Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are different cinnamons really different?

I make my own applesauce. I eat some every day. I also use it as my vehicle
for cinnamon consumption. Hence I go through about two pounds a year.

From my food coop I now buy what I believe is:
Cinnamon Powder, Korintje (A grade) (3% oil) (Cinnamomum burmannii)

as seen midway down he
http://www.frontiercoop.com/products...innamon+Powder

I can special order anything on the page for about 60% of the price shown
there. You will see that I have a choice of types. For example:

Cinnamomum verum
Cinnamomum aromaticum
Cinnamomum burmannii
Cinnamomum loureirii

I see there is an oil percent difference, ranging from 3% to 5%. Does this
mean stronger?

Can people detect a difference between cinnamons?

Don. http://paleofood.com/kitchen-equipment.htm (e-mail at page bottom).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> I make my own applesauce. I eat some every day. I also use it as my
> vehicle
> for cinnamon consumption. Hence I go through about two pounds a year.
>
> From my food coop I now buy what I believe is:
> Cinnamon Powder, Korintje (A grade) (3% oil) (Cinnamomum burmannii)
>
> as seen midway down he
> http://www.frontiercoop.com/products...innamon+Powder
>
> I can special order anything on the page for about 60% of the price shown
> there. You will see that I have a choice of types. For example:
>
> Cinnamomum verum
> Cinnamomum aromaticum
> Cinnamomum burmannii
> Cinnamomum loureirii
>
> I see there is an oil percent difference, ranging from 3% to 5%. Does this
> mean stronger?
>
> Can people detect a difference between cinnamons?
>
> Don. http://paleofood.com/kitchen-equipment.htm (e-mail at page bottom).

There are differences and yes, the oil content tends to make them stronger,
but that is only one factor. Korintje is the most common that you will
find.

Penzeys has some explanation of each types. I find theirs to be superior
to most of the supermarket varieties also.

Vietnamese Extra Fancy Cinnamon
Vietnamese cinnamon is the strongest, richest, and sweetest cinnamon around.
For traditional cinnamon recipes such as gooey cinnamon rolls, the vibrant
flavor of Vietnamese cinnamon really shines. It is so strong, that in most
recipes it should be cut back by about a third, but it is perfect used full
strength in any recipe where cinnamon is the main, delicious flavor. Ground,
from Vietnam.

Korintje Indonesia Cinnamon
Sweet and mellow, Korintje cinnamon is the type of cinnamon we all remember
from our childhood. Fragrant Korintje cinnamon is as strong as China
cinnamon, but smoother and not as nippy. We love Korintje cinnamon for
sprinkling-on hot cereal, oatmeal and cream of wheat, French toast, pancakes
and waffles, sugar cookies, and pie crusts. Perfect for cinnamon breads,
quick, yeast, or toasted with raisins..

China Tung Hing Cinnamon
Extra sweet, spicy and strong. Perfect for everything from cinnamon rolls to
apple pie, Christmas cookies to French toast. China cinnamon is perfect for
cinnamon sugar-mix 2-3 tsp. in 1/ 2 cup granulated sugar and keep it on the
table. Sprinkle in pancake and waffle batter, shake on oatmeal and cream of
wheat, yogurt and fresh fruit.

Ceylon Cinnamon
Complex and fragrant, with a citrus overtone and rich buff color. Although
Ceylon cinnamon is less strong, its hint of citrusy flavor and lack of any
bite whatsoever makes it the favorite in both England and Mexico where it is
preferred for all uses. Ceylon 00000 Cinnamon, ground, from Sri Lanka.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 May 2011, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

>Don Wiss wrote:
>> I make my own applesauce. .... cinnamon .... I go through about two pounds a year.

>Penzeys has some explanation of each types. I find theirs to be superior
>to most of the supermarket varieties also.

>Ceylon Cinnamon
>Complex and fragrant, with a citrus overtone and rich buff color. Although
>Ceylon cinnamon is less strong, its hint of citrusy flavor and lack of any
>bite whatsoever makes it the favorite in both England and Mexico where it is
>preferred for all uses. Ceylon 00000 Cinnamon, ground, from Sri Lanka.

Good explanations. Thanks. None of them mentioned apples. This one at least
mentions a fruitiness.

