Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How much sandwich meat?

I've been asked to buy sufficient sliced deli meat for 50 people...
how much would that be?

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 16, 7:56*am, (Derek Lyons) wrote:
> I've been asked to buy sufficient sliced deli meat for 50 people...
> how much would that be?

What else will be served? Are these elderly ladies or teen boys? Will
they have been doing any physical activity? Midwesterners or
Californians? Will you be getting mostly lean meat like roast beef and
turkey, or obviously fatty meat like salami? Better to order too much
than not enough but do you have a use for the rest?

One problem is that the more meat people see, the more they will take.
But if they see plenty of other food, they will take less. If there
will be salads, chips, desserts, etc., I would get eight to ten
pounds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Aug 16, 7:56 am, (Derek Lyons) wrote:
>
>> I've been asked to buy sufficient sliced deli meat for 50 people...
>> how much would that be?
>>

> What else will be served? Are these elderly ladies or teen boys? Will
> they have been doing any physical activity? Midwesterners or
> Californians? Will you be getting mostly lean meat like roast beef and
> turkey, or obviously fatty meat like salami? Better to order too much
> than not enough but do you have a use for the rest?
>
> One problem is that the more meat people see, the more they will take.
> But if they see plenty of other food, they will take less. If there
> will be salads, chips, desserts, etc., I would get eight to ten
> pounds.

Ten pounds might do it; that's about 3 ounces per person. But if they
are all football players or oilfield workers they will eat 2 or 3 times
that. (and the Ladies' Bridge Club will probably eat less.)

Don't set it all out at once.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2012 10:21 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:

> One problem is that the more meat people see, the more they will take.
> But if they see plenty of other food, they will take less. If there
> will be salads, chips, desserts, etc., I would get eight to ten
> pounds.

In my experience, you are so right. I put out deli meats for a
conference, and the meat disappeared in no time, we had to run back to
the store. I would choose 3 different meats and 2 different cheeses,
the larger your selection to choose from, the slower the line will move.

Use one tray consisting of a 2-3 pound display of meat at a time, and
keep replacing it with new trays. We had a nice selection of food to
choose from, but that did not matter, people went directly for the meat.
Lesson learned.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2012 11:59 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 8/16/2012 10:21 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>
>> One problem is that the more meat people see, the more they will take.
>> But if they see plenty of other food, they will take less. If there
>> will be salads, chips, desserts, etc., I would get eight to ten
>> pounds.

> In my experience, you are so right. I put out deli meats for a
> conference, and the meat disappeared in no time, we had to run back to
> the store. I would choose 3 different meats and 2 different cheeses,
> the larger your selection to choose from, the slower the line will move.
>
> Use one tray consisting of a 2-3 pound display of meat at a time, and
> keep replacing it with new trays. We had a nice selection of food to
> choose from, but that did not matter, people went directly for the
> meat. Lesson learned.

The very first really large event I coordinated/catered, the buffet
featured two meats and a veggie alternative for the non meat-eaters.
We ran into huge trouble within minutes: the meat eaters got their
meat or meats, then went straight to the veggie alternative and helped
themselves to that, too. Since there was less of that to begin with,
we ran out right away. Crisis.

A quick phone call to a local restaurant got me a couple of pans of
another veggie alternative to finish out the event, but I learned a
valuable lesson: if the vegetarian entree looks delicious, the
carnivores will plunder that, too. Plan accordingly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 16, 10:56*am, (Derek Lyons) wrote:
> I've been asked to buy sufficient sliced deli meat for 50 people...
> how much would that be?
>
> D.
> --
> Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
>
> http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/
>
> -Resolved: To be more temperate in my postings.
> Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

The standard is 3 ounces of meat and 2 ounces of cheese per person.
Of course the type of people attending the event plays a large role.
For a function that's attended by only women you could cut it down to
2 ounces of meat per person. If it's all men, bump it up to about 4
1/2 ounces per person.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 > wrote:

>On Aug 16, 7:56*am, (Derek Lyons) wrote:
>> I've been asked to buy sufficient sliced deli meat for 50 people...
>> how much would that be?

>What else will be served? Are these elderly ladies or teen boys? Will
>they have been doing any physical activity? Midwesterners or
>Californians? Will you be getting mostly lean meat like roast beef and
>turkey, or obviously fatty meat like salami? Better to order too much
>than not enough but do you have a use for the rest?

