Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Organizing the kitchen......the persistent hope

Here is a lovely article from one of my favorite Bloggers.....Gluten
Free Girl, on kitchen organization and other stuff.

Worth the read, thought I'd share.

http://glutenfreegirl.com/that-persistent-hope/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 11:52*am, ImStillMags > wrote:

> Here is a lovely article from one of my favorite Bloggers.....Gluten
> Free Girl, on kitchen organization and other stuff.
>
> Worth the read, thought I'd share.
>
> http://glutenfreegirl.com/that-persistent-hope/

Why is it people cannot write in paragraphs? I tried to read it, too
much chatter and I detest 2 line "paragraphs." I guess my problem is
I hate blogs, it's all ME, ME, ME.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
> On Feb 15, 11:52 am, ImStillMags > wrote:
>>
>> Here is a lovely article from one of my favorite Bloggers.....Gluten
>> Free Girl, on kitchen organization and other stuff.
>>
>> Worth the read, thought I'd share.
>>
>> http://glutenfreegirl.com/that-persistent-hope/
>>

> Why is it people cannot write in paragraphs? I tried to read it, too
> much chatter and I detest 2 line "paragraphs." I guess my problem is
> I hate blogs, it's all ME, ME, ME.

I don't like most blogs either. But I like hers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2012 12:52 PM, ImStillMags wrote:

> Here is a lovely article from one of my favorite Bloggers.....Gluten
> Free Girl, on kitchen organization and other stuff.
>
> Worth the read, thought I'd share.
>
> http://glutenfreegirl.com/that-persistent-hope/

What a journey they've had with Lucy so far. I could feel it in the
writing.

About the lighting, I thought of -sw and his photos taken outside and my
own photos that are the wrong colors so I couldn't do a blog of food
photos as much as I love to photograph what I make.

I recently added lighting in my kitchen, this week in fact. Just some
24" halogen fixtures under the cabinets to make working a little easier.
It wasn't expensive, and the electrician was efficient, good at his
work and probably something others here would attempt DIY, but not me.
I don't play with that stuff. That said, with the fixtures and
electrician, it was ~$345.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I enjoyed the blog, but especially enjoyed the responses/replies from
others. When my parents downsized is when I first realized my mother has
a hoarding problem (hundreds of washed out ready to use margerine
containers-sitting unused for years in the basement-she freaked when I
tried to throw them away.) One of the things I did with her kitchen
items was I put down a large plastic painters cloth on the (already
empty) living room floor. I then took every pot pan bowl pail etc from
the kitchen and laid them all out on the floor across the room. I then
made her choose what to keep and what to throw away. Some of those pans
were burned beyond redemption!

My own kitchen is miniscule. My pots and pans sat on top of the stove
precariously balanced and from time to time a lid would fall off. So
recently, I know this sounds odd, but I bought one of those shiny chrome
over-the-toilet shelving units and put in in the kitchen over the waste
basket. Now my shiny pots and pans have shelves to themselves and the
stovetop is always ready to use. Plus I no longer have to wash unused
pots due to spatter!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2012 10:34 PM, z z wrote:

> I know this sounds odd, but I bought one of those shiny chrome
> over-the-toilet shelving units and put in in the kitchen over the waste
> basket. Now my shiny pots and pans have shelves to themselves and the
> stovetop is always ready to use. Plus I no longer have to wash unused
> pots due to spatter!

Not odd at all! You found a solution to a small area. I think it's a
great solution.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joan wrote:

> Why is it people cannot write in paragraphs? I tried to read it, too
> much chatter and I detest 2 line "paragraphs." I guess my problem is
> I hate blogs, it's all ME, ME, ME.

I have to be in the mood to read blogs. My favorite blog, "Alinea at
Home" has been on hiatus for several months. I look in on it from time
to time, but by no means am I a regular reader.

The RFC on Facebook crowd also fosters that kind of ME-ME-ME culture, so
I only check in from time to time rather than reading habitually.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:54:22 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

> Joan wrote:
>
> > Why is it people cannot write in paragraphs? I tried to read it, too
> > much chatter and I detest 2 line "paragraphs." I guess my problem is
> > I hate blogs, it's all ME, ME, ME.

