FoodBanter.com

-   -   Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/415425-you-fixing-special-dinner.html)

Judy Haffner 08-02-2012 07:17 AM

Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?

We use to always get together at my parent's home when they were both
still living, and I'd always make a special dessert, and usually a salad
of some kind.

For the past few years my hubby and I go out to our favorite restaurant
for dinner. They have a special menu just for that day with several
choices.

Judy

Julie Bove[_2_] 08-02-2012 08:27 AM

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
> friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?
>
> We use to always get together at my parent's home when they were both
> still living, and I'd always make a special dessert, and usually a salad
> of some kind.
>
> For the past few years my hubby and I go out to our favorite restaurant
> for dinner. They have a special menu just for that day with several
> choices.

Nope. That's a Tuesday so dance classes as usual. Must have a quick meal
before classes start. I might get some Valentine's paper plates but that
would be it.

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 08-02-2012 10:52 AM

Judy wrote:

> How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
> friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?
>
> We use to always get together at my parent's home when they were both
> still living, and I'd always make a special dessert, and usually a salad
> of some kind.
>
> For the past few years my hubby and I go out to our favorite restaurant
> for dinner. They have a special menu just for that day with several
> choices.

Lin and I make special dinners for February 13th and for February 14th.
(We call February 13 "Proposal Day" since that's the date I proposed to
her.)

We have somewhat soured on going out to dinner on that night; we find
that restaurant standards plummet on that night, presumably because of
the ravening hordes of diners.

This year Lin is making dinner on Proposal Day and I'm making dinner on
Valentine's Day. I don't know what she's planning to cook but here's my
latest menu draft:

APPETIZER
Poached celery with shrimp

MAIN COURSE
Chicken livers with blood-orange glaze and segments
Mashed cauliflower
Mixed greens

DRIFTING TOWARD DESSERT
Farina timbale with candied red bell pepper

DESSERT
Apricot clafouti (made using dried apricots reconstituted in plum wine)

Bob

Gary 08-02-2012 12:24 PM

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Lin and I make special dinners for February 13th and for February 14th.
> (We call February 13 "Proposal Day" since that's the date I proposed to
> her.)

Well! You two certainly have a better history of those 2 days than I do.

About 25 years ago, my wife left me (and our 7-year-old daughter). She said
she was tired of being a wife and a mother and she ran off with her boss who
was also married. How "soap opera" is that? hahahaha

Anyway, the day she left was February 13 and it was Friday the 13th too that
year! Good one.

Not only that, it was the day before Valentine's Day. ARRGHHHHH! That hurt
even worse. She couldn't have timed it better to hurt me.

That was probably the lowest point in my life. So on Saturday (VT day) I
needed to get out of the house so I took my daughter to the local roller
rink for some skating. Even the roller rink was evil (to me) that day.
Every 3rd song (and roller session) they announced, "It's Valentine's Day so
this next session is couples-only." oh man.

"That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger?"

That's all ancient history now though. I've had a great life since and the
best thing is that I got to raise my daughter by myself and be there for her
all of her growing years. Yeah...even the annoying teenage years. ;) Much
better than paying child support and rarely seeing her. I was her
elementary school's very first male "room mother." :-D

Gary

Bryan[_6_] 08-02-2012 01:06 PM

On Feb 8, 1:17*am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
> friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?

I buy a live lobster to cook for my wife. I serve here the tail and
big claw pieces with lemon butter. Then I too the head and liver, and
painstakingly remove all the tiny bits of meat from the rest of the
shell. Then I boil the shells to make broth for soup to serve her the
next day.

> Judy

--Bryan

Gary 08-02-2012 01:47 PM

Bryan wrote:

> On Feb 8, 1:17 am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> > How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
> > friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?
> >

> I buy a live lobster to cook for my wife. I serve here the tail and
> big claw pieces with lemon butter. Then I too the head and liver, and
> painstakingly remove all the tiny bits of meat from the rest of the
> shell.

Consider this, Bryan. I found it in my recipes folder and I remember it
well.

Baked Stuffed Lobster

Parboil the lobsters until light red. Split and clean out the coral and
the green fat from the body cavity.

Saute onion, green pepper, celery, bread crumbs, salt, thyme,
green fat and coral in butter. Add chopped up meat from one of the
claws (the smaller one).

Stuff the cavity, put a little butter and lemon juice on top. Sprinkle
a little paprika on. Broil until browned

My personal notes: The one time I had this, we also added the meat from
one blue crab to the stuffing. Blue crab has a "tangier" taste than
lobster.

With this recipe you get to eat the whole lobster plain, as you normally
would except for the one small claw that's added to the stuffing.

