Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gas grilling: Top open or closed

Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often wondered if I
should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent results either
way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
wondered. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often wondered
> if I
> should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent results
> either
> way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
> wondered. Thanks.

I use the ten minute rule. If it is a quick cook, leave the lid up. If it
is a longer cooking item, put the lid down. Weber recommends lid down for
just about everything. Lid down is more efficient as it keeps all the
heat in that you paid for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often wondered
> if I
> should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent results
> either
> way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
> wondered. Thanks.

IMHO

How much heat do you want to escape?
What are you grilling?
Opening the grill top encourages flames.
Closing he grill top encourages smoke.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 08:11:39 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 02:01:41 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> This has been discussed quite a lot on alt.food.barbecue.

>No, it hasn't been "discussed". You just won't shut up about it.
>You're the only one "discussing" it with yourself.
>
>Everybody else can sear a steak just fine except for you, Kent.

The guy's a piece of work.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 06:10:36 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often wondered
> > if I
> > should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent results
> > either
> > way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
> > wondered. Thanks.

> I use the ten minute rule. If it is a quick cook, leave the lid up. If it
> is a longer cooking item, put the lid down. Weber recommends lid down for
> just about everything. Lid down is more efficient as it keeps all the
> heat in that you paid for.

Key words: "just about". Lid down is good for cooking meat all the
way through, not for charring rare meat.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 13:53:44 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Sep 6, 12:46*am, wrote:
>> Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often wondered if I
>> should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent results either
>> way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
>> wondered. Thanks.

>Whenever I have cooked meats that were of a tender cut, I always left
>the grill open. Having said that, I closed the grill, when warming it
>up to get it hot enough to accept the meat. Now, in hindsight, I'd
>like to try and grill with the lid down. The heat is hotter, and
>there is more smoke. Also, my uncle always cooked over his gas grill
>with the lid down, including rib eyes...They were pretty good. The
>following applies only somewhat...I have done new york strip loins, T-
>bones, inside in a frying pan...this way...I got the pan hot as a
>mother.

What means this "hot as a mother"?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 06:10:36 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>

>> > wrote in message
>> > Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often
>> > wondered
>> > if I
>> > should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent
>> > results
>> > either
>> > way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
>> > wondered. Thanks.

>> I use the ten minute rule. If it is a quick cook, leave the lid up. If
>> it
>> is a longer cooking item, put the lid down. Weber recommends lid down
>> for
>> just about everything. Lid down is more efficient as it keeps all the
>> heat in that you paid for.

> Key words: "just about". Lid down is good for cooking meat all the
> way through, not for charring rare meat.

Right on!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often wondered
> > if I
> > should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent results
> > either
> > way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
> > wondered. Thanks.

> I use the ten minute rule. If it is a quick cook, leave the lid up. If it
> is a longer cooking item, put the lid down. Weber recommends lid down for
> just about everything. Lid down is more efficient as it keeps all the
> heat in that you paid for.

I'm not so sure that economy of heat is the most important factor in
grilling ...

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 6, 8:49*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 13:53:44 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
>

> > wrote:
> >On Sep 6, 12:46 am, wrote:
> >> Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often wondered if I
> >> should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent results either
> >> way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
> >> wondered. Thanks.

> >Whenever I have cooked meats that were of a tender cut, I always left
> >the grill open. *Having said that, I closed the grill, when warming it
> >up to get it hot enough to accept the meat. *Now, in hindsight, I'd
> >like to try and grill with the lid down. *The heat is hotter, and
> >there is more smoke. *Also, my uncle always cooked over his gas grill
> >with the lid down, including rib eyes...They were pretty good. *The
> >following applies only somewhat...I have done new york strip loins, T-
> >bones, inside in a frying pan...this way...I got the pan hot as a
> >mother.

> What means this "hot as a mother"? *

It means really hot. 'As a mother' is just a slang term that can be
applied elsewhere as well. For example: 'Yesterday was cold as a
mother.' I think that you can say this: 'as a mother' = really.
'Yesterday was really cold.'
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/7/2011 4:49 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Sep 6, 8:49 pm, Brooklyn1<Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 13:53:44 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love

>>> following applies only somewhat...I have done new york strip loins, T-
>>> bones, inside in a frying pan...this way...I got the pan hot as a
>>> mother.

>> What means this "hot as a mother"?

> It means really hot. 'As a mother' is just a slang term that can be
> applied elsewhere as well. For example: 'Yesterday was cold as a
> mother.' I think that you can say this: 'as a mother' = really.
> 'Yesterday was really cold.'

Heh. Something like that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often wondered
> if I
> should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent results
> either
> way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
> wondered. Thanks.

I keep the grill closed, but I watch the temperature closely. You have to
really work the knobs.

small burgers: 450F, 5 minutes on each side
big burgers or regular steaks: 425F, 6 minutes on each side
big steaks: 400F, 7 minutes on each side

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
>> Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often wondered
>> if I
>> should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent results
>> either
>> way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
>> wondered. Thanks.