> I have to be in the mood to read blogs. My favorite blog, "Alinea at
> Home" has been on hiatus for several months. I look in on it from time
> to time, but by no means am I a regular reader.
>
> The RFC on Facebook crowd also fosters that kind of ME-ME-ME culture, so
> I only check in from time to time rather than reading habitually.

I guess you never figured out that a blog is an online diary. If you
don't like it, then it's not your genre. I only read recipe blogs and
pointedly skip the "introduction" because that part doesn't interest
me in the slightest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"z z" <When my parents downsized is when I first realized my mother has
> a hoarding problem (hundreds of washed out ready to use margerine
> containers-sitting unused for years in the basement-she freaked when I
> tried to throw them away.) One of the things I did with her kitchen
> items was I put down a large plastic painters cloth on the (already
> empty) living room floor. I then took every pot pan bowl pail etc from
> the kitchen and laid them all out on the floor across the room. I then
> made her choose what to keep and what to throw away.

I need to do that. I keep the jugs of water that my fussy cranky steam iron
likes in a bottom cabinet with root beer for the grandchildren and some
other never or rarely used stuff. I wonder what is in there. Maybe it's
time to get out my own painter's cloth and decide what to throw away. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:29:30 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>I recently added lighting in my kitchen, this week in fact. Just some
>24" halogen fixtures under the cabinets to make working a little easier.
> It wasn't expensive, and the electrician was efficient, good at his
>work and probably something others here would attempt DIY, but not me.
>I don't play with that stuff. That said, with the fixtures and
>electrician, it was ~$345.

Without seeing the fixtures or the installation I don't know if that
was a good price or not. It probably was though.

My dad remodeled his kitchen and I put 10 puck lights under his
cabinets. The lights and transformers were more than what you paid
for the whole job. It wasn't some kit you buy at home depot. Someone
else roughed in the job and the granite was installed before I got
there so I had a bit of a task to finish it.

Between the extra parts (switches, little cabinet to house the
transformers, wire, etc) and what the labor for another electrician to
do the job would have been around $750.

On the other side of the coin you can spend 25 bucks on a kit and use
double stick tape and plug the fixture into the wall and use an inline
switch. Unfortunatly the plug-in transformer won't last very long.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

*I keep the jugs of water that my fussy cranky steam iron
> likes in a bottom cabinet with root beer for the grandchildren and some
> other never or rarely used stuff. *I wonder what is in there. *Maybe it's
> time to get out my own painter's cloth and decide what to throw away. *Polly

_________________
Gee, how much steam ironing do you execute to need 'jugs' of water on
hand?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 2:24*pm, ItsJoanNotJoann > wrote:
> On Feb 15, 11:52*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > Here is a lovely article from one of my favorite Bloggers.....Gluten
> > Free Girl, on kitchen organization and other stuff.

> > Worth the read, thought I'd share.

> >http://glutenfreegirl.com/that-persistent-hope/

> Why is it people cannot write in paragraphs? *I tried to read it, too
> much chatter and I detest 2 line "paragraphs." *I guess my problem is
> I hate blogs, it's all ME, ME, ME.

"Ey, at least her spelling seemed OK as far as I read -- which wasn't
much, granted. I just wanted to see the offensive lack of paragraphs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2012 2:07 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:29:30 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> I recently added lighting in my kitchen, this week in fact. Just some
>> 24" halogen fixtures under the cabinets to make working a little easier.
>> It wasn't expensive, and the electrician was efficient, good at his
>> work and probably something others here would attempt DIY, but not me.
>> I don't play with that stuff. That said, with the fixtures and
>> electrician, it was ~$345.

> Without seeing the fixtures or the installation I don't know if that
> was a good price or not. It probably was though.
>
> My dad remodeled his kitchen and I put 10 puck lights under his
> cabinets. The lights and transformers were more than what you paid
> for the whole job. It wasn't some kit you buy at home depot. Someone
> else roughed in the job and the granite was installed before I got
> there so I had a bit of a task to finish it.
>
> Between the extra parts (switches, little cabinet to house the
> transformers, wire, etc) and what the labor for another electrician to
> do the job would have been around $750.
>
> On the other side of the coin you can spend 25 bucks on a kit and use
> double stick tape and plug the fixture into the wall and use an inline
> switch. Unfortunatly the plug-in transformer won't last very long.

I bought several of these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009XB2PA/...60_cs_sce_dp_1

The electrician said they were good. One of them had to be wired down
from the attic because the switch right by it wasn't powered, so if it
was wired to that switch, the cabinet lights would go on and off with
the overhead light. Not my ideal.