Trust me, that stuffing is the best part.
I've never forgotten that meal!!!! :-D

Also: Years ago, I used to be able to buy "Rock Shrimp" from fishermen
who would catch them and set up a stand out of the back of their pickup
trucks. They had harder shells than regular shrimp and they were much
cheaper. They tasted JUST LIKE LOBSTER and they were cheaper than
lobster or the regular shrimp.

I haven't seen them in years, but lately have seen "Tiger Shrimp" in the
stores.... these look the same (and are now more expensive). I'll bet
these are the same type of shrimp.

Gary

itsjoannotjoann 08-02-2012 02:21 PM

Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

On Feb 8, 1:17*am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:

> For the past few years my hubby and I go out to our favorite restaurant
> for dinner. They have a special menu just for that day with several
> choices.
>
> Judy

I hope it's not the same restaurant a few weeks ago you and Mr. H.
went to that every time you'd stuffed your face the waitress was
popping by with questions.

Kalmia 08-02-2012 02:30 PM

Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

Enn - oh. It will be my time to get off my kitchen feet and get
served. Oh, and no resto for me with a fixed menu. Been there - it
was expensive, long wait, over-crowded and food choices stunk. We'll
go to my fave, small, Italian joint.

Say, I'd better make that reservation, huh!!

Brooklyn1 08-02-2012 02:35 PM

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
> Judy Haffner wrote:
>>
>> For the past few years my hubby and I go out to our favorite restaurant
>> for dinner. They have a special menu just for that day with several
>> choices.
>>
>> Judy

Judy's special menu:
http://www.mikesdoghouse.net/s/doghouse_new/product/

itsjoannotjoann 08-02-2012 03:28 PM

On Feb 8, 8:35*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> > Judy Haffner wrote:

> >> For the past few years my hubby and I go out to our favorite restaurant
> >> for dinner. They have a special menu just for that day with several
> >> choices.

> >> Judy

> >ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

> >I hope it's not the same restaurant a few weeks ago you and Mr. H.
> >went to that every time you'd stuffed your face the waitress was
> >popping by with questions.

>> Judy's special menu:http://www.mikesdoghouse.net/s/doghouse_new/product/

I hope Ju-Ju has made her plane reservations.

jmcquown[_2_] 08-02-2012 04:23 PM

Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
> friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?

(snippage)

Valentine's Day is an artificial holiday created by the greeting card
companies. It has nothing to do with whether or not you love (or even like)
someone. It's designed to make you spend money on greeting cards and, by
extension, take someone out to or cook dinner. It's purely commercial and I
don't subscribe to it any more than I sit around reading romance novels
while sipping mint juleps ;)

Jill

Brooklyn1 08-02-2012 04:57 PM

Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:23:50 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message
>>
>> How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
>> friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?
>>

> (snippage)
>
>Valentine's Day is an artificial holiday created by the greeting card
>companies. It has nothing to do with whether or not you love (or even like)
>someone. It's designed to make you spend money on greeting cards and, by
>extension, take someone out to or cook dinner. It's purely commercial and I
>don't subscribe to it any more than I sit around reading romance novels
>while sipping mint juleps ;)
>
>Jill

I love the day after, when chocolate is 50% off. I celebrate the day
after Easter too.

jmcquown[_2_] 08-02-2012 05:00 PM

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:23:50 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
>>> friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?
>>>

>> (snippage)
>>
>>Valentine's Day is an artificial holiday created by the greeting card
>>companies. It has nothing to do with whether or not you love (or even
>>like)
>>someone. It's designed to make you spend money on greeting cards and, by
>>extension, take someone out to or cook dinner. It's purely commercial and
>>don't subscribe to it any more than I sit around reading romance novels
>>while sipping mint juleps ;)
>>
>>Jill

> I love the day after, when chocolate is 50% off. I celebrate the day
> after Easter too.

But would you normally buy something like that? I wouldn't. Maybe some ice
cream ;)

Jill

Judy Haffner 08-02-2012 05:11 PM

Gary wrote:

>About 25 years ago, my wife left me (and
> our 7-year-old daughter). She said she
> was tired of being a wife and a mother
> and she ran off with her boss who was
> also married. How "soap opera" is that?> hahahaha

>Anyway, the day she left was February
> 13 and it was Friday the 13th too that
> year! Good one.

>Not only that, it was the day before
> Valentine's Day. ARRGHHHHH! That
> hurt even worse. She couldn't have
> timed it better to hurt me.

Gary, your post touched my heart, as a similar thing happened in our
family...in 2002 our youngest son's wife, who we loved as a daughter,
left him and their two daughters, then ages 11 and 12 for a old
boyfriend, and broke our son's heart in two. He was a GREAT
father/mother and those girls have grown into lovely young women. His ex
married the guy she ran off with, but now they are in the process of a
divorce, so what goes around, comes around!

