Help - A & W seasoning ?

Old 30-10-2004, 09:27 PM
cook
Usenet poster

Default Help - A & W seasoning ?

A&W uses a seasoning when making mama and papa burgers. It is a redish
(cayenne/paprika) colored seasoning mixture and is quite salty. Would
anyone know what goes into it? What spices it contains? TIA.
Old 31-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Gal Called J.J.
Usenet poster

One time on Usenet, cook said:

A&W uses a seasoning when making mama and papa burgers. It is a redish
(cayenne/paprika) colored seasoning mixture and is quite salty. Would
anyone know what goes into it? What spices it contains? TIA.

This is the second time you've asked this -- was the last answer not
sufficient? Here it is again, in case you missed it:

One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin' said:
In article , Ronald Leger
wrote:

A&W uses a seasoning when making mama and papa burgers. It is a
redish (cayenne) colored mixture and quite salty. Would anyone
know the composition of this seasoning mixture?

Based on your description, it sounds an awful lot like Lawry's
Seasoned Salt. (Have you asked them what they're using?)

A friend of mine cooked at A&W when we were in high school (1980's), and

IIRC, she told me once that it was either Johnny's or Lawry's:

http://www.johnnysfinefoods.com/shop/product.
aspx?categoryID=2&productSKU=10000

http://www.lawrys.com/webProductDetail.jsp

J.J. in repeat mode...
Old 26-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook View Post
A&W uses a seasoning when making mama and papa burgers. It is a redish
(cayenne/paprika) colored seasoning mixture and is quite salty. Would
anyone know what goes into it? What spices it contains? TIA.

Yes in the early 70's my sister Marie Keller was an assistant manager in a Main St. and Inkster Ave location in Winnipeg Manitoba and told us the staff at that time before closing used to have to pre-mix the spices themselves. In the 70's they used Paprika, Season Salt and Oregano with Lipton onion soup mix until it got too expensive and they omitted the soup mix. Try these spices and experiment with the amounts but my now dead mother used to make A&W burger clones that tasted exactly like the restaurants. I laugh my head off when people try to publish online these copy cat recipes for their burgers without the spice mix and they rave how they are almost like the real thing so my advice is make those clones and then add the spices I listed experimenting with the amounts and enjoy the burgers. You can also re-add the soup mix and feed it to an older person that ordered from that era and ask if they taste EXACTLY like the ones from the 70's, They probably will realize how much better they were in the 70's Lol.