Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cheese from Costco

Went to Costco yesterday and picked up a 2lb block of aged cheddar
cheese. The brand is Kerrydale Reserve and it is from Ireland. Cost
was $5.99 and it is some of the best sharp cheddar I've ever had.
And...what a buy!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
> Went to Costco yesterday and picked up a 2lb block of aged cheddar
> cheese. The brand is Kerrydale Reserve and it is from Ireland. Cost
> was $5.99 and it is some of the best sharp cheddar I've ever had.
> And...what a buy!!

I always buy my cheese there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:
> Went to Costco yesterday and picked up a 2lb block of aged cheddar
> cheese. The brand is Kerrydale Reserve and it is from Ireland. Cost
> was $5.99 and it is some of the best sharp cheddar I've ever had.
> And...what a buy!!

Great price! 2 lbs for $5.99 or do you mean $5.99/pound?

A Costco is being built near me. I belong to Sam's Club already, so I am
not sure what I'll do when Costco opens. I hear they're a notch up from
Sam's Club.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Chemo the Clown wrote:
> > Went to Costco yesterday and picked up a 2lb block of aged cheddar
> > cheese. The brand is Kerrydale Reserve and it is from Ireland. Cost
> > was $5.99 and it is some of the best sharp cheddar I've ever had.
> > And...what a buy!!

> Great price! 2 lbs for $5.99 or do you mean $5.99/pound?
>
> A Costco is being built near me. I belong to Sam's Club already, so I am
> not sure what I'll do when Costco opens. I hear they're a notch up from
> Sam's Club.

I have both Sam's and Costco memberships. I have a Sam's 10 minutes away
from me, but the nearest Costco is about an hour but is on a route I get
to about once a month. There is a fair amount of overlap between the
two, but Costco does seem to be a bit better on many items quality wise.
If they were equidistant from me I would probably drop Sam's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 22:23:38 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 17:13:50 -0400, Goomba wrote:
>
>> A Costco is being built near me. I belong to Sam's Club already, so I am
>> not sure what I'll do when Costco opens. I hear they're a notch up from
>> Sam's Club.

>CostCo carries quality. Sams doesn't.

Bullshit. Only the dwarf would think canned beans at Sams are
different from those sold at Costco. All those big box stores carry
the same low end to medioce food products, none are gourmet... they
don't even sell decent bread... that's why he eats that low end white
bread I'd be ashamed to feed critters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 22:23:38 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 17:13:50 -0400, Goomba wrote:
> >
> >> A Costco is being built near me. I belong to Sam's Club already, so I am
> >> not sure what I'll do when Costco opens. I hear they're a notch up from
> >> Sam's Club.

> >CostCo carries quality. Sams doesn't.

> Bullshit. Only the dwarf would think canned beans at Sams are
> different from those sold at Costco. All those big box stores carry
> the same low end to medioce food products, none are gourmet... they
> don't even sell decent bread... that's why he eats that low end white
> bread I'd be ashamed to feed critters.

I'm afraid I have to generally agree with Sqwertz. I have both Sam's and
Costco memberships and while there are many products that are common to
both, Costco typically has higher end products and a larger selection of
specialty food items. Even for some of the items that are in common
there are differences, such as Classico pasta sauce where both carry
3pks of Classico, Sam's carries just the tomato/basil sauce, while
Costco has a mixed variety 3pk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:34:39 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>Went to Costco yesterday and picked up a 2lb block of aged cheddar
>cheese. The brand is Kerrydale Reserve and it is from Ireland. Cost
>was $5.99 and it is some of the best sharp cheddar I've ever had.
>And...what a buy!!

I'll agree, it's great cheese but, you got a fantastic buy.
We purchased some at our local Costco (Southern Ontario, Canada) and,
although I can't remember the exact price, I know it was more than
$5.99 and that was for a 250 gram piece.
We're going to Costco tomorrow so I'll be sure to check.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Ross@home
wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:34:39 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> > wrote:
>
> >Went to Costco yesterday and picked up a 2lb block of aged cheddar
> >cheese. The brand is Kerrydale Reserve and it is from Ireland. Cost
> >was $5.99 and it is some of the best sharp cheddar I've ever had.
> >And...what a buy!!

