Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The bears are back in town

Not to be confused with the Thin Lizzy song.

Mom's empty dog food cans were the initial draw, I suspect.
Regardless, the bear apparently suspected the bag of dog food behind
the locked shed door and made short work of that minor hindrance.

I'm now loading my 44 mag with bear grade rounds and keeping it near.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/04/2011 5:42 PM, Andy wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> Not to be confused with the Thin Lizzy song.
>>
>> Mom's empty dog food cans were the initial draw, I suspect.
>> Regardless, the bear apparently suspected the bag of dog food behind
>> the locked shed door and made short work of that minor hindrance.
>>
>> I'm now loading my 44 mag with bear grade rounds and keeping it near.
>>
>> nb

> nb,
>
> Better safe than sorry!!!
>
> Pennsylvania has the largest population of black bears in the USA.
>
> Thanks to landfills and housing development (deforestation) they're
> spreading out into residential areas.
>
> I wouldn't walk my woods without a firearm or two!!!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Only thing to be afraid of in my neck of the woods are the drop bears.

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/04/2011 7:27 PM, Andy wrote:
> > wrote:

> near.

>>> nb,
>>>
>>> Better safe than sorry!!!
>>>
>>> Pennsylvania has the largest population of black bears in the USA.
>>>
>>> Thanks to landfills and housing development (deforestation) they're
>>> spreading out into residential areas.
>>>
>>> I wouldn't walk my woods without a firearm or two!!!
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> Only thing to be afraid of in my neck of the woods are the drop bears.
>>
>> Krypsis

> Krypsis,
>
> If that means Kualas? That is a problem!
>
> Last I heard, the Kualas were overpopulating Tasmania. A pest animal
> there.
>
> True or false?
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Yep! they are taking over the place! That's why we're sending some
asylum seekers to Tasmania. We figure if we put the detention centre
right in the middle of the drop bears territory, it might solve the
asylum seeker problem for us. If it works really well, we might just
offer drop bears to Europe where they have really serious asylum seeker
problems. Might get in first myself and start some mass trapping of drop
bears. Get ready for the rush on them, if you see what I mean.

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-23, Omelet > wrote:

> A decent pump Mossberg can be had for around 100 bucks.

No need. Gotta Ithaca sawed-off (legal) for house pests.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Swallows' "friend with benefits" wrote:

>> Mom's empty dog food cans were the initial draw, I suspect.
>> Regardless, the bear apparently suspected the bag of dog food behind
>> the locked shed door and made short work of that minor hindrance.
>>
>> I'm now loading my 44 mag with bear grade rounds and keeping it near.
>>
>> nb

> You could leave a light coating of Citronella over the bins

Uh, no. On THIS continent, bears are big animals. Big, hungry, strong, fast,
and armed with sharp claws and teeth. They will not be deterred in the
slightest by "a light coating of Citronella". It would be no more effective
than a light coating of honey.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-24, Omelet > wrote:

> Cool! Dad's got an Ithaca semi-auto.
> Ticked the hell out of the Benelli owners when dad beat them a couple of
> times at turkey shoots. <g>

I bet!

This is an old Featherlight pump. So old, I can't get a new barrel
from the factory, so am stuck with this 18.5" hacked one. But, I love
the action. Machined solid billet, bottom ejection, and so smooth I
can cycle the pump w/o touching it. Jes grab barrel and stock grip
and jerk entire gun hard and fast enough and the pump will cycle from
inertia. Even more fun, jes hold the trigger down and pump. It'll
fire on each forward pump. Big fun when doing landscaping.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-24, Omelet > wrote:

> It does sound like fun. <g>
> I take it that a Mossberg or other barrel would not fit the threading?

Nope. It's a real unique barrel configuration that comes apart with a
quarter turn. I recall when I first got it about 25 yrs ago, the
company said I'd hafta send it in cuz a new barrel needed to be hand
fitted. I didn't worry about it too much, then, as I had a couple
other shotguns. Now I'm down to this one and I called Ithaca about
getting a new barrel w/ interchangable chokes. They said they don't
even make barrels for guns this old ('50s), anymore, and if I wanted a
new barrel I'd hafta buy a whole new gun. I no longer hunt upland
game and suck at trap, so probably won't bother.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/04/2011 6:51 PM, Omelet wrote:

> Too bad you don't have a close friend with a machine shop. Since
> shotgun barrels are not rifled, it should be possible to make one with
> the right set up.
>
> BTW, the only way to get better at Trap is practice.<g> Cheek the stock
> tightly and follow the clay with your eyes. Track the gun the same way.
> I can generally get 2 out of 5 now, but I've only shot trap maybe a
> dozen times so I'm still learning.
>
> The hardest part was learning to NOT try to aim the traditional way!

The traditional way? Shooting at a moving target traditionally involve
leading the target. The amount of lead depend on the distance, speed and
the angle of the target's direction in relation to the shooter. You
have a split second to to figure it out.

