Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boneless Butterball turkey rolls

As two pre-Alzheimer seniors, my friend and myself enjoy Thanksgiving
Day together and she usually cooks turkey parts as a whole turkey is a
bit much. Last year she roasted a butterball turkey roll and it was
dryer than a f**t. I contributed a dark/light roll this year and am
hoping that it turns out better than the one she did last year.

She said cooking instructions required at least 6 hours cooking from a
frozen state. No wonder it was dry. Can anyone suggest a better way of
doing these things? Can one thaw or partially thaw them out (in a
fridge) to cut down the roasting time? The Internet search wasn't that
helpful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 2, 2:03*pm, Roy > wrote:
> As two pre-Alzheimer seniors, my friend and myself enjoy Thanksgiving
> Day together and she usually cooks turkey parts as a whole turkey is a
> bit much. Last year she roasted a butterball turkey roll and it was
> dryer than a f**t. I contributed a dark/light roll this year and am
> hoping that it turns out better than the one she did last year.
>
> She said cooking instructions required at least 6 hours cooking from a
> frozen state. No wonder it was dry. Can anyone suggest a better way of
> doing these things? Can one thaw or partially thaw them out (in a
> fridge) to cut down the roasting time? The Internet search wasn't that
> helpful.

I would thaw it out. Definitely.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 2, 3:10*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
Can one thaw or partially thaw them out (in a
> > fridge) to cut down the roasting time? The Internet search wasn't that
> > helpful.

> I would thaw it out. * Definitely.

and....maybe inject it with some butter or broth....and wrap it
bacon.....and use a meat thermometer so you don't overcook it..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:
> As two pre-Alzheimer seniors, my friend and myself enjoy Thanksgiving
> Day together and she usually cooks turkey parts as a whole turkey is a
> bit much. Last year she roasted a butterball turkey roll and it was
> dryer than a f**t. I contributed a dark/light roll this year and am
> hoping that it turns out better than the one she did last year.
>
> She said cooking instructions required at least 6 hours cooking from a
> frozen state. No wonder it was dry. Can anyone suggest a better way of
> doing these things? Can one thaw or partially thaw them out (in a
> fridge) to cut down the roasting time? The Internet search wasn't that
> helpful.

Given the conditions, I'd roast a chicken instead.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 18:34:28 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 17:00:08 -0600, "gloria.p" >
>> wrote:

>>> Given the conditions, I'd roast a chicken instead.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> I'd roast a turkey breast, they cook evenly from the inside as well as
>> the outside and easy to tell when done, its little plastic peepee
>> pops. If I wanted both dark and white meat I'd buy a small hen
>> turkey, about 10 pounds.. they're usually on sale this time of year at
>> a good price... and if still too much after cooking the leftovers
>> freeze well... and the hens are the best bargain, they have a higher
>> ratio of meat to bone than a tom... and two hens defrost and cook in
>> less time than a tom... and two hens, one at each end of a dining
>> table, make a nicer presentation than one large turkey...

>For two people (and no cats that we know of), Sheldon? The OP said a
>few turkey parts are too much and you're suggesting two 10 lb. turkeys?

Comprehension, Gloria, comprehension.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 2, 5:47*pm, Aussie > wrote:
> [...]

> @news.eternal-
> >> september.org:

> Thanksgiving

> of

> that

> >> I didn't even know what a 'butterball turkey' was, so did a GIMF, and

> cam
> >> up with this.......