> I'll agree, it's great cheese but, you got a fantastic buy.
> We purchased some at our local Costco (Southern Ontario, Canada) and,
> although I can't remember the exact price, I know it was more than
> $5.99 and that was for a 250 gram piece.
> We're going to Costco tomorrow so I'll be sure to check.
>
> Ross.

I love that cheese, but at my Costco it's $5.99 a pound, not a block.
The two pound bricks are $11.98 Still quite a bit less expensive than
the cheese shop for the same brand of cheese.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-28, Marcella Peek > wrote:

> I love that cheese, but at my Costco it's $5.99 a pound, not a block.
> The two pound bricks are $11.98 Still quite a bit less expensive than
> the cheese shop for the same brand of cheese.

How long has it been aged?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Chemo the Clown wrote:
>> Went to Costco yesterday and picked up a 2lb block of aged cheddar
>> cheese. The brand is Kerrydale Reserve and it is from Ireland. Cost
>> was $5.99 and it is some of the best sharp cheddar I've ever had.
>> And...what a buy!!

>Great price! 2 lbs for $5.99 or do you mean $5.99/pound?
>
>A Costco is being built near me. I belong to Sam's Club already, so I am
>not sure what I'll do when Costco opens. I hear they're a notch up from
>Sam's Club.

We had memberships to both but, unfortunately Sam's didn't last too
long in Canada. I guess they couldn't compete with Costco up here.
There was some overlap in products but, Sam's had some items that we
liked and can no longer get.
Also, Sam's had some unbelievable mark downs that Costco doesn't
offer.
One example, Sam's had a couple of skids of Lexmark wireless 4 in 1
printers for $38.00 that were complete with full size XL ink
cartridges. Those printers cost less than a pair of the same
cartridges for my printer so I bought three printers.
We did save considerably more than the cost of membership at both
places and while we do shop regularly at Costco, there are things
about Sam's that we miss.

Ross.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2011 11:13 AM, Goomba wrote:
> Chemo the Clown wrote:
>> Went to Costco yesterday and picked up a 2lb block of aged cheddar
>> cheese. The brand is Kerrydale Reserve and it is from Ireland. Cost
>> was $5.99 and it is some of the best sharp cheddar I've ever had.
>> And...what a buy!!

> Great price! 2 lbs for $5.99 or do you mean $5.99/pound?
>
> A Costco is being built near me. I belong to Sam's Club already, so I am
> not sure what I'll do when Costco opens. I hear they're a notch up from
> Sam's Club.

My suggestion is that you get the Costco membership early on because
you'll have less competition from other shoppers until the membership
builds up. I bought a membership to Sam's Club just so I could get some
tires. I hate to buy tires from Costco because they're so busy and you
have to wait so long.

I think that Costco has a better selection of stuff but the truth is
that I'd just go to whichever one is nearer or more convenient.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2011 6:34 AM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> Went to Costco yesterday and picked up a 2lb block of aged cheddar
> cheese. The brand is Kerrydale Reserve and it is from Ireland. Cost
> was $5.99 and it is some of the best sharp cheddar I've ever had.
> And...what a buy!!

I bought some Dubliner cheese from Costco and it was tasty. It was about
9 bucks for 2lbs. I got the one with ale and it had crunchy crystals in
it. Neat!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> A Costco is being built near me. I belong to Sam's Club already, so I am
> not sure what I'll do when Costco opens. I hear they're a notch up from
> Sam's Club.

To me most of the difference was the distance to the store. Once I got
there it was mostly variation by brand carrying much the same sort of
items. When we moved closer to Sams we ended up letting our Costco
membership lapse. Then another move where Costco was closer we let our
Sams carb lapse and switched back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<Ross@home> wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:34:39 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> > wrote:
>
>>Went to Costco yesterday and picked up a 2lb block of aged cheddar
>>cheese. The brand is Kerrydale Reserve and it is from Ireland. Cost
>>was $5.99 and it is some of the best sharp cheddar I've ever had.
>>And...what a buy!!

