Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Manhattan clam chowder

Is it possible to make a good Manhattan clam chowder from canned
clams? I can do all the other ingredients fresh, but where I live,
canned clams are my only option. Open to suggestions, brands, and
recipes.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 2:11*pm, notbob > wrote:
> Is it possible to make a good Manhattan clam chowder from canned
> clams? *I can do all the other ingredients fresh, but where I live,
> canned clams are my only option. *Open to suggestions, brands, and
> recipes.
>
> nb

I googled Manhattan clam chowder and several recipes called for canned
clams.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

>Is it possible to make a good Manhattan clam chowder from canned
>clams? I can do all the other ingredients fresh, but where I live,
>canned clams are my only option. Open to suggestions, brands, and
>recipes.

Isn't 'good Manhattan chowder an oxymoron?<g> I prefer New
England-- but confess to having used canned clams without ruining
anything.

SeaWatch is the brand I've used recently. Bought them at Sams Club-
don't know if it is a store brand.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 2:16*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2:11*pm, notbob > wrote:
> I googled Manhattan clam chowder and several recipes called for canned
> clams.

I've used only canned clams for an excellent, revised by me, recipe
for abalone chowder that was served at the graduation luncheon when my
ex-husband became a cerftified scuba diver more than 40 years ago.
I've never cared for Manhatten because of the thinner tomato broth. I
only make New England style, but I'm sure canned clams do well in both
types of chowder....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Feb 2011 22:11:20 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Is it possible to make a good Manhattan clam chowder from canned
>clams?

Of course, as good as New England clam chowder with canned.

>I can do all the other ingredients fresh, but where I live,
>canned clams are my only option. Open to suggestions, brands, and
>recipes.

There are frozen clams, none better:
http://www.bobdoxsee.com/LONG%20ISLA...ea_clam_co.htm

Usually available only locally but I know they are shipped to distant
markets too... mostly high end restaurants and hotels... I've spotted
the containers in Las Vegas.

I've always much preferred Manhattan clam chowder, I really don't
consider New England clam chowder a legitimate chowder, it's always
too thin and its flavor too wussy, really a waste of clams... New
England clam chowder is for those who like to boast that they eat
clams but are too ascared to eat clams on the half shell.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 5:11*pm, notbob > wrote:
> Is it possible to make a good Manhattan clam chowder from canned
> clams? *I can do all the other ingredients fresh, but where I live,
> canned clams are my only option. *Open to suggestions, brands, and
> recipes.
>
> nb

Yes.

I use canned clams for chowders and clam linguine. I've had them
fresh - really fresh since I dug them out of the ocean. So much sand
though. e.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2011 4:11 PM, notbob wrote:
> Is it possible to make a good Manhattan clam chowder from canned
> clams? I can do all the other ingredients fresh, but where I live,
> canned clams are my only option. Open to suggestions, brands, and
> recipes.
>
> nb

Doxie® brand baby clams are, IMHO the best of the canned clams. They
also make diced clams and chopped clams. I used to get those when I
lived in the northeast. Here in Texas, I find the Neptune® brand to be
pretty good.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 5:11*pm, notbob > wrote:
> Is it possible to make a good Manhattan clam chowder from canned
> clams? *I can do all the other ingredients fresh, but where I live,
> canned clams are my only option. *Open to suggestions, brands, and
> recipes.
>
> nb

Restaurants buy the big cans of clams to make their chowder.

Lucille
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-02-13, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On 12 Feb 2011 22:11:20 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>>canned clams are my only option.

> There are frozen clams.....

What is it about "canned clams are my only option" you don't
understand?

You gonna pay the shipping costs of frozen clams to my abode or pay my
gasoline bill to drive 200 miles to the nearest store that may carry
non-canned clams? Has there been some sorta world-wide mass epidemic
of stupidity? I no longer get tv news, so may have missed that
particular bulletin.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lucille > wrote:

>On Feb 12, 5:11*pm, notbob > wrote:

>> Is it possible to make a good Manhattan clam chowder from canned
>> clams? *I can do all the other ingredients fresh, but where I live,
>> canned clams are my only option. *Open to suggestions, brands, and
>> recipes.
>>
>> nb

>Restaurants buy the big cans of clams to make their chowder.

That's my understanding also - canned chopped clams. And the clams they
started with are not anything you'd want in your clam linguini.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Feb 2011 03:14:15 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> What is it about "canned clams are my only option" you don't
> understand?