I compared what I can get through the coop and Penzeys. Through the coop I
can get certified organic for less than half the price of Penzey's
non-organic (after shipping).

I am done applesauce making for this season. Next September I'll buy the
Ceylon Cinnamon.

Don. http://paleodiet.com/definition.htm (e-mail link at page bottom).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 May 2011 21:04:09 -0400, Don Wiss >
wrote:

> Can people detect a difference between cinnamons?

I doubt they can when it's mixed with something else. I finally tried
my first Cinnabon a few months ago after much ado here in rfc about
the type of cinnamon they use. Big disappointment. It was just
another commercial, way too sweet, roll that was made with cinnamon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 30, 10:50*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2011 21:04:09 -0400, Don Wiss >
> wrote:
>
> > Can people detect a difference between cinnamons?

> I doubt they can when it's mixed with something else. *I finally tried
> my first Cinnabon a few months ago after much ado here in rfc about
> the type of cinnamon they use. *Big disappointment. *It was just
> another commercial, way too sweet, roll that was made with cinnamon.

Ceylon cinnamon is very different from cassia.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 04:00:36 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> On May 30, 10:50*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 May 2011 21:04:09 -0400, Don Wiss >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Can people detect a difference between cinnamons?

> > I doubt they can when it's mixed with something else. *I finally tried
> > my first Cinnabon a few months ago after much ado here in rfc about
> > the type of cinnamon they use. *Big disappointment. *It was just
> > another commercial, way too sweet, roll that was made with cinnamon.
> >

> Ceylon cinnamon is very different from cassia.

Yes, they are... but can the average person tell the difference when
they're mixed in with other flavorful ingredients? Highly unlikely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
Bryan> > wrote:

>> Ceylon cinnamon is very different from cassia.
>>

> Yes, they are... but can the average person tell the difference when
> they're mixed in with other flavorful ingredients? Highly unlikely.

Do you believe one can use any quality and not affect the end product? I
don't. I get the best I can find or afford and I think there is a notable
difference.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 17:33:04 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Bryan> > wrote:
>
> >> Ceylon cinnamon is very different from cassia.
> >>

> > Yes, they are... but can the average person tell the difference when
> > they're mixed in with other flavorful ingredients? Highly unlikely.

> Do you believe one can use any quality and not affect the end product? I
> don't. I get the best I can find or afford and I think there is a notable
> difference.

I said I doubt the average person can tell the difference between
cassia and Ceylon when it's used in something like a cinnamon roll.
<shrug> Like I said previously, all I could taste was cinnamon
flavored sugar in that Cinnabon. So if they were selling them for
such an outrageous price due to Ceylon cinnamon, it was lost on me and
I haven't gone back for more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> I said I doubt the average person can tell the difference between
> cassia and Ceylon when it's used in something like a cinnamon roll.
> <shrug> Like I said previously, all I could taste was cinnamon
> flavored sugar in that Cinnabon.

But those are bad. Too sweet, exaggerated size and lowest possible quality
they can get by with. I always think they sell the smell.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 9:42*am, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2011 17:33:04 +0200, "Giusi" >
> wrote:

> > > Yes, they are... but can the average person tell the difference when
> > > they're mixed in with other flavorful ingredients? *Highly unlikely..

> > Do you believe one can use any quality and not affect the end product? *I
> > don't. *I get the best I can find or afford and I think there is a notable
> > difference.

> I said I doubt the average person can tell the difference between
> cassia and Ceylon when it's used in something like a cinnamon roll.
> <shrug> *Like I said previously, all I could taste was cinnamon
> flavored sugar in that Cinnabon. *So if they were selling them for
> such an outrageous price due to Ceylon cinnamon, it was lost on me and
> I haven't gone back for more.
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

==
Tastes vary but I can tell the difference in rice pudding as to what
ground cinnamon was used. I hate cheap finely ground cinnamon as in
the Club House brand. The old "Watkins" brand that was peddled from
door to door beats CH.
==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 17:57:26 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > I said I doubt the average person can tell the difference between
> > cassia and Ceylon when it's used in something like a cinnamon roll.
> > <shrug> Like I said previously, all I could taste was cinnamon
> > flavored sugar in that Cinnabon.

