Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mardi Gras

Next Tuesday, February 21, is Mardi Gras. I *had* been making plans for
the meal, but then we made dinner plans for that night without realizing
it was Mardi Gras. So I'll make a Lundi Gras dinner instead.

Anyone else cooking something special for Mardi Gras?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 17, 6:15*am, Bob Terwilliger >
wrote:
> Next Tuesday, February 21, is Mardi Gras. I *had* been making plans for
> the meal, but then we made dinner plans for that night without realizing
> it was Mardi Gras. So I'll make a Lundi Gras dinner instead.
>
> Anyone else cooking something special for Mardi Gras?
>
> Bob

Nope.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Next Tuesday, February 21, is Mardi Gras. I *had* been making plans for
> the meal, but then we made dinner plans for that night without realizing
> it was Mardi Gras. So I'll make a Lundi Gras dinner instead.
>
> Anyone else cooking something special for Mardi Gras?
>
> Bob

No, but whenever someone mentions mardi gras, I am always reminded of
a popeye cartoon where the hero was in NO at mardi gras. It was kind
of weird.
Anyone else remember that particular popeye cartoon? I must have been
around 6 or so when I saw it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

King cake -- I like the traditional, unfilled kind. Haydel's is the
best, but ours will be Publix.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

>King cake -- I like the traditional, unfilled kind. Haydel's is the
>best, but ours will be Publix.

For me Mardi Gras is all about gals flashing their hooters for beads.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/17/2012 6:15 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Next Tuesday, February 21, is Mardi Gras. I *had* been making plans for
> the meal, but then we made dinner plans for that night without realizing
> it was Mardi Gras. So I'll make a Lundi Gras dinner instead.
>
> Anyone else cooking something special for Mardi Gras?

It is my late dad's birthday. He loved N'Orleans when my parents took a
trip there several years ago. I might have to plan to take my mom out
to dinner that night. Thanks for the idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 17, 12:10*pm, " > wrote:

> On Feb 17, 6:15*am, Bob Terwilliger >
> wrote:
>
> > Next Tuesday, February 21, is Mardi Gras. I *had* been making plans for
> > the meal, but then we made dinner plans for that night without realizing
> > it was Mardi Gras. So I'll make a Lundi Gras dinner instead.

> > Anyone else cooking something special for Mardi Gras?

> > Bob

> Nope.

Me neither. Just another day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2012 9:08 AM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
> On Feb 17, 12:10 pm, > wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 17, 6:15 am, Bob >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Next Tuesday, February 21, is Mardi Gras. I *had* been making plans for
>>> the meal, but then we made dinner plans for that night without realizing
>>> it was Mardi Gras. So I'll make a Lundi Gras dinner instead.

>>> Anyone else cooking something special for Mardi Gras?

>>> Bob

>> Nope.

> Me neither. Just another day.

In my childhood we always had the traditional pancakes on Shrove
Tuesday. I remember them being more like Crepes Suzette; at least we ate
them with fresh orange juice and sugar.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2012 9:46 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 2/21/2012 9:08 AM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
>> On Feb 17, 12:10 pm, > wrote:

>>> Nope.

>> Me neither. Just another day.

> In my childhood we always had the traditional pancakes on Shrove
> Tuesday. I remember them being more like Crepes Suzette; at least we ate
> them with fresh orange juice and sugar.

I'll be making pancakes this evening, with apples and whipped cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 21, 8:46*am, James Silverton > wrote:

> On 2/21/2012 9:08 AM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
>

> > On Feb 17, 12:10 pm, > *wrote:

> >> Nope.

> > Me neither. *Just another day.

> In my childhood we always had the traditional pancakes on Shrove
> Tuesday. I remember them being more like Crepes Suzette; at least we ate
> them with fresh orange juice and sugar.
>

> Jim Silverton

I had to look up Shrove Tuesday. Being protestant Lent, Ash
Wednesday, nor Shrove Tuesday was or is observed because it's not
biblical.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 09:42:36 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
> wrote:

> On Feb 21, 8:46*am, James Silverton > wrote:
> >

> I had to look up Shrove Tuesday. Being protestant Lent, Ash
> Wednesday, nor Shrove Tuesday was or is observed because it's not
> biblical.

