Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substitute for Tequila

Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

> Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
> hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
> drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
> she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

Probably best to use the real thing. Many liquor stores have a section of
small 2oz bottles (sample bottles aka airline bottles). I'm sure tequila
would be included. If not, tell her just to buy a pint. It won't cost very
much and she'll be able to make her recipe again if she likes it.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/08/2012 5:51 PM, Gary wrote:
> Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:
>>
>> Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
>> hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
>> drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
>> she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

> Probably best to use the real thing. Many liquor stores have a section of
> small 2oz bottles (sample bottles aka airline bottles). I'm sure tequila
> would be included. If not, tell her just to buy a pint. It won't cost very
> much and she'll be able to make her recipe again if she likes it.
>
> G.

She could also buy the full sized bottle and donate the excess to a
grateful friend or relative!

Win-Win all round! ;-)

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 03:51:32 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:
>>
>> Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
>> hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
>> drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
>> she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

>Probably best to use the real thing. Many liquor stores have a section of
>small 2oz bottles (sample bottles aka airline bottles). I'm sure tequila
>would be included. If not, tell her just to buy a pint. It won't cost very
>much and she'll be able to make her recipe again if she likes it.
>
>G.

Many liquor stores carry half pints too, but the smaller the size the
pricier per ounce. She'd be better off to buy a full size bottle and
save the rest, booze has a very long shelf life. And tequila is a
very good cooking ingredient, great for marinating meats (especially
fish) and maserating fresh fruits.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tequila-shrimp/
http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/s...te-recipe-5323
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...am-recipe.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 03:51:32 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:
> >
> > Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
> > hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
> > drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
> > she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

> Probably best to use the real thing. Many liquor stores have a section of
> small 2oz bottles (sample bottles aka airline bottles). I'm sure tequila
> would be included. If not, tell her just to buy a pint. It won't cost very
> much and she'll be able to make her recipe again if she likes it.

They charge so much for those itty bitty bottles, so IMO it's better
to buy a pint and make margaritas with the leftovers. Sounds like
she's having guests, so surely at least one of them won't turn it
down.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 21:48:50 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> wrote:

>Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
>hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
>drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
>she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

What everyone is trying to say is that there is no flavor substitute
for tequila Buy a bottle and save it to use for something else or
give it away.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 21:48:50 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> > wrote:
>
>> Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may
>> contain hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of
>> tequila. She doesn't drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know
>> anyone that drinks tequila so she's wondering what might (be easier
>> to) substitute.

> What everyone is trying to say is that there is no flavor substitute
> for tequila Buy a bottle and save it to use for something else or
> give it away.
> Janet US

That doesn't mean another liquor couldn't be substituted - would taste
different but still might taste OK as long as authenticity isn't
required. Vodka would give you the alcohol without the flavor, and who
knows, maybe vermouth would OK.

NB: I haven't a clue, of course, just rambling. I think my choice would
be to pick a different recipe altogether.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Gary > wrote:

> Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:
> >
> > Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
> > hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She
> > doesn't
> > drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila
> > so
> > she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

> Probably best to use the real thing. Many liquor stores have a section of
> small 2oz bottles (sample bottles aka airline bottles). I'm sure tequila
> would be included. If not, tell her just to buy a pint. It won't cost very
> much and she'll be able to make her recipe again if she likes it.
>
> G.

yes, found one online last night. we go sometime this week to get some. they had
at least two brands of 50ml for $0,99
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf >
wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 03:51:32 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> > Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:
> > >
> > > Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
> > > hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She
> > > doesn't
> > > drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila
> > > so
> > > she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

> > Probably best to use the real thing. Many liquor stores have a section of
> > small 2oz bottles (sample bottles aka airline bottles). I'm sure tequila
> > would be included. If not, tell her just to buy a pint. It won't cost very
> > much and she'll be able to make her recipe again if she likes it.
> >

> They charge so much for those itty bitty bottles, so IMO it's better
> to buy a pint and make margaritas with the leftovers. Sounds like
> she's having guests, so surely at least one of them won't turn it
> down.

actually she is just doing food experiments for a friend on the right coast who
is having a munch and mingle who wanted finger food suggestions
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" > wrote:

>>> Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may
>>> contain hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of
>>> tequila. She doesn't drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know
>>> anyone that drinks tequila so she's wondering what might (be easier
>>> to) substitute.

>> What everyone is trying to say is that there is no flavor substitute
>> for tequila Buy a bottle and save it to use for something else or
>> give it away.

> That doesn't mean another liquor couldn't be substituted - would taste
> different but still might taste OK as long as authenticity isn't
> required. Vodka would give you the alcohol without the flavor, and who
> knows, maybe vermouth would OK.

If alcoholism is in the mix anywhree make it without the tequila. Don't
bother with a substitute just remove that ingredient.

If the reason for not drinking is some other form of aversion to alcohol
I have seen concentrated runm, bourbon and brandy flavoring in the
baking section at the better grocery stores.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Doug Freyburger >
wrote:

> Steve Freides wrote:
> > Janet Bostwick wrote:

> >> What everyone is trying to say is that there is no flavor substitute
> >> for tequila Buy a bottle and save it to use for something else or
> >> give it away.

> > That doesn't mean another liquor couldn't be substituted - would taste
> > different but still might taste OK as long as authenticity isn't
> > required. Vodka would give you the alcohol without the flavor, and who
> > knows, maybe vermouth would OK.

> If alcoholism is in the mix anywhree make it without the tequila. Don't
> bother with a substitute just remove that ingredient.

It's just that when she tries a new recipe, she likes to stick to the ingredient
list as much as possible

> If the reason for not drinking is some other form of aversion to alcohol
> I have seen concentrated runm, bourbon and brandy flavoring in the
> baking section at the better grocery stores.

