Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best non stick technology

On 2/21/2012 11:10 AM, Bryan wrote:
> You need to tell them ahead of time that if they ever attempt to clean
> your cast iron pan, then you will take something that is dear to them,
> and intentionally damage it.
>
> --Bryan

This is really great advice and a perfect excuse to get a large
semi-auto handgun of large caliber!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:15:31 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 2/21/2012 11:10 AM, Bryan wrote:
> > You need to tell them ahead of time that if they ever attempt to clean
> > your cast iron pan, then you will take something that is dear to them,
> > and intentionally damage it.
> >
> > --Bryan

> This is really great advice and a perfect excuse to get a large
> semi-auto handgun of large caliber!

I guess you must have seen that video of what the father did to his
DD's computer after hacking into her FB account and reading her whine
to her friends about what a tough life she has at home. It was
typical teenaged complaining out of parents hearing, but he just *had*
to hack in and then get mad. If he'd been smart he wouldn't have said
anything because FB would have been a good way to checkup on what
she's really doing in RL. He only taught her to be more private and
sneaky.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2012 12:43 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:15:31 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2/21/2012 11:10 AM, Bryan wrote:
>>> You need to tell them ahead of time that if they ever attempt to clean
>>> your cast iron pan, then you will take something that is dear to them,
>>> and intentionally damage it.
>>>
>>> --Bryan

>> This is really great advice and a perfect excuse to get a large
>> semi-auto handgun of large caliber!

> I guess you must have seen that video of what the father did to his
> DD's computer after hacking into her FB account and reading her whine
> to her friends about what a tough life she has at home. It was
> typical teenaged complaining out of parents hearing, but he just *had*
> to hack in and then get mad. If he'd been smart he wouldn't have said
> anything because FB would have been a good way to checkup on what
> she's really doing in RL. He only taught her to be more private and
> sneaky.

This is a good point. Looks like he just went and showed his hand when
he didn't have to. I guess some folks are just way too impulsive! Dudes
that act on impulse with big guns are always viral-video material.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:39:21 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>> > I don't use non-stick skillets.
>> >
>> > You want ice-skating food?
>> > Use a well seasoned cast iron skillet or....
>> > use a plain stainless steel skillet and melt butter on it at low temp
>> > before adding the egg.

>> +1 - our 12" stainless and our cast iron, about the same size, get used
>> more than any other pan/skillet in our kitchen. They're both great.
>>
>> Fat is _good_ for you - make your eggs swimming in olive oil.

>None of my eggs will ever combine with olive oil

After reading about it here I tried it years ago. Not so good.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:53:00 -1000, dsi1 >
wrote:

> This is a good point. Looks like he just went and showed his hand when
> he didn't have to. I guess some folks are just way too impulsive! Dudes
> that act on impulse with big guns are always viral-video material.

Yeah. Basically, he had a temper tantrum and shot her laptop just
because she whined to her friends over how unfair things (her chores)
were at home. It was typical teenaged stuff, but he showed how
immature and violent he was in his YouTubed "reply". What an idiot!
If anything ever happens to her, he'll be the first suspect because he
has proven that he has a short temper and doesn't hesitate to use a
gun when angered.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2012 9:39 AM, Gary wrote:
> Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>>> I don't use non-stick skillets.
>>>
>>> You want ice-skating food?
>>> Use a well seasoned cast iron skillet or....
>>> use a plain stainless steel skillet and melt butter on it at low temp
>>> before adding the egg.

>> +1 - our 12" stainless and our cast iron, about the same size, get used
>> more than any other pan/skillet in our kitchen. They're both great.
>>
>> Fat is _good_ for you - make your eggs swimming in olive oil.

> None of my eggs will ever combine with olive oil
>
> Gary

I've tried deep frying eggs before. The technique is to get a pan with
about a 1/4" of oil fairly hot and drop an egg into it. Tilt the pan so
the oil forms a pool on the side and swiftly, with a large spoon, flip
the egg over and try to get it into a neat package. The idea is to get
an egg with a crispy exterior and semi-soft interior. I never was able
to get very good results but they sure were greasy enough!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2012 1:12 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:53:00 -1000, >
> wrote:
>>
>> This is a good point. Looks like he just went and showed his hand when
>> he didn't have to. I guess some folks are just way too impulsive! Dudes
>> that act on impulse with big guns are always viral-video material.