> I'll agree, it's great cheese but, you got a fantastic buy.
> We purchased some at our local Costco (Southern Ontario, Canada) and,
> although I can't remember the exact price, I know it was more than
> $5.99 and that was for a 250 gram piece.
> We're going to Costco tomorrow so I'll be sure to check.
>
> Ross.

I've tried that Kerrygold from my local Costco but Balderson's is at least
as good and Costco sells large lumps of that.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:03:21 -0600, "graham" > wrote:

snip

>I've tried that Kerrygold from my local Costco but Balderson's is at least
>as good and Costco sells large lumps of that.
>Graham

Balderson's??? I haven't seen that. I'll watch for it.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<Ross@home> wrote:
> One example, Sam's had a couple of skids of Lexmark wireless 4 in 1
> printers for $38.00 that were complete with full size XL ink
> cartridges. Those printers cost less than a pair of the same
> cartridges for my printer so I bought three printers.
> We did save considerably more than the cost of membership at both
> places and while we do shop regularly at Costco, there are things
> about Sam's that we miss.
>
> Ross.

I have noticed Costco has reduced the shelf space in half for printer inks.
If the trend is like me who now owns an iPad or other touch device,
printing anything is becoming obsolete. The ink on both of my printers have
dried up. I will not be replacing them. If I need something printed which
is unlikely, I will go to Office Max or the local library.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 22:23:38 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> CostCo carries quality. Sams doesn't.

>> Bullshit. Only the dwarf would think canned beans at Sams are
>> different from those sold at Costco. All those big box stores carry
>> the same low end to medioce food products, none are gourmet... they
>> don't even sell decent bread... that's why he eats that low end white
>> bread I'd be ashamed to feed critters.

> I'm afraid I have to generally agree with Sqwertz. I have both Sam's and
> Costco memberships and while there are many products that are common to
> both, Costco typically has higher end products and a larger selection of
> specialty food items. Even for some of the items that are in common
> there are differences, such as Classico pasta sauce where both carry
> 3pks of Classico, Sam's carries just the tomato/basil sauce, while
> Costco has a mixed variety 3pk.

Pasta sauce in a jar is high quality food?

I think I will stick to the produce store for quality. I like Costco for
the junk foods like: Hersey candy bars, Milky Ways, Snickers... My mistake
snickers is a high quality candy bar. Sometimes a case of Gatorade... Yes,
I love junk foods and Costco's specializes in junk foods

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:03:21 -0600, "graham" > wrote:
>
> snip
>
>>I've tried that Kerrygold from my local Costco but Balderson's is at least
>>as good and Costco sells large lumps of that.
>>Graham
>>

> Balderson's??? I haven't seen that. I'll watch for it.
> Janet US

Sorry, Janet! This Canuck was replying to another and Balderson's might not
be available S of the border as it's an Ontario company. This is a pity
since they sell 1, 2, 3 and 5yr old cheddars and probably make the 9yr old
cheddar that a local (Calgary) cheese shop sells.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nad R wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote:
> > Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> Bullshit. Only the dwarf would think canned beans at Sams are
> >> different from those sold at Costco. All those big box stores carry
> >> the same low end to medioce food products, none are gourmet... they
> >> don't even sell decent bread... that's why he eats that low end white
> >> bread I'd be ashamed to feed critters.

> > I'm afraid I have to generally agree with Sqwertz. I have both Sam's and
> > Costco memberships and while there are many products that are common to
> > both, Costco typically has higher end products and a larger selection of
> > specialty food items. Even for some of the items that are in common
> > there are differences, such as Classico pasta sauce where both carry
> > 3pks of Classico, Sam's carries just the tomato/basil sauce, while
> > Costco has a mixed variety 3pk.

> Pasta sauce in a jar is high quality food?

Classico brand is.

> I think I will stick to the produce store for quality. I like Costco for
> the junk foods like: Hersey candy bars, Milky Ways, Snickers... My mistake
> snickers is a high quality candy bar. Sometimes a case of Gatorade... Yes,
> I love junk foods and Costco's specializes in junk foods

The produce section as well as the meat section of the Costcos I've been
to (3 or 4) have all been top notch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 19:42:26 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:

> I have noticed Costco has reduced the shelf space in half for printer inks.
> If the trend is like me who now owns an iPad or other touch device,
> printing anything is becoming obsolete. The ink on both of my printers have
> dried up. I will not be replacing them. If I need something printed which
> is unlikely, I will go to Office Max or the local library.

