Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Beef Burgundy

On 2011-04-16, Kent > wrote:

> Beef Burgundy

Anthony Bourdain's 8th Season has a whole episode on techniques and
the dishes anyone who calls himself a cook should know. Great
episode from Tony doing a brain dead simple beef burgundy to Thomas
Keller of French Laundry demonstrating a likewise simple roast
chicken. You gotta watch the whole episode to see the entire beef
burgundy cuz he breaks it up into sections between the other dishes.
Worth every minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaVbpQQrDL0 (1/3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6yLuNRgiLg (2/3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAwCKmSmVGU (3/3)

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob posted:

> Anthony Bourdain's 8th Season has a whole episode on techniques and
> the dishes anyone who calls himself a cook should know. Great
> episode from Tony doing a brain dead simple beef burgundy to Thomas
> Keller of French Laundry demonstrating a likewise simple roast
> chicken. You gotta watch the whole episode to see the entire beef
> burgundy cuz he breaks it up into sections between the other dishes.
> Worth every minute.
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaVbpQQrDL0 (1/3)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6yLuNRgiLg (2/3)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAwCKmSmVGU (3/3)

I wonder how many here would take issue with Jacques Pepin because his
omelet is "nice and brown."

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:36:32 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> I wonder how many here would take issue with Jacques Pepin because his
> omelet is "nice and brown."

Raising hand. If he makes it and doesn't require me to eat it, I
don't even have to look at it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:36:32 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>notbob posted:
>
>> Anthony Bourdain's 8th Season has a whole episode on techniques and
>> the dishes anyone who calls himself a cook should know. Great
>> episode from Tony doing a brain dead simple beef burgundy to Thomas
>> Keller of French Laundry demonstrating a likewise simple roast
>> chicken. You gotta watch the whole episode to see the entire beef
>> burgundy cuz he breaks it up into sections between the other dishes.
>> Worth every minute.
>>

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaVbpQQrDL0 (1/3)
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6yLuNRgiLg (2/3)
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAwCKmSmVGU (3/3)

>I wonder how many here would take issue with Jacques Pepin because his
>omelet is "nice and brown."
>
>Bob

Me for sure. Sorry, no brown omelets for me.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> I wonder how many here would take issue with Jacques Pepin because his
> omelet is "nice and brown."
>
> Bob

I admit I was a little surprised by that. I don't recall Julia Child
ever espousing browned omelets?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

>> I wonder how many here would take issue with Jacques Pepin because his
>> omelet is "nice and brown."

> I admit I was a little surprised by that. I don't recall Julia Child ever
> espousing browned omelets?

Julia and Jacques disagree in several details about omelet-making:

-Jacques advocated beating the eggs so thoroughly that you couldn't see
streaks of white. Julia said to only beat until barely combined with the
salt, pepper, and optional water.

-Jacques said to cook over medium-high heat, and that cooking over high heat
toughened the eggs. Julia said to cook over the highest heat.

-Jacques said to push the edges of the omelet into the middle so the
uncooked egg could run to the edges; Julia said to jerk the pan toward you
again and again so that the far end would curl on itself and the uncooked
egg would run into the near edge of the pan.

When it comes to browning, I prefer omelets to be very, very slightly
browned so that they're slightly crisp on the outside while still being
custardy inside. Pure-yellow omelets seem underdone (and look mass-produced)
to me. This preference is even more pronounced when it comes to soufflé
omelets, which I sometimes sprinkle with powdered sugar and finish with a
blowtorch.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> When it comes to browning, I prefer omelets to be very, very slightly
> browned so that they're slightly crisp on the outside while still being
> custardy inside. Pure-yellow omelets seem underdone (and look mass-produced)
> to me. This preference is even more pronounced when it comes to soufflé
> omelets, which I sometimes sprinkle with powdered sugar and finish with a
> blowtorch.

As as child, the only way I remember asparagus was sliced on the bias in
1 inch segments, then sauteed in olive oil and salted and peppered to
taste. My father also did this asparagus prep for eggs, pouring the eggs
over the cooked asparagus and then cooking these scrambled eggs until
firm and browned. Kinda unappealing looking to me.

