Hot dogs and baked beans

Old 11-02-2011, 11:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hot dogs and baked beans

It's what's for dinner.
Hot dogs with wieners from Ready Meats on the other side of town; baked
beans (or not baked) from Bush's. I have some chunky mango relish
(blech!) from Harry & David that I'll use up either on the dogs or in
the beans.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Old 12-02-2011, 12:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-02-11, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
It's what's for dinner.
Hot dogs with wieners from Ready Meats on the other side of town; baked
beans (or not baked) from Bush's. I have some chunky mango relish
(blech!) from Harry & David that I'll use up either on the dogs or in
the beans.

http://tinyurl.com/4o2zplq

nb
Old 12-02-2011, 12:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 3:37*pm, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:
It's what's for dinner.
Hot dogs with wieners from Ready Meats on the other side of town; baked
beans (or not baked) from Bush's. * I have some chunky mango relish
(blech!) from Harry & David that I'll use up either on the dogs or in
the beans. *
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Hamburgers tonight. On the grill. Maybe tater salad and ships and quac
dip.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2011 5:37 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
It's what's for dinner.
Hot dogs with wieners from Ready Meats on the other side of town; baked
beans (or not baked) from Bush's. I have some chunky mango relish
(blech!) from Harry& David that I'll use up either on the dogs or in
the beans.

Large lima beans cooked with venison/pork sausage, onions, garlic, and a
smidgeon of chipotle powder. Served over fresh Arkansas cornbread, one
of our favorite meals when the weather is cold. I'm fighting another
!@#$% sinus infection so I need the comfort food.

Had Hebrew National hot dogs in whole wheat buns with homemade chili and
homemade pickle relish on top last night. Another comfort food for us
fifties greasers.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 4:23*pm, George Shirley wrote:
On 2/11/2011 5:37 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

It's what's for dinner.
Hot dogs with wieners from Ready Meats on the other side of town; baked
beans (or not baked) from Bush's. * I have some chunky mango relish
(blech!) from Harry& *David that I'll use up either on the dogs or in
the beans.

Large lima beans cooked with venison/pork sausage, onions, garlic, and a
smidgeon of chipotle powder. Served over fresh Arkansas cornbread, one
of our favorite meals when the weather is cold. I'm fighting another
!@#$% sinus infection so I need the comfort food.

Had Hebrew National hot dogs in whole wheat buns with homemade chili and
homemade pickle relish on top last night. Another comfort food for us
fifties greasers.

Hey...that sounds good!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 18:23:48 -0600, George Shirley
wrote:

Served over fresh Arkansas cornbread,

What makes Arkansas cornbread different from the rest?

Old 12-02-2011, 02:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
It's what's for dinner.
Hot dogs with wieners from Ready Meats on the other side of town; baked
beans (or not baked) from Bush's. I have some chunky mango relish
(blech!) from Harry & David that I'll use up either on the dogs or in
the beans.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

YUM!

I have not had that for a long time.

GREAT COMFORT FOOD!

Dimitri

Old 12-02-2011, 03:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,

On 2011-02-11, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
It's what's for dinner.
Hot dogs with wieners from Ready Meats on the other side of town; baked
beans (or not baked) from Bush's. I have some chunky mango relish
(blech!) from Harry & David that I'll use up either on the dogs or in
the beans.

http://tinyurl.com/4o2zplq

nb

:-) The mango glop was pretty good in the beans; it has a kick to it
that was nice with the beans.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Served over fresh Arkansas cornbread,

What makes Arkansas cornbread different from the rest?

It's in-bread. ;-)

Laughing - Good one!

Old 12-02-2011, 06:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 21:02:30 -0600, Omelet

wrote:

Served over fresh Arkansas cornbread,

What makes Arkansas cornbread different from the rest?

I'm betting it's the lack of flour, and sugar. g
I have a couple of recipes on file:

Arkansas Cornbread

2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs well beaten.

Stir the dry ingredients together eliminating any lumps in the soda.
Beat the two eggs well and add the buttermilk and eggs to the dry
ingredients.

Heat the oven to 425F, take a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet add a
tablespoon of oil, put in the oven as it's heating. When oven is ready
pour the cornbread mix into the skillet and then bake for 20 minutes or
until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the pone comes out dry.