Neither one of my kids have printers (at home) either, but I think
they're still a must. I'd still rather read my recipe from a piece of
paper instead of the computer, but I'm thinking that some kind of
tablet might be nice to have. I'd want to be able to upload my
newsreader to it, but I don't know enough about them yet to know if I
can or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 19:42:26 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> > wrote:
>
>> I have noticed Costco has reduced the shelf space in half for printer
>> inks.
>> If the trend is like me who now owns an iPad or other touch device,
>> printing anything is becoming obsolete. The ink on both of my printers
>> have
>> dried up. I will not be replacing them. If I need something printed which
>> is unlikely, I will go to Office Max or the local library.

> Neither one of my kids have printers (at home) either, but I think
> they're still a must. I'd still rather read my recipe from a piece of
> paper instead of the computer, but I'm thinking that some kind of
> tablet might be nice to have. I'd want to be able to upload my
> newsreader to it, but I don't know enough about them yet to know if I
> can or not.

I either print off or type up recipes and print them too. I keep a file in
my kitchen and I work on those recipes. As I am working on them I write
notes onto the print outs until I am happy and then type them up again and
then they are done pint them off again and they are kept in a 'good' file.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 19:42:26 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:

><Ross@home> wrote:
>> One example, Sam's had a couple of skids of Lexmark wireless 4 in 1
>> printers for $38.00 that were complete with full size XL ink
>> cartridges. Those printers cost less than a pair of the same
>> cartridges for my printer so I bought three printers.
>> We did save considerably more than the cost of membership at both
>> places and while we do shop regularly at Costco, there are things
>> about Sam's that we miss.
>>
>> Ross.

>I have noticed Costco has reduced the shelf space in half for printer inks.
>If the trend is like me who now owns an iPad or other touch device,
>printing anything is becoming obsolete.

Just curious, but why would you print so much less that you could do
away with a printer altogether? I have an iPad and an Android phone,
but still print things all the time. Damn if I am going to plop either
unit on the kitchen counter with a recipe or hand one off for a list
of meds at one of my doc visits.

>The ink on both of my printers have
>dried up. I will not be replacing them. If I need something printed which
>is unlikely, I will go to Office Max or the local library.

Long walk.

We print and scan all the time - fax, too. Not everyone can use
electronic transfer of data all the time.

And here at the office we print scan and fax a lot, also. In fact,
there is a repairman here right now replacing the fuser on an old
workhorse of an HP 5Si.

Ain't nothing paperless about my house or my office.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nad R wrote:

> <Ross@home> wrote:
> > One example, Sam's had a couple of skids of Lexmark wireless 4 in 1
> > printers for $38.00 that were complete with full size XL ink
> > cartridges. Those printers cost less than a pair of the same
> > cartridges for my printer so I bought three printers.
> > We did save considerably more than the cost of membership at both
> > places and while we do shop regularly at Costco, there are things
> > about Sam's that we miss.
> >
> > Ross.

> I have noticed Costco has reduced the shelf space in half for printer inks.
> If the trend is like me who now owns an iPad or other touch device,
> printing anything is becoming obsolete. The ink on both of my printers have
> dried up. I will not be replacing them. If I need something printed which
> is unlikely, I will go to Office Max or the local library.

Perhaps a little potting soil brushes off an ipad ok, but I sure would
not want to use an expensive tablet device in my workshop. Disposable
printed copies of reference materials are far easier to use when you're
rebuilding a tractor or working on a truck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:13:08 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> Classico brand is.

I like Classico too. I used their sun dried tomato pesto for pizza
red sauce and always had one on hand, but now my local grocery stores
don't carry it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:46:19 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 22:23:38 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>> >CostCo carries quality. Sams doesn't.

