FoodBanter.com

-   -   ideal kitchen (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/404469-ideal-kitchen.html)

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 03:28 PM

ideal kitchen

we are at the point in the house design/rebuild that i have to finalize what
we want in the kitchen. I am interested in what you all think, from design,
appliances, placement and details,

Lee

[email protected] 24-01-2011 04:41 PM

ideal kitchen

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:28:19 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>we are at the point in the house design/rebuild that i have to finalize what
>we want in the kitchen. I am interested in what you all think, from design,
>appliances, placement and details,

Try rec.food.equipment.

-- Larry

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 05:30 PM

ideal kitchen

have been there also want opinions of the cooks here as i know many of them
from other groups and respect their opinions, Lee

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 06:19 PM

ideal kitchen

thanks, saved to the house file, Lee

Steve Pope 24-01-2011 06:20 PM

ideal kitchen

Storrmmee > wrote:

>we are at the point in the house design/rebuild that i have to finalize what
>we want in the kitchen. I am interested in what you all think, from design,
>appliances, placement and details,

I'd set a cost target, and also figure out whether you are making
improvements for functional reasons, aesthetic reasons, a hoped-for
improvement of market value of the house, or some combination.

In the functional area, for me the most important thing is having
enough room to move quickly between stove, working surface(s),
refrigerator and sink. For this reason I do not like many designs
that contain islands, perfering a design where everything is
on the perimiter of the room.

Also, lighting is of utmost importance. The equivalent of 500
watts of incandescent lighting (convert that into compact flourescents)
is not excessive for any sizeabl kitchen.

Steve

Nad R 24-01-2011 06:23 PM

ideal kitchen

Andy > wrote:
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> we are at the point in the house design/rebuild that i have to
>> finalize what we want in the kitchen. I am interested in what you all
>> think, from design, appliances, placement and details,
>>
>> Lee

> Lee,
>
> All I would offer is if you're considering a granite countertop surface,
> you should at least know about quartz as a possible option, if you
> didn't already.
>
> See: http://www.cambriausa.com and start at the heading "COLLECTION" and
> work your way across.
>
> Great choices and ideas.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Andy

I hate the microwave over the stove. Put a vent over it instead. Also
without the microwave one can use larger pots and pans. However, if your
here you probably already know this.

Janet 24-01-2011 06:24 PM

ideal kitchen

Storrmmee wrote:
> we are at the point in the house design/rebuild that i have to
> finalize what we want in the kitchen. I am interested in what you
> all think, from design, appliances, placement and details,
>
> Lee

Some random things: double sink with built-in soap dispenser and one big and
one smaller bowl (I have one like this now, Elkay gourmet line stainless);
granite countertops in a honed finish instead of high polish; 48" gas
rangetop with a grill in the middle, or a professional dual-fuel gas stove
with a grill and electric convection oven/broiler; stainless backsplash
behind the cooktop/range and stainless hood with halogen lights and grease
trap above it, paired with a *really* strong exterior-mounted exhaust fan; 2
separate full-size wall ovens, self-cleaning with external vent; lower
cabinets with pull-out drawers or pull-out shelves; cabinet with vertical
dividers near the oven for storing roasting pans and cooling racks, another
elsewhere for storing trays (I have these now, and they are great); a
cabinet with the kind of insert that rises up for the Kitchenaid mixer,
which is too high to fit under cabinets; possibly the same thing for the
Cuisinart; an appliance garage for the smaller stuff; either a french-door
fridge with the freezer on the bottom, or--if space permits-- a full-sized
subzero fridge paired with a completely separate freezer, which can be
counter height; a cooking fireplace.; a tile floor; room for a nice big
hanging pot rack; a walk-in pantry; a broom/mop closet; bookshelves for the
cookbooks; a wallmounted flat screen tv that can be watched while cooking; a
bulter's pantry between kitchen and dining room containing ample shelving
for all of my china and glassware and a second dishwasher and sink, as well
as counter space for setting stuff up and--what the heck--a bar set-up with
an icemaker too.