A variety of ages, tending mostly towards middle aged and older. No
significant physical activity. All lean meats. Salad and raw veggies
will accompany the meat and cheese.

Thanks for the tips, sorry for the lack of details.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> The standard is 3 ounces of meat and 2 ounces of cheese per person.

Can't be -- that's too heavy on the cheese. A better ratio is 3-to-1.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 16, 4:11*pm, George M. Middius > wrote:
> wrote:
> > The standard is 3 ounces of meat and 2 ounces of cheese per person.

> Can't be -- that's too heavy on the cheese. A better ratio is 3-to-1.

On the meat and cheese trays that I've gotten from the grocery deli
the ratio is 4 pounds of meat and 3 pounds of cheese. So I was
actually being a little conservative on the amount of cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:

> On Aug 16, 7:56 am, (Derek Lyons) wrote:
> > I've been asked to buy sufficient sliced deli meat for 50 people...
> > how much would that be?

> One problem is that the more meat people see, the more they will take.
> But if they see plenty of other food, they will take less. If there
> will be salads, chips, desserts, etc., I would get eight to ten
> pounds.

For 50 people I would say more like 20 -25 pounds if you are the only one
providing the meat. That's a lot of expense for just you....I hope the
occasion is worth it.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

When I was faced with this situation, I didn't offer a lot of choices. Otherwise, they all grab for the turkey and leave the ham. You get my drift.

Offer a lot of mayo, mustard, let and tom and the stuff will go faster. Also, I found that rolls are easier to fill when going thru a buffet line than sliced bread. Mine was a DIY buffet deal and they HATED the bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Derek Lyons wrote:

> I've been asked to buy sufficient sliced deli meat for 50 people...
> how much would that be?

Personally, I'd tell them, "Right! I don't think so. Homey don't play that."

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> Derek Lyons wrote:
>
>> I've been asked to buy sufficient sliced deli meat for 50 people...
>> how much would that be?
>>

> Personally, I'd tell them, "Right! I don't think so. Homey don't play that."
>
> G.

Nice, an "In Living Color" reference. I haven't heard that in years. :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Derek Lyons wrote:
> >
> >> I've been asked to buy sufficient sliced deli meat for 50 people...
> >> how much would that be?
> >>

> > Personally, I'd tell them, "Right! I don't think so. Homey don't play that."
> >
> > G.
> >

> Nice, an "In Living Color" reference. I haven't heard that in years. :-)
>
> Bob

That was a good show and the "Homey the clown" skits were my favorite.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote:

>Derek Lyons wrote:
>>
>> I've been asked to buy sufficient sliced deli meat for 50 people...
>> how much would that be?

>Personally, I'd tell them, "Right! I don't think so. Homey don't play that."

Um, what? Not the cultural reference... but why should I tell them I
won't do the job I volunteered for? Or have you somehow leapt, sans
evidence, to the conclusion that this is coming out of my own pocket?
(It isn't.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 16, 2:27*pm, Gary > wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
> > Gary wrote:

> > > Personally, I'd tell them, "Right! I don't think so. Homey don't play that."

> > > G.

> > Nice, an "In Living Color" reference. *I haven't heard that in years. :-)

> > Bob

> That was a good show and the "Homey the clown" skits were my favorite. *
>
> Gary

That and the ugly blond chick- Jamie Foxx? And Jim Carey as the Fire
Chief? I see reruns on our Hispanic channel- that show was brilliant
at times....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:59:49 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

>On 8/16/2012 10:21 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>
>> One problem is that the more meat people see, the more they will take.
>> But if they see plenty of other food, they will take less. If there
>> will be salads, chips, desserts, etc., I would get eight to ten
>> pounds.