> But those are bad. Too sweet, exaggerated size and lowest possible quality
> they can get by with. I always think they sell the smell.

They did smell good, but I wouldn't have been tempted to try them if I
hadn't been reading about the wonderful cinnamon they use. Oh well,
now I know they're way too sweet for me.

Guisi, speaking of sweets... I am looking at digital scales so I can
start experimenting with European pastry/dessert recipes because they
are at the level of sweetness my husband and I prefer. Since you deal
with American clients, do you have any suggestions for a scale that
switches from grams to ounces that I can find over here for under $50?
I've seen some that look good, but a universal complaint seems to be
that they turn off too quickly. Other complaints I see fairly often
are about a delayed reaction to new weight and buttons that are not
sealed, so I feel adrift and don't know which one to pick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 09:11:42 -0700, sf > wrote:

>Guisi, speaking of sweets... I am looking at digital scales so I can
>start experimenting with European pastry/dessert recipes because they
>are at the level of sweetness my husband and I prefer. Since you deal
>with American clients, do you have any suggestions for a scale that
>switches from grams to ounces that I can find over here for under $50?
>I've seen some that look good, but a universal complaint seems to be
>that they turn off too quickly. Other complaints I see fairly often
>are about a delayed reaction to new weight and buttons that are not
>sealed, so I feel adrift and don't know which one to pick.

I have an Escali scale that I would not recommend. It lacks a mode to weigh
in pounds and fractions of pounds. Pounds is how food is sold in America.
If I want to check what I've bought I have to weigh in ounces or grams and
convert.

Having a page on kitchen equipment I have studied what is out there. I
confirmed that the top selling http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N07KUE/
EatSmart Precision Pro has the pounds feature. It measures in 0.1 ounce
increments. The Oxo only measures to 1/8 ounces, which is less accurate.
The EatSmart is only $25 and ships free.

Don. http://paleofood.com/kitchen-equipment.htm (e-mail at page bottom).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 12:44:03 -0400, Don Wiss >
wrote:

> Having a page on kitchen equipment I have studied what is out there. I
> confirmed that the top selling http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N07KUE/
> EatSmart Precision Pro has the pounds feature. It measures in 0.1 ounce
> increments.

Great! I wanted one that does both oz and grams. Looking.... aha! I
saw that one and wondered if such a small area for weighing would work
well. Good to see it takes ordinary batteries because a big complaint
about others was the cost of special batteries and how often they
needed to be replaced. What's your battery experience? Do you take
them out when the unit isn't in use? How long does it take to turn
off? "Too quickly" seemed to be a fairly universal complaint.

> The Oxo only measures to 1/8 ounces, which is less accurate.

How about a delay in displaying the new weight when adding or
subtracting volume?

> The EatSmart is only $25 and ships free.

I *like* free shipping and it tips the scale for me (no pun intended).
Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 10:03:59 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 31 May 2011 12:44:03 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:
>
>> Having a page on kitchen equipment I have studied what is out there. I
>> confirmed that the top selling http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N07KUE/
>> EatSmart Precision Pro has the pounds feature. It measures in 0.1 ounce
>> increments.

>Great! I wanted one that does both oz and grams. Looking.... aha! I
>saw that one and wondered if such a small area for weighing would work
>well. Good to see it takes ordinary batteries because a big complaint
>about others was the cost of special batteries and how often they
>needed to be replaced. What's your battery experience?

I have an Escali, not this EatSmart. My Escali takes a rectangular 9 volt
battery. I get more than a year out of them.

> Do you take
>them out when the unit isn't in use? How long does it take to turn
>off? "Too quickly" seemed to be a fairly universal complaint.

I do not take the battery out! I don't know how long before it turns off,
as I turn it off after use. As for the EatSmart, reading the comments finds
it turns off after three minutes.

>> The Oxo only measures to 1/8 ounces, which is less accurate.

>How about a delay in displaying the new weight when adding or
>subtracting volume?

My Escali is instantaneous. I thought they all were. I don't know why there
would be a delay.

>> The EatSmart is only $25 and ships free.

>I *like* free shipping and it tips the scale for me (no pun intended).
> Thanks!