It also wasn't unheard of to then slap this scrambled egg and asparagus
in between crusty Italian bread slices for a sandwich. If he'd fried
some potatoes up also he was in hog heaven! He said as child carrying a
lunch bag to school, you could always tell the Italian kids lunches
because the fried pepper and onion, egg or veggies done in olive oil
would start to spot through the wax paper/brown bag, LOL. No dainty
little Wonder bread peanut butter sandwiches for this crew!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-17, Goomba > wrote:

> I admit I was a little surprised by that. I don't recall Julia Child
> ever espousing browned omelets?

Likewise. I learned how to cook a Fr style omelet, too. Low and slow
enough to make even the most fanatical BBQ'er fidgit. I once saw it
done so low and slow, the chef cooked the eggs in a glass bowl over a
pot of boiling water. Took about 10 mins. OTOH, it imparts a yolk
flavor that's totally unique, almost like eating pure yolks w/ no
whites. A great dish if one has the patience.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-17, Goomba > wrote:

> would start to spot through the wax paper/brown bag, LOL. No dainty
> little Wonder bread peanut butter sandwiches for this crew!

There's a lot to be said for those white trash bag lunches.

I once tried taking the classic wht bread and baloney sandwich to new
culinary heights and it worked very well. I bought the very best
white bread, at that time, Orowheat's Country White Bread. I used
Oscar Meyer's beef bologna and Best Foods mayo. I even cut off the
crusts for that haute cuisine touch. If only I could have properly
aged the sandwich in a brown paper bag, in a damp grade school coat
room, fullova buncha red rubber playground balls.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 9:35*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-04-17, > wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:36:32 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
> >>I wonder how many here would take issue with Jacques Pepin because his
> >>omelet is "nice and brown."

> >>Bob

> > Me for sure. Sorry, no brown omelets for me.

> That certainly was a puzzlement. *Almost every cooking show on Fr
> cooking eschews taking an egg to brown. *
>
> I did notice he said you can stop while the center is still wet. *I
> learned that from an ex-girlfriend who hated not only the browned, but
> the dried out, scrambled eggs that are so common on US tables. *I
> learned to cook and even prefer a partially cooked scrambled egg with
> plenty of liquidy goodness remaining.
>
> nb * *

I like a slightly browned omelet. I don't use high heat either.
Medium at most. I lift up edges and let the wet part of the egg get
in there. If I add cheese, I'll top off the pan with a lid (turning
heat down somewhat) or put it under a broiler for a quick cheese melt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2011-04-17, Goomba > wrote:
>
> > I admit I was a little surprised by that. I don't recall Julia Child
> > ever espousing browned omelets?

> Likewise. I learned how to cook a Fr style omelet, too. Low and slow
> enough to make even the most fanatical BBQ'er fidgit. I once saw it
> done so low and slow, the chef cooked the eggs in a glass bowl over a
> pot of boiling water. Took about 10 mins. OTOH, it imparts a yolk
> flavor that's totally unique, almost like eating pure yolks w/ no
> whites. A great dish if one has the patience.

Piker. Nero Wolfe cooked his scrambled eggs for 40 minutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mother_Hunt

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-17, Dan Abel > wrote:

> Piker. Nero Wolfe cooked his scrambled eggs for 40 minutes.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mother_Hunt

That's not scrambled, that's salmonella eggs!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 5:11*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
> >> I wonder how many here would take issue with Jacques Pepin because his
> >> omelet is "nice and brown."

> > I admit I was a little surprised by that. I don't recall Julia Child ever
> > espousing browned omelets?

> Julia and Jacques disagree in several details about omelet-making:
>
> -Jacques advocated beating the eggs so thoroughly that you couldn't see
> streaks of white. Julia said to only beat until barely combined with the
> salt, pepper, and optional water.
>
> -Jacques said to cook over medium-high heat, and that cooking over high heat
> toughened the eggs. Julia said to cook over the highest heat.
>
> -Jacques said to push the edges of the omelet into the middle so the
> uncooked egg could run to the edges; Julia said to jerk the pan toward you
> again and again so that the far end would curl on itself and the uncooked
> egg would run into the near edge of the pan.
>
> When it comes to browning, I prefer omelets to be very, very slightly
> browned so that they're slightly crisp on the outside while still being
> custardy inside. Pure-yellow omelets seem underdone (and look mass-produced)
> to me. This preference is even more pronounced when it comes to souffl
> omelets, which I sometimes sprinkle with powdered sugar and finish with a
> blowtorch.
>
> Bob

