Do you put eggs in your lasagna?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do you put eggs in your lasagna?

I used to make lasagna all the time. When my daughter was young, she loved
helping me wash all the veggies and assembling the lasagna. The only thing
she didn't like? Eating the lasagna. So I quit making it.

Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has discovered
frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it. But it contains
eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

Now when I used to make lasagna, it didn't come out the same way twice. I
didn't follow an exact recipe. I usually used ricotta cheese but
occasionally I would use cottage cheese instead if that is what I had in the
house. I have seen online that you can also use a mix of the two. To this,
I would always add an egg and some grated Italian cheese. Might be
mozzarella, Parmesan, Romano, Asiago, whatever I had in the house. Usually
a mix of things. I would also usually add some chopped spinach, but if I
had no spinach, I would add lots of parsley.

I found it best to cook the noodles first. I would put down a layer of
sauce. I usually made my own, tomato with added peppers, onions and maybe
mushrooms, maybe a bit of carrot, but not chunky. I would use my immersion
blender because I found that some kids wouldn't eat chunks of veggies.
Anyway... I would then put down a layer of the pasta, then some of the
cheese mixture. Then a layer of sliced sautéed zucchini (to help lower the
carb count and up the veggie count). Then more sauce, more cheese mix, more
pasta then more sauce. I would bake it through and just before it was done
I would add more grated cheese and leave it in the oven until melted.

I have learned from making my meatloaf with veggies (about 1/2 meat and 1/2
veggies) that it is best to sauté all the veggies before using them. This
allows most of the liquid to seep out and it concentrates the flavors. Much
better end result. So if I do make it again, I will for sure sauté the
spinach before adding it to the cheese.

Anyway... I am concerned about making this without the egg. I have seen a
discussion online and the results were very mixed. Some say they never add
egg. But some were not talking about a cheese and vegetable type. They
were talking about one with ground beef and béchamel sauce. Some did make
the cheese kind and said they never added egg and it worked. Others said
they never used ricotta or cottage cheese and only grated cheese. I could
see this working too, although the end result wouldn't be the same.

So have you successfully made a cheese or cheese and veggie lasagna with no
eggs? I have been buying the gluten free lasagna noodles but using them
broken in chunks for chicken and noodles.

I would LOVE to be able to make and eat lasagna again. My only other
problem is the amount that it makes. At one point I had a huge lasagna pan.
I will have to look. Am not sure I still have it. No matter what I do, I
wind up with soooo much of it! I have made this for my husband's extended
family (Italian, lots of people there for dinner) and although they loved
it, there was still enough for a second day. Yes, I know it freezes, but I
never seem to have room in my freezer for leftovers.

I did buy some smaller casserole dishes for us to use while my husband is
away. Perhaps what I should do is start by pulling out a set amount of
noodles, then cooking and only using those? Using the whole box would for
sure be overkill. Unless perhaps my husband is home. He has no problems
eating leftovers.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

To answer the subject line- yes, I put eggs in my lasagne. The only
vegetables in mine are the parsley in the cheese mixture, and whatever
is in the tomato sauce.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Yes, I know it freezes, but I
never seem to have room in my freezer for leftovers.

Perhaps you could freeze just the leftover sauce. That would take up much
less space.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 10-03-2011, 08:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

To answer the subject line- yes, I put eggs in my lasagne. The only
vegetables in mine are the parsley in the cheese mixture, and whatever is
in the tomato sauce.

Okay.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Yes, I know it freezes, but I
never seem to have room in my freezer for leftovers.

Perhaps you could freeze just the leftover sauce. That would take up much
less space.

I don't have just too much sauce. I just have too much of everything. And
I can guarantee you if I were to freeze sauce, it would never get used.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has
discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it. But
it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard of
it before, never thought it would have a place.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 05:58:20 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has
discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it. But
it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard of
it before, never thought it would have a place.

Goomba and I do. I mix a couple into the ricotta/parm cheese
layer. I think it holds the flavor & layer together and makes it
richer.

But obviously there are lots of ways to just leave them out. It's
lasagna-- there are no rules.

Jim
Old 10-03-2011, 12:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

But it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard
of
it before, never thought it would have a place.

Goomba and I do. I mix a couple into the ricotta/parm cheese layer.
I think it holds the flavor & layer together and makes it
richer.

But obviously there are lots of ways to just leave them out. It's
lasagna-- there are no rules.

Or at least there are not so many rules as it would seem here. Eggs might
be only in fresh pasta, too. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of
distinctly different lasagne, most of which don't have eggs other than in
possibly the pasta. My two favorites, artichoke and asparagus lasagne,
don't.

I would just let her eat the frozen junk once a month. I feel sure that it
could take years to copy it sans egg and still not please the princess.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 10, 4:58*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Fast forward several years. *Now we have food allergies. *She has
discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. *She loves it. *But
it contains eggs. *And I'm allergic to eggs.

You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. *Never heard of
it before, never thought it would have a place.

Never heard of that either. People put strange things into
casseroles.

--Bryan
Old 10-03-2011, 01:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 05:58:20 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard of
it before, never thought it would have a place.

Goomba and I do. I mix a couple into the ricotta/parm cheese
layer. I think it holds the flavor & layer together and makes it
richer.

But obviously there are lots of ways to just leave them out. It's
lasagna-- there are no rules.

Jim

FYI-I also add a bit of nutmeg to the cheese filling too.

My filling contains ricotta, Parmesan cheese, shredded mozzarella,eggs,
lots of chopped parsley and the nutmeg.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

It's lasagna-- there are no rules.

Thank God everyone can have his own opinion, and my one vastly differs from
yours. If you really want something that really has no rules call it "flat
noodles and stuff" and there you are.
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

Old 10-03-2011, 02:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

cutting to the chase
So have you successfully made a cheese or cheese and veggie lasagna with
no eggs?

No. I mix an egg in with the ricotta, as it seems most cooks do.

But I had an aunt who put sliced hard-cooked eggs in her lasagna. How's that
for nasty?

Felice

Old 10-03-2011, 03:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has
discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it. But
it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard
of it before, never thought it would have a place.

Really? I thought they were supposed to hold the cheese together?

Old 10-03-2011, 03:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has
discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it. But
it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard
of
it before, never thought it would have a place.

Never heard of that either. People put strange things into
casseroles.

---
If you read the recipe on the box of pasta, I'll bet it says to use egg.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

cutting to the chase
So have you successfully made a cheese or cheese and veggie lasagna with
no eggs?

No. I mix an egg in with the ricotta, as it seems most cooks do.

But I had an aunt who put sliced hard-cooked eggs in her lasagna. How's
that for nasty?

That sounds like something my mom would do. Thankfully she never made
lasagna.