timbrel 24-01-2011 06:31 PM

ideal kitchen

On Jan 24, 10:28*am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> we are at the point in the house design/rebuild that i have to finalize what
> we want in the kitchen. *I am interested in what you all think, from design,
> appliances, placement and details,
>
> Lee

Another source I suggest is the Home Forums of Gardenweb. Almost too
much discussion and information. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/.
I renovated my kitchen 20 years ago and still adore it.Wouldn't leave
the apartment for the kitchen although the apartment is too big for
us. I thought A LOT about what was important to me and what wasn't so
it works the way I like to. It even accommodates my husband now that
he cooks as well. I love my pull out cutting board that has a hole in
the middle to scrape scraps into the trash can below. I love my
Thermador combination ovens where the top oven is a microwave-
convection-radiant. This dual oven, electric, is no longer made and we
are going to have to find something to replace it :-( Even 20 years
ago I knew I wanted only drawers where ever that was possible, not
cabinets with pull-out shelves. That's what I have and it still is
great. If I had the money, and the space, I'd build more cabinet
space, but that's a want, not a need.

Bliss

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 06:38 PM

ideal kitchen

thanks, its functional, we currently do not have a kitchen, it having burnt
with the rest of the house, Lee

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 06:40 PM

ideal kitchen

thanks haven't read here that much, mostly lurked on and off... there is a
nuker in the hotel we are in above the cooktop... as bad as no way to use a
larger pot... it gets just plain nasty from using the stove, Lee

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 06:42 PM

ideal kitchen

thanks, lee

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 06:44 PM

ideal kitchen

thanks, am really leaning to the drawsers, Lee

Pete C. 24-01-2011 07:06 PM

ideal kitchen

Storrmmee wrote:

> we are at the point in the house design/rebuild that i have to finalize what
> we want in the kitchen. I am interested in what you all think, from design,
> appliances, placement and details,
>
> Lee

- Full classic walk-in pantry with plenty of shelving

- Wall mount double oven or oven / microwave combo *in addition* to the
normal range oven. If using a cooktop only, double wall oven and
separate microwave.

- Give a lot of thought to spice storage, either in shallow drawers with
tilt racks, or cabinets with swing or pull out racks.

- Some folks like the trendy pot filler faucets by the range / cooktop,
but consider a full small bar / prep sized sink next to the range /
cooktop instead. This will allow you to both fill and *empty* pots
without carrying them a long distance to the main sink, and given the
overpriced nature of the pot filler faucets, will be a similar cost.

- Ensure your lighting plan provides even light coverage without shadows
in the work area. Also ensure that all light sources are the same color
temperature i.e. don't mix fluorescent and halogen, etc.

- If you are using gas appliances, ensure you have a combo gas and CO
detector in the room, though not too close to the appliances to avoid
false alarms. If nat gas, the detector mounts high, if LP gas it mounts
low due to the different densities of the gasses. Smoke detectors are of
course a must regardless of the heat source.

- Be sure to provide a suitable place for a kitchen fire extinguisher.
Having one readily available can make the difference between a minor
cleanup and significant damage.

- Consider mounting a tablet PC recessed into a cabinet door or
otherwise conveniently located in the primary prep area so you can get
with the times and refer to your electronic recipe database vs. fighting
a self closing cookbook and getting it dirty in the process. The touch
screens on the tablet PCs clean pretty easily.

- If you have city water, or mediocre well water, install a reverse
osmosis system and filtered water tap at the sink as well as connecting
it to your ice maker. They aren't expensive these days and they make a
*big* difference in water quality.

- If you're looking at doing a work island and are not planning to have
appliances or sinks in it, consider making it movable. There are dual
swivel locking casters available that are easy to lock and unlock, yet
do not wiggle around when locked. I helped some friends build such an
island for their kitchen, based on an antique commercial work table we
saw and they love the enhanced version we built for less than 1/3 the
asking price of the antique.

