Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Apple Butter in a crockpot?

I remember this being mentioned here before- were you happy with the
results? There is a guy who sets up a truck here along the road once a
week and sells fruit from E. WA. So I bought a 23# box of apples today
and am trying to decide what I want to do with them. I also recently
bought a new oven that has a drying setting on it, so I will think I
will try it on a few instead of getting the dehydrators out of the
rafters in the garage. It also has a proofing setting that I recently
used for pizza dough, and was pleased with the results, so what the
heck!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
>I remember this being mentioned here before- were you happy with the
> results? There is a guy who sets up a truck here along the road once a
> week and sells fruit from E. WA. So I bought a 23# box of apples today
> and am trying to decide what I want to do with them. I also recently
> bought a new oven that has a drying setting on it, so I will think I
> will try it on a few instead of getting the dehydrators out of the
> rafters in the garage. It also has a proofing setting that I recently
> used for pizza dough, and was pleased with the results, so what the
> heck!

HoooBOy! yes. Apple butter in a crockpot is good, good. Be prepared to
bake biscuits and share. When we go out to eat, DH always bypasses all of
the fancy stuff and chooses apple cobbler (by any name or method) with ice
cream on top. More good stuff. As to the bread-proofing ability of your
oven, that is a nice tool. Sometimes bread isn't rising on a convenient
schedule for me and I let the oven proof it a little faster. You do need to
ask the timer to ding and remind you to come check on it. It's easy to
forget. Somethings just are. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 9, 8:20*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> >I remember this being mentioned here before- were you happy with the
> > results? There is a guy who sets up a truck here along the road once a
> > week and sells fruit from E. WA. So I bought a 23# box of apples today
> > and am trying to decide what I want to do with them. I also recently
> > bought a new oven that has a drying setting on it, so I will think I
> > will try it on a few instead of getting the dehydrators out of the
> > rafters in the garage. It also has a proofing setting that I recently
> > used for pizza dough, and was pleased with the results, so what the
> > heck!

> HoooBOy! *yes. *Apple butter in a crockpot is good, good. *Be prepared to
> bake biscuits and share. *When we go out to eat, DH always bypasses all of
> the fancy stuff and chooses apple cobbler (by any name or method) with ice
> cream on top. *More good stuff. *As to the bread-proofing ability of your
> oven, that is a nice tool. *Sometimes bread isn't rising on a convenient
> schedule for me and I let the oven proof it a little faster. *You do need to
> ask the timer to ding and remind you to come check on it. *It's easy to
> forget. *Somethings just are. *Polly

Hope the dryer works as well as the proofer does! As far as timers go,
I usually don't use them- when I was in culinary school, they were
frowned on. Of course, there are exceptions, especially with lots of
stuff going on!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Nov 9, 8:20 pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> >I remember this being mentioned here before- were you happy with the
> > results? There is a guy who sets up a truck here along the road once a
> > week and sells fruit from E. WA. So I bought a 23# box of apples today
> > and am trying to decide what I want to do with them. I also recently
> > bought a new oven that has a drying setting on it, so I will think I
> > will try it on a few instead of getting the dehydrators out of the
> > rafters in the garage. It also has a proofing setting that I recently
> > used for pizza dough, and was pleased with the results, so what the
> > heck!

> HoooBOy! yes. Apple butter in a crockpot is good, good. Be prepared to
> bake biscuits and share. When we go out to eat, DH always bypasses all of
> the fancy stuff and chooses apple cobbler (by any name or method) with ice
> cream on top. More good stuff. As to the bread-proofing ability of your
> oven, that is a nice tool. Sometimes bread isn't rising on a convenient
> schedule for me and I let the oven proof it a little faster. You do need
> ask the timer to ding and remind you to come check on it. It's easy to
> forget. Somethings just are. Polly

Hope the dryer works as well as the proofer does! As far as timers go,
I usually don't use them- when I was in culinary school, they were
frowned on. Of course, there are exceptions, especially with lots of
stuff going on!

Our new range has the sweetest timer; just a gentle little ding-ding-ding.
(The one on the clothes dryer makes me want to stop whatever I'm doing and
come kill somebody.) I don't ever assume that the ding means everything is
done and perfect. It just tells me to come look. Once upon a time I let the
bread rise until it bogged itself into the broiler elements in the roof of
the oven. You don't want to do that. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 9, 8:51*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> On Nov 9, 8:20 pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
>

> > "merryb" > wrote in message

> > >I remember this being mentioned here before- were you happy with the
> > > results? There is a guy who sets up a truck here along the road once a
> > > week and sells fruit from E. WA. So I bought a 23# box of apples today
> > > and am trying to decide what I want to do with them. I also recently
> > > bought a new oven that has a drying setting on it, so I will think I
> > > will try it on a few instead of getting the dehydrators out of the
> > > rafters in the garage. It also has a proofing setting that I recently
> > > used for pizza dough, and was pleased with the results, so what the
> > > heck!

