Sell by versus expiration date

Old 16-06-2011, 12:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sell by versus expiration date

I hardly ever see an expiration date on food anymore. So, what's the difference
between the "sell by" date and the "expiration" date? I'm especially concerned
with eggs and milk but also about other foods once they're opened. Thanks.
Old 16-06-2011, 12:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 4:26*pm, wrote:
I hardly ever see an expiration date on food anymore. So, what's the difference
between the "sell by" date and the "expiration" date? I'm especially concerned
with eggs and milk *but also about other foods once they're opened. Thanks.

Eat smarter and you won't have to worry.
Old 16-06-2011, 02:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
I hardly ever see an expiration date on food anymore. So, what's the
difference
between the "sell by" date and the "expiration" date? I'm especially
concerned
with eggs and milk but also about other foods once they're opened.
Thanks.

The sell by date is when they have to pull it off the shelf if it hasn't
sold. It may or may not be good at that point. If you have it at home it's
up to you to decide whether or not to use it. Most milk is still good 7
days after you open them.

Eggs are easy to tell if they are fresh or not. Put one in water. If it
sinks, it's still good. If it floats, toss it.

Once you open something it can go bad quickly. But it depends on what it
is. Here's some info.:

http://www.fmi.org/consumer/foodkeeper/brochure.cfm

Old 16-06-2011, 03:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 6:44*pm, Chemo the Clown wrote:
On Jun 15, 4:26*pm, wrote:

I hardly ever see an expiration date on food anymore. So, what's the difference
between the "sell by" date and the "expiration" date? I'm especially concerned
with eggs and milk *but also about other foods once they're opened. Thanks.

Eat smarter and you won't have to worry.

They have a food bank at my work. They weed out any donations of
canned goods that are past date, and I just got a bunch of cans of
Swanson Broth, and also some cans of off brand (anything other than
Swanson) broth. Even the off brand stuff is fairly decent for boiling
potatoes for mashed potatoes. The Swanson is good for other uses as
well. Eggs are good for months past their "sell by" date as long as
they're kept refrigerated, though the yolks are more fragile when
they're old. Milk never gets anywhere near its date in this house.

--Bryan
Old 16-06-2011, 05:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 7:26*pm, wrote:
I hardly ever see an expiration date on food anymore. So, what's the difference
between the "sell by" date and the "expiration" date? I'm especially concerned
with eggs and milk *but also about other foods once they're opened. Thanks.

Think of a "sell by" date as a "best by" date. The food is still
perfectly good to eat but the quality may not be as good.
Old 16-06-2011, 05:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 4:26 pm, wrote:

I hardly ever see an expiration date on food anymore. So, what's
the difference between the "sell by" date and the "expiration"
date? I'm especially concerned with eggs and milk but also about
other foods once they're opened. Thanks.

Eat smarter and you won't have to worry.

They have a food bank at my work. They weed out any donations of
canned goods that are past date, and I just got a bunch of cans of
Swanson Broth, and also some cans of off brand (anything other than
Swanson) broth. Even the off brand stuff is fairly decent for boiling
potatoes for mashed potatoes. The Swanson is good for other uses as
well. Eggs are good for months past their "sell by" date as long as
they're kept refrigerated, though the yolks are more fragile when
they're old. Milk never gets anywhere near its date in this house.

Curious about how you make your mashed potatoes. I used to boil them in
salted water, then add broth intead of milk and olive oil instead of butter.
I thought they were good but SIL (that's sister in law for you Andy) thought
they tasted weird.