> Yeah. Basically, he had a temper tantrum and shot her laptop just
> because she whined to her friends over how unfair things (her chores)
> were at home. It was typical teenaged stuff, but he showed how
> immature and violent he was in his YouTubed "reply". What an idiot!
> If anything ever happens to her, he'll be the first suspect because he
> has proven that he has a short temper and doesn't hesitate to use a
> gun when angered.

I'd hate to be a kid saddled with a psycho-dad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:

>On 2/21/2012 1:12 PM, sf wrote:

>> Yeah. Basically, he had a temper tantrum and shot her laptop just
>> because she whined to her friends over how unfair things (her chores)
>> were at home. It was typical teenaged stuff, but he showed how
>> immature and violent he was in his YouTubed "reply". What an idiot!
>> If anything ever happens to her, he'll be the first suspect because he
>> has proven that he has a short temper and doesn't hesitate to use a
>> gun when angered.

>I'd hate to be a kid saddled with a psycho-dad.

Probably, the dad was trying to eliminate evidence of illicit
web-browsing he had done on the laptop.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2012 1:29 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2/21/2012 1:12 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Yeah. Basically, he had a temper tantrum and shot her laptop just
>>> because she whined to her friends over how unfair things (her chores)
>>> were at home. It was typical teenaged stuff, but he showed how
>>> immature and violent he was in his YouTubed "reply". What an idiot!
>>> If anything ever happens to her, he'll be the first suspect because he
>>> has proven that he has a short temper and doesn't hesitate to use a
>>> gun when angered.

>> I'd hate to be a kid saddled with a psycho-dad.

> Probably, the dad was trying to eliminate evidence of illicit
> web-browsing he had done on the laptop.

The old diversion technique, eh? In that case, the guy is brilliant! Of
course, still psycho too.

> Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:39:21 -0500, Gary wrote:
> >None of my eggs will ever combine with olive oil

> After reading about it here I tried it years ago. Not so good.

No kidding. Years ago, I read someone that made scrambled eggs using olive
oil. Oh dear lord! NOT ME!

Olive oil is ok in it's place, and I realize that everyone's taste is
different, but not with eggs for me. arrghhh!

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On 2/21/2012 9:39 AM, Gary wrote:
> > Steve Freides wrote:

> >> +1 - our 12" stainless and our cast iron, about the same size, get used
> >> more than any other pan/skillet in our kitchen. They're both great.
> >>
> >> Fat is _good_ for you - make your eggs swimming in olive oil.

> > None of my eggs will ever combine with olive oil
> >
> > Gary

> I've tried deep frying eggs before. The technique is to get a pan with
> about a 1/4" of oil fairly hot and drop an egg into it. Tilt the pan so
> the oil forms a pool on the side and swiftly, with a large spoon, flip
> the egg over and try to get it into a neat package. The idea is to get
> an egg with a crispy exterior and semi-soft interior. I never was able
> to get very good results but they sure were greasy enough!

hmmmm...interesting experiment but I hope you didn't use olive oil for that.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2012 1:51 PM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

>>> None of my eggs will ever combine with olive oil
>>>
>>> Gary

>> I've tried deep frying eggs before. The technique is to get a pan with
>> about a 1/4" of oil fairly hot and drop an egg into it. Tilt the pan so
>> the oil forms a pool on the side and swiftly, with a large spoon, flip
>> the egg over and try to get it into a neat package. The idea is to get
>> an egg with a crispy exterior and semi-soft interior. I never was able
>> to get very good results but they sure were greasy enough!

> hmmmm...interesting experiment but I hope you didn't use olive oil for that.
>
> Gary

My understanding is that Julia Child loved eggs prepared this way. Olive
oil tastes unpleasant to me so you have no cause for concern. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" wrote:

> On 21-Feb-2012, Gary > wrote:
>
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > > I've tried deep frying eggs before. The technique is to get a pan with
> > > about a 1/4" of oil fairly hot and drop an egg into it. Tilt the pan so
> > > the oil forms a pool on the side and swiftly, with a large spoon, flip
> > > the egg over and try to get it into a neat package. The idea is to get
> > > an egg with a crispy exterior and semi-soft interior. I never was able
> > > to get very good results but they sure were greasy enough!