>In my experience, you are so right. I put out deli meats for a
>conference, and the meat disappeared in no time, we had to run back to
>the store. I would choose 3 different meats and 2 different cheeses,
>the larger your selection to choose from, the slower the line will move.
>
>Use one tray consisting of a 2-3 pound display of meat at a time, and
>keep replacing it with new trays. We had a nice selection of food to
>choose from, but that did not matter, people went directly for the meat.
>Lesson learned.
>
>Becca

There'll be a huge difference in cold cut consumption between serving
ready made sandwiches and folks fixing their own. For fix their own
I'd provide minimally 8 ounces per, and that will be cutting it mighty
close... most folks will fix themselves two sandwiches and stuff them
to overflowing, and then many people won't eat all they take. For
fifty people I'd definitely serve prepared sandwiches, preferibly like
four foot heros pre cut. Figure four-six inches per person... how
much meat depends on how much other fillings; lettuce, tomato, cheese,
etc., and what other foods are served... but with pre made heros you
can use far less meat and fluff it up with shredded lettuce. Thing is
most folks come to these feeds hongry, they will definitely fress. I
wouldn't attend a fix your own event, I don't want to eat cold cuts
handled by fifty folks with ass-wipe/nose-pick fingers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 16:48:15 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>spamtrap1888 wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 16, 7:56 am, (Derek Lyons) wrote:
>> > I've been asked to buy sufficient sliced deli meat for 50 people...
>> > how much would that be?

>> One problem is that the more meat people see, the more they will take.
>> But if they see plenty of other food, they will take less. If there
>> will be salads, chips, desserts, etc., I would get eight to ten
>> pounds.

>For 50 people I would say more like 20 -25 pounds if you are the only one
>providing the meat. That's a lot of expense for just you....I hope the
>occasion is worth it.

I have to agree. Gary, as you can see from reading this thread most
rfc's are afflicted with cheap ******* disease.. they're thinking
bologna/American cheese and have never sprung for a party. And no
matter how one arranges the food at a buffet the fressers are experts
at circumventing any and all roadblocks... guaranteed they will pass
by the rabbit food and fill their plates to overflowing with cold
cuts, they'll forego the bread and instead make roll-ups with three
slices of cold cuts wrapped around a small spoonful of potato salad,
the professionals will scarf down a dozen of these and return for
seconds. For feeding large parties of people who hardly know each
other it costs far less, and is classier, to serve pre made
sandwiches... that's why most delis will suggest heros by the foot.
For 50 people one would need to order minimally six 4' heros... at
today's prices you're looking at $30-$40 per depending on variety.
Don't put them all out at once as these days lots of folks will eat
the insides and toss the bread, and keep grabbing until they've eaten
for six. I strongly suggest having a couple of servers, for portion
control and to circumvent terlit fingers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> I would get eight to ten pounds.

I was going to say 3 ounces per person... which comes to just
under 10 pounds.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 08:21:59 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888 wrote:
>
>> On Aug 16, 7:56*am, (Derek Lyons) wrote:
>>> I've been asked to buy sufficient sliced deli meat for 50 people...
>>> how much would that be?

>> What else will be served? Are these elderly ladies or teen boys? Will
>> they have been doing any physical activity? Midwesterners or
>> Californians?

>Just a wild guess (I'm much better at guessing than that dsi1 chick)
>that it's for the lunch break at the Wealdsmere Sergeants Trials.
>
>http://www.antir.sca.org/Upcoming/?Event_ID=2996

Oh so close, but oh so far... Dragon's Laire Searjeantry trials.

But how did you even get that close?

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2012 10:29 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> That only works if the sandwiches are pre made and doled out one per,
> prison inmate feeding style... or served dago football wedding style,
> wher ehero sandwiches are premade, wrapped, and tossed to each guest
> so they didn't need to get up from their table... Yo, Carmine, catch a
> cappacola.

We make an Italian sandwich every once in a while. On a 12 inch roll,
we use a little less than 1/2 pound ham, 1/8 pound Genoa Salami and 1/8
pound provolone. If I could get good cappocola here, I would substitute
half the ham for that. Lettuce, tomato, onion, peppers, olive oil, wine
vinegar, salt, pepper, oregano. That ans some chips makes a meal for
the two of us.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 11:36:06 -0400, George >
wrote:

>On 8/16/2012 12:03 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 14:56:47 GMT, (Derek Lyons)
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been asked to buy sufficient sliced deli meat for 50 people...
>>> how much would that be?
>>>
>>> D.

>> If you are actually going to go to a deli or the deli department of a
>> grocery store to have the meat sliced for you (recommended), I would
>> ask them how much and what kind they would recommend for a group of 50
>> people. Deli departments make up food for groups all the time and
>> they would know best. They can also put it out on trays for you in
>> proper sizing. Do you have platters for the meat or are you just
>> going to put the packages out and let everyone help themselves? (bad
>> idea)
>> Janet US
>>

>Thats what I have done. You can tell the deli what you are doing and
>they will have it ready for you. At least around here they will already
>have a price schedule with say sandwich tray only, then say salad, fruit
>cups and soup for so much and add sides for so much more each.