What are puck lights?

I'm getting new countertops soon looking at backsplashes, so it was good
to get the wiring done before that. One switch for the under-cabinet
fixture is part of one of the outlets. I lost one outlet of two in the
process but it was cheaper to do it that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2012 2:07 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:29:30 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> I recently added lighting in my kitchen, this week in fact. Just some
>> 24" halogen fixtures under the cabinets to make working a little easier.
>> It wasn't expensive, and the electrician was efficient, good at his
>> work and probably something others here would attempt DIY, but not me.
>> I don't play with that stuff. That said, with the fixtures and
>> electrician, it was ~$345.

> Without seeing the fixtures or the installation I don't know if that
> was a good price or not. It probably was though.
>
> My dad remodeled his kitchen and I put 10 puck lights under his
> cabinets. The lights and transformers were more than what you paid
> for the whole job. It wasn't some kit you buy at home depot. Someone
> else roughed in the job and the granite was installed before I got
> there so I had a bit of a task to finish it.
>
> Between the extra parts (switches, little cabinet to house the
> transformers, wire, etc) and what the labor for another electrician to
> do the job would have been around $750.
>
> On the other side of the coin you can spend 25 bucks on a kit and use
> double stick tape and plug the fixture into the wall and use an inline
> switch. Unfortunatly the plug-in transformer won't last very long.

I am so happy with how my electrician did, I took a couple of pictures.
The first is the lighting on my counter, and the second is looking up
under the cabinets.

http://i41.tinypic.com/rbhe6w.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/10zbkut.jpg

My next project is new countertops. Granite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 23:58:06 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 2/16/2012 2:07 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:29:30 -0500, >
>> wrote:

>I bought several of these:
>http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009XB2PA/...60_cs_sce_dp_1
>
>The electrician said they were good. One of them had to be wired down
>from the attic because the switch right by it wasn't powered, so if it
>was wired to that switch, the cabinet lights would go on and off with
>the overhead light. Not my ideal.
>
>What are puck lights?

Little lights that look like hockey pucks.

http://www.rockler.com/c/puck-led-li...r-cabinets.cfm

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 23:59:26 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 2/16/2012 10:52 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:

>> I much prefer halogen. LED's are ok for short term use like in a
>> closet or flashlight but for long time use they bother my eyes. I'm
>> sure in time they'll improve them like the did with CFL's and smoke
>> alarms.

>The electricians told me the halogen bulbs in my fixtures will probably
>last forever, but boy, they sure do put out some heat.

I'm not surprised 105 watts of halogen in the strip fixture is hot.
The system I was talking about is completely different. It's low
voltage and the transformers are under the sink in a box mounted in
the base cabinet. There is very little heat but lots of light evenly
spread out over the counters. It's a big house and a big kitchen.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 01:10:06 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>http://i41.tinypic.com/rbhe6w.jpg
>
>http://i39.tinypic.com/10zbkut.jpg

I'd caulk that hole they put in the wall.

>My next project is new countertops. Granite.

That will be nice.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 17, 10:20*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 01:10:06 -0500, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
> >http://i41.tinypic.com/rbhe6w.jpg

> >http://i39.tinypic.com/10zbkut.jpg

> I'd caulk that hole they put in the wall.
>
> >My next project is new countertops. *Granite.

> That will be nice.

I like my old Formica countertop because it has an integral
backsplash. The lack of which is one of my beefs with IKEA kitchens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:03:18 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> I like my old Formica countertop because it has an integral
> backsplash. The lack of which is one of my beefs with IKEA kitchens.

Then you have people like me who hate backsplashes. Can't stand the
look.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > writes:

> On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:03:18 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> > wrote:
>
>> I like my old Formica countertop because it has an integral
>> backsplash. The lack of which is one of my beefs with IKEA kitchens.

> Then you have people like me who hate backsplashes. Can't stand the
> look.

How often do you repaint the walls behind your counters, though?

I'm not very concerned with looks, *especially* in a kitchen.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 17, 12:00*pm, David Dyer-Bennet > wrote:
> sf > writes:
> > On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:03:18 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> > > wrote:

> >> I like my old Formica countertop because it has an integral
> >> backsplash. The lack of which is one of my beefs with IKEA kitchens.

