Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cinnamon Rolls From Scratch

In news:rec.food.cooking, sf > posted on Tue, 23 Nov 2010
08:09:42 -0800 the following:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 03:03:32 -0600, Damaeus
> > wrote:
>
> > How do you make from scratch the cinnamon rolls that you cut in strips
> > and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar before rolling up without having
> > them turn out to look like the Tower of Babel after baking?

> You fill and roll the dough *before* you cut them! Then they go into
> the pan for their last rise and bake it. I use the Paula Deen recipe
> with a couple of minor alterations for personal taste.

I used Alton Brown's recipe for Southern Biscuits except I used four
tablespoons of butter instead of half butter and half shortening, and I
used half-and-half instead of buttermilk. I simply don't like buttermilk,
not even in pancakes, biscuits, nor "buttermilk ranch" salad dressing.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

I patted out the very sticky dough using flour on both sides, and then I
gently used a marble rolling pin, not even letting the full weight of the
rolling pin put pressure on the dough.. I just needed it to be a little
thinner so I could roll it up.

I put a light coat of butter on top, then cinnamon (I should have used
more cinnamon than I did) and a couple of tablespoons of sugar. I rolled
it up, used dental floss to slice rolls off that were about an inch and
and a quarter to an inch and a half thick. (Thanks to whomever suggested
that.) I baked in disposable pans at 425 degrees for about seventeen
minutes. They were perfectly done all the way through and had a very
light and delicate, pleasing, biscuit-like crunch around the edges. I
topped with cream cheese icing.

I wonder if Alton pays to be at the top of the Google search results. I
searched .... biscuit recipe .... and his recipe was the first result. A
couple of other recipes I searched for in the last week or so have also
had his at the very top.

Well, I just made them this morning, thinking my friend had to go to work
at 8pm. Well, he doesn't go in until 11. /sigh

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 05:30:12 -0600, Damaeus
> wrote:

> But the whole hydrogenated thing bugs me. Yes, I eat SOME of it, but I
> never intentionally put it in anything *I* cook or bake. I haven't seen a
> tube of biscuits that does not have hydrogenated oils.

I'm not as freaked out by hydrogenated oil as you and Bryan are. I
don't make tube biscuits even once a year. But when I do, I don't
dwell on the fact that I'm consuming hydrogenated oil. They'd be just
as unhealthy (in a different way) if I made them myself from butter or
lard. I'm lazy, I eat them, they taste good, I'm happy.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, sf > posted on Tue, 23 Nov 2010
> 08:09:42 -0800 the following:

> > You fill and roll the dough *before* you cut them! Then they go into
> > the pan for their last rise and bake it. I use the Paula Deen recipe
> > with a couple of minor alterations for personal taste.

> I used Alton Brown's recipe for Southern Biscuits

> I put a light coat of butter on top, then cinnamon (I should have used
> more cinnamon than I did) and a couple of tablespoons of sugar. I rolled
> it up, used dental floss to slice rolls off that were about an inch and
> and a quarter to an inch and a half thick. (Thanks to whomever suggested
> that.) I baked in disposable pans at 425 degrees for about seventeen
> minutes. They were perfectly done all the way through and had a very
> light and delicate, pleasing, biscuit-like crunch around the edges. I
> topped with cream cheese icing.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I have a strong association
between cinnamon rolls and yeast dough. Is there some reason you use
biscuit dough instead? Have you tried a yeast dough for these?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 09:05:23 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Damaeus > wrote:
>
>> In news:rec.food.cooking, sf > posted on Tue, 23 Nov 2010
>> 08:09:42 -0800 the following:

>> > You fill and roll the dough *before* you cut them! Then they go into
>> > the pan for their last rise and bake it. I use the Paula Deen recipe
>> > with a couple of minor alterations for personal taste.

