: About 1 1/2 cups (serving size: 1 1/2 tablespoons)

> > This is a crap recipe. Here's a scaled version of my packaged key lime
> > curd. It'll make enough for the recipe you're doing and leave some left
> > over for smearing on toast or a good friend. There's no need to stir
> > while it's cooling. You can use the icewater bath if you want to, but
> > it's not really necessary.
> >
> > 1 cup key lime juice
> > zest of 1/2 limes, finely grated
> > 13 1/2 oz sugar (1 3/4 cups)
> > 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
> > 9 large eggs
> >
> > Combine everything but eggs in a saucepan and bring to a simmer
> > (190°-195°F). Whisk eggs together and dump them into the juice mixture
> > all at once whisking rapidly to mix. Stir often and bring to 185°-190°F.
> > Remove from heat and let cool to room temp or ladle into canning jars.
> > Cover and refrigerate.
> >
> > Pastorio
> >

> What makes it a crap recipe? The relatively small amount of butter?
> Lack of zest (fresh or otherwise)?
>
> Thanks, regards,
> Bob

zxcvbob

Iowa Cook wrote:

> i'm new to these boards, so not sure where my original message went
> (!!) my original question was, based on this recipe and the
> adjustments i made, is there any way to recook the cooled curd to make
> it a little thicker? for some reason this time, it's just a tad runny.
>
> by the way...this is a nice recipe, lower in fat than traditional
> curd. someone metioned adding zest, which sounds like a fine idea!.
> thanks for your help!

I would carefully reheat it, and slowly in quite a bit more butter --
like making a hollandaise sauce.

BTW, if you are looking for something lemony and not so high in fat,
here's my recipe for lemon meringue pie filling. I don't know if it is
rich enough to be good without the pastry:

Lemon Meringue Pie (for 10" pan)
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
4 Tbsp flour
4 Tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
3 Tbsp butter
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 cup lemon juice
4 egg yolks (save whites for meringue)

Combine sugar, water, starch, flour, and salt in medium saucepan. Cook
over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly.
Reduce heat to low and cook 2 minutes more. Beat egg yolks slightly.
Slowly beat about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, then
return the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil,
cook and stir 2 minutes more. Stir in butter and lemon peel. Slowly
stir in lemon juice. Pour hot filling into baked 10 inch pie shell.
Top with meringue and seal to edges; bake in a 350 degree oven for about
15 minutes or until meringue is golden.

Best regards,
Bob

Lemon Layer Cake With Lemon Curd lindatn Recipes (moderated) 0 15-03-2007 11:02 PM
LEMON CURD pskov_recipe Preserving 0 28-01-2006 12:23 AM
Lemon curd Diane M General Cooking 5 26-01-2006 01:10 AM
Lemon curd Darryl L. Pierce General Cooking 10 26-05-2004 02:30 PM
Lemon Curd? Jason Reid General Cooking 3 04-10-2003 10:39 PM