I had a funny experience at a (glass) turkey shoot at a friend's place.
I confess to being a rotten shot at still targets with sights, but I was
a natural with shotgun and moving targets. There was a guy with a very
expensive over and under with ventilated rib, lots of fancy engraving
and fancy stock. He had paid about $5,000 for the gun, and this was more
than 25 years ago. My gun was an East Germany made double barrel that I
paid $135 for.

He loaded his own shells. According to him, that was the only way to
ensure reliability. I had a couple boxes of cheap store brand shells.
He said that my gun was a piece of crap and my shells were crap and I
would be lucky to hit the target.

He did not buy my philosophy..... you need a shotgun that fits, so that
when you pick it up you are looking right down the barrel, use the right
choke and the proper shot size for the job. If you pull the trigger and
they go bang, that's all that really matters.

I walked away with the glass turkey.He came in 5th, and everyone else
you had heard his bragging was laughing at him.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-26, Omelet > wrote:

><snicker> It's not the gun that makes the difference. The Benelli
> owners learned that and bitched and moaned about being beat by an
> Ithaca.

I love Ithicas. Also, being an old coot, I adore side-by-side's
(S/S). Ithica used to sell S/Ss made by SKB of Japan. Absolutely
beautiful guns. I'd give give a rusty molar cap for one. SKB, which
has been making great shotguns for over 150 yrs also sold under the
Weatherby name. If I ever buy another shotgun, it'll be an SKB, which
BTW still makes an O/U for under $2K.

I'd tell yer dad to hang onto the semi-auto Ithica. Appears they no
longer make them.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>
>> Too bad you don't have a close friend with a machine shop. Since
>> shotgun barrels are not rifled, it should be possible to make one with
>> the right set up.

My 16th birthday present was a shot gun with two barrels. One was a
modified choke. The other was a rifled barrel. At the time deer
hunting in my geography was restricted to shot gun not rifle because of
the population density. In the years since hunting has dropped enough
in popularity they now allow rifles just to keep the deer population in
check.

>> BTW, the only way to get better at Trap is practice.<g>
>> The hardest part was learning to NOT try to aim the traditional way!

> The traditional way?

I learned to shot a rifle before I learned to shot a shot gun. So to me
the traditional way is to aim carefully as if I'm about to shot a
rabbit or like I have the rifled barrel in place and I'm about to shot a
deer.

> I had a funny experience at a (glass) turkey shoot at a friend's place.
> I confess to being a rotten shot at still targets with sights, but I was
> a natural with shotgun and moving targets.

My skills run the opposite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I'm happy with both my mossy's.

On mine the safety switch is on the top. Nice feature if you're left
handed. I don't have to fumble with it just flip up my thumb and it's
good to go.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>> > The traditional way?

>> I learned to shoot a rifle before I learned to shoot a shot gun. So to me
>> the traditional way is to aim carefully as if I'm about to shoot a
>> rabbit or like I have the rifled barrel in place and I'm about to shoot a
>> deer.

> Nathan and his friends are trying to help me out. At first
> they ignored me as I was "just a girl" until I shot a hanging clay that
> had landed in a tree about 50 yards away, free standing with my .22. <g>

That's a very close shot for a rifle. The only hard part is avoiding
any intervening twings that would deflect the bullet.

> Shotguns are just totally different from rifle.

But it's not a close shot for a shot gun. More like a typical distance
to hit a pheasant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/04/2011 2:33 AM, Omelet wrote:

> Same here. Nathan and his friends are trying to help me out. At first
> they ignored me as I was "just a girl" until I shot a hanging clay that
> had landed in a tree about 50 yards away, free standing with my .22.<g>
> Shotguns are just totally different from rifle.

You shot at a target in a tree? No safe back stop?
I guess they skipped the gun safety instruction.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-23, notbob > wrote:

> I'm now loading my 44 mag with bear grade rounds and keeping it near.

Damn bear came back on third night and tore door hasp along with 1x4
trim board off shed door. I thought I'd moved all dog food out that
shed, but it found another 25lb bag. Fortunately, it didn't smell all
the meat in the small deep freeze or he'd have destroyed that sucker.
I boarded up the door with a piece of surplus 2x8 and 8" spike nails
till I can get the right lumber to repair it.

At night, Mom's stupid dog will bark at me as I creep to the bathroom,
through a closed door from three rooms away, but not utter a peep
while damn bear is tearing the door off the shed not 10 ft outside
their bedroom wall. Stupid dog.

I was jes talkin' large when I said about my 44 mag, above. No longer!
Fully loaded and under my pillow, last night, and latched the sliding
glass door, too. Worry not. I'd never actually shoot the bear, but a
44 mag revolver has a deafening report and puts on a spectacular light
show, at night. Stupid bear.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 28, 8:55*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>

> *notbob > wrote:
> > On 2011-04-23, notbob > wrote:

> > > I'm now loading my 44 mag with bear grade rounds and keeping it near.