Our son also remarried in our living room 7 years ago next month, to a
nice lady with a son and daughter, who he adopted, after their own dad
committed suicide. They have a good life and I'm thankful my son found
happiness again, but I know the old scars are still there, and will
never be forgotten.

Congratulations on always being their for your daughter and raising her
on your own. I'm sure you are very proud of her, as she is of you! Does
she and her mother have any kind of relationship now? I will never
understand how a mother could ever leave her child?! I would have felt
like someone had ripped my heart out!

Judy

Judy Haffner 08-02-2012 05:25 PM

Jill wrote:

>Valentine's Day is an artificial holiday
> created by the greeting card companies.
> It has nothing to do with whether or not
> you love (or even like) someone. It's
> designed to make you spend money on
> greeting cards and, by extension, take
> someone out to or cook dinner. It's
> purely commercial and I don't subscribe
> to it any more than I sit around reading
> romance novels while sipping mint
> juleps ;)

If you are indeed serious about this, I find it a strange analogy,
unless possibly you have had a bad experience and are bitter about love
in general. EVERY holiday is a "greeting card day", but I just don't go
for that line of thinking, as first off you can celebrate the day
without buying anyone a card. It's a perfect time to show someone you
care about them, and express the feeling any way you choose. It's always
been a special day for me, and I always make it a special day for my
husband of 53 years.

I bet you don't believe in Santa Clause, or the Easter Bunny either?!
<:))

Judy

merryb 08-02-2012 05:28 PM

On Feb 8, 4:24*am, Gary > wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
> > Lin and I make special dinners for February 13th and for February 14th.
> > (We call February 13 "Proposal Day" since that's the date I proposed to
> > her.)

> Well! *You two certainly have a better history of those 2 days than I do.
>
> About 25 years ago, my wife left me (and our 7-year-old daughter). She said
> she was tired of being a wife and a mother and she ran off with her boss who
> was also married. *How "soap opera" is that? *hahahaha
>
> Anyway, the day she left was February 13 and it was Friday the 13th too that
> year! Good one.
>
> Not only that, it was the day before Valentine's Day. *ARRGHHHHH! *That hurt
> even worse. She couldn't have timed it better to hurt me.
>
> That was probably the lowest point in my life. So on Saturday (VT day) I
> needed to get out of the house so I took my daughter to the local roller
> rink for some skating. *Even the roller rink was evil (to me) that day.
> Every 3rd song (and roller session) they announced, "It's Valentine's Day so
> this next session is couples-only." *oh man.
>
> "That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger?"
>
> That's all ancient history now though. *I've had a great life since and the
> best thing is that I got to raise my daughter by myself and be there for her
> all of her growing years. Yeah...even the annoying teenage years. *;) *Much
> better than paying child support and rarely seeing her. *I was her
> elementary school's very first male "room mother." * :-D
>
> Gary

Wow- that's bizarre that she wasn't around for the kid. I know a few
men who have done that, but not any females. Good on you for being a
good dad!

Brooklyn1 08-02-2012 05:32 PM

"jmcquown" wrote:
>"Brooklyn1" wrote:
>> jmquown wrote:
>>>"Judy Haffner" wrote

>>>Valentine's Day is an artificial holiday

So are most holidays, do you think Christmas is real, it's not, not
when the stores start celebrating two months in advance

>>>created by the greeting card
>>>companies. It has nothing to do with whether or not you love (or even
>>>like)
>>>someone. It's designed to make you spend money on greeting cards and, by
>>>extension, take someone out to or cook dinner. It's purely commercial and
>>>I don't subscribe to it any more than I sit around reading romance novels
>>>while sipping mint juleps ;)

>> I love the day after, when chocolate is 50% off. I celebrate the day
>> after Easter too.

>But would you normally buy something like that? I wouldn't. Maybe some ice
>cream ;)

I buy after holiday chocolates all the time... the holiday may be
stale but the chocolates are fine. The local Rite-Aid always has lots
of heavily discounted after holiday merchandise, but not ice cream.

Kalmia 08-02-2012 05:33 PM

On Feb 8, 11:23*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> > How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
> > friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?

> *(snippage)
>
> Valentine's Day is an artificial holiday created by the greeting card
> companies. *It has nothing to do with whether or not you love (or even like)
> someone. *It's designed to make you spend money on greeting cards and, by
> extension, take someone out to or cook dinner. *It's purely commercial and I
> don't subscribe to it any more than I sit around reading romance novels
> while sipping mint juleps ;)
>
> Jill

Yeah...but just let a husband or SO forget and there's hell to pay.
It also causes dissension in an office when some women get roses
delivered and others just pout and feel unloved.

