Melba's Jammin'

Default Soup, Popovers, Apple Crisp

That's tonight's supper.
Vegetable soup with barley; made from beef and chicken broth. Popovers
are out of the oven in six minutes.
Apple Crisp for two from my Betty Crocker Dinner For Two cookbook,
received as a bridal shower gift about 160 years ago. "-) It's going
into the oven right now. Haralson apples.
It's good to be us. It sucks to be you.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-09-04; Sam I Am!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> That's tonight's supper.
> Vegetable soup with barley; made from beef and chicken broth. Popovers
> are out of the oven in six minutes.
> Apple Crisp for two from my Betty Crocker Dinner For Two cookbook,
> received as a bridal shower gift about 160 years ago. "-) It's going
> into the oven right now. Haralson apples.
> It's good to be us. It sucks to be you.

I just put a couple pictures on my webpage -- the popovers are great --
and so easy to make; I should do it more often. I should've baked the
apple crisp another 5-10 minutes or so. The soup was as good s it was
two nights ago -- I put some dried mushrooms in it that came from my
cousin in Czechoslovakia in 1992. It was almost as good as the mushroom
barley soup at the Second Ave Deli in New Yawk.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-22-04; Popovers!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Puester

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > That's tonight's supper.
> > Vegetable soup with barley; made from beef and chicken broth. Popovers
> > are out of the oven in six minutes.
> > Apple Crisp for two from my Betty Crocker Dinner For Two cookbook,
> > received as a bridal shower gift about 160 years ago. "-) It's going
> > into the oven right now. Haralson apples.
> > It's good to be us. It sucks to be you.

> I just put a couple pictures on my webpage -- the popovers are great --
> and so easy to make; I should do it more often. I should've baked the
> apple crisp another 5-10 minutes or so. The soup was as good s it was
> two nights ago -- I put some dried mushrooms in it that came from my
> cousin in Czechoslovakia in 1992. It was almost as good as the mushroom
> barley soup at the Second Ave Deli in New Yawk.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>

Sounds ambrosial. I love both popovers and Yorkshire pud.
DD made some completely whole wheat popovers last week, in
compliance with our South Beach diet. Ick. They turned out the
texture of bath sponges. Not bad flavor, though. WHole wheat
anything-but-bread leaves something to be desired.

gloria p
Puester

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > That's tonight's supper.
> > Vegetable soup with barley; made from beef and chicken broth. Popovers
> > are out of the oven in six minutes.
> > Apple Crisp for two from my Betty Crocker Dinner For Two cookbook,
> > received as a bridal shower gift about 160 years ago. "-) It's going
> > into the oven right now. Haralson apples.
> > It's good to be us. It sucks to be you.

> I just put a couple pictures on my webpage -- the popovers are great --
> and so easy to make; I should do it more often. I should've baked the
> apple crisp another 5-10 minutes or so. The soup was as good s it was
> two nights ago -- I put some dried mushrooms in it that came from my
> cousin in Czechoslovakia in 1992. It was almost as good as the mushroom
> barley soup at the Second Ave Deli in New Yawk.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>

Sounds ambrosial. I love both popovers and Yorkshire pud.
DD made some completely whole wheat popovers last week, in
compliance with our South Beach diet. Ick. They turned out the
texture of bath sponges. Not bad flavor, though. WHole wheat
anything-but-bread leaves something to be desired.

gloria p
Frogleg

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:49:11 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I just put a couple pictures on my webpage -- the popovers are great --
>and so easy to make; I should do it more often.

<www.jamlady.eboard.com>

Would you *look* at those popovers !?! I spend about 6 months making
popovers once a week, and never could achieve reliable results. Mix
thoroughly, mix gently, ingredients room or other temperatures, pour
into pre-heated muffin pan, pour into cold popover pan, vary oven
temperatures, and every other thing I could think of. Not only did I
fail to develop a sure-fire recipe/method, but some of the same batch
would 'pop', and others be the height of a cupcake. And now you're
telling me I need custard cups Pyrex no longer makes! Not fair!

