Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Alton Brown jerky

Alton uses a fan with no heater to dry the meat. The recipe doesn't say
anything about cooking, and neither do many others. Some call for a
dehydrator and merely 'recommend' that it has a heater. Isn't cooking
mandatory?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2011 1:16 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> Alton uses a fan with no heater to dry the meat. The recipe doesn't say
> anything about cooking, and neither do many others. Some call for a
> dehydrator and merely 'recommend' that it has a heater. Isn't cooking
> mandatory?
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

From what I know it isn't. The main consideration when making jerky is
to make sure you get a uniform low moisture content. Then nasties can't
grow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 1:54*pm, George > wrote:
> On 6/5/2011 1:16 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:> Alton uses a fan with no heater to dry the meat. *The recipe doesn't say
> > anything about cooking, and neither do many others. *Some call for a
> > dehydrator and merely 'recommend' that it has a heater. *Isn't cooking
> > mandatory?

> >http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ky-recipe/inde...

> *From what I know it isn't. The main consideration when making jerky is
> to make sure you get a uniform low moisture content. Then nasties can't
> grow.

Why is it called "jerky"? After all, mummies don't jerk.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2011 7:16 AM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> Alton uses a fan with no heater to dry the meat. The recipe doesn't say
> anything about cooking, and neither do many others. Some call for a
> dehydrator and merely 'recommend' that it has a heater. Isn't cooking
> mandatory?
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

All the directions for jerky that I've seen call for air drying, no
cooking. I've made jerky in the oven at low temperatures but that's only
to speed up the drying. The simplest way to make jerky is to salt and
pepper the meat and lay it out in the sun. My guess is that most folks
will make a screen enclosure to keep out critters.

I suspect that pork jerky might be cooked because the texture seems to
be different.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Tom Del Rosso" > wrote:

> Alton uses a fan with no heater to dry the meat. The recipe doesn't say
> anything about cooking, and neither do many others. Some call for a
> dehydrator and merely 'recommend' that it has a heater. Isn't cooking
> mandatory?

I've made a lot of jerky out of venison and some from duck. It's been
twenty five years since my last batch. My memory is foggy, except I
sliced the meat to about 1/8 inch, brined it with salt and a bit of soy
sauce for about a day, coarse peppered hell out of it to discourage
flies and hung it in the garage over fishing line during the fall when
temps didn't freeze much nor heat up to much more than seventy F. There
was no cooking. It took one to two weeks hanging out of direct sunlight
in our dry climate. I never saw a fly come close to it.
Puddle ducks make much better jerky than diving ducks from my
experience. Avoid a Ruddy Duck.
I did it. It was good. I'm alive. However, your milage may vary.
I quit making jerky when I quit shooting deer. I didn't quit shooting
deer for any moral reason.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

the sanitation is what would bother me, and i think shink might have a jerky
for the cats, i know she gives hers some kind, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Leonard Blaisdell > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> "Tom Del Rosso" > wrote:
>>
>> > Alton uses a fan with no heater to dry the meat. The recipe doesn't
>> > say
>> > anything about cooking, and neither do many others. Some call for a
>> > dehydrator and merely 'recommend' that it has a heater. Isn't cooking
>> > mandatory?

>> I've made a lot of jerky out of venison and some from duck. It's been
>> twenty five years since my last batch. My memory is foggy, except I
>> sliced the meat to about 1/8 inch, brined it with salt and a bit of soy
>> sauce for about a day, coarse peppered hell out of it to discourage
>> flies and hung it in the garage over fishing line during the fall when
>> temps didn't freeze much nor heat up to much more than seventy F. There
>> was no cooking. It took one to two weeks hanging out of direct sunlight
>> in our dry climate. I never saw a fly come close to it.
>> Puddle ducks make much better jerky than diving ducks from my
>> experience. Avoid a Ruddy Duck.
>> I did it. It was good. I'm alive. However, your milage may vary.
>> I quit making jerky when I quit shooting deer. I didn't quit shooting
>> deer for any moral reason.
>>
>> leo

> Home made jerky is generally the best and not all full of the crap they
> tend to put in jerky for people.
>
> This is my favorite commercial jerky and it comes in chicken and duck,
> has no chemical additives, sugar, salt or Nitrates, and is about 1/2 the
> price of jerky for humans. I'm buying a different brand of the duck
> right now at pet smart for $17.00 for 2 lbs.
>
> It's delicious and the dogs get to have some too. ;-)
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Smokehouse-Nat...eats/dp/B0017T
> X3VG>
>
> Or <http://tinyurl.com/3hvhkpt>
>
> It really is nothing but pure dried meat.
>
> The dogs love it so much they have come to expect it as treats and look
> at me mournfully if I offer them any other kind. ;-) Even they know the
> difference between quality and crap, altho' that surprises me a bit
> knowing what dogs will sometimes consume. <g>
>
> I wish they made a similar pure cat treat but this stuff is too tough
> for the cats to chew.
>
> I hate peppered jerky. When we home made it, we used teryaki sauce and
> sometimes a bit of pure maple syrup and used a dehydrator. I've made
> jerky from beef, venison and emu.
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> -- Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/6/2011 10:31 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> the sanitation is what would bother me, and i think shink might have a jerky
> for the cats, i know she gives hers some kind, Lee