I think the floral industry is also a party to the hoopla.

Brooklyn1 08-02-2012 06:04 PM

Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 08:25:01 -0900, (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

>Jill wrote:
>
>>Valentine's Day is an artificial holiday
>> created by the greeting card companies.
>> It has nothing to do with whether or not
>> you love (or even like) someone. It's
>> designed to make you spend money on
>> greeting cards and, by extension, take
>> someone out to or cook dinner. It's
>> purely commercial and I don't subscribe
>> to it any more than I sit around reading
>> romance novels while sipping mint
>> juleps ;)

>If you are indeed serious about this, I find it a strange analogy,
>unless possibly you have had a bad experience and are bitter about love
>in general. EVERY holiday is a "greeting card day", but I just don't go
>for that line of thinking, as first off you can celebrate the day
>without buying anyone a card. It's a perfect time to show someone you
>care about them, and express the feeling any way you choose. It's always
>been a special day for me, and I always make it a special day for my
>husband of 53 years.
>
>I bet you don't believe in Santa Clause, or the Easter Bunny either?!
><:))
>
>Judy

Nowadays it's ecards. I no longer send paper cards, they've become
ridiculously expensive. And even the pricy ones are not very good
quality anymore, not worth saving. I used to send some fifty
Christmas cards every year but due to attrition and those who haven't
reciprocated my list is now down to I think six... and no email addy,
no card. I got tired of spending/wasting hours looking through paper
cards at the store and coming up with nothing I felt was fitting, even
Hallmark sells crap nowadays, they use terribly cheap card stock A
few people still get hand penned notes on Crane card stock.
http://www.crane.com/home

jmcquown[_2_] 08-02-2012 06:24 PM

Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Jill wrote:
>
>>Valentine's Day is an artificial holiday
>> created by the greeting card companies.
>> It has nothing to do with whether or not
>> you love (or even like) someone. It's
>> designed to make you spend money on
>> greeting cards and, by extension, take
>> someone out to or cook dinner. It's
>> purely commercial and I don't subscribe
>> to it any more than I sit around reading
>> romance novels while sipping mint
>> juleps ;)

> If you are indeed serious about this, I find it a strange analogy,
> unless possibly you have had a bad experience and are bitter about love
> in general.

Nope, I'm not bitter about love but I think it's a strange holiday given
that it's on Saint Valentine's Day, said date referring to a bloody massacre
which took place during Prohibition.

>EVERY holiday is a "greeting card day", but I just don't go
> for that line of thinking, as first off you can celebrate the day
> without buying anyone a card. It's a perfect time to show someone you
> care about them, and express the feeling any way you choose. It's always
> been a special day for me, and I always make it a special day for my
> husband of 53 years.

Good for you! I was simply replying to the premise of a special dinner.
Every dinner is (or should be) a special dinner. Don't need Hallmark to
tell me when that should be.

> I bet you don't believe in Santa Clause, or the Easter Bunny either?!
> <:))
>
> Judy

Of course I don't. I haven't believed in Santa Clause since I was a kid.
The fact that my parents had us pick out Christmas presents from the Sears
toy catalog two months ahead of time, so they could be shipped to Bangkok in
time for Christmas, pretty much clarified there was no Jolly Man in a Red
Suit. (Not to mention there was no chimney. LOL) I don't celebrate
Christmas. I hang a wreath on the door as my nod to the Winter solstice.

The Easter Bunny? Surely you jest. Yeah, sure, Jesus rose from the dead so
a bunny could deliver Cadbury cream eggs and jelly beans in baskets. I
don't think so!

Jill

Judy Haffner 08-02-2012 06:25 PM

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

>I hope it's not the same restaurant a few
> weeks ago you and Mr. H. went to that
> every time you'd stuffed your face the
> waitress was popping by with questions.

AAMOF it IS the same restaurant, but our granddaughter (who is also a
waitress at an Italian restaurant) told us the over-attentive waitress
is no longer there. No doubt there was complaints on her. I'm sure she
thought she was doing a good job, but some diners do not care to be
hovered over when they go out for a nice leisurely meal. Sometimes less
is best.