I haven't cooked with clams in a few years... but one brand
(Gorton's?) chops theirs large and I liked that. I've bought the tall
cans of whole clams many times and tried several brands, but they're
pretty much flavorless so I needed lots of bottled clam juice when I
used them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>I actually prefer canned clams over fresh for my chowders.

I'm not sure I've seen a suggested procedure for using fresh
clams in chowder. I'd be tempted to make up the chowder and
sort of steam the clams in the pot of chowder until they open,
fish them out with tongs, discard the shells and return the
clams to the chowder after chopping.

Is that approximately how it's done?

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 06:07:50 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

>> I'm not sure I've seen a suggested procedure for using fresh
>> clams in chowder. I'd be tempted to make up the chowder and
>> sort of steam the clams in the pot of chowder until they open,
>> fish them out with tongs, discard the shells and return the
>> clams to the chowder after chopping.

>> Is that approximately how it's done?

>They would be purged and cooked separately, filtering the juice to
>remove sand and grit before cooking in the chowder. That least that's
>how I would do it.

Sounds good

>Even the bowls of steamed clams you get in restaurants usually have
>grit in the bottom of the bowl (depending on the pre-prep, source and
>variety).

I used to find some sand in bowls of clam chowder at restaurants.
Not very recently though.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 00:41:56 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 06:07:50 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>>I actually prefer canned clams over fresh for my chowders.

>> I'm not sure I've seen a suggested procedure for using fresh
>> clams in chowder. I'd be tempted to make up the chowder and
>> sort of steam the clams in the pot of chowder until they open,
>> fish them out with tongs, discard the shells and return the
>> clams to the chowder after chopping.
>>
>> Is that approximately how it's done?

>They would be purged and cooked separately, filtering the juice to
>remove sand and grit before cooking in the chowder. That least that's
>how I would do it.

All nonsense. I've slurped clams at too many clam bars to think such
stupidity.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Is it possible to make a good Manhattan clam chowder from canned
> clams? I can do all the other ingredients fresh, but where I live,
> canned clams are my only option. Open to suggestions, brands, and
> recipes.
>
> nb

You can certainly make clam chowder from quality canned clams, however
there are only two types of clam chowder, New England (milk) and Rhode
Island (clear). Manhattan clam soup is not chowder by the wildest
stretch of the imagination, more like watered down red clam sauce for
pasta.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On 12 Feb 2011 22:11:20 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to make a good Manhattan clam chowder from canned
> > clams? I can do all the other ingredients fresh, but where I live,
> > canned clams are my only option. Open to suggestions, brands, and
> > recipes.

> The best brand of canned clams a
>
> http://img441.imageshack.us/i/clamswholesteamers.jpg/
>
> They are huge and tender - not like rubber bands at all. They also
> include a lot of juice, too. Barb had a can, but I never heard what
> she did with them.
>
> I actually prefer canned clams over fresh for my chowders. And you
> can't beat these clams.
>
> -sw

Agreed!! I was going to mention them but figured I'd be laughed off
The Cabal (TINC). I used them in clam sauce -- had no idea how big they
were; I sliced them into strips, I think, for my clam sauce (for pasta).
I've since found them locally (minced, too, I think, in a smaller can)
and every time I open the cupboard I think about all the best stuff I've
ever gotten in a food gift exchange -- all from you, too! Those Linday
green ripe olives are great, too. :-) And the salad dressing in the
triangular bottle. I've bought them all myself, based on my experience
with what you sent. Never would have chosen them myself before that.
You give good gift.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote:
>
> > You can certainly make clam chowder from quality canned clams, however
> > there are only two types of clam chowder, New England (milk) and Rhode
> > Island (clear). Manhattan clam soup is not chowder by the wildest
> > stretch of the imagination, more like watered down red clam sauce for
> > pasta.

> I had the NE clam chowder and it was thick and rich. The red Manhattan
> was watery like you said. Diluted. Never had RI's version. Isn't RI part
> of NE?

RI is part of NE, but has a bit different chowder variation without milk
or cream, otherwise it's largely the same as NE clam chowder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Aww, shucks (clam-related exclamation :-) You trying to butter me up
> right before Valentines Day?

Nah; if I were doing that, I'd've started a couple weeks ago to allow
for the US mail and all.

> Speaking of butter, breakfast was a grapefruit and fresh baked French
> demi-baguette spread with gorgonzola butter.
>
> -sw

I just posted a pic of my linguine with clam sauce on a.b.f.