Hahabogus

Frogleg > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:49:11 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>>I just put a couple pictures on my webpage -- the popovers are great --
>>and so easy to make; I should do it more often.

> <www.jamlady.eboard.com>
>
> Would you *look* at those popovers !?! I spend about 6 months making
> popovers once a week, and never could achieve reliable results. Mix
> thoroughly, mix gently, ingredients room or other temperatures, pour
> into pre-heated muffin pan, pour into cold popover pan, vary oven
> temperatures, and every other thing I could think of. Not only did I
> fail to develop a sure-fire recipe/method, but some of the same batch
> would 'pop', and others be the height of a cupcake. And now you're
> telling me I need custard cups Pyrex no longer makes! Not fair!

To me Popovers are Yorkshire pudding, but cooked in indivual servings. My
mother used to let her batter sit over night (somewhat like some crepe
batters say too) and it alway rose high.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Zspider

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Vegetable soup with barley; made from beef and chicken broth.
Popovers are out of the oven in six minutes. Apple Crisp for
two from my Betty Crocker Dinner For Two cookbook, received as
a bridal shower gift about 160 years ago.

********
I've got a Betty Crocker cookbook that is one of my favorites.

Michael

Nancy Dooley

Frogleg > wrote in message

> would 'pop', and others be the height of a cupcake. And now you're
> telling me I need custard cups Pyrex no longer makes! Not fair!

I have a 6-compartment dedicated popover pan, and have never had a
"failure-to-pop." I love it...I've done popovers in custard cups, but
they don't hold a candle to my pan.

N.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
unicate (Alexis Siefert) wrote:

> >From:
(Nancy Dooley) Date: 10/25/04
> >6:33 AM Alaskan Daylight Time Message-id:
> m>
> >
> >Frogleg > wrote in message
> >
> >> would 'pop', and others be the height of a cupcake. And now you're
> >> telling me I need custard cups Pyrex no longer makes! Not fair!

> >I have a 6-compartment dedicated popover pan, and have never had a
> >"failure-to-pop." I love it...I've done popovers in custard cups,
> >but they don't hold a candle to my pan.

> I do my popovers in a regular muffin tin, and I've never had them
> fail to pop. However, my recipe is somewhat different than the one
> from your website.
>
> Here it is for anyone interested:
>
> Grease your muffin tin and put it in the fridge to chill. Do NOT
> preheat the oven.

> Mix in a bowl:
>
> 3 eggs
> 1 cup flour
> 1 cup milk
> pinch of salt
>
> This will be lumpy. Fill the muffin tins 1/2 full and place in the
> cold oven. Turn the temp to 450degF and bake for 30 minutes. Do NOT
> open the oven during baking.

> Fini.

> Alexis.

Yeah, that extra egg helps the "pop"; otherwise, the ratios are the
same. I've always been kind of curious about using regular muffin
tins: When they rise, don't they touch each other? I also think all
the variations are interesting: Your recipe chills the tin; some *heat*
the pan. Some recipes preheat the oven--and maybe reduce its temp after
baking a few minutes; some start in a cold oven. Go figure.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-22-04; Popovers!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Alexis Siefert

(Alexis Siefert) wrote:

>> >From:
(Nancy Dooley) Date: 10/25/04
>> >6:33 AM Alaskan Daylight Time Message-id:
>> m>

>> >I have a 6-compartment dedicated popover pan, and have never had a
>> >"failure-to-pop." I love it...I've done popovers in custard cups,
>> >but they don't hold a candle to my pan.

>> I do my popovers in a regular muffin tin, and I've never had them
>> fail to pop. However, my recipe is somewhat different than the one
>> from your website.
>>
>> Here it is for anyone interested:
>>
>> Grease your muffin tin and put it in the fridge to chill. Do NOT
>> preheat the oven.

