Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default beating egg whites??

Which is better to use when beating egg whites to a stiff peak: fresh
eggs or older eggs?? TIA.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Which is better to use when beating egg whites to a stiff peak: fresh
> eggs or older eggs?? TIA.

Fresh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 14:19:45 -0600, Sky >
wrote:

> Which is better to use when beating egg whites to a stiff peak: fresh
> eggs or older eggs?? TIA.

I've never given it a second thought and just use what I have. Since
I don't have a copper bowl, I use a little cream of tartar and it
works for me.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Which is better to use when beating egg whites to a stiff peak: fresh
> eggs or older eggs?? TIA.
>
> Sky

I don't know that it makes a difference. What does is temp. Make sure eggs
are at room temp before beating. As well, use either creme of tarter, or
whisk in a copper bowl.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Sky" > wrote in message
>> Which is better to use when beating egg whites to a stiff peak: fresh
>> eggs or older eggs?? TIA.
>>
>> Sky
>>

> I don't know that it makes a difference. What does is temp. Make sure eggs
> are at room temp before beating. As well, use either creme of tarter, or
> whisk in a copper bowl.

I learned to tell the freshness of an egg one of two ways. In the shell put
in water. If it sinks all the way it's fresh. If it floats, it's old.

Crack it and put it on a plate. If the yolk and the white are thin and
spread out, it's old. If they stand up more it's fresh. So it would only
stand to reason that when whipped it would get bigger and/or faster peaks
when fresh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Sky" > wrote in message
>>> Which is better to use when beating egg whites to a stiff peak: fresh
>>> eggs or older eggs?? TIA.
>>>
>>> Sky
>>>

>> I don't know that it makes a difference. What does is temp. Make sure
>> eggs are at room temp before beating. As well, use either creme of
>> tarter, or whisk in a copper bowl.

> I learned to tell the freshness of an egg one of two ways. In the shell
> put in water. If it sinks all the way it's fresh. If it floats, it's
> old.
>
> Crack it and put it on a plate. If the yolk and the white are thin and
> spread out, it's old. If they stand up more it's fresh. So it would only
> stand to reason that when whipped it would get bigger and/or faster peaks
> when fresh.

Great advice! That's the kind of thing you more or less know, but don't
think about when you should.
Thanks much,

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/24/2011 2:19 PM, Sky wrote:
> Which is better to use when beating egg whites to a stiff peak: fresh
> eggs or older eggs?? TIA.
>
> Sky

Chicken eggs. Definitely. :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 12/24/2011 6:39 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 12/24/2011 2:19 PM, Sky wrote:
>> Which is better to use when beating egg whites to a stiff peak: fresh
>> eggs or older eggs?? TIA.

> Chicken eggs. Definitely. :-)

LOL - good one ;D

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 24, 12:08*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 14:19:45 -0600, Sky >
> wrote:
>
> > Which is better to use when beating egg whites to a stiff peak: *fresh
> > eggs or older eggs?? *TIA.

> I've never given it a second thought and just use what I have. *Since
> I don't have a copper bowl, I use a little cream of tartar and it
> works for me.
>
> --
>
> Ham and eggs.
> A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

I used to use a copper bowl but they tarnish too easily and the idea
of mixing food in a bowl coated with that stuff was not an appealing
one. Mostly those bowls are strictly for show.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Fresh, and use an imaculately clean bowl. Copper if you have one.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> Or just beat egg whites in a bowl, any bowl, and it works. Room temp
>> works best.
>>

> Metal bowls work best because they can be cleaned and free of grease. It
> takes almost no fat for egg whites to fail.

I've always used a glass bowl but never had them fail.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > ha scritto nel messaggio

I used to use a copper bowl but they tarnish too easily and the idea
of mixing food in a bowl coated with that stuff was not an appealing
one. Mostly those bowls are strictly for show.

You know the wrong people. All it takes is the lemon rind from some other
dish and a bit of salt. Quick rub and voila! If you wash it regularly,
copper isn't a problem. I find it absolutely worth it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 25, 12:12*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "dsi1" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> I used to use a copper bowl but they tarnish too easily and the idea
> of mixing food in a bowl coated with that stuff was not an appealing
> one. Mostly those bowls are strictly for show.
>
> You know the wrong people. *All it takes is the lemon rind from some other
> dish and a bit of salt. *Quick rub and voila! *If you wash it regularly,
> copper isn't a problem. *I find it absolutely worth it.

I used to do that with pennies when I was a kid. Sure, I'd clean the
bowl before beating egg whites but that got old very fast. I can see
using a copper bowl if I beat eggs manually but with a electric mixer,
I don't see any reason to use copper bowls except maybe to brag about
being able to use copper bowls. I also don't like the idea of copper
compounds in my food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 12/24/2011 2:19 PM, Sky wrote:
>> Which is better to use when beating egg whites to a stiff peak: fresh
>> eggs or older eggs?? TIA.
>>
>> Sky
>>

> Chicken eggs. Definitely. :-)

Ho yes

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 09:08:52 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>>> Fresh, and use an imaculately clean bowl. Copper if you have one.

>> Or just beat egg whites in a bowl, any bowl, and it works. Room temp works
>> best.

>Bad advice. If you have never had them refuse to whip you are lucky. The
>faintest hint of fat and they won't do it. Plastic hides fat so it's better
>to avoid it.

Reasonably intelligent folks don't use plastic bowls for beating
anything in the kitchen, most use stainless steel or glass/ceramic.
What's more important to note is to be absolutely certain not to
permit any yolk in with the whites, a tiny speck will ruin the
merengue attempt.

>The copper bowl creates a bit of acid as the whisk hits it,
>that's why it helps them get higher and lighter, but of course these days
>not so many have a $400 copper bowl.

A $400 copper bowl is foodtv claptrap... one can buy a balloon whisk
made of copper for under $20.
http://tylerflorence.com/shop/featur...per-whisk.html

And no one needs a hand hammered/mirror finish bowl wrought to jewelry
standards... very functional copper bowls are readily available for
under $35:
http://www.amazon.com/Old-Dutch-10-I...4827809&sr=8-3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 25, 4:07*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I've always used a glass bowl but never had them fail.

Me too, age of the egg didn't matter either. I just make sure that
bowl and the beaters are scrupulously clean and all are room
temperature.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Which is better to use when beating egg whites to a stiff peak: fresh
> eggs or older eggs?? TIA.

older

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf sf is offline

On Dec 25, 7:52*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> one can buy a balloon whisk
> made of copper for under $20.http://tylerflorence.com/shop/featur...per-whisk.html

A copper handled whisk? So what. Get back to us when the balloon
part is copper.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Which is better to use when beating egg whites to a stiff peak: fresh
> eggs or older eggs?? TIA.
>
> Sky

Fresh. At room temperature. Older eggs for hard-cooking and easy
peeling.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011