> > hmmmm...interesting experiment but I hope you didn't use olive oil for
> > that.
> >
> > Gary

> I've done it with bacon fat; delicious.

Oh yeah! Now you're talkin! ;-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:12:34 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:53:00 -1000, dsi1 >
>wrote:
>>
>> This is a good point. Looks like he just went and showed his hand when
>> he didn't have to. I guess some folks are just way too impulsive! Dudes
>> that act on impulse with big guns are always viral-video material.

>Yeah. Basically, he had a temper tantrum and shot her laptop just
>because she whined to her friends over how unfair things (her chores)
>were at home. It was typical teenaged stuff, but he showed how
>immature and violent he was in his YouTubed "reply". What an idiot!
>If anything ever happens to her, he'll be the first suspect because he
>has proven that he has a short temper and doesn't hesitate to use a
>gun when angered.

Have you watched his 8 minute video? No tantrum. He had told her
that if she misused 'her' laptop again he would put a bullet through
it. She did-- and he did.

On the first day it appeared my son was telling me about it and I
reacted to it the way the media had presented it. I felt exactly as
you sound.

Then I watched it. And sided with the dad.

I have even more respect for him since he said that the 'punishment
fit the crime' as he had originally intended it-- but since it has
gone viral it is a more than he had intended. [but she's still
grounded]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:

>I mostly wait for the products to come to "Linens and Things"

That will be a long wait. A VERRRRY long wait, in fact.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:12:34 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:53:00 -1000, dsi1 >
>>wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a good point. Looks like he just went and showed his hand when
>>> he didn't have to. I guess some folks are just way too impulsive! Dudes
>>> that act on impulse with big guns are always viral-video material.

>>Yeah. Basically, he had a temper tantrum and shot her laptop just
>>because she whined to her friends over how unfair things (her chores)
>>were at home. It was typical teenaged stuff, but he showed how
>>immature and violent he was in his YouTubed "reply". What an idiot!
>>If anything ever happens to her, he'll be the first suspect because he
>>has proven that he has a short temper and doesn't hesitate to use a
>>gun when angered.

>Have you watched his 8 minute video?

Meant to include the link-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1ujzRidmU

> No tantrum. He had told her
>that if she misused 'her' laptop again he would put a bullet through
>it. She did-- and he did.
>
>On the first day it appeared my son was telling me about it and I
>reacted to it the way the media had presented it. I felt exactly as
>you sound.
>
>Then I watched it. And sided with the dad.
>
>I have even more respect for him since he said that the 'punishment
>fit the crime' as he had originally intended it-- but since it has
>gone viral it is a more than he had intended. [but she's still
>grounded]
>
>Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 19:15:02 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:12:34 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:53:00 -1000, dsi1 >
> >wrote:
> >>
> >> This is a good point. Looks like he just went and showed his hand when
> >> he didn't have to. I guess some folks are just way too impulsive! Dudes
> >> that act on impulse with big guns are always viral-video material.

> >Yeah. Basically, he had a temper tantrum and shot her laptop just
> >because she whined to her friends over how unfair things (her chores)
> >were at home. It was typical teenaged stuff, but he showed how
> >immature and violent he was in his YouTubed "reply". What an idiot!
> >If anything ever happens to her, he'll be the first suspect because he
> >has proven that he has a short temper and doesn't hesitate to use a
> >gun when angered.

> Have you watched his 8 minute video? No tantrum. He had told her
> that if she misused 'her' laptop again he would put a bullet through
> it. She did-- and he did.
>
> On the first day it appeared my son was telling me about it and I
> reacted to it the way the media had presented it. I felt exactly as
> you sound.
>
> Then I watched it. And sided with the dad.

I watched it and thought he was the reason she was that way. An apple
doesn't fall far from the tree.

> I have even more respect for him since he said that the 'punishment
> fit the crime' as he had originally intended it-- but since it has
> gone viral it is a more than he had intended. [but she's still
> grounded]

I've already said what I think.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 7:52*am, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> Gary wrote:
> > Bryan wrote:

> >> My eggs swim in pecan oil. *Similar in healthfulness to olive, but I
> >> like the taste better with eggs.