I've seen that, but not for tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 21:48:50 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may
>>> contain hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of
>>> tequila. She doesn't drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know
>>> anyone that drinks tequila so she's wondering what might (be easier
>>> to) substitute.

>> What everyone is trying to say is that there is no flavor substitute
>> for tequila Buy a bottle and save it to use for something else or
>> give it away.
>> Janet US

> That doesn't mean another liquor couldn't be substituted - would taste
> different but still might taste OK as long as authenticity isn't
> required. Vodka would give you the alcohol without the flavor, and who
> knows, maybe vermouth would OK.
>
> NB: I haven't a clue, of course, just rambling. I think my choice would
> be to pick a different recipe altogether.
>
> -S-

I think vodka with some motor oil would taste about right.

Greg
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds View Post
Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.
Instead of the simple syrup, use agave nectar. Tequila's alcohol is fermented agave nectar. You'll get that same tinge of tequila flavor. The color will be beautiful from the jamaica (hibiscus).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 11, 9:48*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
> wrote:
> Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
> hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
> drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
> she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

Why don't you buy a bottle and give her 4 oz? Learn to make margaritas
-- the slushee kind are very refresing in hot weather.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
> hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
> drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
> she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

Rum should work. It won't be the same, but it actually might be more
authentic.

Is it the the dried hibiscus flowers/pods you get at an ethnic store in
a bag labeled "flor de jamaica"? You have to actually bring those to a
full boil briefly and then cover and let them soak to extract much of
the goodness, don't just steep in hot water like tea. And it stains
worse than red Koolaid so be careful. I bought a bottle of jamaica
juice concentrate once and it was disappointing -- it just tasted
"red". It's supposed to be sour like cranberry juice.

HTH,
Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> If alcoholism is in the mix anywhree make it without the tequila. Don't
>> bother with a substitute just remove that ingredient.

> It's just that when she tries a new recipe, she likes to stick to the ingredient
> list as much as possible

Then I don't get why she would not be willing to get the smallest size
bottle that works.

>> If the reason for not drinking is some other form of aversion to alcohol
>> I have seen concentrated runm, bourbon and brandy flavoring in the
>> baking section at the better grocery stores.

> I've seen that, but not for tequila

Exactly. If she's just not going to get any booze and there isn't a
flavor extract available for tequila then it's time to consider flavor
extracts that are not direct substitutes but that might serve a similar
function.

You could get some agave nectar, develop a sugar refining method that
does not take a large factory, discard the sugar, keep the by product.
it would be like molasses or golden syrup but like tequila. A vast
amount of work so impractical even though it's theoretically possible.

Or take agave nectar. Brew it into mead. Boil off the alcohol wasting
it. The result would be rather like an alcohol free tequila flavoring
extract. Waste of perfectly good mead-like-stuff but it could be done
at home in the kitchen not requiring a refinement factory. Folks will
note this sounds an aweful lot like making tequila but using the other
material flow as the product. Don't use a still - It's illegal in a
lot of states without serious licensing and the result would be
homemade tequila which she doesn't appear to want.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 09:28:06 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Aug 11, 9:48*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
> wrote:
>> Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
>> hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
>> drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
>> she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

>Why don't you buy a bottle and give her 4 oz?

I'd buy her a whole liter and help her drink it, especially if she has
big tatas. LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFzoP3d-iCs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/13/2012 11:53 AM, zxcvbob wrote:

> Is it the the dried hibiscus flowers/pods you get at an ethnic store in
> a bag labeled "flor de jamaica"? You have to actually bring those to a
> full boil briefly and then cover and let them soak to extract much of
> the goodness, don't just steep in hot water like tea. And it stains
> worse than red Koolaid so be careful. I bought a bottle of jamaica
> juice concentrate once and it was disappointing -- it just tasted
> "red". It's supposed to be sour like cranberry juice.
>
> HTH,
> Bob

You are right, it is supposed to be tart. There is a martini you can
make with agua de jamaica, lime juice, simple syrup and gin or vodka.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 12, 2012 1:13:56 PM UTC-5, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 21:48:50 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
>
> > wrote:
>

> >Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain

> >hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't

> >drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so

> >she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

> What everyone is trying to say is that there is no flavor substitute
>
> for tequila Buy a bottle and save it to use for something else or
>
> give it away.

And make sure it says, "100% agave," on the label.

> Janet US

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> > What everyone is trying to say is that there is no flavor substitute
> > for tequila

> And make sure it says, "100% agave," on the label.

They adulterate tequila? Any brands you know of?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bryan > wrote:

> On Sunday, August 12, 2012 1:13:56 PM UTC-5, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 21:48:50 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> >
> > > wrote:
> >

> > >Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain

> > >hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She
> > >doesn't

> > >drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila
> > >so

> > >she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

> > What everyone is trying to say is that there is no flavor substitute
> >
> > for tequila Buy a bottle and save it to use for something else or
> >
> > give it away.

> And make sure it says, "100% agave," on the label.
> >
> > Janet US

> --Bryan

she finally bought a 750ml bottle at BevMo for about $12 but I didn't check the
label, although the store manager said it was all natural and his best seller

thanks to everyone for all the help

Tequila Robbie Hatley General 3 17-06-2006 04:03 AM
Tequila-lime shrimp (or other tequila recipes)? serene General Cooking 15 04-08-2005 01:59 AM
Tequila Help Marcus General 4 27-02-2005 05:02 AM
Tequila Help Marcus General 0 18-02-2005 02:34 AM
... about Tequila E.F. General 1 13-12-2003 04:28 AM