Using a Induction hot plate as a slow cooker

Old 16-02-2011, 09:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Using a Induction hot plate as a slow cooker

I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.
Old 16-02-2011, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 1:27*pm, horusprim wrote:
I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

Why not just get a West Bend oblong slow cooker?
Old 16-02-2011, 10:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 16, 1:27*pm, horusprim wrote:
I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

You probably could, but your electric bill would suffer. You need to
check on the difference between using a crockpot and an induction
cooker. Big difference in electric usage.
Old 16-02-2011, 10:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:27:10 -0800 (PST), horusprim
wrote:

I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

I do this all the time, for chili and other items, with the very same
Burton hob and either a 7-qt. Le Creuset or a 6-qt. Calphalon
non-stick pot. Works fine.

-- Larry
Old 16-02-2011, 10:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 16, 1:27*pm, horusprim wrote:
I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

I checked and you can get one of these fancy schmancy programable
cookers for way less than the indudction top and it will cost you way
less to use.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach...sr=1-1-catcorr
Old 16-02-2011, 11:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:37:53 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
wrote:

You probably could, but your electric bill would suffer. You need to
check on the difference between using a crockpot and an induction
cooker. Big difference in electric usage.

Yes -- in favor of the induction hob. Induction is extremely
efficient. Much more so than an antique heating element and a ceramic
vessel.

-- Larry
Old 17-02-2011, 05:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:46:44 -0800 (PST) in rec.food.cooking,
ImStillMags wrote,
On Feb 16, 1:27*pm, horusprim wrote:
I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

I checked and you can get one of these fancy schmancy programable
cookers for way less than the indudction top

But the induction hob will do a lot more; it's 1800 Watts! I want
one, and I already have the slow cooker. Nobody is buying it *just*
for that!

and it will cost you way less to use.

How did you check that part?

Old 17-02-2011, 11:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 21:10:53 -0800, David Harmon
wrote:

[...]

Physics class?g Once you have them both [because you *will* own
them both] you can prove the theory with one of these;
P3 Kill-a-watt meter.

It's a handy $20 gadget to have around anyway.

Jim
Old 18-02-2011, 07:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

I do this all the time, for chili and other items, with the very same
Burton hob and either a 7-qt. Le Creuset or a 6-qt. Calphalon
non-stick pot. Works fine.

-- Larry

Thanks for your review.

Can you comment on the temperature settings? Can you set it to cook at
a specific temperature; like a regular, electric hot plate?