To each his own, I guess. Although I like oatmeal that needs the
toasted part scraped up from the botom of the suacepan, I prefer
scrambled eggs moist, firm, and yellow. I consider browning a (edible)
failure. I learned to make the kind I like best from a short-order
cook in the luncheonette on the corner of Commonwealth and Harvard
Avenues in Allston, Mass in the '50s. He did them on a big grill about
4 feet by 8, heated to different temperatures in different places so
he could control cooking speed by moving things around. I adopted his
way to a skillet on a gas range. The slower response of cast iron to
changing heat makes non-stick aluminum easier, but a little practice
with cast-iron is all that's needed.

Scramble the bejabbers out of the eggs, using cream as the liquid. The
heaver the cream, the more you can use without the eggs becoming
runny. The colder the egg mix, the better the results. If you're
making a lot, scramble it all ahead of time and refrigerate the mix.
For one or two people, let the eggs rest in the freezer a bit.

Start with the heat up high. When the pan gets fairly warm, put half
an ounce of butter in the center of the pan, and when it starts to
bubble, begin dribbling in the egg. keep the egg in a heap in the
center of the pan, adding more as needed to keep the pan from
overheating. Before you run out of raw mix, turn the heat off (cast
iron) or way down (aluminum) and continue stirring in new egg as the
mix thickens. When it's still a bit too moist to serve, gather the egg
into a heap, move the skillet from the hot burner to a cool grate, and
let it "set". It will finish cooking with its internal temperature.
You may want to ass butter part way through, depending on how it stirs
up or sticks a bit. (Don't ask about the fat content!)

Jerry
--
"The rights of the best of men are secured only as the
rights of the vilest and most abhorrent are protected."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 10:53:19 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
wrote:

>You may want to ass butter part way through, depending on how it stirs
>up or sticks a bit. (Don't ask about the fat content!)
>
>Jerry

Jerry, I know you missed the "D" twice and hit the "S" by mistake, but
I have to tell you that you've given me the best laugh of the day so
far!

I'm not quite sure how one would "ass butter" but it sounds kind of
kinky...hahahaahaha

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 9:36*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> notbob posted:
>
> > Anthony Bourdain's 8th Season has a whole episode on techniques and
> > the dishes anyone who calls himself a cook should know. *Great
> > episode from Tony doing a brain dead simple beef burgundy to Thomas
> > Keller of French Laundry demonstrating a likewise simple roast
> > chicken. *You gotta watch the whole episode to see the entire beef
> > burgundy cuz he breaks it up into sections between the other dishes.
> > Worth every minute.

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaVbpQQrDL0* (1/3)
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6yLuNRgiLg* (2/3)
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAwCKmSmVGU* (3/3)

> I wonder how many here would take issue with Jacques Pepin because his
> omelet is "nice and brown."
>
> Bob

Usenet lacks a Like button. Dammit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-17, Omelet > wrote:

> I wonder what it is with him and the profanity? I'm not easily offended
> or anything, but it detracts. Makes him seem to be a lot more "low
> class" trash cook. :-(

He basically IS a "low class" trash cook. Haven't you read Kitchen
Confidential and his other books, yet? He freely admits to being a
freak and an outcast. He was a drug addict for 20 yrs. He also
admits he made it to "chef" way too soon, thanks to his years at CIA,
which was both affordable and more accessible back when he was young.

It jes so happens he's also a lifelong voracious reader and likes to
write and is very good at it. Better, I think, than he is a cook. I
think his natural skill as a wordsmith is exceptional, even when I
occasionally grow weary of his philosophical bents and subject matter.
He's so descriptive and quick with a clever phrase, he's bound to pull
curse terms into it, now and then. I can live with it .....no doubt
cuz I've been known to swear like a drunken sailor at the drop of a
pin.