Thanks Om, I haven't ever used buttermilk with cornbread - so I'm
saving that recipe. Did you see the lemon pudding cake I posed a
couple of days ago? It uses buttermilk too (although you can find
recipes that don't). I have designs for the rest of the pint, but
maybe I'll reconsider and make cornbread.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

It's what's for dinner.
Hot dogs with wieners

I thinking something but I can't post it.

Other than "Two types of tube steak"?

The prevailing definition of "hot dog" is a frankfurter in a bun. So "hot
dogs with wieners" is the same thing as saying, "hot dogs". It's like
saying, ""rumaki with chicken livers".

Bob

Old 12-02-2011, 12:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Southern style cornbread [was; Hot dogs and baked beans]

Omelet wrote:

wrote:

Served over fresh Arkansas cornbread,

What makes Arkansas cornbread different from the rest?

I'm betting it's the lack of flour, and sugar. g
I have a couple of recipes on file:

Arkansas Cornbread

2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs well beaten.

Stir the dry ingredients together eliminating any lumps in the soda.
Beat the two eggs well and add the buttermilk and eggs to the dry
ingredients.

Heat the oven to 425F, take a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet add a
tablespoon of oil, put in the oven as it's heating. When oven is ready
pour the cornbread mix into the skillet and then bake for 20 minutes or
until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the pone comes out dry.

I did something very similar to this a couple weeks ago. The only
change was it was cooked at 450.

I liked the flavor, and the texture was different, but pretty good out
of the oven. But it didn't 'pop' like I thought it should. It
didn't raise hardly at all.

I used powdered buttermilk & my soda is a 1/2 full box that has worked
in everything else.

By the time it cooled it was too dense to eat. I know I've seen a
bunch of folk talk about crumbling it up in milk-- and I could see it
used for that.

Did it come out right, and I'm just not a southern cornbread guy-- or
should I try again and do something different?

Thanks
Jim
Old 12-02-2011, 01:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim wrote:

[...]

I'm guessing the culprit was the powdered buttermilk. Cultured buttermilk
has a natural acidity which might not be present in the powdered stuff.
You'd need that acidity to get the chemical reaction to make the cornbread
rise. If you just mix the powdered buttermilk with water, does it taste
sour?

A couple of other ways to go astray:

1. You shouldn't mix the batter too well. The more thoroughly you mix, the
less the dough will rise because the bubbles from the leavening reaction are
popped.

2. You'd need to cook the batter as soon as it was mixed, or you'd lose that
leavening action because all the bubbles would rise to the surface of the
batter and escape.

Bob

Old 12-02-2011, 02:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2011 9:02 PM, Omelet wrote:

wrote:

Served over fresh Arkansas cornbread,

What makes Arkansas cornbread different from the rest?

I'm betting it's the lack of flour, and sugar.g
I have a couple of recipes on file:

Arkansas Cornbread

2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs well beaten.

Stir the dry ingredients together eliminating any lumps in the soda.
Beat the two eggs well and add the buttermilk and eggs to the dry
ingredients.

Heat the oven to 425F, take a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet add a
tablespoon of oil, put in the oven as it's heating. When oven is ready
pour the cornbread mix into the skillet and then bake for 20 minutes or
until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the pone comes out dry.

That's the recipe I've been using all my life and the one my Mom and
Grandmom used too. That's real cornbread, that stuff with flour and
sugar is cake in my family. I heat the oven to 450F though, it's ready
in about 20 minutes and is done all the way through and the bottom and
sides are a dark brown crust. I love the stuff with "sweet" milk poured
over it with freshly ground black pepper and some chopped onion. "Sweet"
milk is just milk instead of buttermilk. I could never drink buttermilk
but my Dad loved the stuff.

When I was a kid and Dad went on strike we lived on chicken and
cornbread, we raised our own chickens and, quite often, would have two
or three acres of Trucker's Favorite corn growing. Could eat the corn in
the milk stage as roasting ears and leave a bunch to dry on the stalk
and then shuck it and take the corn off the cob and then grind it in the
old corn grinder. Dad had hooked an old electric motor off a washing
machine to a pulley and belt where the handle on the grinder went so we
could make two passes with corn and turn it into fresh corn meal. Good eats.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-02-12, Randy Johnson wrote:

On 11-Feb-2011, sf wrote:

What makes Arkansas cornbread different from the rest?

It's in-bread. ;-)

DOH! ....lol

nbxcy