Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Prefer Canned Or Fresh Cranberry Sauce?

Do you make your own cranberry sauce, or relish, and prefer the fresh
over the canned sauce? If you do like the canned, which do you like
better, the jellied, or whole berry?

I do think making sauce from the fresh berries is best, but we don't
mind the whole berry sauce. I don't care for the jellied at all, but
have a delicious molded fruit salad that I use the jellied in, and that
is real good.

Do you have any favorite dishes you like using cranberries, or cranberry
sauce in? I have a cake that is out of sight, and it has Ocean Spray
cranberry-orange relish in the frosting. I also have a Cranberry Swirl
Cake I made with whole berry sauce, that is sure good.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

like it all for different applications, now cough up those cake recipes, Lee
"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Do you make your own cranberry sauce, or relish, and prefer the fresh
> over the canned sauce? If you do like the canned, which do you like
> better, the jellied, or whole berry?
>
> I do think making sauce from the fresh berries is best, but we don't
> mind the whole berry sauce. I don't care for the jellied at all, but
> have a delicious molded fruit salad that I use the jellied in, and that
> is real good.
>
> Do you have any favorite dishes you like using cranberries, or cranberry
> sauce in? I have a cake that is out of sight, and it has Ocean Spray
> cranberry-orange relish in the frosting. I also have a Cranberry Swirl
> Cake I made with whole berry sauce, that is sure good.
>
> Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:31:42 -0800, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Do you make your own cranberry sauce, or relish, and prefer the fresh
> over the canned sauce? If you do like the canned, which do you like
> better, the jellied, or whole berry?

I have seen cranberry sauce or relish that was (presumably) made fresh in
the deli part of the grocery store. I have never seen canned whole berry
sauce that comes in a can, though I have never really looked for it
either.

It is just that the fresh berry version is too easy - 1c each of water,
sugar, and berries (or proportions something like that), then boil the
mixture until the berries start opening.

Never occurred to me to make cake with cranberries as one of the
ingredients, but once I made tapioca pudding with cranberry juice and I
thought it was pretty good (though orange juice is better, grape juice is
terrible).

I also make a recipe called tapioca creme, the recipe I use is from the
Fannie Farmer cookbook from the 50's or maybe even 40's, though I have
seen basically the same recipe on the boxes of quick-cooking tapioca, on
the internet, and it is presumably in other cookbooks as well.

Basically you follow the same directions as regular tapioca, except you
separate the eggs, make meringue out of the whites, and fold the meringue
in after the rest of the mixture cools.

I make this recipe with frozen strawberries (the kind that are frozen in
a big clump, not the kind that are frozen individually). Making it with
the cranberry sauce might be worth trying.

Brian Christiansen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Do you make your own cranberry sauce, or relish, and prefer the fresh
> over the canned sauce? If you do like the canned, which do you like
> better, the jellied, or whole berry?
>
> I do think making sauce from the fresh berries is best, but we don't
> mind the whole berry sauce. I don't care for the jellied at all, but
> have a delicious molded fruit salad that I use the jellied in, and that
> is real good.
>
> Do you have any favorite dishes you like using cranberries, or cranberry
> sauce in? I have a cake that is out of sight, and it has Ocean Spray
> cranberry-orange relish in the frosting. I also have a Cranberry Swirl
> Cake I made with whole berry sauce, that is sure good.

I'm not big on cranberry sauce at all but have never had any homemade that I
liked. So if I'm going to eat it, it would be a bite of the canned. Either
jellied or whole berry. Doesn't matter.

I make cranberry salad once or twice a year. No real recipe. Chopped fresh
berries mixed with sweetener of choice. Chopped celery and whole pecans.
Zest from a couple of oranges. Just enough sugar free orange Jell-O to hold
it together.

I also like cranberry bread but haven't had any in years. Too many carbs
for me now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:18:27 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

> I made a cranberry upside down cake that was delicious.

Just out of curiosity, are the cranberries in place of the pineapples,
are they mixed into the batter, or what?

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/17/2011 2:31 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Do you make your own cranberry sauce, or relish, and prefer the fresh
> over the canned sauce? If you do like the canned, which do you like
> better, the jellied, or whole berry?
>
> I do think making sauce from the fresh berries is best, but we don't
> mind the whole berry sauce. I don't care for the jellied at all, but
> have a delicious molded fruit salad that I use the jellied in, and that
> is real good.
>
> Do you have any favorite dishes you like using cranberries, or cranberry
> sauce in? I have a cake that is out of sight, and it has Ocean Spray
> cranberry-orange relish in the frosting. I also have a Cranberry Swirl
> Cake I made with whole berry sauce, that is sure good.
>
> Judy

My DH is diabetic so I make fresh cranberry sauce for him using the
recipe on the bag but Splenda instead of sugar and a touch of nutmeg,
cinnamon and cloves. Just a teeny bit of spices - not enough so you
would taste them, but just enough to enhance the flavor.