> > Damn bear came back on third night and tore door hasp along with 1x4
> > trim board off shed door. *I thought I'd moved all dog food out that
> > shed, but it found another 25lb bag. *Fortunately, it didn't smell all
> > the meat in the small deep freeze or he'd have destroyed that sucker.
> > I boarded up the door with a piece of surplus 2x8 and 8" spike nails
> > till I can get the right lumber to repair it.

> > At night, Mom's stupid dog will bark at me as I creep to the bathroom,
> > through a closed door from three rooms away, but not utter a peep
> > while damn bear is tearing the door off the shed not 10 ft outside
> > their bedroom wall. *Stupid dog.

> > I was jes talkin' large when I said about my 44 mag, above. *No longer!
> > Fully loaded and under my pillow, last night, and latched the sliding
> > glass door, too. *Worry not. *I'd never actually shoot the bear, but a
> > 44 mag revolver has a deafening report and puts on a spectacular light
> > show, at night. *Stupid bear. *

> > nb

> Good luck!
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- Mark Twain

==
Yes, he'll need good luck unless he gets serious and either has it
trapped or eliminated. Once they start raiding buildings they don't
let things like glass patio doors stop them. Maybe he should talk to
the local Wildlife Officer for advice.
==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-28, notbob > wrote:

> show, at night. Stupid bear.

Not so stupid!

Came back last night. Couldn't get by the 2x8 I'd nailed across door,
so jes ripped entire door above it completely off! Also discovered
the deep freeze fulla meat. Woke up to frozen meat scattered
everywhere around the yard and deep freeze lying on it's side. I was
even awake between 3-5am. Didn't hear a thing. Stupid me.

Been dealing CO Div of Wildlife all day and now have large trailered
bear trap out front baited with everything from fresh strawberries and
watermelon to whole chickens slathered in bacon grease and dripping
with pancake syrup. The dog was mute, all night. Stupid dog.

The song continues. :|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bear onboard (was The bears...)

On 2011-04-30, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-04-28, notbob > wrote:
> Been dealing CO Div of Wildlife all day and now have large trailered
> bear trap out front baited with everything from fresh strawberries and
> watermelon to whole chickens slathered in bacon grease and dripping
> with pancake syrup.

Got the tricky devil. Big blackie tripped the trap about 11:00 last
night. Ranger came out and made sure bear and trap were secured.
Said he be back in morning to see if any cubs in the trees. Appear to
be none. Already tagged from another county, so this bear has been
around. Sometimes, when bears get too aggresive/persistent, they put
them down. Not sure about this one, but he looks to have a history.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2011-04-30, notbob > wrote:
>> On 2011-04-28, notbob > wrote:
>> Been dealing CO Div of Wildlife all day and now have large trailered
>> bear trap out front baited with everything from fresh strawberries
>> and watermelon to whole chickens slathered in bacon grease and
>> dripping with pancake syrup.

> Got the tricky devil. Big blackie tripped the trap about 11:00 last
> night. Ranger came out and made sure bear and trap were secured.
> Said he be back in morning to see if any cubs in the trees. Appear to
> be none. Already tagged from another county, so this bear has been
> around. Sometimes, when bears get too aggresive/persistent, they put
> them down. Not sure about this one, but he looks to have a history.

Oh, I hope not, but I'm glad he's being moved away from your
place. I'd be scared to death.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-30, Nancy Young > wrote:

> Oh, I hope not, but I'm glad he's being moved away from your
> place. I'd be scared to death.

It's a shame, but that poor bear is not long for this world.

CO DOW dictates if a bear has been caught and tagged once, the 2nd
time they put 'em down. That's why all the DOW trucks/cars have
bumper stickers saying "garbage kills bears". So sad, but I've seen
'em on our deck almost every year since I moved here. When might one
decide to come thru the door, as this one so plainly proved it was
more than capable of doing. No thanks.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2011-04-30, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
>> Oh, I hope not, but I'm glad he's being moved away from your
>> place. I'd be scared to death.

> It's a shame, but that poor bear is not long for this world.

Bummer. What are you going to do, if it's a menace.

> CO DOW dictates if a bear has been caught and tagged once, the 2nd
> time they put 'em down. That's why all the DOW trucks/cars have
> bumper stickers saying "garbage kills bears". So sad, but I've seen
> 'em on our deck almost every year since I moved here. When might one
> decide to come thru the door, as this one so plainly proved it was
> more than capable of doing. No thanks.

I came across a bear print when I was hiking once, that's when I
learned that, while they're gorgeous animals, I don't want to see
them up close and personal. Certainly not knocking at my back door.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-30, Nancy Young > wrote:

> Bummer. What are you going to do, if it's a menace.

Yep.

What surprised me was the ranger telling me that ALL bear sightings
need to be reported IMMEDIATELY, regardless of the threat level.
Redirecting a young bear away from bad habits as soon as possible is
in the bear's best interest. Just tolerating them and not reporting
them when they do what appears to be nothing bad is essentially what
starts them down the wrong road.

nb