Canned vienna sausages

Old 23-10-2010, 05:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Canned vienna sausages

I saw some of these at Aldi last week and got nostalgic. I used to love
'em back in the 60's when I was a tyke (was gonna say "yoot", but I was
younger than that at the time.) So I bought a can; I think it was 38˘
for a 5 ounce can, and I'll probably use them next time I have to give
the dog a pill.

But I was wondering, are there any ways to eat them besides "raw" on a
saltine cracker, or on a toothpick and dunked in ketchup or mustard?
Can you fry them? Or mash 'em up and make paté?

I'll bet Hawaiians have lots of good VS recipes...

Bob
Old 23-10-2010, 05:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 22, 11:17*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
I saw some of these at Aldi last week and got nostalgic. *I used to love
'em back in the 60's when I was a tyke (was gonna say "yoot", but I was
younger than that at the time.) *So I bought a can; I think it was 38˘
for a 5 ounce can, and I'll probably use them next time I have to give
the dog a pill.

But I was wondering, are there any ways to eat them besides "raw" on a
saltine cracker, or on a toothpick and dunked in ketchup or mustard?
Can you fry them? *Or mash 'em up and make paté?

I'll bet Hawaiians have lots of good VS recipes...

Bob

I dunno, I always ate them like you described.
Old 23-10-2010, 05:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 23:17:03 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

I saw some of these at Aldi last week and got nostalgic. I used to love
'em back in the 60's when I was a tyke (was gonna say "yoot", but I was
younger than that at the time.) So I bought a can; I think it was 38˘
for a 5 ounce can, and I'll probably use them next time I have to give
the dog a pill.

But I was wondering, are there any ways to eat them besides "raw" on a
saltine cracker, or on a toothpick and dunked in ketchup or mustard?
Can you fry them? Or mash 'em up and make paté?

I'll bet Hawaiians have lots of good VS recipes...

They basically turn into potted meat if you heat them in any way.
Which coincidently, is also about $.38/can.

Maybe you could try dry aging them.

-sw
Old 23-10-2010, 06:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
I saw some of these at Aldi last week and got nostalgic. I used to love
'em back in the 60's when I was a tyke (was gonna say "yoot", but I was
younger than that at the time.) So I bought a can; I think it was 38˘
for a 5 ounce can, and I'll probably use them next time I have to give
the dog a pill.

But I was wondering, are there any ways to eat them besides "raw" on a
saltine cracker, or on a toothpick and dunked in ketchup or mustard? Can
you fry them? Or mash 'em up and make paté?

I'll bet Hawaiians have lots of good VS recipes...

Bob

A bit of mustard & mashed garlic and puree, makes a tolerable 'deviled ham'.

Not that i would buy them, but a friend left a couple of cans after a
pot luck and i couldn't think of anything better to do with them.

My cats wouldn't eat them, but they wont eat any meats i offer them.

I remember rinsing them in hot water to remove the congealed fat they
are packed in.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Old 23-10-2010, 07:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:08:06 -0700, JL wrote:

Not that i would buy them, but a friend left a couple of cans after a
pot luck and i couldn't think of anything better to do with them.

snork!!! Who brings Vienna Sausages to a potluck? If somebody
honestly did that with no pun intended I might actually cry for the
person. I would feel oddly uncomfortable. What feeling is that?

-sw
Old 23-10-2010, 08:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:08:06 -0700, JL wrote:

Not that i would buy them, but a friend left a couple of cans after a
pot luck and i couldn't think of anything better to do with them.

snork!!! Who brings Vienna Sausages to a potluck? If somebody
honestly did that with no pun intended I might actually cry for the
person. I would feel oddly uncomfortable. What feeling is that?

-sw

Fortunately no one other than yourself is compelled to conform to your
exacting standards of petty anal compulsive fault finding.

Old 23-10-2010, 09:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I saw some of these at Aldi last week and got nostalgic. I used to love
'em back in the 60's when I was a tyke (was gonna say "yoot", but I was
younger than that at the time.) So I bought a can; I think it was 38˘ for
a 5 ounce can, and I'll probably use them next time I have to give the dog
a pill.

But I was wondering, are there any ways to eat them besides "raw" on a
saltine cracker, or on a toothpick and dunked in ketchup or mustard? Can
you fry them? Or mash 'em up and make paté?

I'll bet Hawaiians have lots of good VS recipes...

Bob

Wow! That's a good price. I think the cheapest I have seen them here is 50
cents. I'm sure they could probably be used in some sort of recipe, but I
don't know how. They are pretty soft. Not sure they would stand up to
frying.

Old 23-10-2010, 09:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:08:06 -0700, JL wrote:

Not that i would buy them, but a friend left a couple of cans after a
pot luck and i couldn't think of anything better to do with them.

snork!!! Who brings Vienna Sausages to a potluck? If somebody
honestly did that with no pun intended I might actually cry for the
person. I would feel oddly uncomfortable. What feeling is that?

I once went to a potluck where a person brought aerosol cheese and crackers.
Nobody ate any.

Old 23-10-2010, 12:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 23, 2:04*am, JL wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:
On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:08:06 -0700, JL wrote:

Not that i would buy them, but a friend left a couple of cans after a
pot luck and i couldn't think of anything better to do with them.

snork!!! *Who brings Vienna Sausages to a potluck? *If somebody
honestly did that with no pun intended I might actually cry for the
person. *I would feel oddly uncomfortable. *What feeling is that?

No one has suggested consulting Sheldon. I bet his SPAM recipes could
easily be modified to work with Vienna Sausages.