> > Then you have people like me who hate backsplashes. *Can't stand the
> > look.

> How often do you repaint the walls behind your counters, though?
>
> I'm not very concerned with looks, *especially* in a kitchen.

Easy cleaning and low maintenance are my priorities for kitchen
fixtures. I couldn't believe it, several years ago, when people
started putting hardwood floors in kitchens, while I was dreaming of
single sheet vinyl flooring, to replace the peel and stick tiles the
previous homeowner had put down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 14:00:21 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet >
wrote:

> sf > writes:
>
> > On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:03:18 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I like my old Formica countertop because it has an integral
> >> backsplash. The lack of which is one of my beefs with IKEA kitchens.

> > Then you have people like me who hate backsplashes. Can't stand the
> > look.

> How often do you repaint the walls behind your counters, though?
>
> I'm not very concerned with looks, *especially* in a kitchen.

No paint. They were tile from counter to cabinet before the kitchen
update and it's granite now. A full sheet of brushed aluminum is
behind the stovetop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:05:10 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> Easy cleaning and low maintenance are my priorities for kitchen
> fixtures. I couldn't believe it, several years ago, when people
> started putting hardwood floors in kitchens, while I was dreaming of
> single sheet vinyl flooring, to replace the peel and stick tiles the
> previous homeowner had put down.

We have a wood floor in the kitchen and no rugs. Swiffer is the
answer - treat the floor like your dishes and clean up as you go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/17/2012 4:05 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Feb 17, 12:00 pm, David > wrote:
>> > writes:
>>> On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:03:18 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888

>>> Then you have people like me who hate backsplashes. Can't stand the
>>> look.

>> How often do you repaint the walls behind your counters, though?
>>
>> I'm not very concerned with looks, *especially* in a kitchen.

> Easy cleaning and low maintenance are my priorities for kitchen
> fixtures. I couldn't believe it, several years ago, when people
> started putting hardwood floors in kitchens, while I was dreaming of
> single sheet vinyl flooring, to replace the peel and stick tiles the
> previous homeowner had put down.

Easy cleaning is my priority, too. What I have now has a gap between
the countertop and the backsplash and it accumulates gunk. I want a
single piece to replace it, but I still want a backsplash.

I once tried to caulk the gap with clear caulk but eventually it became
stained and I took it out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/17/2012 4:14 PM, sf wrote:

> No paint. They were tile from counter to cabinet before the kitchen
> update and it's granite now. A full sheet of brushed aluminum is
> behind the stovetop.

That's what I want!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:16:00 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 2/17/2012 4:14 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > No paint. They were tile from counter to cabinet before the kitchen
> > update and it's granite now. A full sheet of brushed aluminum is
> > behind the stovetop.

> That's what I want!

I'd wanted that for a long time and the installer really liked the
idea too, so he got me one big piece of SS which means it's not only
behind the cooktop, it goes from one side of the surrounding counter
to the other with no seams.

However, it may not be for you. The way to know it's for you is if
you can reach over the stove to wipe it easily because you have to
keep it sparkling clean or else it looks awful. I am just short
enough that I have to stand on tiptoe and swipe at it with a paper
towel held in the tips of my fingers. So, either I need to stand on a
stool or hubby cleans it for me. Guess which method I choose?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/17/2012 11:43 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:16:00 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/17/2012 4:14 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>>> No paint. They were tile from counter to cabinet before the kitchen
>>> update and it's granite now. A full sheet of brushed aluminum is
>>> behind the stovetop.

>> That's what I want!

> I'd wanted that for a long time and the installer really liked the
> idea too, so he got me one big piece of SS which means it's not only
> behind the cooktop, it goes from one side of the surrounding counter
> to the other with no seams.
>
> However, it may not be for you. The way to know it's for you is if
> you can reach over the stove to wipe it easily because you have to
> keep it sparkling clean or else it looks awful. I am just short
> enough that I have to stand on tiptoe and swipe at it with a paper
> towel held in the tips of my fingers. So, either I need to stand on a
> stool or hubby cleans it for me. Guess which method I choose?

I won't have the reach problem. I'm 5'7" so tall enough to reach, and
I've gotten used to having to keep surfaces spotless with my change to
stainless appliances. I really like how they shine so cleaning is a
pleasure to me these days.

