Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default When the cookie recipe calls for "soft shortening"

Do you reach for butter or something else? What determines your
choice?
I believe butter affords a crispier cookie - yes?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 13, 4:39*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> Do you reach for butter or something else? *What determines your
> choice?
> I believe butter affords a crispier cookie - yes?

Butter.....always..... simply because I love the taste of butter in
cookies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> Do you reach for butter or something else? What determines your
> choice?
> I believe butter affords a crispier cookie - yes?

Crisco

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> Do you reach for butter or something else? What determines your
> choice?
> I believe butter affords a crispier cookie - yes?

Probably Crisco. To me, shortening means Crisco and butter means butter
or margarine unless the butter is specifically stated as "do not
substitute." (I haven't used margarine in a year or two, fwiw; I have
used Crisco.)

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 12/13/2010 6:39 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> Do you reach for butter or something else? What determines your
> choice?
> I believe butter affords a crispier cookie - yes?

Perhaps the 'soft' means 'room temperature'? Some folks keep their
Crisco in the fridge I think, so soft would mean it's no refrigerated??
Otherwise, I have no clue ;>

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> Do you reach for butter or something else? What determines your
> choice?
> I believe butter affords a crispier cookie - yes?

Butter. Only butter. Flavor is the question.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2010 8:31 AM, Janet wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>> Do you reach for butter or something else? What determines your
>> choice?
>> I believe butter affords a crispier cookie - yes?

> Butter. Only butter. Flavor is the question.

Yes! Nothing tastes like butter..

--
Currently reading: It's finals and WoW Cataclysm is out, I'll probably
never read again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 13, 8:24*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>
> ...> Do you reach for butter or something else? *What determines your
> > choice?
> > I believe butter affords a crispier cookie - yes?

> Crisco
>
> Kent

I believe this is true. I've always used butter in my cookies, but I
think Crisco makes a crisper cookie.

Personally I prefer better tasting over crispier anyday!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Dec 13, 8:24 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
>> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>>
>> ...> Do you reach for butter or something else? What determines your
>>> choice?
>>> I believe butter affords a crispier cookie - yes?

>> Crisco
>>
>> Kent

> I believe this is true. I've always used butter in my cookies, but I
> think Crisco makes a crisper cookie.
>
> Personally I prefer better tasting over crispier anyday!
>
> John Kuthe...

Some of the old cookie recipes call for lard. I'd have to think
about which cookies I might possibly want that slight flavor in.
(I do like it in Chinese egg tart crusts.) Otherwise, I use
butter. I confess that I used some shortening when I was a mere
child, but I haven't done so for decades.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote:
-snip-

>Some of the old cookie recipes call for lard. I'd have to think
>about which cookies I might possibly want that slight flavor in.

I would think that your head would be going 'wow, what a texture' so
loud it wouldn't wonder why it was thinking about pork roast.<g>

all this talk about lard today- I'm going to go shopping for some pig
fat. [and a lard cookie recipe]

>(I do like it in Chinese egg tart crusts.) Otherwise, I use
>butter. I confess that I used some shortening when I was a mere
>child, but I haven't done so for decades.

I use butter unless the recipe calls for oil.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2010 9:37 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Dec 13, 8:24 pm, > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> ...> Do you reach for butter or something else? What determines your
>>> choice?
>>> I believe butter affords a crispier cookie - yes?

>> Crisco
>>
>> Kent

> I believe this is true. I've always used butter in my cookies, but I
> think Crisco makes a crisper cookie.
>
> Personally I prefer better tasting over crispier anyday!
>
> John Kuthe...

I don't like crispy cookies. I'm a weirdo.

--
Currently reading: It's finals and WoW Cataclysm is out, I'll probably
never read again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 14, 10:09*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> > On Dec 13, 8:24 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> >> "Kalmia" > wrote in message

> ....> Do you reach for butter or something else? *What determines your
> >> Crisco

> >> Kent

> > I believe this is true. I've always used butter in my cookies, but I
> > think Crisco makes a crisper cookie.

> > Personally I prefer better tasting over crispier anyday!

Plus, Crisco is extremely unhealthy, and it kills stupid people, but
almost always after they're past breeding age, so it does nothing to
help the gene pool.

> > John Kuthe...

> Some of the old cookie recipes call for lard. *I'd have to think
> about which cookies I might possibly want that slight flavor in.
> (I do like it in Chinese egg tart crusts.) *Otherwise, I use
> butter. *I confess that I used some shortening when I was a mere
> child, but I haven't done so for decades.

Back then almost no one knew any better.

> --
> Jean B.

--Bryan