FoodBanter.com

-   -   Old rice (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/400610-old-rice.html)

notbob 16-09-2010 07:15 PM

Old rice

I made Emeril's Cajun Jambalaya, last night.

http://tinyurl.com/5excp5

Pretty dang good for an FN recipe. Only one problem, OLD rice!

I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
does. Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
Ick!

This was long grain white rice and was only about 8-9 mos old. What's
the shelf life of most rices?

nb

Chemo the Clown 16-09-2010 07:21 PM

Old rice

On Sep 16, 11:15*am, notbob > wrote:
> I made Emeril's Cajun Jambalaya, last night.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5excp5
>
> Pretty dang good for an FN recipe. *Only one problem, OLD rice!
>
> I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
> does. *Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
> porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
> Ick!
>
> This was long grain white rice and was only about 8-9 mos old. *What's
> the shelf life of most rices?
>
> nb

Here's a good read on the shelf life of rice.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/shelf-life-of-rice.html

Brooklyn1 16-09-2010 07:55 PM

Old rice

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:15:13 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I made Emeril's Cajun Jambalaya, last night.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/5excp5
>
>Pretty dang good for an FN recipe. Only one problem, OLD rice!
>
>I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
>does. Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
>porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
>Ick!
>
>This was long grain white rice and was only about 8-9 mos old. What's
>the shelf life of most rices?
>
>nb

I just this week bought a five pound bag of ordinary store brand
(Walmart) white rice to replace the last bag that was just used up
after seven years... was perfectly good all those years. I don't use
much rice, less than a pound a year. I've never had raw white rice go
bad... cooked is a whole nother story (forgotten for weeks in the
fridge), however birds ate it. I store my rice in air tight gallon
glass jars... my house is kept climate controled; temperature 68F-70ºF
and humidity 35%-40% all year.

Brooklyn1 16-09-2010 08:00 PM

Old rice

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:21:42 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On Sep 16, 11:15*am, notbob > wrote:
>> I made Emeril's Cajun Jambalaya, last night.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/5excp5
>>
>> Pretty dang good for an FN recipe. *Only one problem, OLD rice!
>>
>> I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
>> does. *Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
>> porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
>> Ick!
>>
>> This was long grain white rice and was only about 8-9 mos old. *What's
>> the shelf life of most rices?
>>
>> nb

>Here's a good read on the shelf life of rice.
>http://www.buzzle.com/articles/shelf-life-of-rice.html

Pretty silly article: says "rice should be stored at 70 degrees F, in
cool, dry place."... 70ºF or cool, which one?

notbob 16-09-2010 08:24 PM

Old rice

On 2010-09-16, Brooklyn1 <Brooklyn1> wrote:

> after seven years... was perfectly good all those years.

Maybe it was jes crappy rice. <shrug>

nb

Chemo the Clown 16-09-2010 08:34 PM

Old rice

On Sep 16, 12:00*pm, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:21:42 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
>

> > wrote:
> >On Sep 16, 11:15*am, notbob > wrote:
> >> I made Emeril's Cajun Jambalaya, last night.

> >>http://tinyurl.com/5excp5

> >> Pretty dang good for an FN recipe. *Only one problem, OLD rice!

> >> I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
> >> does. *Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
> >> porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
> >> Ick!

> >> This was long grain white rice and was only about 8-9 mos old. *What's
> >> the shelf life of most rices?

> >> nb

> >Here's a good read on the shelf life of rice.
> >http://www.buzzle.com/articles/shelf-life-of-rice.html

> Pretty silly article: says "rice should be stored at 70 degrees F, in
> cool, dry place."... 70ºF or cool, which one?

I think you're probably the only one that doesn't "get it". L

notbob 16-09-2010 09:02 PM

Old rice

On 2010-09-16, Omelet > wrote:

> Or something that weevils got in to!

Indian basmati comes complete with weevils already included! ;)

nb

Kalmia 16-09-2010 09:13 PM

Old rice

On Sep 16, 2:15*pm, notbob > wrote:
> I made Emeril's Cajun Jambalaya, last night.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5excp5
>
> Pretty dang good for an FN recipe. *Only one problem, OLD rice!
>
> I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
> does. *Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
> porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
> Ick!
>
> This was long grain white rice and was only about 8-9 mos old. *What's
> the shelf life of most rices?
>
> nb

Gee, have never run into that problem. Was it Uncle Ben type pre-
cooked or sumthin?

[email protected] 16-09-2010 10:09 PM

Old rice

And then there's aged basmati rice to consider.

-- Larry

Brooklyn1 16-09-2010 10:16 PM

Old rice

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:57:02 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >, Brooklyn1
>wrote:
>
>> >Here's a good read on the shelf life of rice.
>> >http://www.buzzle.com/articles/shelf-life-of-rice.html

>> Pretty silly article: says "rice should be stored at 70 degrees F, in
>> cool, dry place."... 70ºF or cool, which one?

>I don't go thru much rice either, so I freeze it, especially since I use
>only brown, red and black rice. Gave up white rice a long time ago.
>
>I store rice (and beans) in my chest freezer.

Brown rice can go rancid so freezing is a good thing (I don't know
about red/black rice). Beans can be damaged from freezing. Properly
stored beans can keep indefinitely... beans are seeds, if they
germinate they are good to eat... packagers of late print use-by dates
because they've come to realize how poorly folks (including
storekeepers) store beans. If you live in a hot and/or humid clime
and don't maintain good air contioning then beans will spoil rather
rapidly. There are many types of white rice that I sometimes buy in
small quantities; basmati, jasmine, arborio, etc. I detest brown rice
and I'm certainly not going to eat it for what miniscule nutrition it
contains, there are far more nutritious substitutes... I don't eat a
lot of rice because mostly I eat kasha.