Antique: http://wpnet.us/island_table/1.jpg
CAD model: http://wpnet.us/island_table/2.jpg
Completed: http://wpnet.us/island_table/finished.jpg

- Consider not falling into the fad of granite or similar counters. They
are indeed durable, however that are also hard (stuff brakes easier on
them), loud, and expensive. Consider doing one section of counter ~2'-3'
wide in such a material, and using a "softer" material on the rest. I
have a section of marble as my dough / pastry work surface, and laminate
on the rest.

- Some folks like having dual dishwashers so they can flip-flop between
them and not have to unload the dishwasher and put stuff away after
every load. Dishwashers are pretty inexpensive these days, so if you
have sufficient space for two side by side, it's not a crazy idea.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 24-01-2011 07:11 PM

ideal kitchen

On Jan 24, 10:28*am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> we are at the point in the house design/rebuild that i have to finalize what
> we want in the kitchen. *I am interested in what you all think, from design,
> appliances, placement and details,
>
> Lee

There's no such thing as ideal. That said, some of what I consider
ideal directly contradicts others' opinions.

Most of what I wash by hand is too big to to into the dishwasher.
That makes it also too big to go into the bowl of a double sink.
Give me a sink big enough to fit a half sheet pan (11x17") flat.
Not too deep, either, I don't want to have to bend double to
reach the bottom.

My stand mixer is on the countertop. We made a custom cabinet
to fit the microwave, resulting in more clearance for the stand
mixer. No lifting, no sweat.

I don't like an enclosed trash container. All of my dream kitchen
plans have a couple of square feet near the back door for the
trash can. I get a major squick factor thinking about garbage
inside a cabinet. I want it out where I can monitor its status.

My husband is short, so if I had the space, I'd minimize the
wall cabinets, and have windows looking out on my backyard
instead.

Stove on an outside wall so I can vent directly through the wall.

Anyplace that has a drain will need a vent stack. A sink or
dishwasher in an island is a non-starter for me.

No appliance garage for me. They're just a waste of
counter space. Seldom-used small appliances
go on a pull-out shelf in a lower cabinet.

Sheet vinyl flooring. No, it's not fashionable. But it's
seamless, easy-care, not cold in the winter, and
easy on the feet.

Cindy Hamilton

Melba's Jammin' 24-01-2011 07:16 PM

ideal kitchen

In article >,
"Storrmmee" > wrote:

> we are at the point in the house design/rebuild that i have to finalize what
> we want in the kitchen. I am interested in what you all think, from design,
> appliances, placement and details,
>
> Lee

What have got? Presumably you've worked with a designer who asked
questions about how you cook, how often, what type, etc. There are lots
of articles online about what are good ideas and some not so good ideas.
Store stuff close to where it will be used or handled.
Keep your spices away from heat and light.
Have plenty of light.
If you have an island or a peninsula, make sure it has at least one set
of electrical outlets on it.
Roll out shelves are a must.
I would not have a fridge without a bottom, roll-out freezer compartment.
I wouldn't be caught dead (unless someone stuffed me in it upright) with
a side-by-side freezer/chiller unit.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

Melba's Jammin' 24-01-2011 07:18 PM

ideal kitchen

In article >,
"Storrmmee" > wrote:

> are going to have to find something to replace it :-( Even 20 years
> ago I knew I wanted only drawers where ever that was possible, not
> cabinets with pull-out shelves. That's what I have and it still is

My niece has only drawers in her (amply-sized) kitchen ‹ only one
hanging cabinet for glassware. It's awesome.

Pete C. 24-01-2011 07:33 PM

ideal kitchen

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
> > we are at the point in the house design/rebuild that i have to finalize what
> > we want in the kitchen. I am interested in what you all think, from design,
> > appliances, placement and details,
> >
> > Lee

> What have got? Presumably you've worked with a designer who asked
> questions about how you cook, how often, what type, etc. There are lots
> of articles online about what are good ideas and some not so good ideas.
> Store stuff close to where it will be used or handled.
> Keep your spices away from heat and light.
> Have plenty of light.
> If you have an island or a peninsula, make sure it has at least one set
> of electrical outlets on it.
> Roll out shelves are a must.
> I would not have a fridge without a bottom, roll-out freezer compartment.
> I wouldn't be caught dead (unless someone stuffed me in it upright) with
> a side-by-side freezer/chiller unit.

