Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Bacon and Habanero Infused Vodka

I was looking around foodgawker.com <just had two more photos
accepted, yippiee skippie> and saw the Bacon and Habanero infused
Vodka photo.
If you start the recipe now, the vodka will be ready for the holidays.
This blog has beautiful photos of the process.

Bacon and Habanero Infused Vodka
Adapted from Croce's Restaurant & Jazz Bar.

6 strips of bacon
3 habanero chili peppers
2 serano chile peppers
1 liter good quality vodka (this is not exact)

Add strips of bacon to a dry, cold, large skillet. Warm the skillet
over low heat. Cook bacon until crispy, flipping the bacon several
times throughout the process. Transfer cooked bacon to a paper towel
lined plate and set aside to cool.

Remove the stems from each chili pepper and slice in half lengthwise.
Add peppers (with seeds) to a large, airtight jar. Once cooled, add
bacon to the same jar. Fill the jar with vodka to cover the bacon and
peppers. Seal the jar and let steep for 7 days in the refrigerator.*

After 7 days, strain the vodka through a cheese cloth lined fine mesh
basket strainer into a clean jar or bottle. If you see any major
particles floating in the vodka, strain a second time. Discard the
bacon and peppers. Store in the refrigerator.

Makes 1 liter.

http://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/201...infused-vodka/
or
http://tinyurl.com/2ca8grg

koko
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 08:04:09 -0800, wrote:

> I was looking around foodgawker.com <just had two more photos
> accepted, yippiee skippie> and saw the Bacon and Habanero infused
> Vodka photo.
> If you start the recipe now, the vodka will be ready for the holidays.
> This blog has beautiful photos of the process.
>
> Bacon and Habanero Infused Vodka
> Adapted from Croce's Restaurant & Jazz Bar.
>
> 6 strips of bacon
> 3 habanero chili peppers
> 2 serano chile peppers
> 1 liter good quality vodka (this is not exact)
>
> Add strips of bacon to a dry, cold, large skillet. Warm the skillet
> over low heat. Cook bacon until crispy, flipping the bacon several
> times throughout the process. Transfer cooked bacon to a paper towel
> lined plate and set aside to cool.
>
> Remove the stems from each chili pepper and slice in half lengthwise.
> Add peppers (with seeds) to a large, airtight jar. Once cooled, add
> bacon to the same jar. Fill the jar with vodka to cover the bacon and
> peppers. Seal the jar and let steep for 7 days in the refrigerator.*
>
> After 7 days, strain the vodka through a cheese cloth lined fine mesh
> basket strainer into a clean jar or bottle. If you see any major
> particles floating in the vodka, strain a second time. Discard the
> bacon and peppers. Store in the refrigerator.
>
> Makes 1 liter.

http://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/201...infused-vodka/
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/2ca8grg
>
> koko

after all that, he didn't even take a *bite* of the bacon?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 8:04*am, wrote:
> I was looking around foodgawker.com <just had two more photos
> accepted, yippiee skippie> and saw the Bacon and Habanero infused
> Vodka photo.
> If you start the recipe now, the vodka will be ready for the holidays.
> This blog has beautiful photos of the process.
>
> Bacon and Habanero Infused Vodka
> Adapted from Croce's Restaurant & Jazz Bar.
>
> 6 strips of bacon
> 3 habanero chili peppers
> 2 serano chile peppers
> 1 liter good quality vodka (this is not exact)
>
> Add strips of bacon to a dry, cold, large skillet. *Warm the skillet
> over low heat. *Cook bacon until crispy, flipping the bacon several
> times throughout the process. *Transfer cooked bacon to a paper towel
> lined plate and set aside to cool.
>
> Remove the stems from each chili pepper and slice in half lengthwise.
> Add peppers (with seeds) to a large, airtight jar. *Once cooled, add
> bacon to the same jar. *Fill the jar with vodka to cover the bacon and
> peppers. *Seal the jar and let steep for 7 days in the refrigerator.*
>
> After 7 days, strain the vodka through a cheese cloth lined fine mesh
> basket strainer into a clean jar or bottle. *If you see any major
> particles floating in the vodka, strain a second time. *Discard the
> bacon and peppers. *Store in the refrigerator.
>
> Makes 1 liter.
>
> http://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/201...nero-infused-v...
> orhttp://tinyurl.com/2ca8grg
>
> koko