> >>http://www.butterball.com/

> >> Put your cursor on the Tips and How To's on the left side for cooking

> etc
>

> > =Thanks, was there but there were no tips for my " Boneless Light and
> > Dark Turkey Roast" unfortunately. I think we will thaw it in the
> > fridge and cook it in the oven and use proper thermometer and see what
> > happens.
> > =

> Cook to 175 degrees once thawed.
> (Step 4)
>
> http://www.butterball.com/tips-how-tos/how-tos/roast
>
> Boneless Roasts
>
> * *1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
> * *2. Remove outer plastic netting and packaging. Leave inner string
> netting on the roast. Drain juices and pat dry with clean paper towels.
> For easier net removal before serving, lift string netting and shift
> position on roast. Refrigerate gravy packet.
> * *3. Place prepared roast, skin side up, on a flat roasting rack in 2-
> inch deep roasting pan. Do not add water to pan.
> * *4. Roast uncovered according to time guidelines below or until meat
> thermometer in center of the breast roast (all white meat) reaches 170
> degrees and the center of the turkey roast (white/dark meat) reaches 175
> degrees.
> * *5. Roasting time will vary from guidelines above if roast is covered or
> placed in an oven-cooking bag. For easier net removal after roasting, wrap
> roast in foil and let stand 10 minutes. Remove netting and slice roast.
>
> Thawed (hrs.) * Frozen (hrs.)
> 1¾ to 2 * * * * * * * 2½ to 3
>
> Roasts may be cooked from frozen:
>
> * *1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
> * *2. Remove gravy packet with spatula and refrigerate. You cannot shift
> string netting, so it is important to wrap in foil after roasting.
> * *3. Place prepared roast, skin side up, on a flat roasting rack in a 2-
> inch deep roasting pan. Do not add water to pan.
> * *4. Roast uncovered according to time guidelines below or until meat
> thermometer in center of the breast roast (all white meat) reaches 170
> degrees and the center of the turkey roast (white/dark meat) reaches 175
> degrees.
> * *5. For easier net removal after roasting, wrap roast in foil and let
> stand 10 minutes. Remove netting and slice roast.
>
> Frozen (hrs.)
> 2½ to 3
>
> --
> Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Hobart
> Tasmania
>
> The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
> whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,

==
Thank you so much...how in Hell I missed that is beyond me. Must have
been in a hurry.

Anyway, much appreciated.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 22:46:18 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
wrote:

>On Oct 2, 5:47*pm, Aussie > wrote:
>> Roy > wrote in news:f4a5dee1-defb-4a7a-8f87-
>> :

>> @news.eternal-

>> Thanksgiving

>> of

>> that

>> cam

>> etc
>>

>> > =Thanks, was there but there were no tips for my " Boneless Light and
>> > Dark Turkey Roast" unfortunately. I think we will thaw it in the
>> > fridge and cook it in the oven and use proper thermometer and see what
>> > happens.
>> > =

>> Cook to 175 degrees once thawed.
>> (Step 4)
>>
>> http://www.butterball.com/tips-how-tos/how-tos/roast
>>
>> Boneless Roasts
>>
>> * *1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
>> * *2. Remove outer plastic netting and packaging. Leave inner string
>> netting on the roast. Drain juices and pat dry with clean paper towels.
>> For easier net removal before serving, lift string netting and shift
>> position on roast. Refrigerate gravy packet.
>> * *3. Place prepared roast, skin side up, on a flat roasting rack in 2-
>> inch deep roasting pan. Do not add water to pan.
>> * *4. Roast uncovered according to time guidelines below or until meat
>> thermometer in center of the breast roast (all white meat) reaches 170
>> degrees and the center of the turkey roast (white/dark meat) reaches 175
>> degrees.
>> * *5. Roasting time will vary from guidelines above if roast is covered or
>> placed in an oven-cooking bag. For easier net removal after roasting, wrap
>> roast in foil and let stand 10 minutes. Remove netting and slice roast.
>>
>> Thawed (hrs.) * Frozen (hrs.)
>> 1¾ to 2 * * * * * * * 2½ to 3
>>
>> Roasts may be cooked from frozen:
>>
>> * *1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
>> * *2. Remove gravy packet with spatula and refrigerate. You cannot shift
>> string netting, so it is important to wrap in foil after roasting.
>> * *3. Place prepared roast, skin side up, on a flat roasting rack in a 2-
>> inch deep roasting pan. Do not add water to pan.
>> * *4. Roast uncovered according to time guidelines below or until meat
>> thermometer in center of the breast roast (all white meat) reaches 170
>> degrees and the center of the turkey roast (white/dark meat) reaches 175
>> degrees.
>> * *5. For easier net removal after roasting, wrap roast in foil and let
>> stand 10 minutes. Remove netting and slice roast.
>>
>> Frozen (hrs.)
>> 2½ to 3
>>
>> --
>> Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>> Hobart
>> Tasmania
>>
>> The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
>> whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
>> but only when done with love.