An article I read a long time ago on making Jerky had some old coot's
recommendation that you apply lots of pepper to the meat so as to hide
the fly droppings. The alternative was to build a screened dryer which
is probably the way to go if you're not some kind of sun-crazed mountain
man. As always, it's probably best to ignore whatever goofy contraption
Alton Brown cooks up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jerky recipes (was Alton Brown jerky)

I make jerky for hubby who loves it. I marinade beef in stuff like honey,
soy sauce, garlic, oil and herbs etc. I then dry it in my dehydrator.

Anyone care to share their favourite recipes?

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 7, 7:02*am, zxcvbob > wrote:

so, what kind of dehydrator do you have....

I'm thinking of getting one.

Any of you with dehydrators have recommendations? I dont' need a big
expensive set up...just something that stores easily that I can do
small amounts of stuff at a time in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 6/7/2011 5:53 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> I make jerky for hubby who loves it. I marinade beef in stuff like
> honey, soy sauce, garlic, oil and herbs etc. I then dry it in my
> dehydrator.
>
> Anyone care to share their favourite recipes?

Alas, I haven't made jerky in a long time. But, when I do, I get a
whole, inexpensive beef roast (I forget what sort of cut) and ask the
store butcher to cut it into very thin slices approximately 2- to 3-mm
thick (less than 1/8") - and I show them the bottom side of a (finger)
ring to demonstrate the thickness.

Then, the beef slices get marinated in a mixture of 1/2-n-1/2 water and
soy sauce with a wee bit of Liquid Smoke for about 24-hours or so in the
refrigerator. After marinating, the liquid gets drained & discarded,
and each slice gets thoroughly dried between paper towels, which tends
to use a whole roll.

To dry the jerky, each slice gets individually draped directly over two
rungs of the racks in the oven (I have extra oven racks just for this
purpose). By hanging the slices over two rungs, this prevents the
dangling portions of the raw beef from touching each other during the
desiccation process. The oven light is kept on to help increase the
ambient temperature in the oven. The oven also gets turned on briefly
for a couple of minutes every few hours or so (whenever) to help raise
the oven's temperature a little bit - this is optional. One word of
caution, when the oven is briefly turned on, DO NOT WALK AWAY <vbg>!!!!
I learned this the hard way and ended up 'cooking' the jerky instead,
which is not desirable! After a couple of days, the jerky is ready for
consumption

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> so, what kind of dehydrator do you have....

Garage sale used for five bucks. Extra trays, different garage sale,
also five bucks. Ten dollars and some clean up. That's the kind we had
for a while.

The current one is the christmas gift model. ;^) American Harvester I
think.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I think she was referring to the pet jerky I was talking about. <g>

Pet jerky. *Way* too easy to read *that* phrase the wrong way.

Speaking of reading the wrong way - I looked at the subject line and
thought "Okay. I prefer calling him funny but I'll go for phrasing it
that way. Matter of personal tastes I guess".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Where do you think the weevils in your pantries come from? The eggs
> are already in the food products.

At one point there was a company that bred predator insects to add to
silos of whole grain. The tiger bugs would patrol the grain looking for
grazing bugs and eat them. Net result a lot less insect parts. But
since it was actively adding insects to grain they couldn't get
commercial licensing when they tried to move from pilot project to
wholesale marketing.

I guess they were "them-goods" put in to eat the "we-evils". Nah, too
hard to pronounce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger > wrote:

>ImStillMags wrote:
>>
>> so, what kind of dehydrator do you have....

>Garage sale used for five bucks. Extra trays, different garage sale,
>also five bucks. Ten dollars and some clean up. That's the kind we had
>for a while.

Popular brand. I've had the same set for a decade or so. They work.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

i rarely eat ANY jerky not something i would be attracted to... milk bonez
always smelled to weird for me to get past my nose, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> i know about rodent hairs, and worms in frozen fish, have a sanatation
>> liscense... it is the cleanleness of the workers i find might not be
>> scrutinized as much as humans, but then i often wonder about the
>> cleanleness
>> of workers on human food lins as well... and hey if it works for you,
>> thats
>> what matters, Lee

> Pet jerky is tasty and low calorie and zero carb and (quite important to
> me) sugar free and low sodium. It's not killed me yet and I like it. :-)
>
> I've known people many years in the past that have eaten Milk Bone Dog
> Biscuits.
>
> If you find a pet treat that you like and fits your diet, well, I'd not
> be afraid to eat it. :-) And it's frequently cheaper...
>
> Dog jerky that is pure dried meat, to date to me, is better quality than
> any of the overly chemically treated human jerky I have ever found!
>
> YMMV of course...
>
> And it's about 1/2 the price.
>
> Do I recommend it? It's your choice! I do eat dog jerky and enjoy
> every bite and my dogs love it too. I'm not ashamed to admit that I eat
> it. <g>
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> -- Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

herky is one of those things that if offerred i would take a chunck, but i
don't think i've bought it five times in my life, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> i rarely eat ANY jerky not something i would be attracted to... milk
>> bonez
>> always smelled to weird for me to get past my nose, Lee

> I've tried dog bonz dog biscuits and they are ok, but not something I'd
> go out of my way to eat. Purina Dog Chow is better but I've only ever
> tasted that out of curiosity. <g>
>
> If you are a jerky lover, the REAL stuff that they make for pets is
> better than the jerky made for humans in both flavor and quality.
> I don't like all the salt in the stuff made for people.
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> -- Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 8, 10:36*am, Omelet > wrote:

Love the story about Ka.

My all time love cat was a seal point girl named Ming Toy Ling. She
was with me for almost 20 years from the time she was 8 weeks old. I
came home from work one day and found her stretched out on the bed,
cold. The vet said she most likely had a stroke. She played like
a kitten till the day she died. She could talk, I swear.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i have to work at eating regular meat, taste is fine but texture of most
meat is sorta creep to me, the time or two i had the jerky that is rounder
rather than flat i kept thinking of those tendons in frog legs,... sorta ick
factor, if its flat or shredded not so bad, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> jerky is one of those things that if offerred i would take a chunk, but i
>> don't think i've bought it five times in my life, Lee

> It's good diet food for snacking. :-)
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> -- Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Alton Brown jerky (glucosamine)

cshenk wrote:
> The nooner meal is a simple thing here. I've had lots of older pets
> and they need extra calcium and glucosamine chrondritin (sp?). One of
> my pooches doesnt seem to absorb the pill/powder form but does every
> well on bone and joint broths. I make those in my crockpot in 1-2
> gallon batches from leftover chicken and duck carcasses as well as fish
> heads and tails and spines. Cat gets 2-3 TB, big dog get 1/2 cup and
> smaller one gets a 1/2 cup minus 2-3TB (grin). Little bits of meat and
> other goodies go in there too.
>
> Main benefit besides serious reduction in arthritis issues in 2 older
> dogs, is the cat glows and has none of the expected kidney issues they
> start to develop (often attributed to not drinking enough).

I've just started giving liquid glucosamine to our boxer for arthritis
in her hip. (it's $30 for 8 ounces, but that should last a month and a
half.) The problem is, she's a picky eater and our other dogs aren't --
so it's hard to make sure she gets it before somebody steals it.

Tell me more about the fish head stock. I was wondering if I could make
this stuff myself if I could find a good source of shrimp shells, cram
shells, and fish scales; and the dogs might like it better. (if she
really likes it, I could sneak a half an aspirin in it and kill 2
problems at once.)

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 11, 9:40*am, zxcvbob > wrote:

> I've just started giving liquid glucosamine to our boxer for arthritis
> in her hip. *(it's $30 for 8 ounces, but that should last a month and a
> half.) *The problem is, she's a picky eater and our other dogs aren't --
> so it's hard to make sure she gets it before somebody steals it.
>
> Tell me more about the fish head stock. *I was wondering if I could make
> this stuff myself if I could find a good source of shrimp shells, cram
> shells, and fish scales; and the dogs might like it better. *(if she
> really likes it, I could sneak a half an aspirin in it and kill 2
> problems at once.)
>
> -Bob

You can give your dog aspirin easily. Greenies makes a pill pocket.
It's a treat with a slit in it.
You put the pill in the treat and mash it closed and give it to the
dog. Most dogs will gulp a treat without even chewing so you get the
pill down without them even realizing it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> You can give your dog aspirin easily. Greenies makes a pill pocket.
> It's a treat with a slit in it.

When I had dogs I used a 1 inch segment of a hot dog.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> [...]

