Green foam on irish steel cut oats

Old 12-01-2011, 02:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Green foam on irish steel cut oats

Here's a new one for me.

I picked up a bag of organic oats from the bulk bin in a health food
store yesterday.

I used to use McCanns- I've been using Country Choice for months. I
used the same pot & process this morning- but the new oats.

I boil 4 cups water- add oats- stir until the foam goes away- cover
over a double boiler- and go about my business for 1/2 hour.

Everything looked fine when I covered it. 45minutes later I came
in from moving some snow around and my wife asked me what the green
stuff was on this morning's oatmeal.

She had scooped some off for me before she stirred the pot and got her
bowl. It is apparently not a quick acting poison, as she is
still alive and has had no ill effects.

She just figured it was some new type of oatmeal I was trying. [which
it was-- but I didn't expect the green-ness] It tastes fine, and
smells like good oatmeal.

I'm going to call the store when they open-- but in the meantime, has
anyone else had post boil green foam form on their oatmeal?

Jim
Old 12-01-2011, 03:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/01/2011 8:24 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

The green foam is nothing to worry about. It is the result of enzymes
reacting with hard water. It has no taste and no ill effects.
I usually get it with my steel cut oats because I have very hard water.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

On 12/01/2011 8:24 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Here's a new one for me.

I picked up a bag of organic oats from the bulk bin in a health food
store yesterday.

I used to use McCanns- I've been using Country Choice for months. I
used the same pot& process this morning- but the new oats.

-snip-

The green foam is nothing to worry about. It is the result of enzymes
reacting with hard water. It has no taste and no ill effects.
I usually get it with my steel cut oats because I have very hard water.

thanks- I wonder what McCann and Country Choice do to avoid that. We
do have hard water-- but we've been eating steel cut oats 3 days a
week for a year or two-- and 'often' before that. Never got the foam
before.

Jim
Old 12-01-2011, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/01/2011 11:20 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

thanks- I wonder what McCann and Country Choice do to avoid that. We
do have hard water-- but we've been eating steel cut oats 3 days a
week for a year or two-- and 'often' before that. Never got the foam
before.

FWIW... I noticed it when McCanns was the only steel cut oats I could
find. I have been buying it at the Bulk barn for a fraction of the
price of McCanns and I don't get the green foam.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:20:17 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:

On 12/01/2011 8:24 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Here's a new one for me.

I picked up a bag of organic oats from the bulk bin in a health food
store yesterday.

I used to use McCanns- I've been using Country Choice for months. I
used the same pot& process this morning- but the new oats.

-snip-

The green foam is nothing to worry about. It is the result of enzymes
reacting with hard water. It has no taste and no ill effects.
I usually get it with my steel cut oats because I have very hard water.

thanks- I wonder what McCann and Country Choice do to avoid that. We
do have hard water-- but we've been eating steel cut oats 3 days a
week for a year or two-- and 'often' before that. Never got the foam
before.

Jim

The green foam is minute bits of plant matter containing chlorophyll.
McCann's oats are toasted and polished so the plant matter containing
chlorophyll is removed/negated. But most if not all the no name bulk
oats are actually barely out of the field and processed very
minimally. Chlorophyll does not dissolve well in water, hardly at all
in hard water so the green is more pronounced, the solvent for
chlorophyll is isopropyl alchohol.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2011 3:24 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

Leprechaun shaving cream. Magic stuff. You'll lose one day of aging
everytime you shave with it and chicks dig it's manly scent. :-)