Judy

jmcquown[_2_] 08-02-2012 06:33 PM

Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 08:25:01 -0900, (Judy Haffner)
> wrote:
>

>>Jill wrote:
>>
>>>Valentine's Day is an artificial holiday
>>> created by the greeting card companies.
>>> It has nothing to do with whether or not
>>> you love (or even like) someone. It's
>>> designed to make you spend money on
>>> greeting cards and, by extension, take
>>> someone out to or cook dinner. It's
>>> purely commercial and I don't subscribe
>>> to it any more than I sit around reading
>>> romance novels while sipping mint
>>> juleps ;)

>>If you are indeed serious about this, I find it a strange analogy,
>>unless possibly you have had a bad experience and are bitter about love
>>in general. EVERY holiday is a "greeting card day", but I just don't go
>>for that line of thinking, as first off you can celebrate the day
>>without buying anyone a card. It's a perfect time to show someone you
>>care about them, and express the feeling any way you choose. It's always
>>been a special day for me, and I always make it a special day for my
>>husband of 53 years.
>>
>>I bet you don't believe in Santa Clause, or the Easter Bunny either?!
>><:))
>>
>>Judy

> Nowadays it's ecards. I no longer send paper cards, they've become
> ridiculously expensive. And even the pricy ones are not very good
> quality anymore, not worth saving. I used to send some fifty
> Christmas cards every year but due to attrition and those who haven't
> reciprocated my list is now down to I think six... and no email addy,
> no card. I got tired of spending/wasting hours looking through paper
> cards at the store and coming up with nothing I felt was fitting, even
> Hallmark sells crap nowadays, they use terribly cheap card stock A
> few people still get hand penned notes on Crane card stock.

http://www.crane.com/home

E-cards are all well and good if the recipient has a computer. I still have
a couple of elderly aunts who don't have computers. My father's sister; my
mom's brother's widow. I talk with them on the phone a couple of times a
month. We exchange hand-written holiday cards. For them, it's what they're
used to. To me, hand-written notes added to a card are much more personal
than a e-card. I know I cherish getting hand-written notes by them.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 08-02-2012 06:37 PM

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Feb 8, 11:23 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> "Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

>> > How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
>> > friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?

>> (snippage)
>>
>> Valentine's Day is an artificial holiday created by the greeting card
>> companies. It has nothing to do with whether or not you love (or even
>> like)
>> someone. It's designed to make you spend money on greeting cards and, by
>> extension, take someone out to or cook dinner. It's purely commercial
>> and I
>> don't subscribe to it any more than I sit around reading romance novels
>> while sipping mint juleps ;)
>>
>> Jill

> Yeah...but just let a husband or SO forget and there's hell to pay.
> It also causes dissension in an office when some women get roses
> delivered and others just pout and feel unloved.
>
> I think the floral industry is also a party to the hoopla.

Probably so. And the candy shops. Delivery services. Sorry, but the whole
idea bores me.

Jill

Judy Haffner 08-02-2012 07:01 PM

Jill wrote:

>Of course I don't. I haven't believed in
> Santa Clause since I was a kid. The fact
> that my parents had us pick out
> Christmas presents from the Sears toy
> catalog two months ahead of time, so
> they could be shipped to Bangkok in
> time for Christmas, pretty much clarified
> there was no Jolly Man in a Red Suit.
> (Not to mention there was no chimney.
> LOL) I don't celebrate Christmas. I hang
> a wreath on the door as my nod to the
> Winter solstice.

>The Easter Bunny? Surely you jest.
> Yeah, sure, Jesus rose from the dead so
> a bunny could deliver Cadbury cream
> eggs and jelly beans in baskets. I don't
> think so!

Obviously you have never had children? But if you did, life sure
couldn't have been much fun around your house for special occasions?

We raised four, and I had as much fun at Christmas time and Easter as
the kids did! Our kids continued on doing the Santa Clause bit and
Easter baskets, hiding eggs for their children, just as I was raised and
what wonderful memories I have of my childhood, and I treasure those
special times.

Judy

Lou decruss 08-02-2012 07:07 PM

Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 13:33:27 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .

>> Nowadays it's ecards. I no longer send paper cards, they've become
>> ridiculously expensive. And even the pricy ones are not very good
>> quality anymore, not worth saving. I used to send some fifty
>> Christmas cards every year but due to attrition and those who haven't
>> reciprocated my list is now down to I think six... and no email addy,
>> no card. I got tired of spending/wasting hours looking through paper
>> cards at the store and coming up with nothing I felt was fitting, even
>> Hallmark sells crap nowadays, they use terribly cheap card stock A
>> few people still get hand penned notes on Crane card stock.
>> http://www.crane.com/home
>>

>E-cards are all well and good if the recipient has a computer. I still have
>a couple of elderly aunts who don't have computers. My father's sister; my
>mom's brother's widow. I talk with them on the phone a couple of times a
>month. We exchange hand-written holiday cards. For them, it's what they're
>used to. To me, hand-written notes added to a card are much more personal
>than a e-card. I know I cherish getting hand-written notes by them.