> > I've never tried pecan oil but it doesn't sound bad. *I use canola
> > oil and I don't notice any offensive taste that some others here do.
> > To me, it's a fairly neutral taste.

> I use non-EV olive oil - it doesn't have much of an olive taste to it at
> all.

Extra light olive oil has one advantage over pecan oil, price, but if
a gallon lasts me 6-9 months, that's only about $5 a month, versus $3
or so for the olive. The biggest downside is the space it takes up in
the fridge. I have probably bought my last peanut oil though. I'm
going to start frying fish in extra light olive. The difference
between throwing out 50 cents worth of oil instead of a 75 cents worth
isn't that much of a savings, and the leftover olive oil, well, I
might not end up throwing that out, but instead, throwing it down.

> -S-

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 9:17*am, Bryan > wrote:
>*I'm
> going to start frying fish in extra light olive. *The difference
> between throwing out 50 cents worth of oil instead of a 75 cents worth
> isn't that much of a savings, and the leftover olive oil, well, I
> might not end up throwing that out, but instead, throwing it down.

Ewwww! Used olive oil in which fish was fried, and you're going to
DRINK IT??!!

Pure white trash, Bryan!! Up there with Weenie Water Gravy on Brain
Sandwiches!!

A gourmand you are NOT!

;-)

(I dunno, maybe it may not be so bad! I know my chocolate covered
bacon was YUM!)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The secret is benign neglect as much as anything else. Read how I do it at http://users.erols.com/jyavins/season.htm. What oil(s) do you use?

Jerry
--
"I view the progress of science as being the slow erosion of the
tendency to dichotomize." Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 4:31*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Feb 20, 8:59*am, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > > I've been seeing an informercial about a non stick brand of cookware
> > > that is called Green Pan or something like it.
> > > The interior of the cookware is green. * It looks to be well built,
> > > Can be used in the oven, which is good, and the
> > > surface is a ceramic rather than a teflon type non stick.

> > > I'd be curious to know if anyone has tried that particular brand and
> > > how it worked out.

> > Did you check out their reviews on HSN?

> Yes, I did....and from what I can gather, the people who had bad
> results did not bother to read the instructions that came with the
> cookware. * *I saw reviews where those who did said they loved it and
> the people who had problems were idiots for not finding out how the
> cookware worked in the first place.

The reviewed pans are undoubtedly better than what's also available
for "19.99...but wait..." stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I cook hamburgers hot and ggs cooler in the same non-stick cast iron. It's how you deal with it between uses that makes it work. After the burger, scrape up whatever sticks with the turner. If you need to, use a stainless or bronze pad with soapy water, but avoid regular steel wool because that will take the seasoning (i.e., hardened oxidized oil) off or at least thin it. When the pan is clean, heat in on a burner, wipe it down with a thin film of oil ( for types see http://users.erols.com/jyavins/season.htm) and when the oil gets an orange-peel look, wipe it again and let it cool. The wiping paper will come up black. That's iron oxide combined in the oil. The oil-oxide film is the non-stick finish. Tou can only get that on a surface capable of rusting, but the film protects against rusting.

Jerry
--
"I view the progress of science as being the slow erosion of the
tendency to dichotomize." Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 21, 12:35*pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> On 21-Feb-2012, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <33388520.9.1329774409677.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@ynel5>,
> > *mkr5000 > wrote:

> > > I think my problem with cast iron is that my favorite thing to do with
> > > them
> > > (especially my small one) is fry hamburgers and do it HOT.

> > > To me, it's the best hamburger you can eat, but I always end up with a
> > > bit of
> > > "beef residue". ?

> > > I suppose I should turn down the heat and just walk away till the
> > > skillet is
> > > ready at a lower temperature.