He's mellowing with age, but oh sooo slowly.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-17, Omelet > wrote:

> I get fluffier eggs too by whisking them with a wire whisk with about 2
> tbs, if water per egg. Not milk, cream or 1/2&1/2, but just plain water!

I never add water or air to eggs. If I wanna taste air, I'll inhale.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I get fluffier eggs too by whisking them with a wire whisk with
> about
> 2 tbs, if water per egg. Not milk, cream or 1/2&1/2, but just plain
> water!

I always add a little water (although not as much as you). Makes the
eggs fluffier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default BB in a PC (was Beef Burgundy)

On 2011-04-16, notbob > wrote:

> episode from Tony doing a brain dead simple beef burgundy....

All these great recipes call for 3-5 hrs at sea level, no doubt. At
eight thousand feet, were talkin' 6-10 hrs. I've been searching web
for pressure cooker recipes for BB, but not having much luck finding
actual cooking times. Any PC fans have experience with PC method?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 15:46:41 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article
>,
> Jerry Avins > wrote:
>
>> You may want to ass butter part way through, depending on how it stirs
>> up or sticks a bit. (Don't ask about the fat content!)
>>
>> Jerry

>How does one "ass butter"? <g>
>Nice typo!

If you don't know, don't ask...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Apr 2011 13:44:52 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-04-17, Goomba > wrote:
>
>> I admit I was a little surprised by that. I don't recall Julia Child
>> ever espousing browned omelets?

>Likewise. I learned how to cook a Fr style omelet, too. Low and slow
>enough to make even the most fanatical BBQ'er fidgit. I once saw it
>done so low and slow, the chef cooked the eggs in a glass bowl over a
>pot of boiling water. Took about 10 mins. OTOH, it imparts a yolk
>flavor that's totally unique, almost like eating pure yolks w/ no
>whites. A great dish if one has the patience.

Why can't you last 10 minutes... you must be one of those guys with a
2"/2 minute fuse.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-17, Omelet > wrote:

> It's all about Texture nb!

I know. Isn't that what I said? If not, I'll elaborate: I will NOT
eat whipped food, regardless of the base. I don't like eating air!

Clear enough?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-18, Omelet > wrote:
> notbob > wrote:

>> eat whipped food, regardless of the base. I don't like eating air!

> And I don't like chewing on rubber. <g>

Fortunately, there's a positively brilliant compromise. It involves
no added milk, no added water, no added air, and no clueless
overcooking. Absolutely astonishing how well it works.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 5:44*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-04-16, notbob > wrote:
>
> > episode from Tony doing a brain dead simple beef burgundy....

> All these great recipes call for 3-5 hrs at sea level, no doubt. *At
> eight thousand feet, were talkin' 6-10 hrs. *I've been searching web
> for pressure cooker recipes for BB, but not having much luck finding
> actual cooking times. *Any PC fans have experience with PC method?
>
> nb

Here is a pressure cooker BB recipe from France Monthly:
http://www.francemonthly.com/n/0900/recipe.php
"Cover and simmer on the stove top over a medium low heat for two
hours. (50 minutes in a pressure cooker.)"

Happy Pressure Cooking!

Laura

http://www.hippressurecooking.com
making pressure cooking hip, one recipe at a time!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 05:16:48 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>just make sure to post a descriptive here when you do, Lee
>"Omelet" > wrote in message
>news

>>> Me for sure. Sorry, no brown omelets for me.
>>>
>>> koko

>> Same here. It's why dad likes my Omelets better than the ones he tried
>> to cook for himself. Mine are light and fluffy while his are half burnt.
>>
>> I've finally perfected the Microwave Omelet. Eggs in the microwave
>> usually come out rubbery. These are not. :-) Better than if I try doing
>> them in the non-stick omelet pan.
>>
>> I plan to do a photo series one of these days...
>> --
>> Peace! Om

There are many styles/methods for preparing "omelets" but the
traditional French omelet is prepared in a very particular way and has
no browned areas whatsoever. Martin Yan is the only celebrity chef
I've seen who consistantly demonstrates a correctly made French omelet
(trifold) and with effortless flair. Proper egg cookery is about the
most difficult element of cooking there is. Pepin is an accomplished
cook but is about the worst at egg cookery I've seen on TV... he even
needs both hands to crack an egg. Not all chefs are good cooks, nor
does one need to be a good cook to become a chef. The majority of a
chef's skills are in kitchen management, not cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 8:35*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-04-17, > wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:36:32 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
> >>I wonder how many here would take issue with Jacques Pepin because his
> >>omelet is "nice and brown."

