Substitute for Tequila

Old 12-08-2012, 05:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substitute for Tequila

Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

Probably best to use the real thing. Many liquor stores have a section of
small 2oz bottles (sample bottles aka airline bottles). I'm sure tequila
would be included. If not, tell her just to buy a pint. It won't cost very
much and she'll be able to make her recipe again if she likes it.

G.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/08/2012 5:51 PM, Gary wrote:
Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

Probably best to use the real thing. Many liquor stores have a section of
small 2oz bottles (sample bottles aka airline bottles). I'm sure tequila
would be included. If not, tell her just to buy a pint. It won't cost very
much and she'll be able to make her recipe again if she likes it.

G.

She could also buy the full sized bottle and donate the excess to a
grateful friend or relative!

Win-Win all round! ;-)

--

Krypsis
Old 12-08-2012, 05:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 03:51:32 -0400, Gary wrote:

Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

Probably best to use the real thing. Many liquor stores have a section of
small 2oz bottles (sample bottles aka airline bottles). I'm sure tequila
would be included. If not, tell her just to buy a pint. It won't cost very
much and she'll be able to make her recipe again if she likes it.

G.

Many liquor stores carry half pints too, but the smaller the size the
pricier per ounce. She'd be better off to buy a full size bottle and
save the rest, booze has a very long shelf life. And tequila is a
very good cooking ingredient, great for marinating meats (especially
fish) and maserating fresh fruits.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tequila-shrimp/
http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/s...te-recipe-5323
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...am-recipe.html
Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

Probably best to use the real thing. Many liquor stores have a section of
small 2oz bottles (sample bottles aka airline bottles). I'm sure tequila
would be included. If not, tell her just to buy a pint. It won't cost very
much and she'll be able to make her recipe again if she likes it.

They charge so much for those itty bitty bottles, so IMO it's better
to buy a pint and make margaritas with the leftovers. Sounds like
she's having guests, so surely at least one of them won't turn it
down.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 21:48:50 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

What everyone is trying to say is that there is no flavor substitute
for tequila Buy a bottle and save it to use for something else or
give it away.
Janet US
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may
contain hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of
tequila. She doesn't drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know
anyone that drinks tequila so she's wondering what might (be easier
to) substitute.

What everyone is trying to say is that there is no flavor substitute
for tequila Buy a bottle and save it to use for something else or
give it away.
Janet US

That doesn't mean another liquor couldn't be substituted - would taste
different but still might taste OK as long as authenticity isn't
required. Vodka would give you the alcohol without the flavor, and who
knows, maybe vermouth would OK.

NB: I haven't a clue, of course, just rambling. I think my choice would
be to pick a different recipe altogether.

-S-

Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , Gary wrote:

Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She
doesn't
drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila
so
she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

Probably best to use the real thing. Many liquor stores have a section of
small 2oz bottles (sample bottles aka airline bottles). I'm sure tequila
would be included. If not, tell her just to buy a pint. It won't cost very
much and she'll be able to make her recipe again if she likes it.

G.

yes, found one online last night. we go sometime this week to get some. they had
at least two brands of 50ml for $0,99
Old 12-08-2012, 08:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She
doesn't
drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila
so
she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

Probably best to use the real thing. Many liquor stores have a section of
small 2oz bottles (sample bottles aka airline bottles). I'm sure tequila
would be included. If not, tell her just to buy a pint. It won't cost very
much and she'll be able to make her recipe again if she likes it.

They charge so much for those itty bitty bottles, so IMO it's better
to buy a pint and make margaritas with the leftovers. Sounds like
she's having guests, so surely at least one of them won't turn it
down.

actually she is just doing food experiments for a friend on the right coast who
is having a munch and mingle who wanted finger food suggestions
Old 13-08-2012, 01:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
Janet Bostwick wrote:
"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may
contain hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of
tequila. She doesn't drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know
anyone that drinks tequila so she's wondering what might (be easier
to) substitute.

What everyone is trying to say is that there is no flavor substitute
for tequila Buy a bottle and save it to use for something else or
give it away.

That doesn't mean another liquor couldn't be substituted - would taste
different but still might taste OK as long as authenticity isn't
required. Vodka would give you the alcohol without the flavor, and who
knows, maybe vermouth would OK.

If alcoholism is in the mix anywhree make it without the tequila. Don't
bother with a substitute just remove that ingredient.

If the reason for not drinking is some other form of aversion to alcohol
I have seen concentrated runm, bourbon and brandy flavoring in the
baking section at the better grocery stores.
Old 13-08-2012, 03:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , Doug Freyburger
wrote:

Steve Freides wrote:
Janet Bostwick wrote:
"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may
contain hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of
tequila. She doesn't drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know
anyone that drinks tequila so she's wondering what might (be easier
to) substitute.

What everyone is trying to say is that there is no flavor substitute
for tequila Buy a bottle and save it to use for something else or
give it away.

That doesn't mean another liquor couldn't be substituted - would taste
different but still might taste OK as long as authenticity isn't
required. Vodka would give you the alcohol without the flavor, and who
knows, maybe vermouth would OK.

If alcoholism is in the mix anywhree make it without the tequila. Don't
bother with a substitute just remove that ingredient.

It's just that when she tries a new recipe, she likes to stick to the ingredient
list as much as possible

If the reason for not drinking is some other form of aversion to alcohol
I have seen concentrated runm, bourbon and brandy flavoring in the
baking section at the better grocery stores.

I've seen that, but not for tequila
Old 13-08-2012, 03:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I think vodka with some motor oil would taste about right.

Greg
Old 13-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds View Post
Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.
Instead of the simple syrup, use agave nectar. Tequila's alcohol is fermented agave nectar. You'll get that same tinge of tequila flavor. The color will be beautiful from the jamaica (hibiscus).
Old 13-08-2012, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 11, 9:48*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:
Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

Why don't you buy a bottle and give her 4 oz? Learn to make margaritas
-- the slushee kind are very refresing in hot weather.
Old 13-08-2012, 05:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

Rum should work. It won't be the same, but it actually might be more
authentic.

Is it the the dried hibiscus flowers/pods you get at an ethnic store in
a bag labeled "flor de jamaica"? You have to actually bring those to a
full boil briefly and then cover and let them soak to extract much of
the goodness, don't just steep in hot water like tea. And it stains
worse than red Koolaid so be careful. I bought a bottle of jamaica
juice concentrate once and it was disappointing -- it just tasted
"red". It's supposed to be sour like cranberry juice.

HTH,
Bob