Farm Raised Trout?

Old 18-02-2012, 07:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Farm Raised Trout?

I was at the grocery store yesterday, and took a peek at the seafood
counter. I was surprised (not in a good way) to see farm raised trout.
They were almost white- kinda albino looking. They looked extremely
unappetizing! I do not buy farmed fish, but have never seen these
before. I guess they were white because of what they are fed?
Old 18-02-2012, 09:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 11:26:46 -0800 (PST), merryb
wrote:

I was at the grocery store yesterday, and took a peek at the seafood
counter. I was surprised (not in a good way) to see farm raised trout.
They were almost white- kinda albino looking. They looked extremely
unappetizing! I do not buy farmed fish, but have never seen these
before. I guess they were white because of what they are fed?

trout come in many different skin colors and meat colors.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...RM=I GRE#x0y0

I can't tell by what you have said what the problem was. I
have seen trout at the market that has been poorly handled, looked
mushy and were virtually eyeless. Not something that you would want
to buy. 75% of all trout sold in the nation come from farms in Idaho
that are located adjacent to the Snake River. These are generally
Rainbow Trout with white meat. What kind of trout are you used to
buying or getting?
Janet US
Old 18-02-2012, 09:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

trout come in many different skin colors and meat colors.http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=trout+picture...

I can't tell by what you have said what the problem was. *I
have seen trout at the market that has been poorly handled, looked
mushy and were virtually eyeless. *Not something that you would want
to buy. *75% of all trout sold in the nation come from farms in Idaho
that are located adjacent to the Snake River. *These are generally
Rainbow Trout with white meat. *What kind of trout are you used to
buying or getting?
Janet US

I've seen lots of different trout, and they were all brownish. Nothing
like these- I'd eat fish sticks before I ate those!!
Old 18-02-2012, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:44:59 -0800 (PST), merryb
wrote:

Trout is a fish I have never bought- usually it's halibut or salmon.

If you ever see steelhead trout (red fleshed rainbow trout that have
been at sea) - buy some, it's delicious!

Old 18-02-2012, 10:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Avoid "heads removed for your convenience" or so you can't see the eyes,
which should bulge out a little and be shiny.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Old 18-02-2012, 10:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I was at the grocery store yesterday, and took a peek at the seafood
counter. I was surprised (not in a good way) to see farm raised trout.
They were almost white- kinda albino looking. They looked extremely
unappetizing! I do not buy farmed fish, but have never seen these
before. I guess they were white because of what they are fed?

It could be worse, they could have fed the fish dyes to make the
colour 'right', as often done with farm raised salmon.
Old 18-02-2012, 11:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18/02/2012 2:26 PM, merryb wrote:
I was at the grocery store yesterday, and took a peek at the seafood
counter. I was surprised (not in a good way) to see farm raised trout.
They were almost white- kinda albino looking. They looked extremely
unappetizing! I do not buy farmed fish, but have never seen these
before. I guess they were white because of what they are fed?

I would be more surprised to see wild trout that farm raised. I buy it
once in a while and it is usually pretty good. There used to be a trout
farm about two miles north of my house. I once went there for trout.
The owner needed, dispatched and cleaned them and they were stuffed and
in the oven within about two hours.

FWIW.... I think trout tastes much better when coming from cold water
than warm. Warm water trout tends to have a muddy taste.

Old 18-02-2012, 11:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18/02/2012 5:44 PM, James Silverton wrote:

Avoid "heads removed for your convenience" or so you can't see the eyes,
which should bulge out a little and be shiny.

Some people don't want their food looking at them. Back in the late 60s
my mother used to get frozen Idaho rainbow trout and cook them up for
us. She had to remove the head from my father's trout because he was a
little squeamish about things like that.... and pink meat. My brothers
and I were always careful to slip the meat off the bones and leave the
heads intact and all pointing toward my father. I thought that our
efforts to get under his skin were all in vain because he never said
anything, but years later he told my wife about us doing it, and how he
could not react and let us win.

Old 19-02-2012, 12:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2012 6:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
On 18/02/2012 5:44 PM, James Silverton wrote:

Avoid "heads removed for your convenience" or so you can't see the eyes,
which should bulge out a little and be shiny.

Some people don't want their food looking at them. Back in the late 60s
my mother used to get frozen Idaho rainbow trout and cook them up for
us. She had to remove the head from my father's trout because he was a
little squeamish about things like that.... and pink meat. My brothers
and I were always careful to slip the meat off the bones and leave the
heads intact and all pointing toward my father. I thought that our
efforts to get under his skin were all in vain because he never said
anything, but years later he told my wife about us doing it, and how he
could not react and let us win.

You can always remove the heads and tails before serving. Also you can
remove the meat and serve just that after broiling.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Old 19-02-2012, 01:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

awwww... That's a sweet, touching story. Thanks for sharing.

Old 19-02-2012, 03:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:35:36 -0500, James Silverton
wrote:

You can always remove the heads and tails before serving. Also you can
remove the meat and serve just that after broiling.

I take them off before I cook the fish.

Old 19-02-2012, 08:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Trout is a fish I have never bought- usually it's halibut or salmon.

If you ever see steelhead trout (red fleshed rainbow trout that have
been at sea) - buy some, it's delicious!

Steelhead is my favorite fish. I've had other white trout as well that
I really liked. It's too bad fish prices are so much higher these
days. I wouldn't mind eating it a couple times a week.

Old 19-02-2012, 05:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 00:16:22 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Steelhead is my favorite fish. I've had other white trout as well that
I really liked. It's too bad fish prices are so much higher these
days. I wouldn't mind eating it a couple times a week.

Nothing is cheap anymore.

Old 19-02-2012, 05:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Trout is a fish I have never bought- usually it's halibut or salmon.

If you ever see steelhead trout (red fleshed rainbow trout that have
been at sea) - buy some, it's delicious!

It sure is.

I agree. Here Costco sells steelhead "salmon." This came up here
about a year ago and I did some googling. The sites all have
something a little different about it. This site words it in a simple
way if it's accurate.

From he

http://www.gosalmonfishing.com/salmo...-steelhead.php

Steelhead salmon (Oncorhynchus mykiss) are commonly known as trout,
but in fact they are a species of salmon native to the Pacific region.
Land locked steelheads are also known as rainbow trout; in fact that
is their common name. The term steelhead is used to differentiate
between those rainbows that stay in fresh water permanently and those
that go out to the ocean. Both rainbow and steelhead trout will return
to the place where they hatched in order to spawn; therefore,
steelheads are an anadromous species. Unlike their Pacific salmon
cousins, steelheads and rainbows can spawn numerous times before
dying.