>==
>Thank you so much...how in Hell I missed that is beyond me.

Alzheimer...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 3, 6:31*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 22:46:18 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
> wrote:
>

> >On Oct 2, 5:47*pm, Aussie > wrote:
> >> Roy > wrote in news:f4a5dee1-defb-4a7a-8f87-
> >> :

> >> @news.eternal-

> >> Thanksgiving

> >> of
> >> that

> >> cam

> >> etc

> >> Cook to 175 degrees once thawed.
> >> (Step 4)

> >>http://www.butterball.com/tips-how-tos/how-tos/roast

> >> Boneless Roasts

> >> * *1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
> >> * *2. Remove outer plastic netting and packaging. Leave inner string
> >> netting on the roast. Drain juices and pat dry with clean paper towels..
> >> For easier net removal before serving, lift string netting and shift
> >> position on roast. Refrigerate gravy packet.
> >> * *3. Place prepared roast, skin side up, on a flat roasting rack in 2-
> >> inch deep roasting pan. Do not add water to pan.
> >> * *4. Roast uncovered according to time guidelines below or until meat
> >> thermometer in center of the breast roast (all white meat) reaches 170
> >> degrees and the center of the turkey roast (white/dark meat) reaches 175
> >> degrees.
> >> * *5. Roasting time will vary from guidelines above if roast is covered or
> >> placed in an oven-cooking bag. For easier net removal after roasting, wrap
> >> roast in foil and let stand 10 minutes. Remove netting and slice roast..

> >> Thawed (hrs.) * Frozen (hrs.)
> >> 1¾ to 2 * * * * * * * 2½ to 3

> >> Roasts may be cooked from frozen:

> >> * *1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
> >> * *2. Remove gravy packet with spatula and refrigerate. You cannot shift
> >> string netting, so it is important to wrap in foil after roasting.
> >> * *3. Place prepared roast, skin side up, on a flat roasting rack in a 2-
> >> inch deep roasting pan. Do not add water to pan.
> >> * *4. Roast uncovered according to time guidelines below or until meat
> >> thermometer in center of the breast roast (all white meat) reaches 170
> >> degrees and the center of the turkey roast (white/dark meat) reaches 175
> >> degrees.
> >> * *5. For easier net removal after roasting, wrap roast in foil and let
> >> stand 10 minutes. Remove netting and slice roast.

> >> Frozen (hrs.)
> >> 2½ to 3

> >> --
> >> Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> >> Hobart
> >> Tasmania

> >> The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
> >> whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
> >> but only when done with love.

> >==
> >Thank you so much...how in Hell I missed that is beyond me.

> Alzheimer...

==
Thanks Brooky, so far, so good. Alzheimer's symptoms can appear at any
time...it is an insidious disease. I have seen people with it and it
so sad to see their lives slowly destroyed and the distress of family
members as their loved ones deteriorate.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 3, 9:48*am, Roy > wrote:
> On Oct 3, 6:31*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 22:46:18 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
> > wrote:

> > >==
> > >Thank you so much...how in Hell I missed that is beyond me.

> > Alzheimer...

> ==
> Thanks Brooky, so far, so good. Alzheimer's symptoms can appear at any
> time...it is an insidious disease. I have seen people with it and it
> so sad to see their lives slowly destroyed and the distress of family
> members as their loved ones deteriorate.

We do a 12# bird when it's just the 2 of us, and not necessarily just
Thanksgiving. You could freeze half of it for another time.......we
never make it that long. We love turkey and rerun it for days after
cooking it. That way you both have your meat preference, and another
meal to share, with little prep, at another time. Sometimes you can
find an 8# bird.
Good luck, and most of the whole ones have popup thermometers built
in!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> >
>> >Thank you so much...how in Hell I missed that is beyond me.