I just bought a bunch of brushed nickel drawer and cabinet pulls for the
doors and drawers so installing them along with high-shining the wood
surfaces is my morning project. I think the look of the pulls is going
to make a big difference in my kitchen, too. Plus, opening the higher
cabinet doors without pulls is getting tiresome.

Member

The article is worth reading. Thank you for posting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:13:36 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>>> How often do you repaint the walls behind your counters, though?
>>>
>>> I'm not very concerned with looks, *especially* in a kitchen.

>> Easy cleaning and low maintenance are my priorities for kitchen
>> fixtures. I couldn't believe it, several years ago, when people
>> started putting hardwood floors in kitchens, while I was dreaming of
>> single sheet vinyl flooring, to replace the peel and stick tiles the
>> previous homeowner had put down.

Hardwood flooring works beautifully in kitchens, providing it's real
hardwood flooring, not those crapo laminates like Pergo.

>Easy cleaning is my priority, too. What I have now has a gap between
>the countertop and the backsplash and it accumulates gunk. I want a
>single piece to replace it, but I still want a backsplash.
>I once tried to caulk the gap with clear caulk but eventually it became
>stained and I took it out.

There are neat stainless steel trim strips in various configurations
one can snap into that backsplash/countertop gap, they seal perfectly
and I think are much more attractive than the one piece construction
with that hidious large radious bend, that also prevents appliances
from setting back to the wall, and makes the countertops look like
they're cheapo ready mades from Home Depot... the ss trim give the
custom made on-site look. They work whether one has a low (4") back
splash, a full wall back splash, or even a papered wall with no back
splash.
http://retrorenovation.com/2008/05/0...te-countertop/
My kitchen counters have that ss cove molding and it's been there for
rnearly 60 years and is still perfect, I haven't even thought about it
till this thread. Can be seen in this pictu
http://i40.tinypic.com/2m46gew.jpg
My laminate backsplash goes all the way to the cabinets. And my
Brazilian cherry floor has been down ten years now and is still
perfect and caring for it is easy peasy, vacuum and microfiber mop
with the Bonakemi system... I even have the same floor in my
bathroom/laundry room... the new hardwood floor sealers don't allow
water to penetrate. Every floor in my house including hallways is
hardwood except my main bath... my wood floors are some sixty years
old and still look brand new, actually better than new because as real
hardwood ages its color and grain become enhanced and it develops a
beautiful patina.
http://www.bona.com/en-US/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 2/17/2012 4:14 PM, sf wrote:
>
>> No paint. They were tile from counter to cabinet before the kitchen
>> update and it's granite now. A full sheet of brushed aluminum is
>> behind the stovetop.

>That's what I want!

How do you know you want something you can't see?
Brushed aluminum won't hold up well, it will oxidize developing a
patchy appearance and will scratch easily, and aluminum just looks
cheap because it is cheap... what you want is brushed stainless steel.
If you want a soft metal that scratches and oxidizes at least go
classy with solid copper. An aluminum backsplash proves that sf is
low class and after six months her aluminum backsplash will match her
cellulite pockmarked fat ass. You definitely do not want aluminum in a
kitchen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 20:43:26 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:16:00 -0500, Cheryl >
>wrote:
>
>> On 2/17/2012 4:14 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> > No paint. They were tile from counter to cabinet before the kitchen
>> > update and it's granite now. A full sheet of brushed aluminum is
>> > behind the stovetop.

>> That's what I want!

>I'd wanted that for a long time and the installer really liked the
>idea too, so he got me one big piece of SS.

Very last post you said "aluminum", which is the truth?!?!?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 09:52:52 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>Here is a lovely article from one of my favorite Bloggers.....Gluten
>Free Girl, on kitchen organization and other stuff.
>
>Worth the read, thought I'd share.
>
>http://glutenfreegirl.com/that-persistent-hope/

One of my favorites also, thanks for sharing.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 2/15/2012 12:52 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>
>> Here is a lovely article from one of my favorite Bloggers.....Gluten
>> Free Girl, on kitchen organization and other stuff.
>>
>> Worth the read, thought I'd share.
>>
>> http://glutenfreegirl.com/that-persistent-hope/

>What a journey they've had with Lucy so far. I could feel it in the
>writing.

>About the lighting, I thought of -sw and his photos taken outside and my
>own photos that are the wrong colors so I couldn't do a blog of food
>photos as much as I love to photograph what I make.