>> Bullshit. Only the dwarf would think canned beans at Sams are
>> different from those sold at Costco. All those big box stores carry
>> the same low end to medioce food products, none are gourmet... they
>> don't even sell decent bread... that's why he eats that low end white
>> bread I'd be ashamed to feed critters.

>I'm afraid I have to generally agree with Sqwertz. I have both Sam's and
>Costco memberships and while there are many products that are common to
>both, Costco typically has higher end products and a larger selection of
>specialty food items. Even for some of the items that are in common
>there are differences, such as Classico pasta sauce where both carry
>3pks of Classico, Sam's carries just the tomato/basil sauce, while
>Costco has a mixed variety 3pk.

RU NUTZ? It's exactly the same friggin' JARRED sauce... just a
different flavor... and next week they will switch. Classico JARRED
sauce is slop no matter the flavor or where purchased.

Btw, finally, after listening to all the tawk today I tried Ro-Tel Hot
diced tomatos w/habaneros, the first time I tried a Ro-Tel product...
they SUCK! They're hot (too hot for me) but are devoid of any flavor
whatsoever, the quality of the tomatoes is awful, not even close to
red ripe, half the dice are smushed, too much skin and seeds, and very
watery, no flavor, just HOT! Great Value (Walmart brand) Fire
Roasted Tex Mex Style Diced Tomatoes are much better in every respect,
excellent quality tomatoes (fire roasted makes a huge improvement),
not all smushed, and in tomato puree instead of watery... contains
onion, garlic, and instead of habanero it contains jalapeno and
anaheim peppers, very flavorful, I enjoyed these... especially since
the can is 25% larger and Walmart's costs half as much as Ro-Tel.
Ro-Tel is a crap product, I won't be buying it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 16:57:27 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

snip
Great Value (Walmart brand) Fire
>Roasted Tex Mex Style Diced Tomatoes are much better in every respect,
>excellent quality tomatoes (fire roasted makes a huge improvement),
>not all smushed, and in tomato puree instead of watery... contains
>onion, garlic, and instead of habanero it contains jalapeno and
>anaheim peppers, very flavorful, I enjoyed these... especially since
>the can is 25% larger and Walmart's costs half as much as Ro-Tel.
>Ro-Tel is a crap product, I won't be buying it again.

I'll give them a try.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 21:30:39 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

snip

>I either print off or type up recipes and print them too. I keep a file in
>my kitchen and I work on those recipes. As I am working on them I write
>notes onto the print outs until I am happy and then type them up again and
>then they are done pint them off again and they are kept in a 'good' file.
>--

I do similar especially for those recipes I use often. It's easier to
cook from a paper copy.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 21:30:39 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
> snip
>>
>>I either print off or type up recipes and print them too. I keep a file
>>in
>>my kitchen and I work on those recipes. As I am working on them I write
>>notes onto the print outs until I am happy and then type them up again and
>>then they are done pint them off again and they are kept in a 'good' file.
>>--

> I do similar especially for those recipes I use often. It's easier to
> cook from a paper copy.

It sure is for me.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2011 4:06 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I'll give them a try.
> Janet US

The original Rotel or mild Rotel work best for most people's uses. I
like the Hatch brand, when I can find it. The store brands are pretty good.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 16:33:25 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

>On 6/28/2011 4:06 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I'll give them a try.
>> Janet US

>The original Rotel or mild Rotel work best for most people's uses. I
>like the Hatch brand, when I can find it. The store brands are pretty good.
>
>Becca

What do you mean by Hatch brand? A named brand from Hatch NM or do
you mean Rotel with Hatch chilies.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:46:19 -0500, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>

> >Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> Bullshit. Only the dwarf would think canned beans at Sams are
> >> different from those sold at Costco. All those big box stores carry
> >> the same low end to medioce food products, none are gourmet... they
> >> don't even sell decent bread... that's why he eats that low end white
> >> bread I'd be ashamed to feed critters.

> >I'm afraid I have to generally agree with Sqwertz. I have both Sam's and
> >Costco memberships and while there are many products that are common to
> >both, Costco typically has higher end products and a larger selection of
> >specialty food items. Even for some of the items that are in common
> >there are differences, such as Classico pasta sauce where both carry
> >3pks of Classico, Sam's carries just the tomato/basil sauce, while
> >Costco has a mixed variety 3pk.