We like cranberry sauce with roast chicken and such so I buy the large
bags and freeze them. They work just as well as fresh.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:18:27 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> I made a cranberry upside down cake that was delicious.

Oh, I like that idea! Got a link to post?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/17/2011 2:31 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Do you have any favorite dishes you like using cranberries, or cranberry
> sauce in? I have a cake that is out of sight, and it has Ocean Spray
> cranberry-orange relish in the frosting. I also have a Cranberry Swirl
> Cake I made with whole berry sauce, that is sure good.

I made this last year for Thanksgiving and it was a hit. Easy, too.

Nantucket Cranberry Pie

Serving Size : 8

2 cups chopped fresh cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups sugar -- divided
2 eggs
3/4 cup butter -- melted
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon almond extract

Spread the cranberries, walnuts and 1/2 cup sugar in the bottom of a 9"
or 10" cake pan (or skillet or anything else you might have lying
around).

Mix the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl to form a batter.
Pour the batter over the cranberry mixture and bake in an oven preheated
to 350 for around 40 minutes. Cool a bit in the pan, and enjoy.

"More like a cobbler"
Source:
"From Laurie Colwin's More Home Cooking"

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:18:27 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

> I made a cranberry upside down cake that was delicious.

Is the recipe something like this:
http://www.food.com/recipe/cranberry...wn-cake-196715

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/17/2011 5:57 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 10/17/2011 2:31 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>>
>> Do you make your own cranberry sauce, or relish, and prefer the fresh
>> over the canned sauce? If you do like the canned, which do you like
>> better, the jellied, or whole berry?
>>
>> I do think making sauce from the fresh berries is best, but we don't
>> mind the whole berry sauce. I don't care for the jellied at all, but
>> have a delicious molded fruit salad that I use the jellied in, and that
>> is real good.
>>
>> Do you have any favorite dishes you like using cranberries, or cranberry
>> sauce in? I have a cake that is out of sight, and it has Ocean Spray
>> cranberry-orange relish in the frosting. I also have a Cranberry Swirl
>> Cake I made with whole berry sauce, that is sure good.
>>
>> Judy
>>

> My DH is diabetic so I make fresh cranberry sauce for him using the
> recipe on the bag but Splenda instead of sugar and a touch of nutmeg,
> cinnamon and cloves. Just a teeny bit of spices - not enough so you
> would taste them, but just enough to enhance the flavor.
>
> We like cranberry sauce with roast chicken and such so I buy the large
> bags and freeze them. They work just as well as fresh.

I like cranberry sauce made from real berries. I'll admit that my recipe
includes orange jello!

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:04:24 +0000 (UTC), Brian
> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:18:27 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
>

> > I made a cranberry upside down cake that was delicious.

> Is the recipe something like this:
> http://www.food.com/recipe/cranberry...wn-cake-196715

That looks good enough to try, Brian! Now I have two to do this
coming cranberry season.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:

>I'm not big on cranberry sauce at all but have never had any homemade that I
>liked. So if I'm going to eat it, it would be a bite of the canned. Either
>jellied or whole berry. Doesn't matter.
>
>I make cranberry salad once or twice a year. No real recipe. Chopped fresh
>berries mixed with sweetener of choice. Chopped celery and whole pecans.
>Zest from a couple of oranges. Just enough sugar free orange Jell-O to hold
>it together.
>
>I also like cranberry bread but haven't had any in years. Too many carbs
>for me now.

This'll get ya berry sauced!
Best Thanksgiving cocktail; Crantini
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recip...-martinis.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 18:08:44 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> It was a recipe in a magazine, I think. I can't even remember which
> one, probably Fine Cooking or Sunset. If I can find it, I'll post the
> recipe.

Looking forward to seeing it! If you ever do find it, just scan and
post as an image.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 2:31*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Do you make your own cranberry sauce, or relish, and prefer the fresh
> over the canned sauce? If you do like the canned, which do you like
> better, the jellied, or whole berry?

After eating that canned crap for years, and somehow knowing that
there was something much better but suffering through the
disappointment of that canned crap for years, my family finally
rediscovered fresh cranberry sauce! And it's so easy and delicious!
The recipe's right on the bag which cranberries come in too. Sugar,
water and cranberries! Easy peasy, cheap and vastly better than that
canned crap!

Who sold us that canned crap in the first pace? Never again!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/10/2011 3:31 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Do you make your own cranberry sauce, or relish, and prefer the fresh
> over the canned sauce? If you do like the canned, which do you like
> better, the jellied, or whole berry?
>
> I do think making sauce from the fresh berries is best, but we don't
> mind the whole berry sauce. I don't care for the jellied at all, but
> have a delicious molded fruit salad that I use the jellied in, and that
> is real good.
>
> Do you have any favorite dishes you like using cranberries, or cranberry
> sauce in? I have a cake that is out of sight, and it has Ocean Spray
> cranberry-orange relish in the frosting. I also have a Cranberry Swirl
> Cake I made with whole berry sauce, that is sure good.