Don. http://paleofood.com/kitchen-equipment.htm (e-mail at page bottom).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 10:03:59 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 31 May 2011 12:44:03 -0400, Don Wiss >
>wrote:
>
>> Having a page on kitchen equipment I have studied what is out there. I
>> confirmed that the top selling http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N07KUE/
>> EatSmart Precision Pro has the pounds feature. It measures in 0.1 ounce
>> increments.

>Great! I wanted one that does both oz and grams. Looking.... aha! I
>saw that one and wondered if such a small area for weighing would work
>well. Good to see it takes ordinary batteries because a big complaint
>about others was the cost of special batteries and how often they
>needed to be replaced. What's your battery experience? Do you take
>them out when the unit isn't in use? How long does it take to turn
>off? "Too quickly" seemed to be a fairly universal complaint.
>
>> The Oxo only measures to 1/8 ounces, which is less accurate.

That doesn't mean it's less accurate, no one needs better for food
prep... what, yer dealin' drugs?

This one looks good and is AC/DC
http://www.amazon.com/DIGITAL-POSTAL.../dp/B001T8W8HU

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> Bryan > wrote:
>
>> Ceylon cinnamon is very different from cassia.
>>

> Yes, they are... but can the average person tell the difference when
> they're mixed in with other flavorful ingredients? Highly unlikely.

That's the ticket. It's fairly easy to tell them in a side by side
comparison tasting, but once they are cooked in two different recipes
eaten at two different times? Plenty of folks lack the expertese and
trained pallete to tell.

But just telling isn't all there is to the question. If one tends to
produce a better end product then it's still a better source ingredient.
Ceylon cinnamon tends to produce a better end product. It's often worth
the higher price. Not always.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 9:46*am, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2011 04:00:36 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
> > On May 30, 10:50*pm, sf > wrote:

> > > I doubt they can when it's mixed with something else. *I finally tried
> > > my first Cinnabon a few months ago after much ado here in rfc about
> > > the type of cinnamon they use. *Big disappointment. *It was just
> > > another commercial, way too sweet, roll that was made with cinnamon.

> > Ceylon cinnamon is very different from cassia.

> Yes, they are... but can the average person tell the difference when
> they're mixed in with other flavorful ingredients? *Highly unlikely.

I definitely could., and so could my wife. She loves real cinnamon,
and I prefer cassia.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 10:42*am, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2011 17:33:04 +0200, "Giusi" >
> wrote:

> > > Yes, they are... but can the average person tell the difference when
> > > they're mixed in with other flavorful ingredients? *Highly unlikely..

> > Do you believe one can use any quality and not affect the end product? *I
> > don't. *I get the best I can find or afford and I think there is a notable
> > difference.

> I said I doubt the average person can tell the difference between
> cassia and Ceylon when it's used in something like a cinnamon roll.
> <shrug> *Like I said previously, all I could taste was cinnamon
> flavored sugar in that Cinnabon. *So if they were selling them for
> such an outrageous price due to Ceylon cinnamon, it was lost on me and
> I haven't gone back for more.

Cinnabon is made with cassia.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 14:39:24 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> Cinnabon is made with cassia.

Can't prove it by me. All I remember about the talk is the cinnamon
was supposed to be wonderful and it wasn't touted as cassia. Have
they changed recently?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 11:42*am, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2011 17:33:04 +0200, "Giusi" >
> wrote:

> > > Yes, they are... but can the average person tell the difference when
> > > they're mixed in with other flavorful ingredients? *Highly unlikely..

> > Do you believe one can use any quality and not affect the end product? *I
> > don't. *I get the best I can find or afford and I think there is a notable
> > difference.

> I said I doubt the average person can tell the difference between
> cassia and Ceylon when it's used in something like a cinnamon roll.
> <shrug> *Like I said previously, all I could taste was cinnamon
> flavored sugar in that Cinnabon. *So if they were selling them for
> such an outrageous price due to Ceylon cinnamon, it was lost on me and
> I haven't gone back for more.
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Cinnabon doesn't use Ceylon cinnamon. Cinnabon used to advertise they
used korintje cinnamon. Now they say they use makara cinnamon, which
actually is their own "brand" of Korintje. If you read anything put
out by Cinnabon, they will say they use makara cinnamon. Besides,
there is no way to mistake Ceylon cinnamon for any variety of cassia.
So your guess that the average person can't tell the difference
between them is full of hot air. Most Americans are accustomed to
cassia cinnamon; the average person would be hard-pressed to identify
ceylon as cinnamon in a blind test, but they would definitely be able
to distringuis from other types. Have you ever gone to a Penzeys store
and sniffed the 4 varieties? Do it once and anyone with sinuses that
are not clogged will be able to tell the difference. You obviously
have never tried. If you had, you'd know your guess is just that: a
guess and full of crap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Don Wiss > wrote:

> I have an Escali scale that I would not recommend. It lacks a mode to weigh
> in pounds and fractions of pounds. Pounds is how food is sold in America.
> If I want to check what I've bought I have to weigh in ounces or grams and
> convert.
>
> Having a page on kitchen equipment I have studied what is out there. I
> confirmed that the top selling http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N07KUE/
> EatSmart Precision Pro has the pounds feature. It measures in 0.1 ounce
> increments. The Oxo only measures to 1/8 ounces, which is less accurate.
> The EatSmart is only $25 and ships free.

Which Escali do you have, Don? My Escali Primo digital scale weighs in
pounds, ounces, grams. I use the tare feature all the time. "Fractions
of pounds?" A stick of butter shows up as 4 ounces. Five sticks show
1: 4.0 (one pound, four ounces), or 20 ounces if that's my choice.
I've had it for several years and I love it. About $25, too.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 30, 9:04*pm, Don Wiss > wrote:
> I make my own applesauce. I eat some every day. I also use it as my vehicle
> for cinnamon consumption. Hence I go through about two pounds a year.
>
> From my food coop I now buy what I believe is:
> Cinnamon Powder, Korintje (A grade) (3% oil) (Cinnamomum burmannii)
>
> as seen midway down hehttp://www.frontiercoop.com/products...innamon+Powder
>
> I can special order anything on the page for about 60% of the price shown
> there. You will see that I have a choice of types. For example:
>
> Cinnamomum verum
> Cinnamomum aromaticum
> Cinnamomum burmannii
> Cinnamomum loureirii
>
> I see there is an oil percent difference, ranging from 3% to 5%. Does this
> mean stronger?
>
> Can people detect a difference between cinnamons?
>
> Don.http://paleofood.com/kitchen-equipment.htm(e-mail at page bottom).

You could also add coffee to your vehicle list. I keep a salt shaker
of cinnamon on the back of the stove and give my coffee a few shakes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 1, 9:23*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> On May 30, 9:04*pm, Don Wiss > wrote:
>

> > I make my own applesauce. I eat some every day. I also use it as my vehicle
> > for cinnamon consumption. Hence I go through about two pounds a year.

> > From my food coop I now buy what I believe is:
> > Cinnamon Powder, Korintje (A grade) (3% oil) (Cinnamomum burmannii)

> > as seen midway down hehttp://www.frontiercoop.com/products...innamon+Powder

> > I can special order anything on the page for about 60% of the price shown
> > there. You will see that I have a choice of types. For example:

> > Cinnamomum verum
> > Cinnamomum aromaticum
> > Cinnamomum burmannii
> > Cinnamomum loureirii

> > I see there is an oil percent difference, ranging from 3% to 5%. Does this
> > mean stronger?

> > Can people detect a difference between cinnamons?

> > Don.http://paleofood.com/kitchen-equipment.htm(e-mailat page bottom).

> You could also add coffee to your vehicle list. *I keep a salt shaker
> of cinnamon on the back of the stove and give my coffee a few shakes.

==
If you like flavored coffee try a bit of nutmeg plus cinnamon.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2011 21:04:09 -0400, Don Wiss >
> wrote:
>
>> Can people detect a difference between cinnamons?

> I doubt they can when it's mixed with something else. I finally tried
> my first Cinnabon a few months ago after much ado here in rfc about
> the type of cinnamon they use. Big disappointment. It was just
> another commercial, way too sweet, roll that was made with cinnamon.