There was a church supper on Maundy Thursday at the Congregational
church of my childhood and I think it was sometime during lent that we
took our once a year communion. Maybe it was on Easter Sunday, I
forget. I only remember that we drank grape juice (which always
disappointed me, because I knew that Catholics got to drink wine), we
did it together as a group, bread was passed in a basket and there
were little glass holders built into the pews to hold the glasses when
they weren't being used for communion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2012 1:59 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 09:42:36 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
> > wrote:
>
>> On Feb 21, 8:46 am, James > wrote:
>>>

>> I had to look up Shrove Tuesday. Being protestant Lent, Ash
>> Wednesday, nor Shrove Tuesday was or is observed because it's not
>> biblical.

> There was a church supper on Maundy Thursday at the Congregational
> church of my childhood and I think it was sometime during lent that we
> took our once a year communion. Maybe it was on Easter Sunday, I
> forget. I only remember that we drank grape juice (which always
> disappointed me, because I knew that Catholics got to drink wine), we
> did it together as a group, bread was passed in a basket and there
> were little glass holders built into the pews to hold the glasses when
> they weren't being used for communion.

"Shrove Tuesday" is the traditional English name for the day called
"Mardi Gras" (fat Tuesday) and "Carneval" (goodbye to meat) in other
countries and is not exclusively Catholic. When I was a kid we called it
"Pancake Tuesday" anyway. I think a season of fasting has biblical roots
in the Old and New Testaments, not necessarily coincident with Lent. In
medieval times, Lent in some ways made a virtue of a necessity for many
people because the food was running low.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:

> I'll be making pancakes this evening, with apples and whipped cream.

Well! That certainly sounds pretty tasty. Especially if you make the
pancakes thin and roll it all up.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

>There was a church supper on Maundy Thursday at the Congregational
>church of my childhood and I think it was sometime during lent that we
>took our once a year communion. Maybe it was on Easter Sunday, I
>forget.

Some may think it strange but every time I see that Subject line I
visualize Miracle Bras.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2012 1:59 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 09:42:36 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
> > wrote:
>
>> On Feb 21, 8:46 am, James > wrote:
>>>

>> I had to look up Shrove Tuesday. Being protestant Lent, Ash
>> Wednesday, nor Shrove Tuesday was or is observed because it's not
>> biblical.

> There was a church supper on Maundy Thursday at the Congregational
> church of my childhood and I think it was sometime during lent that we
> took our once a year communion. Maybe it was on Easter Sunday, I
> forget. I only remember that we drank grape juice (which always
> disappointed me, because I knew that Catholics got to drink wine), we
> did it together as a group, bread was passed in a basket and there
> were little glass holders built into the pews to hold the glasses when
> they weren't being used for communion.

That's sounds just like the Congregational Church of my childhood in
Massachusetts. Maundy Thursday (meaning Holy Thursday) was the evening
service on the Thursday before Good Friday that commemorated the Last
Supper. It was a very solemn service with communion as you described.

Rusty in MD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
> >
> >There was a church supper on Maundy Thursday at the Congregational
> >church of my childhood and I think it was sometime during lent that we
> >took our once a year communion. Maybe it was on Easter Sunday, I
> >forget.

> Some may think it strange but every time I see that Subject line I
> visualize Miracle Bras.

Simple solution there. You're overdue for a steady girlfriend.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 21, 2:24*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
>
> >There was a church supper on Maundy Thursday at the Congregational
> >church of my childhood and I think it was sometime during lent that we
> >took our once a year communion. *Maybe it was on Easter Sunday, I
> >forget.

> Some may think it strange but every time I see that Subject line I
> visualize Miracle Bras.

You misquoted me. It was sf who posted about the church supper.

Mardi Gras Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 0 21-02-2012 01:15 PM
Mardi Gras YAY! TerryinDTW[_2_] General Cooking 2 15-04-2009 06:38 PM
Happy Mardi Gras! Ward Abbott Baking 0 19-02-2007 08:23 PM
Mardi Gras Day Dinner ms. tonya General Cooking 5 01-03-2006 03:15 AM
Mardi Gras Jambalaya Mix Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 14-01-2005 03:41 AM