> >>Bob

> > Me for sure. Sorry, no brown omelets for me.

> That certainly was a puzzlement. *Almost every cooking show on Fr
> cooking eschews taking an egg to brown. *
>
> I did notice he said you can stop while the center is still wet. *I
> learned that from an ex-girlfriend who hated not only the browned, but
> the dried out, scrambled eggs that are so common on US tables. *I
> learned to cook and even prefer a partially cooked scrambled egg with
> plenty of liquidy goodness remaining.
>
> nb * *

That "liquidy goodness" makes me gag. LOL. I like a little brown on
the outside, and soft and not dry on the inside - but you couldn't pay
me to eat, for instance, a soft-boiled egg.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 08:18:34 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On Apr 17, 8:35*am, notbob > wrote:
>> On 2011-04-17, > wrote:

>> > Me for sure. Sorry, no brown omelets for me.

>> That certainly was a puzzlement. *Almost every cooking show on Fr
>> cooking eschews taking an egg to brown. *
>>
>> I did notice he said you can stop while the center is still wet. *I
>> learned that from an ex-girlfriend who hated not only the browned, but
>> the dried out, scrambled eggs that are so common on US tables. *I
>> learned to cook and even prefer a partially cooked scrambled egg with
>> plenty of liquidy goodness remaining.
>>
>> nb * *

>That "liquidy goodness" makes me gag. LOL. I like a little brown on
>the outside, and soft and not dry on the inside - but you couldn't pay
>me to eat, for instance, a soft-boiled egg.
>
>N.

I feel the same way about "over-easy" eggs. Gag city! Nasty runny egg
white...eating it would make me throw chunks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-18, Nancy2 > wrote:

> That "liquidy goodness" makes me gag.

I don't mean raw egg whites, which I dislike. Scrambled eggs can be
cooked to where there is jes a touch of softness, yet still be fully
cooked.

> me to eat, for instance, a soft-boiled egg.

warm but runny yolk is one of the great delicacies.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

>> I learned to cook and even prefer a partially cooked scrambled egg with
>> plenty of liquidy goodness remaining.
>>
>> nb * *

>That "liquidy goodness" makes me gag. LOL.

A lot of females have that reaction. Ask to have your throat stroked
like how to get dogs to swallow pills. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> There are many styles/methods for preparing "omelets" but the
>> traditional French omelet is prepared in a very particular way and has
>> no browned areas whatsoever. Martin Yan is the only celebrity chef
>> I've seen who consistantly demonstrates a correctly made French omelet
>> (trifold) and with effortless flair.

>I actually do not care for the triple fold. I like the 1/2 moon shape
>and like to stuff my Omelets. I do not incorporate anything into the
>egg itself. It all goes into the center between two layers of eggs and
>I top it with cheese and melt it.
>
>I guess you could almost say it's like a sandwich with eggs in place of
>the bread. <g>

So you like sexy sandwiches... with you in the middle. LOL

>> Proper egg cookery is about the
>> most difficult element of cooking there is.

>Takes practice.
>
>> Pepin is an accomplished
>> cook but is about the worst at egg cookery I've seen on TV... he even
>> needs both hands to crack an egg.

>No kidding! What he actually demonstrated on that video was naught but
>glorified scrambled eggs! That was not an Omelet.
>
>> Not all chefs are good cooks, nor
>> does one need to be a good cook to become a chef. The majority of a
>> chef's skills are in kitchen management, not cooking.

>Perhaps... but they still should be able to cook and have enough feel
>for flavors to write a decent recipe!

I don't think so... many of the finast professional cooks are
illiterate, as are many with great artistic talent. It's the obverse
with keyboard kooks, they can write fantastic fantasy recipes but
that's where it begins and ends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Microwave Omelets (was Beef Burgundy)

great, Lee
news