I used to get those on the way to work when I went past my stop so
I could admire the trees in Boston Public Garden en route. At
that point, I think one could get them without the icing. Now, I
see the icing glopped on, and that leads me to refrain, thank
goodness. I did discover I must have been allergic to the
cinnamon they used, because I started getting headaches if I
consumed them daily. I see that they use what they call Makara
cinnamon, which is part of the Cinnamomum cassia family and may be
another name for Korintje cinnamon. I find this interesting
because I have had no problem with anything but Cinnabon's cinnamon.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2011 17:33:04 +0200, "Giusi" >
> wrote:

>>> Yes, they are... but can the average person tell the difference when
>>> they're mixed in with other flavorful ingredients? Highly unlikely.

>> Do you believe one can use any quality and not affect the end product? I
>> don't. I get the best I can find or afford and I think there is a notable
>> difference.
>>

> I said I doubt the average person can tell the difference between
> cassia and Ceylon when it's used in something like a cinnamon roll.
> <shrug> Like I said previously, all I could taste was cinnamon
> flavored sugar in that Cinnabon. So if they were selling them for
> such an outrageous price due to Ceylon cinnamon, it was lost on me and
> I haven't gone back for more.

That depends. I find the Ceylon cinnamon to be a lot less
flavorful than the cassia is. I was just using cinnamon (cassia)
last night and pondering which to use. I ended up using both
Vietnamese and Chinese cassia. I smelled the non-cassia and put
it back. I like bold flavors, so if I do use the cinnamon, I use
it with cassia, thinking it will add some other element to the
flavor. I can't say I have observed that though.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> Bryan > wrote:
>>
>>> Ceylon cinnamon is very different from cassia.
>>>

>> Yes, they are... but can the average person tell the difference when
>> they're mixed in with other flavorful ingredients? Highly unlikely.

> That's the ticket. It's fairly easy to tell them in a side by side
> comparison tasting, but once they are cooked in two different recipes
> eaten at two different times? Plenty of folks lack the expertese and
> trained pallete to tell.
>
> But just telling isn't all there is to the question. If one tends to
> produce a better end product then it's still a better source ingredient.
> Ceylon cinnamon tends to produce a better end product. It's often worth
> the higher price. Not always.

Well, "better" is frequently (always?) a matter of taste. I would
think something made of cinnamon (as vs. cassia) was deficient in
flavor.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011, Kalmia > wrote:

>You could also add coffee to your vehicle list. I keep a salt shaker
>of cinnamon on the back of the stove and give my coffee a few shakes.

Except I never drink coffee. I do drink tea. Usually green or white tea
these days. For a while I was soaking cinnamon sticks in a gallon of warm
water and then storing in the refrigerator to use for tea. But only for
black tea. The cinnamon overwhelms the more delicate green teas.

Don. http://paleodiet.com/definition.htm (e-mail link at page bottom).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Don Wiss > wrote:
>
>> I have an Escali scale that I would not recommend. It lacks a mode to weigh
>> in pounds and fractions of pounds. Pounds is how food is sold in America.
>> If I want to check what I've bought I have to weigh in ounces or grams and
>> convert.
>>
>> Having a page on kitchen equipment I have studied what is out there. I
>> confirmed that the top selling http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N07KUE/
>> EatSmart Precision Pro has the pounds feature. It measures in 0.1 ounce
>> increments. The Oxo only measures to 1/8 ounces, which is less accurate.
>> The EatSmart is only $25 and ships free.

>Which Escali do you have, Don? My Escali Primo digital scale weighs in
>pounds, ounces, grams. I use the tare feature all the time. "Fractions
>of pounds?" A stick of butter shows up as 4 ounces. Five sticks show
>1: 4.0 (one pound, four ounces), or 20 ounces if that's my choice.
>I've had it for several years and I love it. About $25, too.

I bought mine many years ago and it cost me a lot more than $25. I went
downstairs to look for the model. There is no model information anywhere on
it. It just has maximum 13 lbs, 9-volt and made in China.

Yours, like mine and apparently all Escalis, does not have fractions of
pounds.

Don. http://paleofood.com/kitchen-equipment.htm (e-mail at page bottom).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Yes, they are... but can the average person tell the difference when
> they're mixed in with other flavorful ingredients? Highly unlikely.

But in this distinguished forum, we're all ABOVE average, aren't we? So how
can we possibly comment on the abilities (or disabilities) of average
people?

I for one can tell the difference between the cinnamons. But I still like
them all.

Bob