I love real cranberry sauce. I don't consider that stuff in a can to be
cranberry sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/10/2011 5:18 PM, Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
>made ahead and refrigerated, too.
>
>> Never occurred to me to make cake with cranberries as one of the
>> ingredients, but once I made tapioca pudding with cranberry juice and I
>> thought it was pretty good (though orange juice is better, grape juice is
>> terrible).

> I made a cranberry upside down cake that was delicious.

There is a local donut shop chain that has mediocre donuts and dishwater
coffee, but they have great cranberry carrot muffins.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 8:51*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Oct 17, 2:31*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:> Do you make your own cranberry sauce, or relish, and prefer the fresh
> > over the canned sauce? If you do like the canned, which do you like
> > better, the jellied, or whole berry?

> After eating that canned crap for years, and somehow knowing that
> there was something much better but suffering through the
> disappointment of that canned crap for years, my family finally
> rediscovered fresh cranberry sauce! And it's so easy and delicious!
> The recipe's right on the bag which cranberries come in too. Sugar,
> water and cranberries! Easy peasy, cheap and vastly better than that
> canned crap!
>
> Who sold us that canned crap in the first pace? Never again!

Canned cranberry sauce isn't horrible like canned asparagus, spinach
or peas, but you're correct that making it from fresh berries is way
better, and it's really easy.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Canned jellied sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 21:54:50 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I don't consider that stuff in a can to be cranberry sauce.

Snob.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:02:20 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I made this last year for Thanksgiving and it was a hit. Easy, too.
>
> Nantucket Cranberry Pie

Thanks for the reminder! I meant to make it last year and never did.
Maybe I'll do it this year. Do you serve it with ice cream or whipped
cream?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/17/2011 8:08 PM, Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:18:27 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I made a cranberry upside down cake that was delicious.

>> Oh, I like that idea! Got a link to post?

> It was a recipe in a magazine, I think. I can't even remember which
> one, probably Fine Cooking or Sunset. If I can find it, I'll post the
> recipe.

have used this one. I like it because it doesn't start with a box of
cake mix.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cranberry Upside-Down Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : cakes

4 ounces butter
8 ounces butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup cranberry juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups fresh or quick frozen cranberries
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Melt the 4 ounces of butter in a nonstick, ovenproof 9-inch skillet .
Add the brown sugar, juice and spices and stir until sugar dissolves and
liquid is bubbly. Chill mixture, add the cranberries, and set aside.

In a small pan, melt 8 ounces of butter. Remove from the heat and add
the milk and egg. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add
the milk mixture and whisk until smooth. Pour this mixture over the
cranberries in the skillet. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick
comes out clean.
Let cake cool in pan for about 15 minutes then turn out onto plate
(fruit will be on top and juice will be dripping down) and serve slices
with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Source:
"foodnetwork.com"
S(URL):

"http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tanya-holland/cranberry-upside-down-cake-recipe/index.html"

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/17/2011 11:28 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:02:20 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> I made this last year for Thanksgiving and it was a hit. Easy, too.
>>
>> Nantucket Cranberry Pie

> Thanks for the reminder! I meant to make it last year and never did.
> Maybe I'll do it this year. Do you serve it with ice cream or whipped
> cream?

Whipped cream, but ice cream would be good, too.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 9:16*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Oct 17, 8:51*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>
> > On Oct 17, 2:31*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:> Do you make your own cranberry sauce, or relish, and prefer the fresh
> > > over the canned sauce? If you do like the canned, which do you like
> > > better, the jellied, or whole berry?

> > After eating that canned crap for years, and somehow knowing that
> > there was something much better but suffering through the
> > disappointment of that canned crap for years, my family finally
> > rediscovered fresh cranberry sauce! And it's so easy and delicious!
> > The recipe's right on the bag which cranberries come in too. Sugar,
> > water and cranberries! Easy peasy, cheap and vastly better than that
> > canned crap!

> > Who sold us that canned crap in the first pace? Never again!

> Canned cranberry sauce isn't horrible like canned asparagus, spinach
> or peas, but you're correct that making it from fresh berries is way
> better, and it's really easy.
>

> > John Kuthe...

> --Bryan

I always found an unpleasant kind of a dry bitterness aftertaste to
canned cranberry sauce, which the fresh stuff totally lacks.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:47:36 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Cranberry Upside-Down Cake

Thanks, Janet! Saved.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2011 12:01 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:47:36 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Cranberry Upside-Down Cake

> Thanks, Janet! Saved.

My pleasure.