>> I used Alton Brown's recipe for Southern Biscuits

>> I put a light coat of butter on top, then cinnamon (I should have used
>> more cinnamon than I did) and a couple of tablespoons of sugar. I rolled
>> it up, used dental floss to slice rolls off that were about an inch and
>> and a quarter to an inch and a half thick. (Thanks to whomever suggested
>> that.) I baked in disposable pans at 425 degrees for about seventeen
>> minutes. They were perfectly done all the way through and had a very
>> light and delicate, pleasing, biscuit-like crunch around the edges. I
>> topped with cream cheese icing.

>Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I have a strong association
>between cinnamon rolls and yeast dough. Is there some reason you use
>biscuit dough instead? Have you tried a yeast dough for these?

Stickies. Made them with the leftover biscuit dough. Rolled or
patted it out, put butter, cinnamon and sugar on it and rolled and cut
like regular cinnamon rolls except much smaller.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 06:50:26 -0600, Damaeus
> wrote:

> I wonder if Alton pays to be at the top of the Google search results. I
> searched .... biscuit recipe .... and his recipe was the first result. A
> couple of other recipes I searched for in the last week or so have also
> had his at the very top.

I'm guessing that AB and Big Daddy are at the top because people have
seen them on Foodnetwork and search by name. If you don't like
buttermilk biscuits, why didn't you use this site?
http://oldfashionedliving.com/biscuits.html

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Dan Abel > posted on Sat, 04 Dec
2010 09:05:23 -0800 the following:

> Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I have a strong association
> between cinnamon rolls and yeast dough. Is there some reason you use
> biscuit dough instead? Have you tried a yeast dough for these?

Not yet. But most of the cinnamon rolls I've ever liked in my life have
had a biscuit-like texture. Mrs. Winners Chicken & Biscuits, a fast-food
chicken joint, had huge cinnamon rolls that were really good, but that was
back in the 80s and early 90s. I don't know if they were yeasted rolls or
not, but biscuit dough seems to get closer to the texture they had. I
checked the Wiki article on Mrs. Winners to discover they filed bankruptcy
last month.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._Winners

http://www.mrs-winners.com/

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, The Cook > posted on Sat,
04 Dec 2010 13:33:09 -0500 the following:

> Stickies. Made them with the leftover biscuit dough. Rolled or
> patted it out, put butter, cinnamon and sugar on it and rolled and cut
> like regular cinnamon rolls except much smaller.

Well, given enough biscuit dough, I could see myself making big, fat
cinnamon rolls about eight inches in diameter.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, sf > posted on Sat, 04 Dec 2010
16:49:45 -0800 the following:

> On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 06:50:26 -0600, Damaeus
> > wrote:
>
> > I wonder if Alton pays to be at the top of the Google search results. I
> > searched .... biscuit recipe .... and his recipe was the first result. A
> > couple of other recipes I searched for in the last week or so have also
> > had his at the very top.

> I'm guessing that AB and Big Daddy are at the top because people have
> seen them on Foodnetwork and search by name. If you don't like
> buttermilk biscuits, why didn't you use this site?
> http://oldfashionedliving.com/biscuits.html

Because I didn't know it was there, and I don't need a whole different
recipe just because I don't like buttermilk. I just use regular milk
instead of buttermilk. But that recipe has half the baking powder Alton's
recipe has, and no baking soda. If biscuit perfection is a science, it
seems odd that some would have less baking powder, and some would have
more. That said, I would love to have a biscuit that turns out WHITE and
fluffy, not yellow and fluffy, so less baking powder should work. I just
don't want bricks.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 10:24:36 -0600, Damaeus
> wrote:

>In news:rec.food.cooking, sf > posted on Sat, 04 Dec 2010
>16:49:45 -0800 the following:
>
>> On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 06:50:26 -0600, Damaeus
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > I wonder if Alton pays to be at the top of the Google search results. I
>> > searched .... biscuit recipe .... and his recipe was the first result. A
>> > couple of other recipes I searched for in the last week or so have also
>> > had his at the very top.