Don't let the photos discourage you from blogging. I don't know what
photo program you have but a lot of color problems can be fixed in
them.
Even if you don't have a program to correct the color, a blog is a way
for you to share with friends and family, especially the ones that
live far away. I blog for fun, not profit and enjoy challenging myself
in both cooking and photography.

>I recently added lighting in my kitchen, this week in fact. Just some
>24" halogen fixtures under the cabinets to make working a little easier.
> It wasn't expensive, and the electrician was efficient, good at his
>work and probably something others here would attempt DIY, but not me.
>I don't play with that stuff. That said, with the fixtures and
>electrician, it was ~$345.

Don't blame you, electricity is not something I'd do with the book in
one hand and the wires in the other. ;-)

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:18:15 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On 2/17/2012 4:14 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> > No paint. They were tile from counter to cabinet before the kitchen
>> > update and it's granite now. A full sheet of brushed aluminum is
>> > behind the stovetop.

>> That's what I want!

> We have brushed stainless steel splashbacks behind the sinks, cooker
>and food prep area. I got them made to measure by a metal workshop at a
>fraction of the price kitchen shops charge. Each splashback is cut in one
>piece to exactly fit the wall it's on and I gave them the exact positions
>to cut out the holes for the plug sockets (also ss)

Do you mean the trim plates are S/S?

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 > writes:

> On Feb 17, 12:00*pm, David Dyer-Bennet > wrote:
>> sf > writes:
>> > On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:03:18 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888

>> > Then you have people like me who hate backsplashes. *Can't stand the
>> > look.

>> How often do you repaint the walls behind your counters, though?
>>
>> I'm not very concerned with looks, *especially* in a kitchen.

> Easy cleaning and low maintenance are my priorities for kitchen
> fixtures. I couldn't believe it, several years ago, when people
> started putting hardwood floors in kitchens, while I was dreaming of
> single sheet vinyl flooring, to replace the peel and stick tiles the
> previous homeowner had put down.

We're now about done ruining our second wood floor in a kitchen, and
this time I'm going to put my foot down and refuse to do such a thing
again.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > writes:

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:22:14 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet >
> wrote:
>

>> We're now about done ruining our second wood floor in a kitchen, and
>> this time I'm going to put my foot down and refuse to do such a thing
>> again.

> What do you do to ruin it?

Cook over it.

Oh, okay; mostly not mop it often enough.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:10:41 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet >
wrote:

> sf > writes:
>
> > On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:22:14 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet >
> > wrote:
> >

> >> We're now about done ruining our second wood floor in a kitchen, and
> >> this time I'm going to put my foot down and refuse to do such a thing
> >> again.

> > What do you do to ruin it?

> Cook over it.
>
> Oh, okay; mostly not mop it often enough.

Okay, well how will a different surface solve that problem?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 20, 1:10*pm, David Dyer-Bennet > wrote:

> > What do you do to ruin it?

> Cook over it.
>
> Oh, okay; mostly not mop it often enough.

I have wood floors in my kitchen and there's not a mark on them. The
secret to keeping ANY wood floor is proper care. Especially in a
kitchen.....never leave water drops or food on the floor. Use warm
water and ammonia to damp mop and keep the floor clean. Of course
the finish on the wood floor makes a difference also. If you have a
really good seal on your floor it should last you for a
lifetime......if you care for it properly.

I'm sure the wood floor you have now could be sanded, refinished and
sealed properly....that is unless you've left so much water on it for
so long it rotted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags > writes:

> On Feb 20, 1:10*pm, David Dyer-Bennet > wrote:
>
>> > What do you do to ruin it?

>> Cook over it.
>>
>> Oh, okay; mostly not mop it often enough.

> I have wood floors in my kitchen and there's not a mark on them. The
> secret to keeping ANY wood floor is proper care. Especially in a
> kitchen.....never leave water drops or food on the floor. Use warm
> water and ammonia to damp mop and keep the floor clean. Of course
> the finish on the wood floor makes a difference also. If you have a
> really good seal on your floor it should last you for a
> lifetime......if you care for it properly.
>
> I'm sure the wood floor you have now could be sanded, refinished and
> sealed properly....that is unless you've left so much water on it for
> so long it rotted.

Sure, but my hobby isn't taking care of my house. I want something that
doesn't need daily attention to remain usable and decent-looking.