What's the sense of collecting all these recipes if I don't share them
with others?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:31:42 -0800 in rec.food.cooking,
(Judy Haffner) wrote,
>Do you have any favorite dishes you like using cranberries, or cranberry
>sauce in?

With curry or Indian food, cranberry sauce in lieu of chutney.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:02:20 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 10/17/2011 2:31 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>
>> Do you have any favorite dishes you like using cranberries, or cranberry
>> sauce in? I have a cake that is out of sight, and it has Ocean Spray
>> cranberry-orange relish in the frosting. I also have a Cranberry Swirl
>> Cake I made with whole berry sauce, that is sure good.
>>

>I made this last year for Thanksgiving and it was a hit. Easy, too.
>
> Nantucket Cranberry Pie
>

>Serving Size : 8
>
> 2 cups chopped fresh cranberries
> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
> 1 1/2 cups sugar -- divided
> 2 eggs
> 3/4 cup butter -- melted
> 1 cup flour
> 1 teaspoon almond extract
>
>Spread the cranberries, walnuts and 1/2 cup sugar in the bottom of a 9"
>or 10" cake pan (or skillet or anything else you might have lying
>around).
>
> Mix the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl to form a batter.
>Pour the batter over the cranberry mixture and bake in an oven preheated
>to 350 for around 40 minutes. Cool a bit in the pan, and enjoy.

> "More like a cobbler"
>Source:
> "From Laurie Colwin's More Home Cooking"

I know I made that sometime and it was delicious.
I ran across this cranberry white chocolate cheesecake while I was
looking for my post on the Nantucket pie.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...heesecake.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/2byfjqp

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

that sounds wonderful, bet it would rock with other fruits as well, Lee
"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 10/17/2011 2:31 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>
>> Do you have any favorite dishes you like using cranberries, or cranberry
>> sauce in? I have a cake that is out of sight, and it has Ocean Spray
>> cranberry-orange relish in the frosting. I also have a Cranberry Swirl
>> Cake I made with whole berry sauce, that is sure good.
>>

> I made this last year for Thanksgiving and it was a hit. Easy, too.
>
> Nantucket Cranberry Pie
>

> Serving Size : 8
>
> 2 cups chopped fresh cranberries
> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
> 1 1/2 cups sugar -- divided
> 2 eggs
> 3/4 cup butter -- melted
> 1 cup flour
> 1 teaspoon almond extract
>
> Spread the cranberries, walnuts and 1/2 cup sugar in the bottom of a 9" or
> 10" cake pan (or skillet or anything else you might have lying
> around).
>
> Mix the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl to form a batter. Pour
> the batter over the cranberry mixture and bake in an oven preheated to 350
> for around 40 minutes. Cool a bit in the pan, and enjoy.

> "More like a cobbler"
> Source:
> "From Laurie Colwin's More Home Cooking"
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy wrote:

> Do you make your own cranberry sauce, or relish, and prefer the fresh
> over the canned sauce? If you do like the canned, which do you like
> better, the jellied, or whole berry?

I like homemade a lot better. This year, though, I'll be making a
cranberry-hibiscus dipping sauce instead of plain cranberry sauce.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In article >,
> Brian > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:18:27 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
>>
>>> I made a cranberry upside down cake that was delicious.

>> Just out of curiosity, are the cranberries in place of the pineapples,
>> are they mixed into the batter, or what?

> It was in place of the pineapple, I guess. The flavor of the topping
> didn't remind me of pineapple upside down cake at all. There was a
> little cinnamon in it, which I was skeptical about at first, but I used
> it sparingly and i used that Ceylon cinnamon which has a citrus
> undertone to it, and it was quite good.

How did you keep the cranberries from floating up through the
cake? I recently tried adding some cranberries to an apple
upside-down cake, and that's what they did.

(This was an unremarkable first stab at the recipe.)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In article >, "Jean B." >
> wrote:
>
>> Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

>>> It was in place of the pineapple, I guess. The flavor of the topping
>>> didn't remind me of pineapple upside down cake at all. There was a
>>> little cinnamon in it, which I was skeptical about at first, but I used
>>> it sparingly and i used that Ceylon cinnamon which has a citrus
>>> undertone to it, and it was quite good.
>>>

>> How did you keep the cranberries from floating up through the
>> cake? I recently tried adding some cranberries to an apple
>> upside-down cake, and that's what they did.
>>
>> (This was an unremarkable first stab at the recipe.)

> I didn't have to do anything special. I just made the brown
> sugar/butter mixture in the pan, put the cranberries in and poured the
> batter over it. There might have been one or two that drifted, but I
> don't remember that being the case.

I wonder why the vast majority of my carefully placed cranberries
did drift up through the cake while yours did not. Odd. I was
NOT most pleased. If I wanted cranberries in the batter, I would
have used much more than the few that I did use.

--
Jean B.