Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default SO's birthday party in 3&1/2 weeks.

For the past couple of months it's been "I just want a BBQ with a couple
of people at most. It's no big deal."

It's her 50th!! I had a hard time convincing her to let her hair out a
bit. She wouldn't budge.

Anyways, that has all changed. The recent sudden death of a workmate she
was close to, and thinking back to her own older sisters *one* celebration
before she lost her battle with cancer a few years back, has given her a
*huge* jolt.

We went from her, me and about 4 others having a small BBQ get-together,
to a list that is still growing. Last count, we have 46 people attending!!

So...... the venue has changed. We can managed 20 people in the house, but
getting up around 50 is too many, so we're moving it to the local
community hall.

And now the catering side of it has gone from a couple of hours work, to a
couple of *days* work!!

But I don't mind........ I've been at her for years to celebrate her
birthdays, I'm just glad she has finally wants to.

Mind you..... my 50th birthday party went for 17 days :-)

And yes, the party is on your "Halloween" night, which Aussie kids have
started to imitate :-/

For the birthday cake, I'm going to be making *two* of these.......

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=784232

I last made it for her birthday back in 2007, and ever since then I've had
her, and the people who were there, asking me when I was going to ever
make it again!!

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...oc%20birthday%
20cake/

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 03:25:14 GMT, Aussie
> wrote:

> For the birthday cake, I'm going to be making *two* of these.......
>
> http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=784232

I see it's a buttermilk cake variation. I've been looking at them for
the last few days. That frosting looks awesome, nice and chocolaty.
I'd probably change it to 100% dark chocolate, so I'd feel like I was
eating a candy bar. Saving the recipe. Thanks.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news:rrvna6t53g5pqcaf6fmop9a34bc0jmr1mj@
4ax.com:

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 03:25:14 GMT, Aussie
> > wrote:
>
>> For the birthday cake, I'm going to be making *two* of these.......
>>
>> http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=784232

> I see it's a buttermilk cake variation. I've been looking at them for
> the last few days. That frosting looks awesome, nice and chocolaty.

The frosting *is* awesome....... when I was making it, I thought, "This
doesn't sound like it's going to be any sort of tasty" but boy!! was I
wrong!! The setting and then whipping it changes it dramatically.

The cake is fantastic, moist, and choc full of flavour (NPI), and the
frosting sets it *right* off!! I still remember people licking their
fingers, (and their plates!!) and asking for a second (and a couple of
them even a 3rd!!) piece.

And we had more people than usual dropping round for coffee and "Oh, do
you have any of the cake left?" in the days/week afterwards.

> I'd probably change it to 100% dark chocolate, so I'd feel like I was
> eating a candy bar.

I think they have it as 1/2 and 1/2 to counterbalance the dark chocolate
cake and give it a bit of contrast.... but hey!! knock yourself out :-)

> Saving the recipe. Thanks.

No worries, let us know when you make it and what it's like.

Just remember to get a *big* cake tin!!

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 07:59:41 GMT, Aussie
> wrote:

> I think they have it as 1/2 and 1/2 to counterbalance the dark chocolate
> cake and give it a bit of contrast.... but hey!! knock yourself out :-)

I like the richness of dark, dark chocolate, so I think I will!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=784232

> I see it's a buttermilk cake variation. I've been looking at them for
> the last few days. That frosting looks awesome, nice and chocolaty.
> I'd probably change it to 100% dark chocolate, so I'd feel like I was
> eating a candy bar. Saving the recipe. Thanks.

I really don't like the idea of vegetable oil in chocolate frosting.

I got this recipe thirty-one years ago from a friend who won a prize at our
county fair for it. It uses sour cream instead of buttermilk:

Angelique's Chocolate Fudge Cake

3 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups light brown sugar
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sour cream
1 cup boiling water

Melt chocolate over low heat. Generously grease and lightly flour two
nine-inch cake pans. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together.

Cream butter in large bowl, add brown sugar and eggs. Beat until fluffy
(about five minutes). Add vanilla and melted chocolate. Add dry
ingredients alternately with sour cream, beating after each addition until
smooth. Stir in boiling water. (Batter will be thin.)

Pour into pans and bake at 350º F for about thirty minutes. (Test by poking
the center with a toothpick; the cake is done when the toothpick comes out
clean.)

Cool in pans on a rack for ten minutes, then turn out and cool completely.
Frost with Chocolate Fudge Frosting and keep refrigerated.

Chocolate Fudge Frosting

4 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup butter
1 lb 10X confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

Combine chocolate and butter over low heat just until melted, then remove
from heat. Combine sugar, vanilla, and milk in a medium-sized metal bowl.
Stir until smooth. Add the chocolate mixture. Set bowl inside large bowl
of ice water and stir with a wooden spoon until the frosting reaches the
right consistency.

Bob