Is the hand written note in the form of a check? LOLOL

Julie Bove[_2_] 08-02-2012 10:49 PM

Judy Haffner wrote:
> Jill wrote:
>
>> Valentine's Day is an artificial holiday
>> created by the greeting card companies.
>> It has nothing to do with whether or not
>> you love (or even like) someone. It's
>> designed to make you spend money on
>> greeting cards and, by extension, take
>> someone out to or cook dinner. It's
>> purely commercial and I don't subscribe
>> to it any more than I sit around reading
>> romance novels while sipping mint
>> juleps ;)

> If you are indeed serious about this, I find it a strange analogy,
> unless possibly you have had a bad experience and are bitter about
> love in general. EVERY holiday is a "greeting card day", but I just
> don't go for that line of thinking, as first off you can celebrate
> the day without buying anyone a card. It's a perfect time to show
> someone you care about them, and express the feeling any way you
> choose. It's always been a special day for me, and I always make it a
> special day for my husband of 53 years.
>
> I bet you don't believe in Santa Clause, or the Easter Bunny either?!
> <:))

We never did anything special for Valentines Day when we were growing up.
We did have a party at school and we did buy those cheap cards to give out
to our friends.

Recently my mom has told me that Valentine's Day is her least favorite
holiday and how it caused her so much stress as a child. I found this to be
odd. But apparently when she was in school it was not mandatory to give
Valentines to every kid in the class. You could give them to whoever you
wanted to. She always feared that she would get none. Apparently it caused
her such stress that she worried for days about it. She said she did always
get some. That just kind of floored me.

I don't remember how it was when I was in school. I don't know if we were
required to give to each child or not. I always did. But for the people I
considered special, I tried to pick the best ones just as my daughter did
when she was little. At her school it was not mandatory to give them at
all. You could or could not but if you did, you did have to give one to
everyone.

My mom still has very bad memories of Valentines day and perhaps that is why
she doesn't celebrate it.

Kalmia 09-02-2012 02:07 AM

On Feb 8, 1:04*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 08:25:01 -0900, (Judy Haffner)
> wrote:
>

> >Jill wrote:

> >>Valentine's Day is an artificial holiday
> >> created by the greeting card companies.
> >> It has nothing to do with whether or not
> >> you love (or even like) someone. It's
> >> designed to make you spend money on
> >> greeting cards and, by extension, take
> >> someone out to or cook dinner. It's
> >> purely commercial and I don't subscribe
> >> to it any more than I sit around reading
> >> romance novels while sipping mint
> >> juleps ;)

> >If you are indeed serious about this, I find it a strange analogy,
> >unless possibly you have had a bad experience and are bitter about love
> >in general. EVERY holiday is a "greeting card day", but I just don't go
> >for that line of thinking, as first off you can celebrate the day
> >without buying anyone a card. It's a perfect time to show someone you
> >care about them, and express the feeling any way you choose. It's always
> >been a special day for me, and I always make it a special day for my
> >husband of 53 years.

> >I bet you don't believe in Santa Clause, or the Easter Bunny either?!
> ><:))

> >Judy

> Nowadays it's ecards. *I no longer send paper cards, they've become
> ridiculously expensive. *And even the pricy ones are not very good
> quality anymore, not worth saving. *I used to send some fifty
> Christmas cards every year but due to attrition and those who haven't
> reciprocated my list is now down to I think six... and no email addy,
> no card. *I got tired of spending/wasting hours looking through paper
> cards at the store and coming up with nothing I felt was fitting, even
> Hallmark sells crap nowadays, they use terribly cheap card stock *A
> few people still get hand penned notes on Crane card stock.http://www.crane.com/home

Good to know Crane is still in bus, but....I'm afraid to ask. Is it
made in China now?
I had a box of business stationery by Crane, bought to write n very
important life-changing letter-- with real ink -- used it sparingly
and took 25 years to use last sheet.

Brooklyn1 09-02-2012 02:46 AM

Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 18:07:48 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Feb 8, 1:04*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 08:25:01 -0900, (Judy Haffner)
>> wrote:

>> >If you are indeed serious about this, I find it a strange analogy,
>> >unless possibly you have had a bad experience and are bitter about love
>> >in general. EVERY holiday is a "greeting card day", but I just don't go
>> >for that line of thinking, as first off you can celebrate the day
>> >without buying anyone a card. It's a perfect time to show someone you
>> >care about them, and express the feeling any way you choose. It's always
>> >been a special day for me, and I always make it a special day for my
>> >husband of 53 years.

