Old rice

Old 16-09-2010, 07:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Old rice

I made Emeril's Cajun Jambalaya, last night.

http://tinyurl.com/5excp5

Pretty dang good for an FN recipe. Only one problem, OLD rice!

I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
does. Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
Ick!

This was long grain white rice and was only about 8-9 mos old. What's
the shelf life of most rices?

nb

Old 16-09-2010, 07:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 16, 11:15*am, notbob wrote:
I made Emeril's Cajun Jambalaya, last night.

http://tinyurl.com/5excp5

Pretty dang good for an FN recipe. *Only one problem, OLD rice!

I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
does. *Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
Ick!

This was long grain white rice and was only about 8-9 mos old. *What's
the shelf life of most rices?

nb

Here's a good read on the shelf life of rice.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/shelf-life-of-rice.html
Old 16-09-2010, 07:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:15:13 GMT, notbob wrote:

I made Emeril's Cajun Jambalaya, last night.

http://tinyurl.com/5excp5

Pretty dang good for an FN recipe. Only one problem, OLD rice!

I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
does. Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
Ick!

This was long grain white rice and was only about 8-9 mos old. What's
the shelf life of most rices?

nb

I just this week bought a five pound bag of ordinary store brand
(Walmart) white rice to replace the last bag that was just used up
after seven years... was perfectly good all those years. I don't use
much rice, less than a pound a year. I've never had raw white rice go
bad... cooked is a whole nother story (forgotten for weeks in the
fridge), however birds ate it. I store my rice in air tight gallon
glass jars... my house is kept climate controled; temperature 68F-70F
and humidity 35%-40% all year.
Old 16-09-2010, 08:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:21:42 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
wrote:

On Sep 16, 11:15*am, notbob wrote:
I made Emeril's Cajun Jambalaya, last night.

http://tinyurl.com/5excp5

Pretty dang good for an FN recipe. *Only one problem, OLD rice!

I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
does. *Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
Ick!

This was long grain white rice and was only about 8-9 mos old. *What's
the shelf life of most rices?

nb

Here's a good read on the shelf life of rice.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/shelf-life-of-rice.html

Pretty silly article: says "rice should be stored at 70 degrees F, in
cool, dry place."... 70F or cool, which one?
Old 16-09-2010, 08:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-09-16, Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 wrote:

after seven years... was perfectly good all those years.

Maybe it was jes crappy rice. shrug

nb
Old 16-09-2010, 08:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
On Sep 16, 11:15*am, notbob wrote:
I made Emeril's Cajun Jambalaya, last night.

http://tinyurl.com/5excp5

Pretty dang good for an FN recipe. *Only one problem, OLD rice!

I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
does. *Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
Ick!

This was long grain white rice and was only about 8-9 mos old. *What's
the shelf life of most rices?

nb

Here's a good read on the shelf life of rice.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/shelf-life-of-rice.html

Pretty silly article: says "rice should be stored at 70 degrees F, in
cool, dry place."... 70F or cool, which one?

I think you're probably the only one that doesn't "get it". L
Old 16-09-2010, 09:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-09-16, Omelet wrote:

Or something that weevils got in to!

Indian basmati comes complete with weevils already included!

nb
Old 16-09-2010, 09:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 16, 2:15*pm, notbob wrote:
I made Emeril's Cajun Jambalaya, last night.

http://tinyurl.com/5excp5

Pretty dang good for an FN recipe. *Only one problem, OLD rice!

I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
does. *Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
Ick!

This was long grain white rice and was only about 8-9 mos old. *What's
the shelf life of most rices?

nb

Gee, have never run into that problem. Was it Uncle Ben type pre-
cooked or sumthin?
Old 16-09-2010, 10:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:57:02 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article , Brooklyn1
wrote:

Here's a good read on the shelf life of rice.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/shelf-life-of-rice.html

Pretty silly article: says "rice should be stored at 70 degrees F, in
cool, dry place."... 70F or cool, which one?