> RU NUTZ? It's exactly the same friggin' JARRED sauce... just a
> different flavor... and next week they will switch. Classico JARRED
> sauce is slop no matter the flavor or where purchased.

I take it you've never actually tried the Classico sauces. Even the
sauce snobs I know think it's decent. As for flavors and switching, no
what has been carried in Sam's and Costco has been consistent for a
number of years. I prefer Costco with the mixed variety 3pk.

> Btw, finally, after listening to all the tawk today I tried Ro-Tel Hot
> diced tomatos w/habaneros, the first time I tried a Ro-Tel product...
> they SUCK! They're hot (too hot for me) but are devoid of any flavor

Perhaps you should try the original Ro-Tel, not the much more recent
over-hot habanero version. When people refer to Ro-Tel they are
generally referring to the original which isn't bad. Of course when they
refer to Ro-Tel they are often referring to mixing it with Velveta as a
dip, which is bad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Bullshit. Only the dwarf would think canned beans at Sams are
>> different from those sold at Costco. All those big box stores carry
>> the same low end to medioce food products, none are gourmet... they
>> don't even sell decent bread... that's why he eats that low end white
>> bread I'd be ashamed to feed critters.

>Bullshit, indeed. CostCo sells excellent fresh baked bread from La
>Brea bakery, baked in store.

If it's baked in store it ain't from La Brea... you MORON... as if La
Brea is anything to write home about, a ****ing putrid tar pit in
LA... if that shit Wonder wanna be white bread in your pix is any
example you should just STFU.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 16:54:07 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

>Goomba wrote:
>>
>> A Costco is being built near me. I belong to Sam's Club already, so I am
>> not sure what I'll do when Costco opens. I hear they're a notch up from
>> Sam's Club.

>To me most of the difference was the distance to the store. Once I got
>there it was mostly variation by brand carrying much the same sort of
>items. When we moved closer to Sams we ended up letting our Costco
>membership lapse. Then another move where Costco was closer we let our
>Sams carb lapse and switched back.

That's what most folks with an IQ do, choose the store that's
geographically feasible, all those kinda stores sell the same products
same as intelligent folks buy from the local 'lectric company.. as if
'lectric from the next county is somehow more gourmet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote:
> Nad R wrote:
>>
>> <Ross@home> wrote:
>>> One example, Sam's had a couple of skids of Lexmark wireless 4 in 1
>>> printers for $38.00 that were complete with full size XL ink
>>> cartridges. Those printers cost less than a pair of the same
>>> cartridges for my printer so I bought three printers.
>>> We did save considerably more than the cost of membership at both
>>> places and while we do shop regularly at Costco, there are things
>>> about Sam's that we miss.
>>>
>>> Ross.

>> I have noticed Costco has reduced the shelf space in half for printer inks.
>> If the trend is like me who now owns an iPad or other touch device,
>> printing anything is becoming obsolete. The ink on both of my printers have
>> dried up. I will not be replacing them. If I need something printed which
>> is unlikely, I will go to Office Max or the local library.

> Perhaps a little potting soil brushes off an ipad ok, but I sure would
> not want to use an expensive tablet device in my workshop. Disposable
> printed copies of reference materials are far easier to use when you're
> rebuilding a tractor or working on a truck.

I have done just that
It is amazing that I down loaded the user manual for my riding zero turn
lawnmower in my garage last month. The paper user manual lacked that vital
update for getting the right part for repairs.

GOD! (Using the name in Vain) what a bunch of wimps here. I bet you buy
jewelry and never wear it. Just keep it in a safe because someone might
steal it or lose it or damage it...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > wrote:

> Just curious, but why would you print so much less that you could do
> away with a printer altogether? I have an iPad and an Android phone,
> but still print things all the time. Damn if I am going to plop either
> unit on the kitchen counter with a recipe or hand one off for a list
> of meds at one of my doc visits.

Any document I have on my computer can be stored and read on my iPad. I do
not even need to plug it in the computer. Document transfers are via wifi.
My iPad can control my main apple computer.