>> >I bet you don't believe in Santa Clause, or the Easter Bunny either?!
>> ><:))

>> >Judy

>> Nowadays it's ecards. *I no longer send paper cards, they've become
>> ridiculously expensive. *And even the pricy ones are not very good
>> quality anymore, not worth saving. *I used to send some fifty
>> Christmas cards every year but due to attrition and those who haven't
>> reciprocated my list is now down to I think six... and no email addy,
>> no card. *I got tired of spending/wasting hours looking through paper
>> cards at the store and coming up with nothing I felt was fitting, even
>> Hallmark sells crap nowadays, they use terribly cheap card stock *A
>> few people still get hand penned notes on Crane card stock.

http://www.crane.com/home

>Good to know Crane is still in bus, but....I'm afraid to ask. Is it
>made in China now?
>I had a box of business stationery by Crane, bought to write n very
>important life-changing letter-- with real ink -- used it sparingly
>and took 25 years to use last sheet.

Crane produces all their papers in Dalton, MA as they have for more
than 200 years. Crane produces all the paper for US currancy.
http://www.crane.com/customer-service/contact-us?RPL

Cheryl[_3_] 09-02-2012 03:08 AM

On 2/8/2012 2:17 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
> friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?
>
> We use to always get together at my parent's home when they were both
> still living, and I'd always make a special dessert, and usually a salad
> of some kind.
>
> For the past few years my hubby and I go out to our favorite restaurant
> for dinner. They have a special menu just for that day with several
> choices.

I am sans special someone at the mo so I'm just going to make and
decorate a heart shaped layer cake for my work buddies along with using
the heart shaped tart tins I bought at an outlet store, and a heart
shaped cookie cutter that I used to use to mark hearts on cakes to
decorate. So many creative possibilities.

merryb 09-02-2012 04:09 AM

On Feb 8, 7:08*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On 2/8/2012 2:17 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>

> > How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
> > friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?

> > We use to always get together at my parent's home when they were both
> > still living, and I'd always make a special dessert, and usually a salad
> > of some kind.

> > For the past few years my hubby and I go out to our favorite restaurant
> > for dinner. They have a special menu just for that day with several
> > choices.

> I am sans special someone at the mo so I'm just going to make and
> decorate a heart shaped layer cake for my work buddies along with using
> the heart shaped tart tins I bought at an outlet store, and a heart
> shaped cookie cutter that I used to use to mark hearts on cakes to
> decorate. *So many creative possibilities.

Go do something for yourself- pedicures are always a nice thing!

jmcquown[_2_] 09-02-2012 02:06 PM

"news" > wrote in message

> "Judy Haffner" > wrote in message
>>
>> Jill wrote:
>>
>>>Of course I don't. I haven't believed in
>>> Santa Clause since I was a kid. The fact
>>> that my parents had us pick out
>>> Christmas presents from the Sears toy
>>> catalog two months ahead of time, so
>>> they could be shipped to Bangkok in
>>> time for Christmas, pretty much clarified
>>> there was no Jolly Man in a Red Suit.
>>> (Not to mention there was no chimney.
>>> LOL) I don't celebrate Christmas. I hang
>>> a wreath on the door as my nod to the
>>> Winter solstice.

>>>The Easter Bunny? Surely you jest.
>>> Yeah, sure, Jesus rose from the dead so
>>> a bunny could deliver Cadbury cream
>>> eggs and jelly beans in baskets. I don't
>>> think so!

>> Obviously you have never had children? But if you did, life sure
>> couldn't have been much fun around your house for special occasions?

> My kids are doing just fine never having believed in the Easter Bunny
> ,Santa Claus, or the Tooth Fairy. I always said I would never lie to them.

Our parents "lied" to us until the myths no longer stood the test of reason.
There's a fat man in a red suit on every corner ringing a bell. Yeah,
right, Santa Clause has all those helpers and they're shilling for money.
(That, plus I had two older brothers who showed me where the Christmas
presents were hidden.) Not to mention Mom brought home baskets with that
fake grass and we dyed our own hard boiled Easter Eggs and helped her fill
the baskets. The Bunny thing was always a bit of a stretch. The Tooth
Fairy was only good as long as you had baby teeth ;)

Jill

Tara 09-02-2012 03:53 PM

Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

This is not in our plans, but it looks cute and fun -- Valentine's
Day at White Castle:

http://www.whitecastle.com/promotion...ine%27sDay2012

Tara

spamtrap1888 09-02-2012 11:34 PM

On Feb 8, 12:19*pm, "news" > wrote:
> "Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> > Jill wrote:

> >>Of course I don't. I haven't believed in
> >> Santa Clause since I was a kid. The fact
> >> that my parents had us pick out
> >> Christmas presents from the Sears toy
> >> catalog two months ahead of time, so
> >> they could be shipped to Bangkok in
> >> time for Christmas, pretty much clarified
> >> there was no Jolly Man in a Red Suit.
> >> (Not to mention there was no chimney.
> >> LOL) I don't celebrate Christmas. I hang
> >> a wreath on the door as my nod to the
> >> Winter solstice.