Would you drink this straight, or mix it?? It kinda sounds good-
definitely different!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 08:04:09 -0800, wrote:
>
> > I was looking around foodgawker.com <just had two more photos
> > accepted, yippiee skippie> and saw the Bacon and Habanero infused
> > Vodka photo.
> > If you start the recipe now, the vodka will be ready for the holidays.

> > Discard the
> > bacon and peppers. Store in the refrigerator.

http://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/201...infused-vodka/
> > or
> > http://tinyurl.com/2ca8grg
> >
> > koko

> after all that, he didn't even take a *bite* of the bacon?

You must be a newby around this group. All the regulars know that
"discard" is our secret code word for "cook gets to eat this all alone
in the kitchen".

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 11:04*am, wrote:
> I was looking around foodgawker.com <just had two more photos
> accepted, yippiee skippie> and saw the Bacon and Habanero infused
> Vodka photo.
> If you start the recipe now, the vodka will be ready for the holidays.
> This blog has beautiful photos of the process.
>
> Bacon and Habanero Infused Vodka
> Adapted from Croce's Restaurant & Jazz Bar.
>
> 6 strips of bacon
> 3 habanero chili peppers
> 2 serano chile peppers
> 1 liter good quality vodka (this is not exact)
>
> Add strips of bacon to a dry, cold, large skillet. *Warm the skillet
> over low heat. *Cook bacon until crispy, flipping the bacon several
> times throughout the process. *Transfer cooked bacon to a paper towel
> lined plate and set aside to cool.
>
> Remove the stems from each chili pepper and slice in half lengthwise.
> Add peppers (with seeds) to a large, airtight jar. *Once cooled, add
> bacon to the same jar. *Fill the jar with vodka to cover the bacon and
> peppers. *Seal the jar and let steep for 7 days in the refrigerator.*
>
> After 7 days, strain the vodka through a cheese cloth lined fine mesh
> basket strainer into a clean jar or bottle. *If you see any major
> particles floating in the vodka, strain a second time. *Discard the
> bacon and peppers. *Store in the refrigerator.
>
> Makes 1 liter.
>
> http://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/201...nero-infused-v...
> orhttp://tinyurl.com/2ca8grg

The first and last time I had hot pepper infused vodka was in
Karlsruhe, Germany. The person we were staying with drank that stuff
like it was water. One after the other. I took a sip, and that was
enough for me. No thanks. They called it 'Ratzenputz'; which in
English means rat poison.

> koko

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2010 6:11 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> The first and last time I had hot pepper infused vodka was in
> Karlsruhe, Germany. The person we were staying with drank that stuff
> like it was water. One after the other. I took a sip, and that was
> enough for me. No thanks. They called it 'Ratzenputz'; which in
> English means rat poison.
>
>> koko

LOL! I was thinking it might be good in a bloody mary...

--
Currently reading: Finals over! Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
Human Anatomy and Physiology. Now what to read?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:30:01 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

>On Dec 15, 8:04*am, wrote:
>> I was looking around foodgawker.com <just had two more photos
>> accepted, yippiee skippie> and saw the Bacon and Habanero infused
>> Vodka photo.

snippage

>> koko

>Would you drink this straight, or mix it?? It kinda sounds good-
>definitely different!

According to the article, that's the vodka that's used to make bloody
mary's at Croce's restarurant and jazz bar.

koko
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:34:16 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 08:04:09 -0800, wrote:
>>
>>> I was looking around foodgawker.com <just had two more photos
>>> accepted, yippiee skippie> and saw the Bacon and Habanero infused
>>> Vodka photo.
>>> If you start the recipe now, the vodka will be ready for the holidays.