> > Mike, how are you cleaning your cast iron pan after you've cooked your
> > burgers in it? *I use water only, no soap. *If I have bits that don't
> > wipe off with a paper towel, I'll use a metal spatula to scrape. *Then I
> > scour with salt and a paper towel. *Actually, I don't often use even
> > water on it, just salt and a paper towel. *I use a bit of fat in both
> > the skillet and on the griddle (pancakes) and I don't need my egg
> > skating around like Dorothy Hamill as long as I can get it out of the
> > skillet without the yolk breaking. *I can. *YMMV.
> > --
> > Barb,

> Seems a good place to throw in my 2 cents worth. *The "beef residue" is the
> same thing we call fond in other situations and I treat it that way. *To get
> that great tasting fond into gravies and such we add liquid, bring it to a
> simmer and scrape at the bottom with a suitable utensile. *To clean heavy
> "residue" from my cast iron pan, I add water, bring to a simmer and scrape
> at the bottom with a wooden spoon - wooden because I don't want to damage
> the seasoned surface. *Pour off the water, place over a medium-low burner
> until dry; wipe with a light coat of oil and I'm done.
>
> For light "residue" *I use kosher salt and a paper towel or soft-bristle
> brush. *For a bit more stubborn light "residue" I follow up the salt routine
> with cold water and the soft-bristle brush.
>
> But, 99% of the time, a quick wipe with a paper towel, maybe a little kosher
> salt, and its clean.
> --

Seems to me, someone here reported burying a cast iron pan in the
ground for the winter. Come Spring, clean as new, (Feast of the
Microbes), so why do you suppose that person wanted to lose that
'residue'?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

What do you mean by seasoned? What I call seasoning develops only on rustable iron.

Jerry
--
"I view the progress of science as being the slow erosion of the
tendency to dichotomize." Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 11:34*am, Jerry Avins > wrote:
> What do you mean by seasoned? What I call seasoning develops only on rustable iron.
>
> Jerry
> --
> "I view the progress of science as being the slow erosion of the
> * tendency to dichotomize." * * * * * * * * * Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.

Now now Jerry, don't enflame the beast!

Uh oh! Too late! Wait for it!! C'mon Sheldon, tell Jerry all about how
you were seasoning SS before SS was even invented, and how no one
knows how to season SS anymore, like you do! ;-)

;-)

John Kuthe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I haven't tried any of the ceramic pans being touted. If they work as well as claimed, they're impressive. On the other hand, what I have works well for me, so I'm not about to spend much. I flip eggs over without a turner, but at least one ceramic pan claims you can do that with a slice of cheese.

Jerry
--
"I view the progress of science as being the slow erosion of the
tendency to dichotomize." Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:12:34 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:53:00 -1000, dsi1 >
>>wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a good point. Looks like he just went and showed his hand when
>>> he didn't have to. I guess some folks are just way too impulsive! Dudes
>>> that act on impulse with big guns are always viral-video material.

>>Yeah. Basically, he had a temper tantrum and shot her laptop just
>>because she whined to her friends over how unfair things (her chores)
>>were at home. It was typical teenaged stuff, but he showed how
>>immature and violent he was in his YouTubed "reply". What an idiot!
>>If anything ever happens to her, he'll be the first suspect because he
>>has proven that he has a short temper and doesn't hesitate to use a
>>gun when angered.

>Have you watched his 8 minute video? No tantrum. He had told her
>that if she misused 'her' laptop again he would put a bullet through
>it. She did-- and he did.
>
>On the first day it appeared my son was telling me about it and I
>reacted to it the way the media had presented it. I felt exactly as
>you sound.
>
>Then I watched it. And sided with the dad.
>
>I have even more respect for him since he said that the 'punishment
>fit the crime' as he had originally intended it-- but since it has
>gone viral it is a more than he had intended. [but she's still
>grounded]

I thought it was great myself. The little snot thought she was being
cute at the expense of her parents. If you're going to run with the
big dogs you better be able to lift your leg high. She got put in her
place as a puppy. Ten years from now she might get it. <hopefully>

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> Extra light olive oil has one advantage over pecan oil, price, but if
> a gallon lasts me 6-9 months, that's only about $5 a month, versus $3
> or so for the olive. The biggest downside is the space it takes up in
> the fridge. I have probably bought my last peanut oil though. I'm
> going to start frying fish in extra light olive. The difference
> between throwing out 50 cents worth of oil instead of a 75 cents worth
> isn't that much of a savings, and the leftover olive oil, well, I
> might not end up throwing that out, but instead, throwing it down.