>> Alzheimer...

>==
>Thanks Brooky, so far, so good. Alzheimer's symptoms can appear at any
>time...it is an insidious disease. I have seen people with it and it
>so sad to see their lives slowly destroyed and the distress of family
>members as their loved ones deteriorate.

Forestall by keeping the mind active, crossword puzzels help,
newsgroups are excellent mental stimulation. My ex MIL went down hill
fast, she went from having a very active life owning her own business
to just sitting in a chair rocking and moaning, couldn't even get her
to watch tv. Her doctors said she would have had a far better quality
of life and could have lived 20 more years had she not given up. There
are so many folks today in their 50s-60s who absolutely refuse to
learn even the very basics of using a PC... and hasn't to do with lack
of money, the library in town has a whole slew of computers anyone
with a library card can use for free, they even have free computer
classes... public schools the same, sr centers too. And today PCs are
dirt cheap, and anyone with a phone can use dial up at no extra
charge. I have friends I worked with, went to school with, served in
the military with, only one old shipmate has a PC, can't convince the
rest. It's very difficult to keep in touch over distance today in any
meaningful way without logging on... most times when I phone no one
answers and they don't have voice mail nor do they bother to check
answering machines, they don't even turn them on. When folks give up
it's very sad... we don't hear about those because they have regressed
so deeply into the shadows but there are a lot. A person can only
reach out so much and then has to give up too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2010 12:34 PM, Nan wrote:
> On Oct 3, 9:48 am, > wrote:
>> On Oct 3, 6:31 am, Brooklyn1<Gravesend1> wrote:

>>> Alzheimer...

>> ==
>> Thanks Brooky, so far, so good. Alzheimer's symptoms can appear at any
>> time...it is an insidious disease. I have seen people with it and it
>> so sad to see their lives slowly destroyed and the distress of family
>> members as their loved ones deteriorate.

> We do a 12# bird when it's just the 2 of us, and not necessarily just
> Thanksgiving. You could freeze half of it for another time.......we
> never make it that long. We love turkey and rerun it for days after
> cooking it. That way you both have your meat preference, and another
> meal to share, with little prep, at another time. Sometimes you can
> find an 8# bird.
> Good luck, and most of the whole ones have popup thermometers built
> in!!

We do the same but with a 16 to 18 lb bird, the descendants always come
here for Thanksgiving and, since our three eldest grandkids and one of
their SO's are over six feet and more than 200 lbs it takes a big turkey
plus a ham to feed all twenty of us.

I take the carcass and neck and cook them down into a thick stock, fish
out the bones, skim most of the fat and then freeze it for soup making
and for chicken and sausage gumbo. Waste not, want not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 13:54:01 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>On 10/3/2010 12:34 PM, Nan wrote:

>>> ==
>>> Thanks Brooky, so far, so good. Alzheimer's symptoms can appear at any
>>> time...it is an insidious disease. I have seen people with it and it
>>> so sad to see their lives slowly destroyed and the distress of family
>>> members as their loved ones deteriorate.

>> We do a 12# bird when it's just the 2 of us, and not necessarily just
>> Thanksgiving. You could freeze half of it for another time.......we
>> never make it that long. We love turkey and rerun it for days after
>> cooking it. That way you both have your meat preference, and another
>> meal to share, with little prep, at another time. Sometimes you can
>> find an 8# bird.
>> Good luck, and most of the whole ones have popup thermometers built
>> in!!

>We do the same but with a 16 to 18 lb bird, the descendants always come
>here for Thanksgiving and, since our three eldest grandkids and one of
>their SO's are over six feet and more than 200 lbs it takes a big turkey
>plus a ham to feed all twenty of us.
>
>I take the carcass and neck and cook them down into a thick stock, fish
>out the bones, skim most of the fat and then freeze it for soup making
>and for chicken and sausage gumbo. Waste not, want not.

That would be 'turkey' and sausage...