> >>The Easter Bunny? Surely you jest.
> >> Yeah, sure, Jesus rose from the dead so
> >> a bunny could deliver Cadbury cream
> >> eggs and jelly beans in baskets. I don't
> >> think so!

> > Obviously you have never had children? But if you did, life sure
> > couldn't have been much fun around your house for special occasions?

> My kids are doing just fine never having believed in the Easter Bunny ,Santa
> Claus, or the Tooth Fairy. I always said I would never lie to them.

So pretending is lying? Thank goodness for reality TV, because
everything else that's on in primetime is a goddammed lie.

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 10-02-2012 02:59 AM

Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

Judy replied to Jill:

>> Valentine's Day is an artificial holiday
>> created by the greeting card companies.
>> It has nothing to do with whether or not
>> you love (or even like) someone. It's
>> designed to make you spend money on
>> greeting cards and, by extension, take
>> someone out to or cook dinner. It's
>> purely commercial and I don't subscribe
>> to it any more than I sit around reading
>> romance novels while sipping mint
>> juleps ;)

> If you are indeed serious about this, I find it a strange analogy,
> unless possibly you have had a bad experience and are bitter about love
> in general.

BINGO! Jill's pretty disgruntled when it comes to romance.

Bob

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 10-02-2012 03:02 AM

Jill wrote:

> Nope, I'm not bitter about love but I think it's a strange holiday given
> that it's on Saint Valentine's Day, said date referring to a bloody
> massacre which took place during Prohibition.

The massacre was named after St. Valentine's Day, not the other way
around. If a massacre took place on December 25th, would you suddenly
believe that "Christmas Day" was named after the Christmas Massacre?
Yeah, you probably would. You really ARE that gullible and ignorant,
aren't you?

Bob

sf[_9_] 10-02-2012 06:20 AM

Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 19:02:41 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

> Jill wrote:
>
> > Nope, I'm not bitter about love but I think it's a strange holiday given
> > that it's on Saint Valentine's Day, said date referring to a bloody
> > massacre which took place during Prohibition.

> The massacre was named after St. Valentine's Day, not the other way
> around. If a massacre took place on December 25th, would you suddenly
> believe that "Christmas Day" was named after the Christmas Massacre?
> Yeah, you probably would. You really ARE that gullible and ignorant,
> aren't you?

I'm pretty sure her tongue was planted firmly in her cheek.

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 10-02-2012 06:37 AM

Bryan wrote:

> I buy a live lobster to cook for my wife. I serve here the tail and
> big claw pieces with lemon butter. Then I too the head and liver, and
> painstakingly remove all the tiny bits of meat from the rest of the
> shell. Then I boil the shells to make broth for soup to serve her the
> next day.

Kinda sad that in this cooking group there are only two people who
intend to cook a special meal on the special occasion that is
Valentine's Day. It's especially sad when you consider that it's one of
the nights when restaurants will be at their *worst*.

Bob

sf[_9_] 10-02-2012 06:47 AM

Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:37:42 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

> Bryan wrote:
>
> > I buy a live lobster to cook for my wife. I serve here the tail and
> > big claw pieces with lemon butter. Then I too the head and liver, and
> > painstakingly remove all the tiny bits of meat from the rest of the
> > shell. Then I boil the shells to make broth for soup to serve her the
> > next day.

> Kinda sad that in this cooking group there are only two people who
> intend to cook a special meal on the special occasion that is
> Valentine's Day. It's especially sad when you consider that it's one of
> the nights when restaurants will be at their *worst*.

For some of us, every night is a special night. Give credit where
credit is due.

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 10-02-2012 07:11 AM

sf wrote:

>> Kinda sad that in this cooking group there are only two people who
>> intend to cook a special meal on the special occasion that is
>> Valentine's Day. It's especially sad when you consider that it's one of
>> the nights when restaurants will be at their *worst*.
>>

> For some of us, every night is a special night. Give credit where
> credit is due.

What are *you* cooking on Valentine's Day?

Bob

Azharuddin 10-02-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judy Haffner (Post 1711920)
How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?

We use to always get together at my parent's home when they were both
still living, and I'd always make a special dessert, and usually a salad
of some kind.

For the past few years my hubby and I go out to our favorite restaurant
for dinner. They have a special menu just for that day with several
choices.

Judy

I am not sure isn't it happening according to the occasion, the menu would be different from the rest of the day.