> I keep the grill closed, but I watch the temperature closely. You have to
> really work the knobs.
>
> small burgers: 450F, 5 minutes on each side
> big burgers or regular steaks: 425F, 6 minutes on each side
> big steaks: 400F, 7 minutes on each side
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

With your big steak regimen, you're baking, not grilling.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Christopher M." > wrote in message
>> > wrote in message
>>> Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often
>>> wondered if I
>>> should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent results
>>> either
>>> way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
>>> wondered. Thanks.

>> I keep the grill closed, but I watch the temperature closely. You have to
>> really work the knobs.
>>
>> small burgers: 450F, 5 minutes on each side
>> big burgers or regular steaks: 425F, 6 minutes on each side
>> big steaks: 400F, 7 minutes on each side
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>>

> With your big steak regimen, you're baking, not grilling.
>
> Kent

I think it's more like roasting than baking.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote in message

>>> I keep the grill closed, but I watch the temperature closely. You have
>>> to really work the knobs.
>>>
>>> small burgers: 450F, 5 minutes on each side
>>> big burgers or regular steaks: 425F, 6 minutes on each side
>>> big steaks: 400F, 7 minutes on each side
>>>

>>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>>>

>> With your big steak regimen, you're baking, not grilling.
>>
>> Kent

> I think it's more like roasting than baking.
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

I'd buy that. I was wondering whether to use the term "roast" or "bake".

Cheers, Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 7, 10:50*am, "Christopher M." > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often wondered
> > if I
> > should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent results
> > either
> > way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
> > wondered. Thanks.

> I keep the grill closed, but I watch the temperature closely. You have to
> really work the knobs.

Hey...this is a family group.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 6, 5:49*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 13:53:44 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
>

> > wrote:
> >On Sep 6, 12:46 am, wrote:
> >> Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often wondered if I
> >> should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent results either
> >> way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
> >> wondered. Thanks.

> >Whenever I have cooked meats that were of a tender cut, I always left
> >the grill open. *Having said that, I closed the grill, when warming it
> >up to get it hot enough to accept the meat. *Now, in hindsight, I'd
> >like to try and grill with the lid down. *The heat is hotter, and
> >there is more smoke. *Also, my uncle always cooked over his gas grill
> >with the lid down, including rib eyes...They were pretty good. *The
> >following applies only somewhat...I have done new york strip loins, T-
> >bones, inside in a frying pan...this way...I got the pan hot as a
> >mother.

> What means this "hot as a mother"? *

What...are you like 12?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 6, 9:33*pm, isw > wrote:
> In article >,
> *"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
> > > wrote in message
> .. .
> > > Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often wondered
> > > if I
> > > should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent results
> > > either
> > > way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
> > > wondered. Thanks.

> > I use the ten minute rule. *If it is a quick cook, leave the lid up. *If it
> > is a longer cooking item, put the lid down. *Weber recommends lid down for
> > just about everything. * *Lid down is more efficient as it keeps all the
> > heat in that you paid for.

> I'm not so sure that economy of heat is the most important factor in
> grilling ...
>
> Isaac

If you can afford to grill then you can afford the heat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 11:23:42 -0700, "Kent" >
wrote:

> I'd buy that. I was wondering whether to use the term "roast" or "bake".

Roast meat, bake bread.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 12:03:11 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 11:23:42 -0700, "Kent" >
>wrote:
>
>> I'd buy that. I was wondering whether to use the term "roast" or "bake".

>Roast meat, bake bread.

Baked chicken, baked fish... roast and bake are used synonymously
Senior Member

Location: WI

I don't use the gas grill much anymore; but it is quick and easy. I lid down when I grill chicken ( I go as low as I can get, though). Steaks I never grill..caste iron, baby. I'm a homemade charcoal kinda guy. really easy to do if you have a fire pit in your back yard. When I'm making mega amounts of chicken, though, i sue a very clean (so the fat doesn't flame) gas grill. Okat for brats and that, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2011 3:03 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 11:23:42 -0700, >
> wrote:
>
>> I'd buy that. I was wondering whether to use the term "roast" or "bake".

> Roast meat, bake bread.

But what do you do to a meatloaf?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 04:52:39 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 9/9/2011 3:03 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 11:23:42 -0700, >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I'd buy that. I was wondering whether to use the term "roast" or "bake".

> > Roast meat, bake bread.
> >

> But what do you do to a meatloaf?

I put it in the oven.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 04:52:39 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/9/2011 3:03 PM, sf wrote:

>> > Roast meat, bake bread.
>> >

>> But what do you do to a meatloaf?