You refrigerate olive oil? My sister, who lives in an area where they
grow the stuff, buys a year's worth at a time and just keeps it in the
container it came in at room temperature.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 1:34*pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
> > Extra light olive oil has one advantage over pecan oil, price, but if
> > a gallon lasts me 6-9 months, that's only about $5 a month, versus $3
> > or so for the olive. *The biggest downside is the space it takes up in
> > the fridge. *I have probably bought my last peanut oil though. *I'm
> > going to start frying fish in extra light olive. *The difference
> > between throwing out 50 cents worth of oil instead of a 75 cents worth
> > isn't that much of a savings, and the leftover olive oil, well, I
> > might not end up throwing that out, but instead, throwing it down.

> You refrigerate olive oil? *My sister, who lives in an area where they
> grow the stuff, buys a year's worth at a time and just keeps it in the
> container it came in at room temperature.

All fats that are not fully saturated go rancid, and it's not like
pregancy. Fats can be a tiny bit rancid. It's a matter of how rancid
is acceptable. Your sister's oil is absolutely somewhat rancid from
over a year at room temp, exposed to oxygen. The only oil I know of
that that I'd store for over a year at room temp is MCT oil. Rancid
fat is bad.

> -S-

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 2:52*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Feb 22, 1:34*pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>
> > Bryan wrote:
> > > Extra light olive oil has one advantage over pecan oil, price, but if
> > > a gallon lasts me 6-9 months, that's only about $5 a month, versus $3
> > > or so for the olive. *The biggest downside is the space it takes up in
> > > the fridge. *I have probably bought my last peanut oil though. *I'm
> > > going to start frying fish in extra light olive. *The difference
> > > between throwing out 50 cents worth of oil instead of a 75 cents worth
> > > isn't that much of a savings, and the leftover olive oil, well, I
> > > might not end up throwing that out, but instead, throwing it down.

> > You refrigerate olive oil? *My sister, who lives in an area where they
> > grow the stuff, buys a year's worth at a time and just keeps it in the
> > container it came in at room temperature.

> All fats that are not fully saturated go rancid, and it's not like
> pregancy. *Fats can be a tiny bit rancid. *It's a matter of how rancid
> is acceptable. *Your sister's oil is absolutely somewhat rancid from
> over a year at room temp, exposed to oxygen. *The only oil I know of
> that that I'd store for over a year at room temp is MCT oil. *Rancid
> fat is bad.

How do you know your precious Medium Chain Triglyceride (I just had to
expand that abbreviation since you never do!) oil can be stored a year
at room temp without going rancid? Because the company that sold it to
you said so?

BTW your obsession is showing again!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Feb 22, 11:34 am, Jerry Avins > wrote:
> > What do you mean by seasoned? What I call seasoning develops only on rustable iron.
> >
> > Jerry
> > --
> > "I view the progress of science as being the slow erosion of the
> > tendency to dichotomize." Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.

> Now now Jerry, don't enflame the beast!
>
> Uh oh! Too late! Wait for it!! C'mon Sheldon, tell Jerry all about how
> you were seasoning SS before SS was even invented, and how no one
> knows how to season SS anymore, like you do! ;-)

I have a seasoned SS pan and also one pyrex glass dish nicely seasoned. You
can do it, it just takes time.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> > > Bryan wrote:

> > All fats that are not fully saturated go rancid, and it's not like
> > pregancy. Fats can be a tiny bit rancid. It's a matter of how rancid
> > is acceptable. Your sister's oil is absolutely somewhat rancid from
> > over a year at room temp, exposed to oxygen. The only oil I know of
> > that that I'd store for over a year at room temp is MCT oil. Rancid
> > fat is bad.

> How do you know your precious Medium Chain Triglyceride (I just had to
> expand that abbreviation since you never do!) oil can be stored a year
> at room temp without going rancid? Because the company that sold it to
> you said so?
>
> BTW your obsession is showing again!

He used to be your good friend, John. Be nice. :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2012 12:02 PM, Gary wrote:

>>> All fats that are not fully saturated go rancid, and it's not like
>>> pregancy. Fats can be a tiny bit rancid. It's a matter of how rancid
>>> is acceptable. Your sister's oil is absolutely somewhat rancid from
>>> over a year at room temp, exposed to oxygen. The only oil I know of
>>> that that I'd store for over a year at room temp is MCT oil. Rancid
>>> fat is bad.