The iPad fits perfectly on my kitchen counter. Is your kitchen counter that
small?
I keep the iPad in a case when in the kitchen. The cookie dough splatters
on it has cleaned up ok so far

>> The ink on both of my printers have
>> dried up. I will not be replacing them. If I need something printed which
>> is unlikely, I will go to Office Max or the local library.

> Long walk.

Short Drive if needed, which is unlikely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 19:42:26 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> > wrote:
>
>> I have noticed Costco has reduced the shelf space in half for printer inks.
>> If the trend is like me who now owns an iPad or other touch device,
>> printing anything is becoming obsolete. The ink on both of my printers have
>> dried up. I will not be replacing them. If I need something printed which
>> is unlikely, I will go to Office Max or the local library.

> Neither one of my kids have printers (at home) either, but I think
> they're still a must. I'd still rather read my recipe from a piece of
> paper instead of the computer, but I'm thinking that some kind of
> tablet might be nice to have. I'd want to be able to upload my
> newsreader to it, but I don't know enough about them yet to know if I
> can or not.

This message is sent from "NewsTap" for the iPad.

I get my newspapers on my iPad. Read my books and yes dozens of recipes and
how to cook and bake apps. I can watch Alton Brown shows as a I making
something in the kitchen. I can also take my iPad out to the garden to
compare plant information and plant problems. My Wifi is good for about 150
feet from my home.

As I get older, I find that the small print on many books is just getting
harder to read. With the iPad I can enlarge the text so I can easily read
the recipes from a short distance. Now where did I put those Bifocals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:06:34 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I'll give them a try.

The only time I've used it is when making the famous King Ranch
Chicken casserole and I haven't thought one way or the other about
heat, so it's not too hot for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

very different product lines, with some cross over, best advantage sis they
are one of the cleanest stores i have ever been in, Lee
"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Chemo the Clown wrote:
>> Went to Costco yesterday and picked up a 2lb block of aged cheddar
>> cheese. The brand is Kerrydale Reserve and it is from Ireland. Cost
>> was $5.99 and it is some of the best sharp cheddar I've ever had.
>> And...what a buy!!

> Great price! 2 lbs for $5.99 or do you mean $5.99/pound?
>
> A Costco is being built near me. I belong to Sam's Club already, so I am
> not sure what I'll do when Costco opens. I hear they're a notch up from
> Sam's Club.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nad R wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote:
> > Nad R wrote:

> >> I have noticed Costco has reduced the shelf space in half for printer inks.
> >> If the trend is like me who now owns an iPad or other touch device,
> >> printing anything is becoming obsolete. The ink on both of my printers have
> >> dried up. I will not be replacing them. If I need something printed which
> >> is unlikely, I will go to Office Max or the local library.

> > Perhaps a little potting soil brushes off an ipad ok, but I sure would
> > not want to use an expensive tablet device in my workshop. Disposable
> > printed copies of reference materials are far easier to use when you're
> > rebuilding a tractor or working on a truck.

> I have done just that
> It is amazing that I down loaded the user manual for my riding zero turn
> lawnmower in my garage last month. The paper user manual lacked that vital
> update for getting the right part for repairs.

I have a PC in my shop which happens to be my CNC controller for my CNC
mini mill and my CNC plasma cutter. It's on a cart and I can go over and
lookup stuff on it if needed (after wiping my hands), and I can print
out docs as needed. A tablet type device would get destroyed pretty
quickly if I tried to use it on any of my work benches / tables or on my
full sized mill tables as I frequently do with printed copies of prints.

> GOD! (Using the name in Vain) what a bunch of wimps here. I bet you buy
> jewelry and never wear it. Just keep it in a safe because someone might
> steal it or lose it or damage it...

I do not own a single piece of jewelry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> Nad R wrote:

> > Pasta sauce in a jar is high quality food?

> Classico brand is.

It's not bad at all. Sure, if I want to cook/slave for hours I can
make better, but I've no problem with the jarred version they have.

> The produce section as well as the meat section of the Costcos I've
> been to (3 or 4) have all been top notch.

Happy with my BJ's here.