What don't you like about a properly sized side-by-side? I prefer them,
though I can tolerate a bottom freezer. The top freezer models on the
other hand are the absolute worst and even if you stuffed my bloated
corpse in one, I'd find a way to change it.

Jean B.[_1_] 24-01-2011 07:33 PM

ideal kitchen

Steve Pope wrote:
> Storrmmee > wrote:
>
>> we are at the point in the house design/rebuild that i have to finalize what
>> we want in the kitchen. I am interested in what you all think, from design,
>> appliances, placement and details,

> I'd set a cost target, and also figure out whether you are making
> improvements for functional reasons, aesthetic reasons, a hoped-for
> improvement of market value of the house, or some combination.
>
> In the functional area, for me the most important thing is having
> enough room to move quickly between stove, working surface(s),
> refrigerator and sink. For this reason I do not like many designs
> that contain islands, perfering a design where everything is
> on the perimiter of the room.
>
> Also, lighting is of utmost importance. The equivalent of 500
> watts of incandescent lighting (convert that into compact flourescents)
> is not excessive for any sizeabl kitchen.
>
> Steve

Ah. I, too, do not like the idea of an island. Random thoughts...

My favorite things in the new kitchen are the granite counter tops
and the cork flooring.

Can lights, imo, are hideous. Be sure to get some under-counter
lighting.

Consider special ordering extra shelves and pull-outs for your
cabinets after thinking about where (and if) such would make sense.

Do put ovens at a logical height. I thought I was doing something
really clever having seen it in a display kitchen, and it resulted
in the oven being lower than I wanted it to be.

I would not put a combo microwave and fan above the cooktop. In
the old house, this resulted in condensation dripping down from
the too-low unit. I had that redone.

I hate stoves/ovens next to the refrigerator.

If you are short, TRY not to get the French door refrigerators
that seem to be the majority of those on display now. I finally
got beaten into getting this and have now realize I need to be on
a ladder to get to most of the upper shelves of the fridge. I
don't find getting things out of the freezer drawer any more
pleasant than I thought it would be.

Note... My top of the line GE dishwasher has the tiniest scratch
that is already a tiny bit rusty! I also hate the racks--esp. the
hideous silver rack. My old Bosch still looks brand new and was a
pleasure to stack. (I did not get another one, remembering
service issues. [Check into the authorized service situation
before you get any appliance! As about this on a local email
list, if there is any such thing.]) I am now considering ripping
the old Bosch out of the old house and putting it in the new house!

--
Jean B.

sf[_9_] 24-01-2011 07:34 PM

ideal kitchen

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:11:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> Stove on an outside wall so I can vent directly through the wall.

Mine is on an interior wall and the vent goes straight up.

Janet 24-01-2011 07:36 PM

ideal kitchen

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> Most of what I wash by hand is too big to to into the dishwasher.
> That makes it also too big to go into the bowl of a double sink.
> Give me a sink big enough to fit a half sheet pan (11x17") flat.
> Not too deep, either, I don't want to have to bend double to
> reach the bottom.

Not all double sinks are created equal. The Elkay double sink I have is
precisely what you want. I have a certified kitchen, and it was necessary to
get a double sink with one bowl that was big emough to submerge a half sheet
pan.

> My stand mixer is on the countertop. We made a custom cabinet
> to fit the microwave, resulting in more clearance for the stand
> mixer. No lifting, no sweat.

The cabinet insert I describe lifts up and locks in place--you don't have to
heave the beast onto the countertop. I hear you, but all things being equal
I'd rather it have in one of the special cabinets than sitting out, even
with a good arrangement like yours. I'm getting sick of stuff sitting out on
the countertop, even things like big gallon containers of flour and sugar
and the kitchenaid. <G>

> No appliance garage for me. They're just a waste of
> counter space. Seldom-used small appliances
> go on a pull-out shelf in a lower cabinet.

Sounds like a good alternative. The appliances in my garage are frequently
used, though, some more than once per day. The people who designed the
kitchen also put an outlet strip along the wall next to it. Very handy.

> Sheet vinyl flooring. No, it's not fashionable. But it's
> seamless, easy-care, not cold in the winter, and
> easy on the feet.

Sheet vinyl wears out too quickly for me. I also don't like the way it
looks. I currently have a sheet vinyl floor that looks like crap all the
time, even when freshly cleaned. It has been that way ever since we moved
into the house. Unless you want to replace the flooring every 10 years or
so...pick something else.

Steve Pope 24-01-2011 07:40 PM

ideal kitchen

Janet > wrote:

>Sheet vinyl wears out too quickly for me. I also don't like the way it
>looks. I currently have a sheet vinyl floor that looks like crap all the
>time, even when freshly cleaned. It has been that way ever since we moved
>into the house. Unless you want to replace the flooring every 10 years or
>so...pick something else.

It depends on the quality of the sheet vinyl. We replaced ours 15
years ago and it does not look notably worn, and predict another
10 years of use before it looks trashy. But the cheapest sheet vinyl has
what amounts to a paper layer containins the decorative pattern,
and wears out in a few years -- make sure you avoid that.

If you're worried about lifetime, by all means go for linoleum.
It requires more upkeep, but should last easily 100 years.

Steve

Janet 24-01-2011 07:41 PM

ideal kitchen

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I wouldn't be caught dead (unless someone stuffed me in
> it upright) with a side-by-side freezer/chiller unit.

LOL! Me too. I do have a bottom freezer fridge, but unfortunately not one
where you pull the whole thing out like a drawer. Those are indeed superior.
We were heavily constrained in anything we did in terms of replacing
appliances by the fact that the entire kitchen was "built in" and has a
rather complex, tightly-designed floor plan. So an additional piece of
advice I would give is to try to design it so that you can replace the
fridge without having to dismantle the cabinetry, and so forth.

projectile vomit chick[_3_] 24-01-2011 07:53 PM

ideal kitchen

On Jan 24, 12:24*pm, "Janet" > wrote:
> Storrmmee wrote:
> > we are at the point in the house design/rebuild that i have to
> > finalize what we want in the kitchen. *I am interested in what you
> > all think, from design, appliances, placement and details,

> > Lee

> Some random things: double sink with built-in soap dispenser and one big and
> one smaller bowl (I have one like this now, Elkay gourmet line stainless);
> granite countertops in a honed finish instead of high polish; 48" gas
> rangetop with a grill in the middle, or a professional dual-fuel gas stove
> with a grill and electric convection oven/broiler; stainless backsplash
> behind the cooktop/range and stainless hood with halogen lights and grease
> trap above it, paired with a *really* strong exterior-mounted exhaust fan; 2
> separate full-size wall ovens, self-cleaning with external vent; lower
> cabinets with pull-out drawers or pull-out shelves; cabinet with vertical
> dividers near the oven for storing roasting pans and cooling racks, another
> elsewhere for storing trays (I have these now, and they are great); a
> cabinet with the kind of insert that rises up for the Kitchenaid mixer,
> which is too high to fit under cabinets; possibly the same thing for the
> Cuisinart; an appliance garage for the smaller stuff; either a french-door
> fridge with the freezer on the bottom, or--if space permits-- a full-sized
> subzero fridge paired with a completely separate freezer, which can be
> counter height; a cooking fireplace.; a tile floor; room for a nice big
> hanging pot rack; a walk-in pantry; a broom/mop closet; bookshelves for the
> cookbooks; a wallmounted flat screen tv that can be watched while cooking; a
> bulter's pantry between kitchen and dining room containing ample shelving
> for all of my china and glassware and a second dishwasher and sink, as well
> as counter space for setting stuff up and--what the heck--a bar set-up with
> an icemaker too.

Where's the robot and Spacely Sprockets?

Mr. Bill[_2_] 24-01-2011 07:54 PM

ideal kitchen

On Jan 24, 2:17*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:28:19 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> Tighten up your work area because my work triangle is just a little
> too big and it's a royal PITA, not to mention that drip line from the
> sink to the stove. *Here is a list of things that I have or I wish I
> had in no particular order. *

Excellent thoughts...you have done your homework!!

Jean B.[_1_] 24-01-2011 07:57 PM

ideal kitchen

Storrmmee wrote:
> thanks, am really leaning to the drawsers, Lee

I would not want drawers everywhere. I think there is more leeway
with pull-out shelves, which you can configure and order more of
as the need becomes apparent. If you get drawers, you are stuck
with the depths you start out with.
--
Jean B.

Jean B.[_1_] 24-01-2011 08:07 PM

ideal kitchen

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:11:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> Stove on an outside wall so I can vent directly through the wall.

> Mine is on an interior wall and the vent goes straight up.

Mine is on an interior wall but vents outside. BTW, the strongest
exhaust fans I saw were the relatives of my old one, made by
Zephyr. The big-name/prestigious brand ones did not begin to
compare as far as cfm go.

--
Jean B.

Steve Pope 24-01-2011 08:11 PM

ideal kitchen

Jean B. > wrote:

>sf wrote:

>> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:11:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> Stove on an outside wall so I can vent directly through the wall.

>> Mine is on an interior wall and the vent goes straight up.

>Mine is on an interior wall but vents outside. BTW, the strongest
>exhaust fans I saw were the relatives of my old one, made by
>Zephyr. The big-name/prestigious brand ones did not begin to
>compare as far as cfm go.

Tangentially, is there any such thing as a really quiet kitchen
exhaust fan that nonetheless is effective?

I have two problems with fan noise. It interferes with listening
to music. And it interferes with listening to what I'm cooking
(i.e. I prefer to know how much something is sizzling from the
sound it makes).

Steve

Kalmia 24-01-2011 08:18 PM

ideal kitchen

You want lots of cabinets with pullout shelving. Forget about having
wasted space above the cabinets - nice for plants and knickknacks, but
then that's one more thing to dust and clean.

You want some kind of counter near the fridge so it's easy to put a
lot of stuff back in. A true Holy Grail would be a foot pedal to open
the fridge door when your hands are full. Any manufacturers
listening?

You want no big dance floor going to waste. That's why I miss my old
galley style kitchen. I think someone else hear said this about his
or her triangle and having too much walking space.

Magnetic drawers are nice - they almost close themselves.

I especially like one of those wall magnet strips for knives. Keeps
them at hand but off the counter.

I'm all in favor of a freezer on the bottom type of fridge.

Think about where your pots and pans will be - try to avoid too much
stooping, unless you have great knees.

If possible, some kind of foot pump for the faucet so you can have the
option of pumping only what you need, if water rates are high in your
town.

Axiom: There is no such thing as too much counter space.

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 08:19 PM

ideal kitchen

this is what the dh is wanting, Lee

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 08:20 PM

ideal kitchen

definitely something to consider, Lee

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 08:25 PM

ideal kitchen

thanks, very interesting. pantry is five foot by ten foot, stainless on
either side of stove, have an island in center of kitchen but hadn't
determined movable or stationary , won't have sink but maybe outlets, Lee
ster.com...

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 08:29 PM

ideal kitchen

thnks, i am shorter so have been thinking about just open shelves for the
above cab storage.

I do want vynl because we have cats and i am very clumsy, Lee

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 08:30 PM

ideal kitchen

the basic plans we have will be straigh up as the kitchen is in the center
of the house, Lee

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 08:31 PM

ideal kitchen

good to know, Lee

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 24-01-2011 08:32 PM

ideal kitchen

On Jan 24, 2:36*pm, "Janet" > wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > Most of what I wash by hand is too big to to into the dishwasher.
> > That makes it also too big to go into the bowl of a double sink.
> > Give me a sink big enough to fit a half sheet pan (11x17") flat.
> > Not too deep, either, I don't want to have to bend double to
> > reach the bottom.