>>> Discard the
>>> bacon and peppers. Store in the refrigerator.

http://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/201...infused-vodka/
>>> or
>>> http://tinyurl.com/2ca8grg
>>>
>>> koko

>> after all that, he didn't even take a *bite* of the bacon?

> You must be a newby around this group. All the regulars know that
> "discard" is our secret code word for "cook gets to eat this all alone
> in the kitchen".
>
> :-)

<snort>

your pal,
blake

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

Hi Koko, thank you so much for sharing my Bacon and Habanero Infused Vodka. I appreciate all of the kind words.

I recently posted the recipe for the bloody mary that uses this infused vodka. You can find it he

The Bacon Bloody

Thanks again and have a great weekend!
Brandon
@brandiego
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love > wrote:

> The first and last time I had hot pepper infused vodka was in
> Karlsruhe, Germany. The person we were staying with drank that stuff
> like it was water. One after the other. I took a sip, and that was
> enough for me. No thanks. They called it 'Ratzenputz'; which in
> English means rat poison.

It is "Ratzeputz" and I do not think it means "rat poison". It is also
not vodka, as it is not even clear if it is grain alcohol. Furthermore,
it is made with ginger, not with any kind of pepper. On the other hand,
it is indeed hardly drinkable.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor wrote on Thu, 16 Dec 2010 23:55:56 +0100:

>> The first and last time I had hot pepper infused vodka was in
>> Karlsruhe, Germany. The person we were staying with drank
>> that stuff like it was water. One after the other. I took a
>> sip, and that was enough for me. No thanks. They called it
>> 'Ratzenputz'; which in English means rat poison.

> It is "Ratzeputz" and I do not think it means "rat poison".
> It is also not vodka, as it is not even clear if it is grain
> alcohol. Furthermore, it is made with ginger, not with any
> kind of pepper. On the other hand, it is indeed hardly
> drinkable.

Pepper (hot) infused vodka is rather good even if it is best drunk in
one gulp from a small glass poured from a bottle kept in the freezer.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 8:04*am, wrote:
> I was looking around foodgawker.com <just had two more photos
> accepted, yippiee skippie> and saw the Bacon and Habanero infused
> Vodka photo.
> If you start the recipe now, the vodka will be ready for the holidays.
> This blog has beautiful photos of the process.
>
> Bacon and Habanero Infused Vodka
> Adapted from Croce's Restaurant & Jazz Bar.
>
> 6 strips of bacon
> 3 habanero chili peppers
> 2 serano chile peppers
> 1 liter good quality vodka (this is not exact)
>
> Add strips of bacon to a dry, cold, large skillet. *Warm the skillet
> over low heat. *Cook bacon until crispy, flipping the bacon several
> times throughout the process. *Transfer cooked bacon to a paper towel
> lined plate and set aside to cool.
>
> Remove the stems from each chili pepper and slice in half lengthwise.
> Add peppers (with seeds) to a large, airtight jar. *Once cooled, add
> bacon to the same jar. *Fill the jar with vodka to cover the bacon and
> peppers. *Seal the jar and let steep for 7 days in the refrigerator.*
>
> After 7 days, strain the vodka through a cheese cloth lined fine mesh
> basket strainer into a clean jar or bottle. *If you see any major
> particles floating in the vodka, strain a second time. *Discard the
> bacon and peppers. *Store in the refrigerator.
>
> Makes 1 liter.
>
> http://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/201...nero-infused-v...
> orhttp://tinyurl.com/2ca8grg
>
> koko

Ok, I made this over the holidays, and only let it infuse for 5 days.
WOW!!! I must have got some really hot peppers because it will
definitely need to be cut a bit. Also, the bacon flavor is quite mild,
but it's hard to tell with the heat of the peppers. But it makes a
damn good Bloody Mary!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:28:18 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

> Ok, I made this over the holidays, and only let it infuse for 5 days.
> WOW!!! I must have got some really hot peppers because it will
> definitely need to be cut a bit. Also, the bacon flavor is quite mild,
> but it's hard to tell with the heat of the peppers. But it makes a
> damn good Bloody Mary!