-sw

Fortunately no one other than yourself is compelled to conform to your
exacting standards of petty anal compulsive fault finding.

You just have trashy friends, or at least you attend pot lucks with
trashy people.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

--Bryan
Old 23-10-2010, 01:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/23/2010 12:17 AM, zxcvbob wrote:
I saw some of these at Aldi last week and got nostalgic. I used to love
'em back in the 60's when I was a tyke (was gonna say "yoot", but I was
younger than that at the time.) So I bought a can; I think it was 38˘
for a 5 ounce can, and I'll probably use them next time I have to give
the dog a pill.

But I was wondering, are there any ways to eat them besides "raw" on a
saltine cracker, or on a toothpick and dunked in ketchup or mustard? Can
you fry them? Or mash 'em up and make paté?

I'll bet Hawaiians have lots of good VS recipes...

Bob

Leave the at the store. Blech.

--
Currently reading: Star Trek TOS #2 The Entropy Effect by vonda macintyre
Old 23-10-2010, 01:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 23, 2:01*am, Meh wrote:
On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 23:17:03 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
I saw some of these at Aldi last week and got nostalgic. *I used to love
'em back in the 60's when I was a tyke (was gonna say "yoot", but I was
younger than that at the time.) *So I bought a can; I think it was 38˘
for a 5 ounce can, and I'll probably use them next time I have to give
the dog a pill.

But I was wondering, are there any ways to eat them besides "raw" on a
saltine cracker, or on a toothpick and dunked in ketchup or mustard?
Can you fry them? *Or mash 'em up and make paté?

I'll bet Hawaiians have lots of good VS recipes...

I use them on sandwiches (with cheese), in chili,
and in ramen-style soups for a bit of protein.

You don't really...do you?

--Bryan
Old 23-10-2010, 03:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I saw some of these at Aldi last week and got nostalgic. I used to love
'em back in the 60's when I was a tyke (was gonna say "yoot", but I was
younger than that at the time.) So I bought a can; I think it was 38˘ for
a 5 ounce can, and I'll probably use them next time I have to give the dog
a pill.

But I was wondering, are there any ways to eat them besides "raw" on a
saltine cracker, or on a toothpick and dunked in ketchup or mustard? Can
you fry them? Or mash 'em up and make paté?

I'll bet Hawaiians have lots of good VS recipes...

Bob

Flashback to childhood: Felice keeps a can or two hidden in her bedroom and
secretly snacks on them late at night.

Hee hee.

Felice

Old 23-10-2010, 04:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I saw some of these at Aldi last week and got nostalgic. I used to love
'em back in the 60's when I was a tyke (was gonna say "yoot", but I was
younger than that at the time.) So I bought a can; I think it was 38˘ for
a 5 ounce can, and I'll probably use them next time I have to give the dog
a pill.

But I was wondering, are there any ways to eat them besides "raw" on a
saltine cracker, or on a toothpick and dunked in ketchup or mustard? Can
you fry them? Or mash 'em up and make paté?

I'll bet Hawaiians have lots of good VS recipes...

Bob

Strange. I ate them in my yoot, too. They were a common lunch and hike
pack item. Then I saw them a couple of months ago at the Dollar Store, in a
blue can, Del Monte, IIRC, maybe not. I bought a couple of cans. I love
them now, and buy them six at a time. My wife hates when I open them, so I
just tell her to hush or I'll open a can of kippers and really smell up the
place. I also love kippers. Nothing like a can of VS, followed by a can of
kipper snacks to cleanse the palate. ;-) MMM MMM Good!

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Old 23-10-2010, 05:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 23, 10:48*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

I saw some of these at Aldi last week and got nostalgic. *I used to love
'em back in the 60's when I was a tyke (was gonna say "yoot", but I was
younger than that at the time.) *So I bought a can; I think it was 38˘ for
a 5 ounce can, and I'll probably use them next time I have to give the dog
a pill.

But I was wondering, are there any ways to eat them besides "raw" on a
saltine cracker, or on a toothpick and dunked in ketchup or mustard? Can
you fry them? *Or mash 'em up and make paté?

I'll bet Hawaiians have lots of good VS recipes...

Bob

Strange. *I ate them in my yoot, too. *They were a common lunch and hike
pack item. *Then I saw them a couple of months ago at the Dollar Store, in a
blue can, Del Monte, IIRC, maybe not. *I bought a couple of cans. *I love
them now, and buy them six at a time. *

Eating them is one thing. Using them in a "rec ipe" is a whole nother
matter.

My wife hates when I open them, so I
just tell her to hush or I'll open a can of kippers and really smell up the
place. *I also love kippers. *Nothing like a can of VS, followed by a can of
kipper snacks to cleanse the palate. *;-) *MMM MMM Good!

I love reading the phrase, "followed by a can of kipper snacks to
cleanse the palate."

Steve

--Bryan
Old 23-10-2010, 05:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
On Oct 23, 2:04 am, JL wrote:

Sqwertz wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:08:06 -0700, JL wrote:

Not that i would buy them, but a friend left a couple of cans after a
pot luck and i couldn't think of anything better to do with them.

snork!!! Who brings Vienna Sausages to a potluck? If somebody
honestly did that with no pun intended I might actually cry for the
person. I would feel oddly uncomfortable. What feeling is that?

Fortunately no one other than yourself is compelled to conform to your
exacting standards of petty anal compulsive fault finding.

You just have trashy friends, or at least you attend pot lucks with
trashy people.
--Bryan

*chuckle* cant be any worse than your own trash talk.