I don't go thru much rice either, so I freeze it, especially since I use
only brown, red and black rice. Gave up white rice a long time ago.

I store rice (and beans) in my chest freezer.

Brown rice can go rancid so freezing is a good thing (I don't know
about red/black rice). Beans can be damaged from freezing. Properly
stored beans can keep indefinitely... beans are seeds, if they
germinate they are good to eat... packagers of late print use-by dates
because they've come to realize how poorly folks (including
storekeepers) store beans. If you live in a hot and/or humid clime
and don't maintain good air contioning then beans will spoil rather
rapidly. There are many types of white rice that I sometimes buy in
small quantities; basmati, jasmine, arborio, etc. I detest brown rice
and I'm certainly not going to eat it for what miniscule nutrition it
contains, there are far more nutritious substitutes... I don't eat a
lot of rice because mostly I eat kasha.
Old 16-09-2010, 10:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-09-16, Omelet wrote:

Or something that weevils got in to!

Indian basmati comes complete with weevils already included!

nb

Store the rice in the freezer and that will keep the weevils from going
anywhere; then, when you cook it, you have protien-enriched rice. 8-)

Actually not, not if properly washed prior to cooking. Weevils are
nothing, Indian basmati is not sanitary, nothing from India is
sanitary. All rice imported into the US must be washed well, at least
eight full changes of water.
Old 16-09-2010, 11:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message
I made Emeril's Cajun Jambalaya, last night.

http://tinyurl.com/5excp5

Pretty dang good for an FN recipe. Only one problem, OLD rice!

I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
does. Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
Ick!

This was long grain white rice and was only about 8-9 mos old. What's
the shelf life of most rices?

Interesting. We don't eat rice all that often so I have found some expired
rice in the cupboard. I didn't try to cook it. Just threw it out. Now I
usually buy it in a plastic jug. It seems to have a further out expiration
date than the plastic bags.

Old 17-09-2010, 12:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2010 5:23 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

On 2010-09-16, wrote:

Or something that weevils got in to!

Indian basmati comes complete with weevils already included!

nb

Store the rice in the freezer and that will keep the weevils from going
anywhere; then, when you cook it, you have protien-enriched rice. 8-)

Actually not, not if properly washed prior to cooking. Weevils are
nothing, Indian basmati is not sanitary, nothing from India is
sanitary. All rice imported into the US must be washed well, at least
eight full changes of water.

Geezus H. Keerist. You cook it by boiling. "Sanitary" is irrele--oh,
wait, you're Brooklyn. plonk

Old 17-09-2010, 12:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2010 9:31 AM, l, not -l wrote:
On 16-Sep-2010, wrote:

I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
does. Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
Ick!

According to the Utah State University Cooperative Extension website
(http://extension.usu.edu/foodstorage/htm/white-rice):
"Shelf life. When properly sealed and stored, polished white rice will store
well for 25 to 30 years."

What you describe happening seems more likely in parboiled rice or instant
rice than plain old polished rice.

I went to a Mexican restaurant and the rice they served was that
converted stuff. The restaurant was supposed to be a pretty good one so
my question is whether Uncle Ben's rice is the norm for Mexican cooking
or was this just a lousy restaurant that didn't mind taking shortcuts?
Old 17-09-2010, 12:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:57:45 -0500:

On 16-Sep-2010, notbob wrote:

I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going
bad, but it does. Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go
rancid, rice gets old and porous, making the cooked product
crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel. Ick!

According to the Utah State University Cooperative Extension
website (http://extension.usu.edu/foodstorage/htm/white-rice)
: "Shelf life. When properly sealed and stored, polished
white rice will store well for 25 to 30 years."

What you describe happening seems more likely in parboiled
rice or instant rice than plain old polished rice.

Or something that weevils got in to!

Why does Bismati rice smell like mice when it is cooking? I have worked
with mice and the resemblence is obvious.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland