Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT read your phone bill?

Well. It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash browns
to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill. Incomprehensible to say
the least. Six pages. But I noticed a charge for incoming text messages
and data.
I do not do text messages.
I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
So. The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring constantly' or
waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have your phone bill at hand
to read it. Just no tellin' how many of us are being gouged with padded
charges that we never even noticed. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther > wrote:

>Well. It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash browns
>to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill. Incomprehensible to say
>the least. Six pages. But I noticed a charge for incoming text messages
>and data.
> I do not do text messages.
> I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
> I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.

I get both spam an wrong-number incoming calls, and they might be
texts, voice, or images. They are sometimes a significant fraction
of my usage/billing. I haven't gotten to the level of complaining about
it yet.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

did you get them removed? Lee

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Well. It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash browns
> to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill. Incomprehensible to say
> the least. Six pages. But I noticed a charge for incoming text messages
> and data.
> I do not do text messages.
> I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
> I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
> So. The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring constantly'
> or waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have your phone bill at
> hand to read it. Just no tellin' how many of us are being gouged with
> padded charges that we never even noticed. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polllly Esther" > wrote:

>Well. It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash browns
>to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill. Incomprehensible to say
>the least. Six pages.

6? You lucky gal.<g> We only have 3 phones on our plan these days so
ours has shrunk from 50+ to 20ish.

> But I noticed a charge for incoming text messages and data.
> I do not do text messages.
> I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
> I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
> So. The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring constantly' or
>waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have your phone bill at hand
>to read it. Just no tellin' how many of us are being gouged with padded
>charges that we never even noticed. Polly

I hesitate to blame Verizon for this and the other various unexplained
charges on my phone bill- but more likely someone is making a tidy
profit hacking phones or sending a script in a message the we clueless
ones inadvertently activate.

The warning is certainly valid, though-- there are lots of unexplained
charges on phone bills -- and the phone companies are pretty good
about removing them if you call.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:
> Well. It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash
> browns to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill.
> Incomprehensible to say the least. Six pages. But I noticed a
> charge for incoming text messages and data.
> I do not do text messages.
> I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
> I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
> So. The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring
> constantly' or waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have
> your phone bill at hand to read it. Just no tellin' how many of us
> are being gouged with padded charges that we never even noticed.

I noticed and it drove me crazy. If I didn't even pick up my phone
it was $50 a month. All those mystery fees. That's why I have two
TracFones cellphones (different numbers) now and pay about $17
total per month.

I'm not saying that's for everyone, naturally.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

same reason we ditched ours, i MUST have one for work, so for the few calls
we make of a personal nature its a serious savings, Lee
"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. com...
> Polly Esther wrote:
>> Well. It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash
>> browns to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill. Incomprehensible
>> to say the least. Six pages. But I noticed a
>> charge for incoming text messages and data.
>> I do not do text messages.
>> I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
>> I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
>> So. The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring
>> constantly' or waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have
>> your phone bill at hand to read it. Just no tellin' how many of us
>> are being gouged with padded charges that we never even noticed.

> I noticed and it drove me crazy. If I didn't even pick up my phone it was
> $50 a month. All those mystery fees. That's why I have two TracFones
> cellphones (different numbers) now and pay about $17
> total per month.
>
> I'm not saying that's for everyone, naturally.
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2011 6:35 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> Polly Esther wrote:
>> Well. It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash
>> browns to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill.
>> Incomprehensible to say the least. Six pages. But I noticed a
>> charge for incoming text messages and data.
>> I do not do text messages.
>> I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
>> I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
>> So. The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring
>> constantly' or waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have
>> your phone bill at hand to read it. Just no tellin' how many of us
>> are being gouged with padded charges that we never even noticed.

> I noticed and it drove me crazy. If I didn't even pick up my phone it
> was $50 a month. All those mystery fees. That's why I have two TracFones
> cellphones (different numbers) now and pay about $17
> total per month.
>
> I'm not saying that's for everyone, naturally.
>
> nancy

We've had a Jitterbug for several years now, $14.99 a month with 50
minutes of time on it, we seldom use the phone except when traveling or
when one of us is out of the area for some reason. Time rolls over too.
Old folks phone, big numbers, ring tones, all three or four of them, you
can get texting and internet service, we don't do that with phones. It's
a phone not a toy, and neither of us wants to be connected all the time
anyway. We love the thing, seldom rings, even when we remember to turn
it on or charge it. <G>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> On 6/5/2011 6:35 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> I noticed and it drove me crazy. If I didn't even pick up my phone it
>> was $50 a month. All those mystery fees. That's why I have two
>> TracFones cellphones (different numbers) now and pay about $17
>> total per month.

> We've had a Jitterbug for several years now, $14.99 a month with 50
> minutes of time on it, we seldom use the phone except when traveling
> or when one of us is out of the area for some reason.

It's so handy. Compare to all I spent on my land line and I
couldn't even take it where I was going.

> Time rolls over
> too. Old folks phone, big numbers, ring tones, all three or four of
> them, you can get texting and internet service, we don't do that with
> phones. It's a phone not a toy, and neither of us wants to be
> connected all the time anyway.

Really, I get that. I used to enjoy my commute as no one could reach
me. Those were pre-cell phone days, obviously.

> We love the thing, seldom rings, even
> when we remember to turn it on or charge it. <G>

(laugh) Same here. At least these phones take a message or you can
see what calls you missed when it was turned off. I'm pretty happy
with the whole situation, myself.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 1:06*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> Well. *It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash browns
> to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill. *Incomprehensible to say
> the least. *Six pages. *But I noticed a charge for incoming text messages
> and data.
> * * I do not do text messages.
> * * I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
> * * I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
> * * So. *The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring constantly' or
> waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have your phone bill at hand
> to read it. *Just no tellin' how many of us are being gouged with padded
> charges that we never even noticed. *Polly

I notified my phone co. that I never made or rec'd a text and to block
that ability. You should do the same. They adjusted the charge for
me too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 8:44*am, George Shirley > wrote:
> On 6/5/2011 6:35 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>

> > Polly Esther wrote:
> >> Well. It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash
> >> browns to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill.
> >> Incomprehensible to say the least. Six pages. But I noticed a
> >> charge for incoming text messages and data.
> >> I do not do text messages.
> >> I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
> >> I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
> >> So. The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring
> >> constantly' or waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have
> >> your phone bill at hand to read it. Just no tellin' how many of us
> >> are being gouged with padded charges that we never even noticed.

> > I noticed and it drove me crazy. If I didn't even pick up my phone it
> > was $50 a month. All those mystery fees. That's why I have two TracFones
> > cellphones (different numbers) now and pay about $17
> > total per month.

> > I'm not saying that's for everyone, naturally.

> > nancy

> We've had a Jitterbug for several years now, $14.99 a month with 50
> minutes of time on it, we seldom use the phone except when traveling or
> when one of us is out of the area for some reason. Time rolls over too.
> Old folks phone, big numbers, ring tones, all three or four of them, you
> can get texting and internet service, we don't do that with phones. It's
> a phone not a toy, and neither of us wants to be connected all the time
> anyway. We love the thing, seldom rings, even when we remember to turn
> it on or charge it. <G>

How's the coverage? I asked a few ppl about Jitterbug and reference
was made to 2 juice cans and a string.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <4d324706-40d7-4995-8048-
>,
says...

> On Jun 5, 8:44*am, George Shirley > wrote:

> > > I noticed and it drove me crazy. If I didn't even pick up my phone it
> > > was $50 a month. All those mystery fees. That's why I have two TracFones
> > > cellphones (different numbers) now and pay about $17
> > > total per month.

> > > I'm not saying that's for everyone, naturally.

> > > nancy

> > We've had a Jitterbug for several years now, $14.99 a month with 50
> > minutes of time on it, we seldom use the phone except when traveling or
> > when one of us is out of the area for some reason. Time rolls over too.
> > Old folks phone, big numbers, ring tones, all three or four of them, you
> > can get texting and internet service, we don't do that with phones. It's
> > a phone not a toy, and neither of us wants to be connected all the time
> > anyway. We love the thing, seldom rings, even when we remember to turn
> > it on or charge it. <G>

> How's the coverage? I asked a few ppl about Jitterbug and reference
> was made to 2 juice cans and a string.

It runs on the Verizon network and should give the same coverage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2011 9:40 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> On 6/5/2011 6:35 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I noticed and it drove me crazy. If I didn't even pick up my phone it
>>> was $50 a month. All those mystery fees. That's why I have two
>>> TracFones cellphones (different numbers) now and pay about $17
>>> total per month.

>> We've had a Jitterbug for several years now, $14.99 a month with 50
>> minutes of time on it, we seldom use the phone except when traveling
>> or when one of us is out of the area for some reason.

> It's so handy. Compare to all I spent on my land line and I couldn't
> even take it where I was going.
>> Time rolls over
>> too. Old folks phone, big numbers, ring tones, all three or four of
>> them, you can get texting and internet service, we don't do that with
>> phones. It's a phone not a toy, and neither of us wants to be
>> connected all the time anyway.

> Really, I get that. I used to enjoy my commute as no one could reach
> me. Those were pre-cell phone days, obviously.

No pager?

>> We love the thing, seldom rings, even
>> when we remember to turn it on or charge it. <G>

> (laugh) Same here. At least these phones take a message or you can
> see what calls you missed when it was turned off. I'm pretty happy
> with the whole situation, myself.
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2011 8:44 AM, George Shirley wrote:
> On 6/5/2011 6:35 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> Polly Esther wrote:
>>> Well. It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash
>>> browns to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill.
>>> Incomprehensible to say the least. Six pages. But I noticed a
>>> charge for incoming text messages and data.
>>> I do not do text messages.
>>> I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
>>> I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
>>> So. The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring
>>> constantly' or waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have
>>> your phone bill at hand to read it. Just no tellin' how many of us
>>> are being gouged with padded charges that we never even noticed.

>> I noticed and it drove me crazy. If I didn't even pick up my phone it
>> was $50 a month. All those mystery fees. That's why I have two TracFones
>> cellphones (different numbers) now and pay about $17
>> total per month.
>>
>> I'm not saying that's for everyone, naturally.
>>
>> nancy

> We've had a Jitterbug for several years now, $14.99 a month with 50
> minutes of time on it, we seldom use the phone except when traveling or
> when one of us is out of the area for some reason. Time rolls over too.
> Old folks phone, big numbers, ring tones, all three or four of them, you
> can get texting and internet service, we don't do that with phones. It's
> a phone not a toy, and neither of us wants to be connected all the time
> anyway. We love the thing, seldom rings, even when we remember to turn
> it on or charge it. <G>

Depends how you look at it. Smartphones are no more a toy than your
desktop computer since it is essentially a hybrid phone and portable
computer with a real web browser that can display pretty much anything
your home computer can.

At the store and you aren't sure about something you can do the research
while you are standing there. Reached the restaurant you remembered only
to find it is closed you can look for reviews and ideas for another
place. Walk into the market and there is a bounty of something and you
aren't sure what to make you can research recipes right there and find
an idea and also what else you may need to buy. Want to go for a bike
ride and there is iffy weather where you simply wouldn't bother now you
can stop and look at the live weather radar and still get a ride in
because you can see the direction and speed of the storm. Rent a vehicle
without a GPS, just fire up the GPS on the smartphone.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 00:06:18 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> Well. It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash browns
> to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill. Incomprehensible to say
> the least. Six pages. But I noticed a charge for incoming text messages
> and data.
> I do not do text messages.
> I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
> I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
> So. The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring constantly' or
> waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have your phone bill at hand
> to read it. Just no tellin' how many of us are being gouged with padded
> charges that we never even noticed. Polly

Have you stopped your texting service? You're probably being charged
monthly for something you don't use, so stop paying for it! Can't
help you with the internet part because we don't subscribe to that
either... and we don't have sneaky charges showing up on our bills
anymore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 11:26:08 -0400, George >
wrote:

> > Really, I get that. I used to enjoy my commute as no one could reach
> > me. Those were pre-cell phone days, obviously.

> No pager?

Many of us skipped right over pagers and went straight to a cell
phone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
On Jun 5, 1:06 am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> Well. It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash browns
> to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill. Incomprehensible to say
> the least. Six pages. But I noticed a charge for incoming text messages
> and data.
> I do not do text messages.
> I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
> I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
> So. The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring constantly' or
> waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have your phone bill at hand
> to read it. Just no tellin' how many of us are being gouged with padded
> charges that we never even noticed. Polly

I notified my phone co. that I never made or rec'd a text and to block
that ability. You should do the same. They adjusted the charge for
me too.
-----

I did the same after receiving a spam text.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 11:38:43 -0400, George >
wrote:

> Depends how you look at it. Smartphones are no more a toy than your
> desktop computer since it is essentially a hybrid phone and portable
> computer with a real web browser that can display pretty much anything
> your home computer can.
>
> At the store and you aren't sure about something you can do the research
> while you are standing there. Reached the restaurant you remembered only
> to find it is closed you can look for reviews and ideas for another
> place. Walk into the market and there is a bounty of something and you
> aren't sure what to make you can research recipes right there and find
> an idea and also what else you may need to buy. Want to go for a bike
> ride and there is iffy weather where you simply wouldn't bother now you
> can stop and look at the live weather radar and still get a ride in
> because you can see the direction and speed of the storm. Rent a vehicle
> without a GPS, just fire up the GPS on the smartphone.

Too bad they're so expensive. We pay $80 a month for shared minutes
on our dumb phone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Jun 5, 1:06 am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> > Well. It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash browns
> > to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill. Incomprehensible to say
> > the least. Six pages. But I noticed a charge for incoming text messages
> > and data.
> > I do not do text messages.
> > I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
> > I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
> > So. The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring constantly' or
> > waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have your phone bill at hand
> > to read it. Just no tellin' how many of us are being gouged with padded
> > charges that we never even noticed. Polly

> I notified my phone co. that I never made or rec'd a text and to block
> that ability. You should do the same. They adjusted the charge for
> me too.
> -----
>
> I did the same after receiving a spam text.

There needs to be legislation to the effect that the party originating
the call is responsible for all charges unless the called party
explicity agrees to pay them for that specific call or for calls from
that specific party. It should not be lawful for advertisers and the
like to run up your phone bill by making unwanted calls, sending
unwanted text messages, or otherwise imposing on you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 13:55:54 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> <lol> Exactly what I do here! I did the math the other day and to
> support 2 Tracfones for the past 4 years I've had them run me an average
> of $18.00 per month for both of them!

Why is it that people who use cell phones so little have so many of
them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
in.local...
> In article >, says...
>>
>> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>> On Jun 5, 1:06 am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
>> > Well. It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash
>> > browns
>> > to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill. Incomprehensible to
>> > say
>> > the least. Six pages. But I noticed a charge for incoming text messages
>> > and data.
>> > I do not do text messages.
>> > I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
>> > I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
>> > So. The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring constantly' or
>> > waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have your phone bill at
>> > hand
>> > to read it. Just no tellin' how many of us are being gouged with padded
>> > charges that we never even noticed. Polly

>> I notified my phone co. that I never made or rec'd a text and to block
>> that ability. You should do the same. They adjusted the charge for
>> me too.
>> -----
>>
>> I did the same after receiving a spam text.

> There needs to be legislation to the effect that the party originating
> the call is responsible for all charges unless the called party
> explicity agrees to pay them for that specific call or for calls from
> that specific party. It should not be lawful for advertisers and the
> like to run up your phone bill by making unwanted calls, sending
> unwanted text messages, or otherwise imposing on you.

It really ****ed me off when the phone company announced the
"charge-the-receiver" policy a couple of years ago. However, there is NO
choice in the matter as all the other companies here do it. Having put on a
block, the policy now doesn't bother me as I never send texts - too old, I
suppose{:-) Most of the time my cell-phone is switched off as I use it for
emergencies or when I have several business meetings (the plan only costs me
$10 per month). Last week, I forgot to switch it off and received a spam
phone call, dammit.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> On 6/5/2011 9:40 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:

>>> We've had a Jitterbug for several years now, $14.99 a month with 50
>>> minutes of time on it, we seldom use the phone except when traveling
>>> or when one of us is out of the area for some reason.

>> It's so handy. Compare to all I spent on my land line and I couldn't
>> even take it where I was going.
>>> Time rolls over
>>> too. Old folks phone, big numbers, ring tones, all three or four of
>>> them, you can get texting and internet service, we don't do that with
>>> phones. It's a phone not a toy, and neither of us wants to be
>>> connected all the time anyway.

>> Really, I get that. I used to enjoy my commute as no one could reach
>> me. Those were pre-cell phone days, obviously.

> No pager?

Trust me, she had a pager. She'd get paged at 3:00AM - there's broken code,
someone has to fix it. Been there, done that.

I have to have a land line. It's practically impossible to get a cell
signal here.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 5, 4:35*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Polly Esther wrote:
> > Well. *It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash
> > browns to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill.
> > Incomprehensible to say the least. *Six pages. *But I noticed a
> > charge for incoming text messages and data.
> > * *I do not do text messages.
> > * *I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
> > * *I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
> > * *So. *The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring
> > constantly' or waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have
> > your phone bill at hand to read it. *Just no tellin' how many of us
> > are being gouged with padded charges that we never even noticed.

> I noticed and it drove me crazy. *If I didn't even pick up my phone
> it was $50 a month. *All those mystery fees. *That's why I have two
> TracFones cellphones (different numbers) now and pay about $17
> total per month.
>
> I'm not saying that's for everyone, naturally.
>
> nancy

I also have a "drug dealer" phone. My phone costs have been less than
$10 a month. I don't use my phone as a subsititute for a computer, I
only use it for phone calls, and I don't have a land line any longer.
Only those who need my phone number have it, and so I don't get robo
calls and telemarketers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> On Jun 5, 4:35 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> I noticed and it drove me crazy. If I didn't even pick up my phone
>> it was $50 a month. All those mystery fees. That's why I have two
>> TracFones cellphones (different numbers) now and pay about $17
>> total per month.

> I also have a "drug dealer" phone. My phone costs have been less than
> $10 a month. I don't use my phone as a subsititute for a computer,

I get that the Smart phone type of devices are a lot of fun and are
useful for a lot of people. I'm happy to just have a phone.

> only use it for phone calls, and I don't have a land line any longer.
> Only those who need my phone number have it, and so I don't get robo
> calls and telemarketers.

One of my phones has the same number that was my land line. The other
one has some random number that they assigned. It's no problem keeping
it turned off unless we need it for whatever reason as someone got a hold
of the number and there are a lot of Hispanic people calling it now looking
for other Hispanic people. (laugh) Got me, I got tired of saying You have
the wrong number so it's turned off.

At any rate, not having a land line works for me and it's cheap. I'd rather
spend my money on other things.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 12:06*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> Well. *It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash browns
> to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill. *Incomprehensible to say
> the least. *Six pages. *But I noticed a charge for incoming text messages
> and data.
> * * I do not do text messages.
> * * I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
> * * I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
> * * So. *The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring constantly' or
> waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have your phone bill at hand
> to read it. *Just no tellin' how many of us are being gouged with padded
> charges that we never even noticed. *Polly

Those cell phones really ream you when it comes to $$, eh? So glad I
don't have one, they are nothing but big money suckers from millions
to a few super-megarich telecommunications companies. I've done just
fine for 51 years with just an old land line phone.

Suckers!! HA!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 6, 7:31*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Jun 5, 4:35*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>

> > Polly Esther wrote:
> > > Well. *It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash
> > > browns to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill.
> > > Incomprehensible to say the least. *Six pages. *But I noticed a
> > > charge for incoming text messages and data.
> > > * *I do not do text messages.
> > > * *I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
> > > * *I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
> > > * *So. *The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring
> > > constantly' or waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have
> > > your phone bill at hand to read it. *Just no tellin' how many of us
> > > are being gouged with padded charges that we never even noticed.

> > I noticed and it drove me crazy. *If I didn't even pick up my phone
> > it was $50 a month. *All those mystery fees. *That's why I have two
> > TracFones cellphones (different numbers) now and pay about $17
> > total per month.

> > I'm not saying that's for everyone, naturally.

> > nancy

> I also have a "drug dealer" phone. *My phone costs have been less than
> $10 a month. *I don't use my phone as a subsititute for a computer, I
> only use it for phone calls, and I don't have a land line any longer.
> Only those who need my phone number have it, and so I don't get robo
> calls and telemarketers.

i have a GoPhone. Costs me $25 every three months. I seldom use it. In
fact, I just might let it expire.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 11:15:55 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>ImStillMags wrote:
>> On Jun 5, 4:35 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>>> I noticed and it drove me crazy. If I didn't even pick up my phone
>>> it was $50 a month. All those mystery fees. That's why I have two
>>> TracFones cellphones (different numbers) now and pay about $17
>>> total per month.

>> I also have a "drug dealer" phone. My phone costs have been less than
>> $10 a month. I don't use my phone as a subsititute for a computer,

>I get that the Smart phone type of devices are a lot of fun and are
>useful for a lot of people. I'm happy to just have a phone.

>> only use it for phone calls, and I don't have a land line any longer.
>> Only those who need my phone number have it, and so I don't get robo
>> calls and telemarketers.

>One of my phones has the same number that was my land line. The other
>one has some random number that they assigned. It's no problem keeping
>it turned off unless we need it for whatever reason as someone got a hold
>of the number and there are a lot of Hispanic people calling it now looking
>for other Hispanic people. (laugh) Got me, I got tired of saying You have
>the wrong number so it's turned off.
>
>At any rate, not having a land line works for me and it's cheap. I'd rather
>spend my money on other things.

For an extra $10 a month Verizon will issue a second number to your
land line that rings with a different and very discernable tone.. mine
is two short rings instead of the usual long ring... I use it for
tenants etal. that I don't care to speak to at the momen, it will also
record messages on your answering machine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 6, 4:29*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 11:15:55 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>

> > wrote:
> >ImStillMags wrote:

> >> I also have a "drug dealer" phone. *My phone costs have been less than
> >> $10 a month. *I don't use my phone as a subsititute for a computer,

> >I get that the Smart phone type of devices are a lot of fun and are
> >useful for a lot of people. * I'm happy to just have a phone.

> >> only use it for phone calls, and I don't have a land line any longer.
> >> Only those who need my phone number have it, and so I don't get robo
> >> calls and telemarketers.

> >One of my phones has the same number that was my land line. *The other
> >one has some random number that they assigned. *It's no problem keeping
> >it turned off unless we need it for whatever reason as someone got a hold
> >of the number and there are a lot of Hispanic people calling it now looking
> >for other Hispanic people. *(laugh) *Got me, I got tired of saying You have
> >the wrong number so it's turned off.

> >At any rate, not having a land line works for me and it's cheap. *I'd rather
> >spend my money on other things.

> For an extra $10 a month Verizon will issue a second number to your
> land line that rings with a different and very discernable tone.. mine
> is two short rings instead of the usual long ring... I use it for
> tenants etal. that I don't care to speak to at the momen, it will also
> record messages on your answering machine

For an extra $X ON TOP of the reaming fee of $100+ a month, Verizon
will now....

Yeah, sounds like a real steal there Sheldon!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-05, Polly Esther > wrote:

> to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill. Incomprehensible to say
> the least.

That's cuz they're bending U over the table. It's what cell phone
companies do. Duh!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 6, 4:36*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-06-05, Polly Esther > wrote:
>
> > to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill. *Incomprehensible to say
> > the least. *

> That's cuz they're bending U over the table. *It's what cell phone
> companies do. *Duh!
>
> nb

And somehow they have made everyone think a cell phone is just the
biggest gotta-have thing in the world!

Why?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 11:15:55 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:

>> At any rate, not having a land line works for me and it's cheap.
>> I'd rather spend my money on other things.

> For an extra $10 a month Verizon will issue a second number to your
> land line that rings with a different and very discernable tone.. mine
> is two short rings instead of the usual long ring... I use it for
> tenants etal. that I don't care to speak to at the momen, it will also
> record messages on your answering machine

I used to have something similar, a teen line, for my computer. I had
to dial in to work. It didn't cost much per month and it had a separate
number. Made my life a million times easier being able to call in while
staying logged on to work. My how times have changed, it all seems so
quaint now.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 14:36:05 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Jun 6, 4:29*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 11:15:55 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >I get that the Smart phone type of devices are a lot of fun and are
>> >useful for a lot of people. * I'm happy to just have a phone.

>> >One of my phones has the same number that was my land line. *The other
>> >one has some random number that they assigned. *It's no problem keeping
>> >it turned off unless we need it for whatever reason as someone got a hold
>> >of the number and there are a lot of Hispanic people calling it now looking
>> >for other Hispanic people. *(laugh) *Got me, I got tired of saying You have
>> >the wrong number so it's turned off.

>> >At any rate, not having a land line works for me and it's cheap. *I'd rather
>> >spend my money on other things.

>> For an extra $10 a month Verizon will issue a second number to your
>> land line that rings with a different and very discernable tone.. mine
>> is two short rings instead of the usual long ring... I use it for
>> tenants etal. that I don't care to speak to at the momen, it will also
>> record messages on your answering machine

>For an extra $X ON TOP of the reaming fee of $100+ a month, Verizon
>will now....
>
>Yeah, sounds like a real steal there Sheldon!

Land lines don't have roaming fees, orchid seed brain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 14:49:49 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> And somehow they have made everyone think a cell phone is just the
> biggest gotta-have thing in the world!

I guess you've never tried to find a working pay phone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-06, sf > wrote:

> I guess you've never tried to find a working pay phone.

Follow the drug dealers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 6, 5:18*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 14:36:05 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>

> > wrote:
> >On Jun 6, 4:29*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> >> On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 11:15:55 -0400, "Nancy Young"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:27:07 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> On Jun 6, 5:18*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 14:36:05 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> >

> > > wrote:
> >
> > >For an extra $X ON TOP of the reaming fee of $100+ a month, Verizon
> > >will now....

> > >Yeah, sounds like a real steal there Sheldon!

> > Land lines don't have roaming fees, orchid seed brain.

> Reading is not your strong suit, is it? I said REAMING fee, not
> roaming fee. DUH!!

Like him, I assumed your fingers had developed a mind of their own and
you'd spelled roaming wrong. I have a cell phone, but I have no idea
what you meant by a reaming fee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/06/2011 12:24 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:27:07 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
>> On Jun 6, 5:18 pm, Brooklyn1<Gravesend1> wrote:
>>> On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 14:36:05 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe

>>> Land lines don't have roaming fees, orchid seed brain.

>> Reading is not your strong suit, is it? I said REAMING fee, not
>> roaming fee. DUH!!
>>

> Like him, I assumed your fingers had developed a mind of their own and
> you'd spelled roaming wrong. I have a cell phone, but I have no idea
> what you meant by a reaming fee.

Damn! I knew what he meant.

He meant a rip-off fee....

Getting reamed is another way of saying you're getting screwed or ripped
off.

Must be a boy thing!
That explains why Sheldon didn't get it then! ;-)

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

problem is my land liene cost more than the two cells we have... we have
constipated... err consolidated communications, and they have a rural
exemption, to have it sit there and never get used is over fifty a month,
caller id, long distance, not included, while up the road, a basic line is
like fifteen bucks because of competition. Lee
"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
On Jun 5, 12:06 am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> Well. It is sort of on topic because I was waiting for frozen hash browns
> to thaw and just happened to read my phone bill. Incomprehensible to say
> the least. Six pages. But I noticed a charge for incoming text messages
> and data.
> I do not do text messages.
> I do not use my cell phone for internet data searches.
> I don't even know how and don't have those options on my plan.
> So. The next time you're standing at the stove 'stirring constantly' or
> waiting for the oven to pre-heat or whatever, have your phone bill at hand
> to read it. Just no tellin' how many of us are being gouged with padded
> charges that we never even noticed. Polly

Those cell phones really ream you when it comes to $$, eh? So glad I
don't have one, they are nothing but big money suckers from millions
to a few super-megarich telecommunications companies. I've done just
fine for 51 years with just an old land line phone.

Suckers!! HA!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LOL, Lee
"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
On Jun 6, 5:18 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 14:36:05 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>

> > wrote:
> >On Jun 6, 4:29 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> >> On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 11:15:55 -0400, "Nancy Young"

> >> For an extra $10 a month Verizon will issue a second number to your
> >> land line that rings with a different and very discernable tone.. mine
> >> is two short rings instead of the usual long ring... I use it for
> >> tenants etal. that I don't care to speak to at the momen, it will also
> >> record messages on your answering machine

> >For an extra $X ON TOP of the reaming fee of $100+ a month, Verizon
> >will now....

> >Yeah, sounds like a real steal there Sheldon!

> Land lines don't have roaming fees, orchid seed brain.

Reading is not your strong suit, is it? I said REAMING fee, not
roaming fee. DUH!!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 19:24:24 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:27:07 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 6, 5:18*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> > On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 14:36:05 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe

>> > Land lines don't have roaming fees, orchid seed brain.

>> Reading is not your strong suit, is it? I said REAMING fee, not
>> roaming fee. DUH!!
>>

>Like him, I assumed your fingers had developed a mind of their own and
>you'd spelled roaming wrong. I have a cell phone, but I have no idea
>what you meant by a reaming fee.

An attempt at witless double entendre, ie. mickism.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On 6 Jun 2011 22:51:09 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
>> On 2011-06-06, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> I guess you've never tried to find a working pay phone.

>> Follow the drug dealers.

> You really think drug dealers hang out at pay phones? When was the
> early 70's? Don't you think the cops would catch on? It's the drug
> users that use pay phones - since they're too broke to be able to
> afford cell phones.

Many places had pay phones that would not accept calls just to
deter drug dealers. That was a really long time ago.

A few years ago it came to my attention that there are very few pay phones
remaining, at least around here. I was on a busy highway with lots of
stores
and one parking lot after another, no phones. If there was a booth, there
was no phone. More recently I asked at the supermarket, the kid I talked
to likely never used a pay phone in his life. He looked puzzled and thought
maybe there was one way down the street by some other store.

Carrying a cell phone isn't exactly a luxury any more.

nancy

Blasted Phone App! sf[_9_] General Cooking 277 16-02-2015 11:55 PM
It must be a smart phone notbob General Cooking 15 11-02-2015 09:02 AM
Got phone! gregz General Cooking 0 19-11-2012 04:58 AM
Where is a mobile phone :-) PEO from ITALY General Cooking 0 28-12-2006 06:38 PM
your phone call John Sanderson Cooking Equipment 1 28-03-2004 05:16 AM