>> How do you know your precious Medium Chain Triglyceride (I just had to
>> expand that abbreviation since you never do!) oil can be stored a year
>> at room temp without going rancid? Because the company that sold it to
>> you said so?
>>
>> BTW your obsession is showing again!

> He used to be your good friend, John. Be nice. :-D

OTOH, if somebody fed me when I was homeless, I would be eternally
grateful and loyal to that person no matter what. Guess I'm just
old-fashioned.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 4:02*pm, Gary > wrote:

> > > All fats that are not fully saturated go rancid, and it's not like
> > > pregancy. *Fats can be a tiny bit rancid. *It's a matter of how rancid
> > > is acceptable. *Your sister's oil is absolutely somewhat rancid from
> > > over a year at room temp, exposed to oxygen. *The only oil I know of
> > > that that I'd store for over a year at room temp is MCT oil. *Rancid
> > > fat is bad.

> > How do you know your precious Medium Chain Triglyceride (I just had to
> > expand that abbreviation since you never do!) oil can be stored a year
> > at room temp without going rancid? Because the company that sold it to
> > you said so?

> > BTW your obsession is showing again!

> He used to be your good friend, John. Be nice. *:-D

He's a loser and a fool. He thinks he knows more about biology than
he really does. He likes to drop medical terms, but no one in St.
Louis will give him even the worst nursing jobs, taking care of old
men. It's pathetic. H act alls arrogant, but has zero to be arrogant
about. I guess he's lost his "childlike" curiosity because he could
have found out the answer for himself pretty easily, but that wouldn't
have allowed him to accuse me of being a gullible fool.

MCT oil contains only the saturated fats, capric and caprylic acids,
on glucose backbones. "Saturated fats are resistant to oxidation and
do not become rancid at room temperature."
source-- http://www.iscid.org/encyclopedia/Saturated_Fat

I guess putting other people down makes him feel like less of a loser
in comparison.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 4:31*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> > > How do you know your precious Medium Chain Triglyceride (I just had to
> > > expand that abbreviation since you never do!) oil can be stored a year
> > > at room temp without going rancid? Because the company that sold it to
> > > you said so?

> > > BTW your obsession is showing again!

> > He used to be your good friend, John. Be nice. *:-D

> He's a loser and a fool. *He thinks he knows more about biology than
> he really does. *He likes to drop medical terms, but no one in St.
> Louis will give him even the worst nursing jobs, taking care of old
> men. *It's pathetic. *H act alls arrogant, but has zero to be arrogant
> about. *I guess he's lost his "childlike" curiosity because he could
> have found out the answer for himself pretty easily, but that wouldn't
> have allowed him to accuse me of being a gullible fool.
>
> MCT oil contains only the saturated fats, capric and caprylic acids,
> on glucose backbones. *"Saturated fats are resistant to oxidation and
> do not become rancid at room temperature."
> * * *source--http://www.iscid.org/encyclopedia/Saturated_Fat
>
> I guess putting other people down makes him feel like less of a loser
> in comparison.
>
> --Bryan

Bryan, you are obsessing. It's gotten very ugly, especially with this
last post of yours. Very ugly! :-(

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 5:23*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Feb 22, 4:31*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> > > He used to be your good friend, John. Be nice. *:-D

> > He's a loser and a fool. *He thinks he knows more about biology than
> > he really does. *He likes to drop medical terms, but no one in St.
> > Louis will give him even the worst nursing jobs, taking care of old
> > men. *It's pathetic. *H act alls arrogant, but has zero to be arrogant
> > about. *I guess he's lost his "childlike" curiosity because he could
> > have found out the answer for himself pretty easily, but that wouldn't
> > have allowed him to accuse me of being a gullible fool.

> > MCT oil contains only the saturated fats, capric and caprylic acids,
> > on glucose backbones. *"Saturated fats are resistant to oxidation and
> > do not become rancid at room temperature."
> > * * *source--http://www.iscid.org/encyclopedia/Saturated_Fat

> > I guess putting other people down makes him feel like less of a loser
> > in comparison.