That's what all delis do, and it costs less to let the deli do it if
you consider all the condiments, garnishes, and disposables included,
and delis know how to arrange food so that it goes further, and looks
appetizing. However it's expensive to feed fifty regardless. Also
when you get 3-4 people to help prepare platters at home they
invariably eat a good 10%... I know from personal experience that all
food workers fress, and they fress the best parts... ie. cook's treat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 11:42:12 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

>On 8/17/2012 10:29 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> That only works if the sandwiches are pre made and doled out one per,
>> prison inmate feeding style... or served dago football wedding style,
>> wher ehero sandwiches are premade, wrapped, and tossed to each guest
>> so they didn't need to get up from their table... Yo, Carmine, catch a
>> cappacola.

>We make an Italian sandwich every once in a while. On a 12 inch roll,
>we use a little less than 1/2 pound ham, 1/8 pound Genoa Salami and 1/8
>pound provolone. If I could get good cappocola here, I would substitute
>half the ham for that. Lettuce, tomato, onion, peppers, olive oil, wine
>vinegar, salt, pepper, oregano. That ans some chips makes a meal for
>the two of us.

How do you know it's a "little less" than a half pound of ham every
time, you must have a cat who gets a slice from the half pound you
bought. Anyway I can say I've never in my life ordered less than a
pound of any cold cuts... it disgusts me to watch folks order a 1/4
pound of this, an 1/8 pound of that, and all sorts of weird amounts...
and woe be to the deli clerk who dares go a slice over.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2012 4:10 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> We make an Italian sandwich every once in a while. On a 12 inch roll,
>> we use a little less than 1/2 pound ham, 1/8 pound Genoa Salami and 1/8
>> pound provolone. If I could get good cappocola here, I would substitute
>> half the ham for that. Lettuce, tomato, onion, peppers, olive oil, wine
>> vinegar, salt, pepper, oregano. That ans some chips makes a meal for
>> the two of us.

> How do you know it's a "little less" than a half pound of ham every
> time, you must have a cat who gets a slice from the half pound you
> bought. Anyway I can say I've never in my life ordered less than a
> pound of any cold cuts... it disgusts me to watch folks order a 1/4
> pound of this, an 1/8 pound of that, and all sorts of weird amounts...
> and woe be to the deli clerk who dares go a slice over.

Actually, Sheldon... this time you are partially right. Our smallest
cat (Phoebe) is a Ham Hog and she gets a slice whenever we get out the
cold cuts.

But I never told you how much meat I buy at one time... I told you how
much meat went on a sandwich. You obviously got confused. I usually
buy a pound and a half of ham and a half pound each of provolone and
genoa along with other cold cuts. That gives us enough to make two to
three sandwiches, feed Phoebe and have some left over to put in salads
or add to a lunch plate. Example, my lunch plate today was some slices
of ham, liverwurst, cheese and a couple of hard boiled eggs. A good,
high protein, low carb lunch.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 07:48:43 GMT, Derek Lyons wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>>Just a wild guess (I'm much better at guessing than that dsi1 chick)
>>>that it's for the lunch break at the Wealdsmere Sergeants Trials.
>>>
>>>http://www.antir.sca.org/Upcoming/?Event_ID=2996

>> Oh so close, but oh so far... Dragon's Laire Searjeantry trials.
>>
>> But how did you even get that close?

>OK, so I looked at your blog. So sue me :-)

Forgot my blog is in my signature.

>Entry from July:
>
>"August 18 Sergeant's Trials - I'm coordinating the lunch"
>
>But only because I recognize your name from someplace. Were you ever
>affiliated with The Santa Cruz Operation and/or Unixware - either as a
>customer or employee? Or maybe something in Austin, TX...?

I lived in Austin TX as a small child some 47 odd years ago, that's
about as close to either as I've ever been... (Or did we live in
Orange and then Austin? Either way it was a hell of a long time ago.)

I have been a poster here off-and-on over the years, that might be it.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>It seems like not many folks here have attended high end catered
>affairs with smorgasbords

Since this is neither catered, nor high end, nor a smorgasbord... I'm
unsure, beyond your usual tooting of your own horn, what your point
is.

D.