>> I'm guessing that AB and Big Daddy are at the top because people have
>> seen them on Foodnetwork and search by name. If you don't like
>> buttermilk biscuits, why didn't you use this site?
>> http://oldfashionedliving.com/biscuits.html

>Because I didn't know it was there, and I don't need a whole different
>recipe just because I don't like buttermilk. I just use regular milk
>instead of buttermilk. But that recipe has half the baking powder Alton's
>recipe has, and no baking soda. If biscuit perfection is a science, it
>seems odd that some would have less baking powder, and some would have
>more. That said, I would love to have a biscuit that turns out WHITE and
>fluffy, not yellow and fluffy, so less baking powder should work. I just
>don't want bricks.
>
>Damaeus

You don't need baking soda if you are not using buttermilk.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> Because I didn't know it was there, and I don't need a whole different
> recipe just because I don't like buttermilk. I just use regular milk
> instead of buttermilk. But that recipe has half the baking powder Alton's
> recipe has, and no baking soda. If biscuit perfection is a science, it
> seems odd that some would have less baking powder, and some would have
> more.

I'm no baker, but I know that you can't just substitute ingredients if
you don't understand the interactions between ingredients. Some
leavenings are activated by the buttermilk. No buttermilk, and you get
bricks. If you substitute milk for buttermilk, you'll either have to
add something else, or juggle the baking powder/baking soda.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/1/2010 3:42 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 14:59:14 -1000, > wrote:
>
>> You're right that the risen dough is better but for a kid just getting
>> his baking chops it's way cool.

> Way cool is way beyond what most kids are willing to put out. So,
> congratulations! Your mama raised you well!
>
>> I could go for one of those giant rolls
>> right now but I won't cause that would be very bad for my body and
>> blood. :-)

> Hey, me too! I've been thinking about making them for well over a
> month, but haven't because we're trying to practice healthy eating.

Late reply! One of these days I'll go to the mall and get one of those
big rolls. Well, the smaller version would be more my size. The funny
part is the idea of eating a giant roll is more appealing than actually
eating one. I can only stomach a small part of a small roll so I'd need
to find someone that I can parasite off of. It's kind of sad that I
can't eat even a small plate of food. Those days are gone.

You better be careful about that healthy eating stuff - you might just
forget to go back to so-so eating.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, sf > posted on Sat, 04 Dec 2010
08:32:23 -0800 the following:

> On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 05:30:12 -0600, Damaeus
> > wrote:
>
> > But the whole hydrogenated thing bugs me. Yes, I eat SOME of it, but I
> > never intentionally put it in anything *I* cook or bake. I haven't seen
> > a tube of biscuits that does not have hydrogenated oils.

> I'm not as freaked out by hydrogenated oil as you and Bryan are. I
> don't make tube biscuits even once a year. But when I do, I don't
> dwell on the fact that I'm consuming hydrogenated oil. They'd be just
> as unhealthy (in a different way) if I made them myself from butter or
> lard.

I doubt it. I think the whole demonization of butter, red meat and lard
was a myth from the start, a deliberate lie in the hopes that people would
make themselves sick eating new-fangled stuff like hydrogenated oils.

So it's not that I'm freaked out by hydrogenated oils. I'm fully aware
that I eat it pretty regularly in things like crackers, probably some
candy bars, when I eat out, etc.... All I'm saying is that since I feel
better about real butter and animal fats, I use those at home instead of
going out of my way to get a tub of Crisco.

> I'm lazy, I eat them, they taste good, I'm happy.

Same here, if someone else has made the food. When I'm lazy, I eat out.
That's lazy and I know I take it with a dose of transfats. When I'm at
home, I make my own pie crust with butter, flour, salt, iced water and rum
or vodka. I make my own biscuits. I make my own pancakes. I make my own
pizza crust, etc....

Now I'm 40.5 and I'm not sucking down prescription meds like so many
people I've seen. I like to think my choices of food at home have
something to do with that.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Dan Abel > posted on Sun, 05 Dec
2010 12:14:33 -0800 the following:

> I'm no baker, but I know that you can't just substitute ingredients if
> you don't understand the interactions between ingredients. Some
> leavenings are activated by the buttermilk. No buttermilk, and you get
> bricks. If you substitute milk for buttermilk, you'll either have to
> add something else, or juggle the baking powder/baking soda.