> > --Bryan

> Bryan, you are obsessing. It's gotten very ugly, especially with this
> last post of yours. Very ugly! :-(

It'll get uglier. Shit, at this point you can go **** yourself.
Being insulted by a loser like you would make a really nice person
just pity you, but I'm not a really nice person. You should go back
to "making the donuts" because that--unlike life sciences--is
something you're good at, and a shitty personality isn't as much of a
problem on the overnight shift.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 5:44*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Feb 22, 5:23*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > > He's a loser and a fool. *He thinks he knows more about biology than
> > > he really does. *He likes to drop medical terms, but no one in St.
> > > Louis will give him even the worst nursing jobs, taking care of old
> > > men. *It's pathetic. *H act alls arrogant, but has zero to be arrogant
> > > about. *I guess he's lost his "childlike" curiosity because he could
> > > have found out the answer for himself pretty easily, but that wouldn't
> > > have allowed him to accuse me of being a gullible fool.

> > > MCT oil contains only the saturated fats, capric and caprylic acids,
> > > on glucose backbones. *"Saturated fats are resistant to oxidation and
> > > do not become rancid at room temperature."
> > > * * *source--http://www.iscid.org/encyclopedia/Saturated_Fat

> > > I guess putting other people down makes him feel like less of a loser
> > > in comparison.

> > > --Bryan

> > Bryan, you are obsessing. It's gotten very ugly, especially with this
> > last post of yours. Very ugly! :-(

> It'll get uglier. *Shit, at this point you can go **** yourself.
> Being insulted by a loser like you would make a really nice person
> just pity you, but I'm not a really nice person. *You should go back
> to "making the donuts" because that--unlike life sciences--is
> something you're good at, and a shitty personality isn't as much of a
> problem on the overnight shift.
>

> > John Kuthe...

> --Bryan

No you are not Bryan.

And like your bumper sticker says "Mean People Suck!"

Goodbye.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 5:46*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Feb 22, 5:44*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> > > Bryan, you are obsessing. It's gotten very ugly, especially with this
> > > last post of yours. Very ugly! :-(

> > It'll get uglier. *Shit, at this point you can go **** yourself.
> > Being insulted by a loser like you would make a really nice person
> > just pity you, but I'm not a really nice person. *You should go back
> > to "making the donuts" because that--unlike life sciences--is
> > something you're good at, and a shitty personality isn't as much of a
> > problem on the overnight shift.

> > > John Kuthe...

> > --Bryan

> No you are not Bryan.
>
> And like your bumper sticker says "Mean People Suck!"

My wife's bumper sticker.

> Goodbye.

Does that mean you'll no longer feel the need to obsessively criticize
nearly every one of my posts?

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 6:08*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Feb 22, 5:46*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > > It'll get uglier. *Shit, at this point you can go **** yourself.
> > > Being insulted by a loser like you would make a really nice person
> > > just pity you, but I'm not a really nice person. *You should go back
> > > to "making the donuts" because that--unlike life sciences--is
> > > something you're good at, and a shitty personality isn't as much of a
> > > problem on the overnight shift.

> > > --Bryan

> > No you are not Bryan.

> > And like your bumper sticker says "Mean People Suck!"

> My wife's bumper sticker.
>

> > Goodbye.

> Does that mean you'll no longer feel the need to obsessively criticize
> nearly every one of my posts?

No, I will not relent on that, as long as you obsess. I am not doing
that to be mean. You *are* obsessing, it is a destructive
psychological condition as evidenced by it's effects on your life.
Like causing you to lash out as you did at me when I call you on it.
Others here have also made note of your obsessing over dietary fats,
etc. It is not just me.

The multiparagraph post I mentioned that I deleted without posting
basically talked about how are friendship began and was always based
on shared enjoyable activities. Fun if you will. You have ceased to be
fun for me, Bryan.

So in that our friendship is over. Goodbye.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > writes:

>>> How do you know your precious Medium Chain Triglyceride (I just had to
>>> expand that abbreviation since you never do!) oil can be stored a year
>>> at room temp without going rancid? Because the company that sold it to
>>> you said so?
>>>
>>> BTW your obsession is showing again!

>> He used to be your good friend, John. Be nice. :-D

> OTOH, if somebody fed me when I was homeless, I would be eternally
> grateful and loyal to that person no matter what. Guess I'm just
> old-fashioned.

Sounds more like you lack imagination. I can easily imagine a large
number of things that would break my loyalty even to somebody who had
helped me like that.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info