I've found in the past that just letting vodka and pepper (one split)
sit for a day in the freezer infuses the vodka with more than enough
heat for me. I'm still not sold on the bacon idea.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2010 2:28 PM, merryb wrote:
> On Dec 15, 8:04 am, wrote:
>> I was looking around foodgawker.com<just had two more photos
>> accepted, yippiee skippie> and saw the Bacon and Habanero infused
>> Vodka photo.
>> If you start the recipe now, the vodka will be ready for the holidays.
>> This blog has beautiful photos of the process.
>>
>> Bacon and Habanero Infused Vodka
>> Adapted from Croce's Restaurant& Jazz Bar.
>>
>> 6 strips of bacon
>> 3 habanero chili peppers
>> 2 serano chile peppers
>> 1 liter good quality vodka (this is not exact)
>>
>> Add strips of bacon to a dry, cold, large skillet. Warm the skillet
>> over low heat. Cook bacon until crispy, flipping the bacon several
>> times throughout the process. Transfer cooked bacon to a paper towel
>> lined plate and set aside to cool.
>>
>> Remove the stems from each chili pepper and slice in half lengthwise.
>> Add peppers (with seeds) to a large, airtight jar. Once cooled, add
>> bacon to the same jar. Fill the jar with vodka to cover the bacon and
>> peppers. Seal the jar and let steep for 7 days in the refrigerator.*
>>
>> After 7 days, strain the vodka through a cheese cloth lined fine mesh
>> basket strainer into a clean jar or bottle. If you see any major
>> particles floating in the vodka, strain a second time. Discard the
>> bacon and peppers. Store in the refrigerator.
>>
>> Makes 1 liter.
>>
>> http://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/201...nero-infused-v...
>> orhttp://tinyurl.com/2ca8grg
>>
>> koko

> Ok, I made this over the holidays, and only let it infuse for 5 days.
> WOW!!! I must have got some really hot peppers because it will
> definitely need to be cut a bit. Also, the bacon flavor is quite mild,
> but it's hard to tell with the heat of the peppers. But it makes a
> damn good Bloody Mary!

I had a feeling it would! I've been craving bloody marys lately.

--
Happy Holidays!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:13:41 -0500, ravenlynne
> wrote:

> I've been craving bloody marys lately.

You're such a healthy drinker!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 27, 1:13*pm, ravenlynne > wrote:
> On 12/27/2010 2:28 PM, merryb wrote:
>

> > On Dec 15, 8:04 am, wrote:
> >> I was looking around foodgawker.com<just had two more photos
> >> accepted, yippiee skippie> *and saw the Bacon and Habanero infused
> >> Vodka photo.
> >> If you start the recipe now, the vodka will be ready for the holidays.
> >> This blog has beautiful photos of the process.

> >> Bacon and Habanero Infused Vodka
> >> Adapted from Croce's Restaurant& *Jazz Bar.

> >> 6 strips of bacon
> >> 3 habanero chili peppers
> >> 2 serano chile peppers
> >> 1 liter good quality vodka (this is not exact)

> >> Add strips of bacon to a dry, cold, large skillet. *Warm the skillet
> >> over low heat. *Cook bacon until crispy, flipping the bacon several
> >> times throughout the process. *Transfer cooked bacon to a paper towel
> >> lined plate and set aside to cool.

> >> Remove the stems from each chili pepper and slice in half lengthwise.
> >> Add peppers (with seeds) to a large, airtight jar. *Once cooled, add
> >> bacon to the same jar. *Fill the jar with vodka to cover the bacon and
> >> peppers. *Seal the jar and let steep for 7 days in the refrigerator.*

> >> After 7 days, strain the vodka through a cheese cloth lined fine mesh
> >> basket strainer into a clean jar or bottle. *If you see any major
> >> particles floating in the vodka, strain a second time. *Discard the
> >> bacon and peppers. *Store in the refrigerator.