>> Mix in a bowl:
>>
>> 3 eggs
>> 1 cup flour
>> 1 cup milk
>> pinch of salt
>>
>> This will be lumpy. Fill the muffin tins 1/2 full and place in the
>> cold oven. Turn the temp to 450degF and bake for 30 minutes. Do NOT
>> open the oven during baking.

>> Fini.

>> Alexis.

>Yeah, that extra egg helps the "pop"; otherwise, the ratios are the
>same. I've always been kind of curious about using regular muffin
>tins: When they rise, don't they touch each other? I also think all
>the variations are interesting: Your recipe chills the tin; some *heat*
>the pan. Some recipes preheat the oven--and maybe reduce its temp after
>baking a few minutes; some start in a cold oven. Go figure.

Is that what the extra egg does? I knew it added some richness, but I didn't
know it would help with the height.

This recipe makes 6-8 popovers, so when I use a muffin tin, I just spread them
out a bit and they don't touch. I use a 12-muffin tin, and it seems to work
just fine.

Alexis.

Alexis Siefert

(Alexis Siefert) wrote:

>> >From:
(Nancy Dooley) Date: 10/25/04
>> >6:33 AM Alaskan Daylight Time Message-id:
>> m>

>> >I have a 6-compartment dedicated popover pan, and have never had a
>> >"failure-to-pop." I love it...I've done popovers in custard cups,
>> >but they don't hold a candle to my pan.

>> I do my popovers in a regular muffin tin, and I've never had them
>> fail to pop. However, my recipe is somewhat different than the one
>> from your website.
>>
>> Here it is for anyone interested:
>>
>> Grease your muffin tin and put it in the fridge to chill. Do NOT
>> preheat the oven.

>> Mix in a bowl:
>>
>> 3 eggs
>> 1 cup flour
>> 1 cup milk
>> pinch of salt
>>
>> This will be lumpy. Fill the muffin tins 1/2 full and place in the
>> cold oven. Turn the temp to 450degF and bake for 30 minutes. Do NOT
>> open the oven during baking.

>> Fini.

>> Alexis.

>Yeah, that extra egg helps the "pop"; otherwise, the ratios are the
>same. I've always been kind of curious about using regular muffin
>tins: When they rise, don't they touch each other? I also think all
>the variations are interesting: Your recipe chills the tin; some *heat*
>the pan. Some recipes preheat the oven--and maybe reduce its temp after
>baking a few minutes; some start in a cold oven. Go figure.

Is that what the extra egg does? I knew it added some richness, but I didn't
know it would help with the height.

This recipe makes 6-8 popovers, so when I use a muffin tin, I just spread them
out a bit and they don't touch. I use a 12-muffin tin, and it seems to work
just fine.

Alexis.
Christine Dabney

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:35:47 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>Yeah, that extra egg helps the "pop"; otherwise, the ratios are the
>same. I've always been kind of curious about using regular muffin
>tins: When they rise, don't they touch each other? I also think all
>the variations are interesting: Your recipe chills the tin; some *heat*
>the pan. Some recipes preheat the oven--and maybe reduce its temp after
>baking a few minutes; some start in a cold oven. Go figure.

I grew up eating popovers, and my mother always made them in muffin
tins. I don't recall the that them touching each other was much of a
problem, but this was over 40 years ago. Maybe some did touch each
other, but it wasn't a big problem.

Hmmm..popovers.. guess I will have to make some soon.

Can someone remind me of the rule about baking or cooking at high
altitudes? I am a mile above sea level where I am right now.

Christine

Apple Crisp z z General Cooking 1 03-03-2013 04:27 AM
Turkey soup with popovers Julia Altshuler General Cooking 0 26-03-2008 10:59 PM
REC: apple crisp Jackie Patti[_2_] Diabetic 7 29-10-2007 02:58 AM
Apple Crisp Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-09-2005 11:33 AM
Apple Crisp: Duckie ® Recipes 0 23-09-2005 11:15 PM