> > HoooBOy! yes. Apple butter in a crockpot is good, good. Be prepared to
> > bake biscuits and share. When we go out to eat, DH always bypasses all of
> > the fancy stuff and chooses apple cobbler (by any name or method) with ice
> > cream on top. More good stuff. As to the bread-proofing ability of your
> > oven, that is a nice tool. Sometimes bread isn't rising on a convenient
> > schedule for me and I let the oven proof it a little faster. You do need
> > ask the timer to ding and remind you to come check on it. It's easy to
> > forget. Somethings just are. Polly

> Hope the dryer works as well as the proofer does! As far as timers go,
> I usually don't use them- when I was in culinary school, they were
> frowned on. Of course, there are exceptions, especially with lots of
> stuff going on!
>
> Our new range has the sweetest timer; just a gentle little ding-ding-ding..
> (The one on the clothes dryer makes me want to stop whatever I'm doing and
> come kill somebody.) *I don't ever assume that the ding means everything is
> done and perfect. *It just tells me to come look. Once upon a time I let the
> bread rise until it bogged itself into the broiler elements in the roof of
> the oven. *You don't want to do that. *Polly

That reminds me of "I Love Lucy" The timer on this oven is not the
best- it goes off okay, but there is no reminder going off every so
often if you don't hear it the first time. It is a Jenn-Air with 2
ovens- a one sheet on top and then a regular sized oven on the bottom,
so no bottom drawer storage. But that's great with me- we usually only
need the smaller oven- it heats up in no time! The bottom one has all
the options- convection, proof, dry...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 9, 10:20*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> >I remember this being mentioned here before- were you happy with the
> > results?

> HoooBOy! *yes. *Apple butter in a crockpot is good, good. **Polly

Recipe?? Pleeeeeeeease.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 10, 10:53*am, ItsJoanNotJoann >
wrote:
> On Nov 9, 10:20*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
>
> > "merryb" > wrote in message

> > >I remember this being mentioned here before- were you happy with the
> > > results?

> > HoooBOy! *yes. *Apple butter in a crockpot is good, good. **Polly

> Recipe?? *Pleeeeeeeease.

This woman does it right.

http://www.southernplate.com/2008/07...le-butter.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 1:03*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Nov 10, 10:53*am, ItsJoanNotJoann >
> wrote:

> > > HoooBOy! *yes. *Apple butter in a crockpot is good, good. **Polly

> > Recipe?? *Pleeeeeeeease.

> This woman does it right.
>
> http://www.southernplate.com/2008/07...le-butter.html

Thanks!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 11:03*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Nov 10, 10:53*am, ItsJoanNotJoann >
> wrote:

> > > HoooBOy! *yes. *Apple butter in a crockpot is good, good. **Polly

> > Recipe?? *Pleeeeeeeease.

> This woman does it right.
>
> http://www.southernplate.com/2008/07...le-butter.html

Thanks, but I don't want to use applesauce. I found a recipe in the
Ball Book of Home Preserving for it, altho it is on the stovetop. I
think I will just use that and babysit it if needed!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 3:52*pm, merryb > wrote:
> On Nov 10, 11:03*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
>

> > On Nov 10, 10:53*am, ItsJoanNotJoann >
> > wrote:

> > > Recipe?? *Pleeeeeeeease.

> > This woman does it right.

> >http://www.southernplate.com/2008/07...le-butter.html

> Thanks, but I don't want to use applesauce. I found a recipe in the
> Ball Book of Home Preserving for it, altho it is on the stovetop. I
> think I will just use that and babysit it if needed!

I made some this fall. Filled the crockpot with cored chunked apples,
added a healthy shot of apple cider and some cinnamon. Turned it on HI
and left it overnight, stirred occasionally. I knew it was done by the
color and adrk, spicy odor. it reduced by half. HTH!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 4:02*pm, Jude > wrote:
> On Nov 10, 3:52*pm, merryb > wrote:
>

> > On Nov 10, 11:03*am, ImStillMags > wrote:

> > > This woman does it right.

> > >http://www.southernplate.com/2008/07...le-butter.html

> > Thanks, but I don't want to use applesauce. I found a recipe in the
> > Ball Book of Home Preserving for it, altho it is on the stovetop. I
> > think I will just use that and babysit it if needed!

> I made some this fall. Filled the crockpot with cored chunked apples,
> added a healthy shot of apple cider and some cinnamon. Turned it on HI
> and left it overnight, stirred occasionally. I knew it was done by the
> color and adrk, spicy odor. it reduced by half. HTH!

Thanks- I'm a bit unsure about leaving it to cook all night, but will
start it early tomorrow as my crockpot tends to run a bit hot, even
set on low.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 20:04:47 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

>I remember this being mentioned here before- were you happy with the
>results? There is a guy who sets up a truck here along the road once a
>week and sells fruit from E. WA. So I bought a 23# box of apples today
>and am trying to decide what I want to do with them. I also recently
>bought a new oven that has a drying setting on it, so I will think I
>will try it on a few instead of getting the dehydrators out of the
>rafters in the garage. It also has a proofing setting that I recently
>used for pizza dough, and was pleased with the results, so what the
>heck!

Last year the wife made a couple of batches of apple butter using the
crockpot. Turned out very, very good. A lot stiffer than
store-bought, so it could be spread thickly.