When it's just me I roast a turkey breast.. in three days my cats and
I polish it off.

When I have a guest or two I roast a hen, usually 12-14 lbs... three
adults and my cats can polish off half at the first sitting. The next
day even just me and the cats will polish off a good part that's left.
Very occasionally I'll slice some to freeze for lunch at a later date.

Turkey is relatively inexpensive, and it costs less to cook a whole
turkey or a turkey breast on it's frame than a turkey roll (turkey
roll will cook up kind of dry no matter what). I've never yet had a
problem with too much turkey, as I said in my first post, turkey
freezes well. And I haven't bothered to use the frame for soup in
many years, not really worth it and besides I enjoy picking and
gnawing at the frame till it's only fit to toss into the yard for the
critters. Adn I don't really care for turkey soup, I like chicken
soup much better, and then I use a whole chicken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:
> As two pre-Alzheimer seniors, my friend and myself enjoy Thanksgiving
> Day together and she usually cooks turkey parts as a whole turkey is a
> bit much. Last year she roasted a butterball turkey roll and it was
> dryer than a f**t. I contributed a dark/light roll this year and am
> hoping that it turns out better than the one she did last year.
>
> She said cooking instructions required at least 6 hours cooking from a
> frozen state. No wonder it was dry. Can anyone suggest a better way of
> doing these things? Can one thaw or partially thaw them out (in a
> fridge) to cut down the roasting time? The Internet search wasn't that
> helpful.

For some reason, I find poultry and meat cooked with the bone(s)
to be more succulent--not that one can't dry those things out with
overcooking.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 13:48:51 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

> For some reason, I find poultry and meat cooked with the bone(s)
> to be more succulent--not that one can't dry those things out with
> overcooking.

The only things with bones that I make perfectly every time is
standing rib roast and roast chicken. I roast my chicken on a
vertical roaster, so it's no fail chicken... but it's kinda hard to
fit a turkey in the oven that way.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 13:48:51 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> For some reason, I find poultry and meat cooked with the bone(s)
>> to be more succulent--not that one can't dry those things out with
>> overcooking.

> The only things with bones that I make perfectly every time is
> standing rib roast and roast chicken. I roast my chicken on a
> vertical roaster, so it's no fail chicken... but it's kinda hard to
> fit a turkey in the oven that way.

Hmmm. I may have a vertical roaster buried here somewhere.
That's another good thing about moving! :-)

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 18:28:10 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

> Hmmm. I may have a vertical roaster buried here somewhere.
> That's another good thing about moving! :-)

You never know what might turn up. Did you know that pots de crème is
coming back into style now? They aren't making them in the old
fashioned deep cups anymore, the containers look more like miniature
French onion soup bowls now.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 18:28:10 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. I may have a vertical roaster buried here somewhere.
>> That's another good thing about moving! :-)

> You never know what might turn up. Did you know that pots de crème is
> coming back into style now? They aren't making them in the old
> fashioned deep cups anymore, the containers look more like miniature
> French onion soup bowls now.

I used to love pots de creme. I probably don't care what I serve
them in. I have sooooo many dishes, I feel no need to get more.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Did you know that pots de crème is coming back into style now? They
> aren't making them in the old fashioned deep cups anymore, the containers
> look more like miniature French onion soup bowls now.

Guess I'm ahead of my time, then; I made Mexican chocolate pots de creme as
part of my 2007 Christmas dinner.

There's a pretty good site about them at http://www.potsdecreme.com.

Bob

Butterball turkey bacon Mr.E General Cooking 2 24-06-2013 06:03 AM
turkey rolls Storrmmee Diabetic 9 24-09-2011 09:55 PM
I saw the Butterball Turkey Fryer Commercial Sqwertz[_25_] General Cooking 9 28-11-2010 07:14 PM
Butterball turkey fryer informmercial Mark Thorson General Cooking 13 20-11-2010 09:32 PM
Lost turkey recipe (skin wrapped stuffed boneless turkey) jammer General Cooking 3 23-11-2003 01:05 AM