> >> Makes 1 liter.

> >>http://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/201...nero-infused-v....
> >> orhttp://tinyurl.com/2ca8grg

> >> koko

> > Ok, I made this over the holidays, and only let it infuse for 5 days.
> > WOW!!! I must have got some really hot peppers because it will
> > definitely need to be cut a bit. Also, the bacon flavor is quite mild,
> > but it's hard to tell with the heat of the peppers. But it makes a
> > damn good Bloody Mary!

> I had a feeling it would! *I've been craving bloody marys lately.
>
> --
> Happy Holidays!!!- Hide quoted text -

I made some pretty decent dilly beans this year, and they are
wonderful in a bloody mary, along with a couple of olives and a celery
stick. Appetizer & drink all in one!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2010 01:28 PM, merryb wrote:

> I made some pretty decent dilly beans this year, and they are
> wonderful in a bloody mary, along with a couple of olives and a celery
> stick. Appetizer& drink all in one!

A bar we used to go to in San Diego used to serve their bloody marys
with dilled green beans and pickled onions. I loved them (the virgin
version, anyway). Cute-poet-chick always said I was drinking my salad
when I ordered them.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2010 4:24 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:13:41 -0500, ravenlynne
> > wrote:
>
>> I've been craving bloody marys lately.

> You're such a healthy drinker!

We must try at this time of year. <wink>

--
Happy Holidays!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2010 4:28 PM, merryb wrote:
> On Dec 27, 1:13 pm, > wrote:

>> I had a feeling it would! I've been craving bloody marys lately.
>>

> I made some pretty decent dilly beans this year, and they are
> wonderful in a bloody mary, along with a couple of olives and a celery
> stick. Appetizer& drink all in one!

Lots of black pepper, pickled okra, olives and celery and I'm a happy girl.

--
Happy Holidays!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Dec 15, 8:04*am, wrote:
>> I was looking around foodgawker.com <just had two more photos
>> accepted, yippiee skippie> and saw the Bacon and Habanero infused
>> Vodka photo.
>> If you start the recipe now, the vodka will be ready for the holidays.
>> This blog has beautiful photos of the process.
>>
>> Bacon and Habanero Infused Vodka

snippage

>Ok, I made this over the holidays, and only let it infuse for 5 days.
>WOW!!! I must have got some really hot peppers because it will
>definitely need to be cut a bit. Also, the bacon flavor is quite mild,
>but it's hard to tell with the heat of the peppers. But it makes a
>damn good Bloody Mary!

merryb, thank you so much for letting us know how it turned out.
sounds like milder peppers would make the perfect batch.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com
Updated 12/24/10

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 27, 5:34*pm, wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:28:18 -0800 (PST), merryb >
> wrote:
>
> >On Dec 15, 8:04*am, wrote:
> >> I was looking around foodgawker.com <just had two more photos
> >> accepted, yippiee skippie> and saw the Bacon and Habanero infused
> >> Vodka photo.
> >> If you start the recipe now, the vodka will be ready for the holidays.
> >> This blog has beautiful photos of the process.

> >> Bacon and Habanero Infused Vodka

> snippage
>
> >Ok, I made this over the holidays, and only let it infuse for 5 days.
> >WOW!!! I must have got some really hot peppers because it will
> >definitely need to be cut a bit. Also, the bacon flavor is quite mild,
> >but it's hard to tell with the heat of the peppers. But it makes a
> >damn good Bloody Mary!

> merryb, thank you so much for letting us know how it turned out.
> sounds like milder peppers would make the perfect batch.
>
> koko
> --
> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
>
> www.kokoscornerblog.com* * *
> Updated 12/24/10
>
> Natural Watkins Spiceswww.apinchofspices.com

You are welcome! Maybe just using fewer peppers as I did a 1.5x batch
and probably just overdid it...
Thank you for posting the formula- it was an unexpected and unusual
gift for family members, along with a jug o' V8 )