> I put it in the oven.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

One of the best meatloaf I ever made was on the grill In a cast iron pan
with cut up potatoes. Oh, and lid closed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2011 12:53 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 04:52:39 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/9/2011 3:03 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Roast meat, bake bread.
>>>

>> But what do you do to a meatloaf?

> I put it in the oven.

When I was working full time and feeding a pack of teenagers, I found a
way to make meatloaf in the microwave that worked really well. I used a
glass pie plate with an inverted custard cup in the center. Made a
meatloaf ring. Covered it with a can of tomato sauce, which is what I do
when I make one in the oven and no one knew the difference other than
dinner was on the table and not still in the oven.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often wondered
> if I
> should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent results
> either
> way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
> wondered. Thanks.

I think the manufacturers of all gas grills intend that all grilling is with
the hood down. That's why you can't adjust the degree that the cover is
open. You can't step it up, unless you use your own method of proping the
cover open.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 01:49:31 -0700, "Kent" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often wondered
>> if I
>> should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent results
>> either
>> way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
>> wondered. Thanks.
>>

>I think the manufacturers of all gas grills intend that all grilling is with
>the hood down.

Show us.
From reading your nonsense you don't own a grill, never have, and
never used one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I think the manufacturers of all gas grills intend that all grilling is with
> the hood down. That's why you can't adjust the degree that the cover is
> open. You can't step it up, unless you use your own method of proping the
> cover open.

Even the barrel smoker shaped charcoal grills are built that way.
It's all or nothing.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 01:49:31 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
>> I think the manufacturers of all gas grills intend that all grilling is
>> with
>> the hood down. That's why you can't adjust the degree that the cover is
>> open. You can't step it up, unless you use your own method of proping the
>> cover open.

> Even the barrel smoker shaped charcoal grills are built that way.
> It's all or nothing.
>
> --

Yes, I just reread my Weber Performer manual. The last sentence says "close
the lid" after you've done everything else. There's no written option to
grill without the lid. We've all done that on our own!

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 01:49:31 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> Although I've been grilling for years on a gas grill, I've often
>>> wondered
>>> if I
>>> should be doing it with the top up or down. I seem to get decent results
>>> either
>>> way, but with the top down, is the food baking more than grilling? Just
>>> wondered. Thanks.
>>>

>>I think the manufacturers of all gas grills intend that all grilling is
>>with
>>the hood down.

> Show us.
> From reading your nonsense you don't own a grill, never have, and
> never used one.

Weber Performer, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Genesis, all in a row.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:32:00 -0700, "Kent" >
wrote:

> Weber Performer, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Genesis, all in a row.

Somebody gave me a link to a barbecue website today and I found
http://smokenator.com/ on it. You might be interested. Or are
you only using gas now?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 01:49:31 -0700, "Kent" >
>> wrote:

>>>I think the manufacturers of all gas grills intend that all grilling is
>>>with
>>>the hood down.

>> Show us.
>> From reading your nonsense you don't own a grill, never have, and
>> never used one.
>>

>Weber Performer, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Genesis, all in a row.

Lamborghini Aventador, Porsche 911 GT2 RS, Rolls-Royce Phantom
Drophead Coupé, all in a row.

Next. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 04:52:39 -0400, Cheryl >
>> wrote:

>>> But what do you do to a meatloaf?

>> I put it in the oven.
>>
>> --
>> I love cooking with wine.
>> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

> One of the best meatloaf I ever made was on the grill In a cast iron pan
> with cut up potatoes. Oh, and lid closed.

Have you tried the new grill baskets?

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 01:49:31 -0700, "Kent" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I think the manufacturers of all gas grills intend that all grilling is
>>> with
>>> the hood down. That's why you can't adjust the degree that the cover is
>>> open. You can't step it up, unless you use your own method of proping
>>> the
>>> cover open.

>> Even the barrel smoker shaped charcoal grills are built that way.
>> It's all or nothing.
>>
>> --
>>

> Yes, I just reread my Weber Performer manual. The last sentence says
> "close the lid" after you've done everything else. There's no written
> option to grill without the lid. We've all done that on our own!

Some people prop the lid open a little. But you need an oven mitt when you
lift the handle.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote in message

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> I put it in the oven.
>>>
>>> --
>>> I love cooking with wine.
>>> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

>> One of the best meatloaf I ever made was on the grill In a cast iron pan
>> with cut up potatoes. Oh, and lid closed.

> Have you tried the new grill baskets?
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

With a basket, the potatoes would not get the advantage of the fat in the
pan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Christopher M." > wrote in message

>>> One of the best meatloaf I ever made was on the grill In a cast iron
>>> pan with cut up potatoes. Oh, and lid closed.

>> Have you tried the new grill baskets?
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>>

> With a basket, the potatoes would not get the advantage of the fat in the
> pan.

That's true.

I saw a recipe where someone grilled potatoes cut into chips. It was in a
Gourmet grilling magazine. I've never thought about grilling a potato
before. Looks good.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)