These definitely were not bricks.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 13:44:16 -0600, Damaeus
> wrote:

> Now I'm 40.5 and I'm not sucking down prescription meds like so many
> people I've seen. I like to think my choices of food at home have
> something to do with that.

If you're not overweight and don't have any genetic/inherited health
issues and you're only 40, you *shouldn't* be sucking down meds.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, sf > posted on Sat, 04 Dec 2010
> 08:32:23 -0800 the following:
>
> > On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 05:30:12 -0600, Damaeus
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > But the whole hydrogenated thing bugs me. Yes, I eat SOME of it, but I
> > > never intentionally put it in anything *I* cook or bake. I haven't seen
> > > a tube of biscuits that does not have hydrogenated oils.

> > I'm not as freaked out by hydrogenated oil as you and Bryan are. I
> > don't make tube biscuits even once a year. But when I do, I don't
> > dwell on the fact that I'm consuming hydrogenated oil. They'd be just
> > as unhealthy (in a different way) if I made them myself from butter or
> > lard.

> I doubt it. I think the whole demonization of butter, red meat and lard
> was a myth from the start, a deliberate lie in the hopes that people would
> make themselves sick eating new-fangled stuff like hydrogenated oils.

Not my remembrance. Hydrogenated fats were actually a health food.
They were made from vegetable oils, which everybody knew were healthier
than fats of animal origin. But they didn't work as well for baking,
because they were a liquid at room temperature, so they invented
hydrogenation. Sadly, they found out that not only did hydrogenation
make vegetable oil into something solid at room temperature, it also
made them just as unhealthy as animal fats. And then it was discovered
that transfats were actually even less healthy.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, Dan Abel > posted on Sun, 05 Dec
> 2010 12:14:33 -0800 the following:
>
> > I'm no baker, but I know that you can't just substitute ingredients if
> > you don't understand the interactions between ingredients. Some
> > leavenings are activated by the buttermilk. No buttermilk, and you get
> > bricks. If you substitute milk for buttermilk, you'll either have to
> > add something else, or juggle the baking powder/baking soda.

> These definitely were not bricks.

Like I said, I'm no baker. I know just enough to be dangerous.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Dan Abel > posted on Mon, 06 Dec
2010 13:49:21 -0800 the following:

> In article >,
> Damaeus > wrote:
>
> > I doubt it. I think the whole demonization of butter, red meat and
> > lard was a myth from the start, a deliberate lie in the hopes that
> > people would make themselves sick eating new-fangled stuff like
> > hydrogenated oils.

> Not my remembrance. Hydrogenated fats were actually a health food.

It was THOUGHT it was a health food. It never really was. There used to
be advertisements in magazines from doctors promoting the use of
cigarettes, but were they ever really GOOD for us?

> They were made from vegetable oils, which everybody knew were healthier
> than fats of animal origin. But they didn't work as well for baking,
> because they were a liquid at room temperature, so they invented
> hydrogenation. Sadly, they found out that not only did hydrogenation
> make vegetable oil into something solid at room temperature, it also
> made them just as unhealthy as animal fats. And then it was discovered
> that transfats were actually even less healthy.

And to me, it only made more common sense all along that animal fats would
be healthier than hydrogenated oils because animal fats are (a) what
humans have eaten for longer than hydrogenated fats, and (b) lots of other
good reasons I thought of at the time but can't remember now.

Damaeus

cinnamon rolls chet General Cooking 7 20-01-2014 05:31 PM
Cinnamon Rolls MissPersephone General Cooking 0 02-01-2009 08:02 AM
Cinnamon Rolls The Bubbo General Cooking 0 08-01-2006 04:52 AM
Cinnamon Rolls [email protected] General Cooking 5 09-08-2005 09:06 PM
cinnamon rolls worldfamousjames Baking 0 31-07-2004 01:03 PM