> far away family gathering. Her other pooches at various places.
> considered 'unadoptable' due to age and medical, we fell in love with
> her and adopted her. She was slated to be put down before another
> winter due to advanced arthritis in hip, tail, and spine. She's on the
> powder form of the same liquid your dog is on, but she seems to gain
> benefit from it and she's also on the same broths and side added
> natural items Cash-pup is on. (Oh, my cat gets them too). The
> difference is dramatic. She's gone from a mincing 'don't want to walk'
> to bee-bopping dance run about the house. Her favorite activity is a
> jog with Charlotte.
>
> So my advice is, don't dispense with the vet's version but be aware you
> can size scale cheaper human grade powders to do the same. You can
> also *add* natural sources and see if that helps more. If natural
> sources help, you can see over time if the added 30$ every 6 weeks can
> be dispensed with.
>
> Now, recipes. These are based on the idea that I'm feeding just 'in
> the family and we do not mind' since we also use this stock for our own
> meals. I use canned stock if feeding guests unless it was a batch with
> no knarfed bones (grin).
>
> We commonly will make at least 1 chicken a week, and may make 2 cornish
> hens (baked, rotisserie). Alternatively we may bake legs or thighs.
> After we eat what we want of the meat, this goes in a freezer baggie
> with the bones broken up. Once we have enough to 1/2 fill the crockpot
> with bones, we add them then cover with water to about 1/3 water above
> the bones. Joints and all are in there. Crockpot on low (it's been
> frozen while foodsafe and goes in frozen) and we normally let it go to
> next day then decant and toss bones. Frozen then in 1 cup amounts
> after chilling enough to not melt the baggies.
>
> Fish head version: They really LOVE this! If you have a local
> fishmonger, you can possibly get them free. If you have friends who
> get fish, you can have them freeze the head and tail for you and the
> spine if they didnt spice the fish too heavy. You put the bones and
> heads/tails in the crockpot then cover with water to about 2 inches
> above them for a deep stock, 3 inches for a lighter one. You will get
> some 'froth' and that has some of the goodies they need so try to not
> remove it all.
>
> You can make a seafood stock of any kind of shell other than the
> obvious clam/oyster/mussel. Shrimp, crawfish, crab, lobster, whole
> shrimpheads (see if the dog prefers then whole first and 1 a day is
> excellent!). Don't clean out the parts you think are 'icky' first as
> they like'em and they impart to a doggie broth much of the goodness.
>
> On the asprin, bury it in a shrimp and use as a treat (grin). A small
> wad of ground meat works too or little segments of fresh pork where you
> tuck it in there in a slivered pocket.
>
> Ask, I have more info but am not sure what you need other than I have

This is the stuff I've started giving "Tinkerbell" (I didn't name her):
http://www.flexicose-usa.com/products.asp?cat=41

The only kind of treat this dog takes (and she loves them) is the cheap
Milkbone-like hard small biscuits that I buy at Aldi. She is easy to
give a pill to, unlike my other dog -- he'll take anything and swallow
it whole (a whole raw turkey neck once) *unless* it has a pill buried in
it. I don't know how he can tell. He has very powerful jaws that are
hard to pry apart, and he's really good at spitting out pills even if
you shove them way back in his throat. Luckily he doesn't need medicine
very often.

One minor correction: both dogs like Heartgard heartworm medicine.

I don't know if there's a fish market in town or not. Maybe I can try
the Chinese market and buy whole fish with the heads and tails still on.
Fillet them for me and use the scraps for stock. Or one of the
restaurants might give me lobster shells if I tell them what it's for.

Chicken stock made from backs and gristle works too?

Whatever I use, I will use a pressure cooker instead of crockpot. An
hour in a pressure cooker and the bones practically dissolve; also it
doesn't really matter so much if they were "fresh" or not.

The vet gave me a pamphlet for dried sea cucumbers as a dog
treat/supplement. I may try that too; the cost is about the same per
day. (I wonder if they have them at the Chinese market packaged as
people food?)

--
Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:26:47 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> I rarely ever add salt to stocks or soups until they hit the table
> anyway. Then salt to taste.

Here's what I do. I never add salt to stock and salt soup very
lightly during cooking. I think a little salt brightens the flavor of
soup, but you definitely don't want to overdo it. Eaters who want
more - can salt to their taste at the table.

Member

Bayir is professionally managed company engaged in manufacture & marketing of select active Pharmaceuticals, Nutraceutical, and Botanical extracts, Glucosamine, Coleus Forskolin, Garcinia Extract, Chondroitin sulphate, Herbal Extract, Curcumin in bangalore, India.Glucosamine, Herbal Extract, Curcumin, Coleus forskolin, Garcinia extract, Chondroitin Sulphate, forskolin dosage,glucosamine supplements, garcinia cambogia, glucosamine & chondroitin, herbal extracts, herbal extract suppliers, curcumin benefits, curcumin supplements

alton brown Somebody 1.0 General Cooking 8 04-10-2012 09:27 AM
What's up with Alton Brown? Jack[_18_] General Cooking 12 30-09-2009 06:46 PM
Alton Brown knows balls Paul M. Cook General Cooking 2 06-11-2005 06:14 AM
Alton Brown Me General Cooking 55 04-07-2005 08:10 PM
Alton Brown is Elton Brown all growed up Blair P. Houghton General Cooking 4 18-03-2004 07:11 AM