> Not all double sinks are created equal. The Elkay double sink I have is
> precisely what you want. I have a certified kitchen, and it was necessary to
> get a double sink with one bowl that was big emough to submerge a half sheet
> pan.

Sounds nice. <envy>

> > My stand mixer is on the countertop. *We made a custom cabinet
> > to fit the microwave, resulting in more clearance for the stand
> > mixer. *No lifting, no sweat.

> The cabinet insert I describe lifts up and locks in place--you don't have to
> heave the beast onto the countertop. I hear you, but all things being equal
> I'd rather it have in one of the special cabinets than sitting out, even
> with a good arrangement like yours. I'm getting sick of stuff sitting out on
> the countertop, even things like big gallon containers of flour and sugar
> and the kitchenaid. <G>

Well, everybody's different. I keep my flour and sugar in the pantry;
they probably come out less than once a month.

> > No appliance garage for me. *They're just a waste of
> > counter space. Seldom-used small appliances
> > go on a pull-out shelf in a lower cabinet.

> Sounds like a good alternative. The appliances in my garage are frequently
> used, though, some more than once per day. The people who designed the
> kitchen also put an outlet strip along the wall next to it. Very handy.

Fair enough. I don't use my small appliances very often. Probably
the mini-food processor is the most frequent, and that less than
once a week.

Cooking, unplugged. (mimes air chopping)

> > Sheet vinyl flooring. *No, it's not fashionable. *But it's
> > seamless, easy-care, not cold in the winter, and
> > easy on the feet.

> Sheet vinyl wears out too quickly for me. I also don't like the way it
> looks. I currently have a sheet vinyl floor that looks like crap all the
> time, even when freshly cleaned. It has been that way ever since we moved
> into the house. Unless you want to replace the flooring every 10 years or
> so...pick something else.

I've got crappy vinyl tile now. Even the cheapest sheet vinyl would
be
an improvement.

Someday...

Cindy Hamilton

sf[_9_] 24-01-2011 08:36 PM

ideal kitchen

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:11:15 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

> Jean B. > wrote:
>
> >sf wrote:

> >> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:11:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

> >> Mine is on an interior wall and the vent goes straight up.

> >Mine is on an interior wall but vents outside. BTW, the strongest
> >exhaust fans I saw were the relatives of my old one, made by
> >Zephyr. The big-name/prestigious brand ones did not begin to
> >compare as far as cfm go.

> Tangentially, is there any such thing as a really quiet kitchen
> exhaust fan that nonetheless is effective?
>
> I have two problems with fan noise. It interferes with listening
> to music. And it interferes with listening to what I'm cooking
> (i.e. I prefer to know how much something is sizzling from the
> sound it makes).

Have you seen this?
http://aaa-applianceparts.com/range-hood.htm

They get noisier as they get stronger (move more cfm). You might find
one fan is quieter than another, but you'll never find one that's
strong and silent too because at the very least, air makes sound when
it moves. I wish there were working displays so we can turn them on
and listen, but I haven't found any place that actually backs their
claims that way. In my particular case, there was only one hood that
fit what we needed, so we went with that. Sound didn't matter, size
did.

Maybe you can tell me why my kitchen TV sounds louder a room away than
it does in the kitchen. That always baffles me.

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 08:37 PM

ideal kitchen

we haven't been to the designer yet, did lots of research on line. bottom
freezer is out, i would end up freezing a cat... no side by side frig
either, am leaning towards the seperate frig/freezer units. Lee

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 08:39 PM

ideal kitchen

thanks, Lee

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 08:47 PM

ideal kitchen

thanks, can you tell me about cork floors? i have never seen one, what is
the surface like? stains? drips? cats? Lee

Storrmmee 24-01-2011 08:51 PM

ideal kitchen

thanks, Lee