Brooklyn1 16-09-2010 10:23 PM

Old rice

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:46:14 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 16-Sep-2010, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2010-09-16, Omelet > wrote:
>>
>> > Or something that weevils got in to!

>> Indian basmati comes complete with weevils already included! ;)
>>
>> nb

>Store the rice in the freezer and that will keep the weevils from going
>anywhere; then, when you cook it, you have protien-enriched rice. 8-)

Actually not, not if properly washed prior to cooking. Weevils are
nothing, Indian basmati is not sanitary, nothing from India is
sanitary. All rice imported into the US must be washed well, at least
eight full changes of water.

Julie Bove[_2_] 16-09-2010 11:14 PM

Old rice

"notbob" > wrote in message
>I made Emeril's Cajun Jambalaya, last night.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5excp5
>
> Pretty dang good for an FN recipe. Only one problem, OLD rice!
>
> I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
> does. Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
> porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
> Ick!
>
> This was long grain white rice and was only about 8-9 mos old. What's
> the shelf life of most rices?

Interesting. We don't eat rice all that often so I have found some expired
rice in the cupboard. I didn't try to cook it. Just threw it out. Now I
usually buy it in a plastic jug. It seems to have a further out expiration
date than the plastic bags.

J. Clarke 17-09-2010 12:07 AM

Old rice

On 9/16/2010 5:23 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:46:14 GMT, "l, not > wrote:

>>> Indian basmati comes complete with weevils already included! ;)
>>>
>>> nb

>> Store the rice in the freezer and that will keep the weevils from going
>> anywhere; then, when you cook it, you have protien-enriched rice. 8-)

> Actually not, not if properly washed prior to cooking. Weevils are
> nothing, Indian basmati is not sanitary, nothing from India is
> sanitary. All rice imported into the US must be washed well, at least
> eight full changes of water.

Geezus H. Keerist. You cook it by boiling. "Sanitary" is irrele--oh,
wait, you're Brooklyn. <plonk>

dsi1[_2_] 17-09-2010 12:46 AM

Old rice

On 9/16/2010 9:31 AM, l, not -l wrote:
> On 16-Sep-2010, > wrote:
>
>> I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
>> does. Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
>> porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
>> Ick!

> According to the Utah State University Cooperative Extension website
> (http://extension.usu.edu/foodstorage/htm/white-rice):
> "Shelf life. When properly sealed and stored, polished white rice will store
> well for 25 to 30 years."
>
> What you describe happening seems more likely in parboiled rice or instant
> rice than plain old polished rice.

I went to a Mexican restaurant and the rice they served was that
converted stuff. The restaurant was supposed to be a pretty good one so
my question is whether Uncle Ben's rice is the norm for Mexican cooking
or was this just a lousy restaurant that didn't mind taking shortcuts?

James Silverton[_4_] 17-09-2010 12:48 AM

Old rice

Omelet wrote on Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:57:45 -0500:

>> On 16-Sep-2010, notbob > wrote:
>>
> >> I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going
> >> bad, but it does. Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go
> >> rancid, rice gets old and porous, making the cooked product
> >> crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel. Ick!

>> According to the Utah State University Cooperative Extension
>> website (http://extension.usu.edu/foodstorage/htm/white-rice)
>> : "Shelf life. When properly sealed and stored, polished
>> white rice will store well for 25 to 30 years."
>>
>> What you describe happening seems more likely in parboiled
>> rice or instant rice than plain old polished rice.

> Or something that weevils got in to!

Why does Bismati rice smell like mice when it is cooking? I have worked
with mice and the resemblence is obvious.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

aem 17-09-2010 12:54 AM

Old rice

On Sep 16, 4:46 pm, dsi1 > wrote:

> I went to a Mexican restaurant and the rice they served was that
> converted stuff. The restaurant was supposed to be a pretty good one so
> my question is whether Uncle Ben's rice is the norm for Mexican cooking
> or was this just a lousy restaurant that didn't mind taking shortcuts?

We've eaten at thousands of Mexican restaurant and confidently say
that converted rice is definitely NOT the norm. Judging by that alone
it was a lousy restaurant.

As to this thread, I am astonished at how long people say they can go
without rice. A 25-lb. bag lasts us only a few months. -aem

Aussie 17-09-2010 01:24 AM

Old rice

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:i6uabm$43k
:

> Omelet wrote on Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:57:45 -0500:

>>> According to the Utah State University Cooperative Extension
>>> website (http://extension.usu.edu/foodstorage/htm/white-rice)
>>> : "Shelf life. When properly sealed and stored, polished
>>> white rice will store well for 25 to 30 years."
>>>
>>> What you describe happening seems more likely in parboiled
>>> rice or instant rice than plain old polished rice.

>> Or something that weevils got in to!

> Why does Bismati rice smell like mice when it is cooking? I have worked
> with mice and the resemblence is obvious.

Did you rinse it before cooking?

I cook mine in a microwave rice cooker, and it's *never* smelt like mice!!

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.

dsi1[_2_] 17-09-2010 01:32 AM

Old rice

On 9/16/2010 1:54 PM, aem wrote:
> On Sep 16, 4:46 pm, > wrote:
>>
>> I went to a Mexican restaurant and the rice they served was that
>> converted stuff. The restaurant was supposed to be a pretty good one so
>> my question is whether Uncle Ben's rice is the norm for Mexican cooking
>> or was this just a lousy restaurant that didn't mind taking shortcuts?

> We've eaten at thousands of Mexican restaurant and confidently say
> that converted rice is definitely NOT the norm. Judging by that alone
> it was a lousy restaurant.

Thanks for the info. I think it's pretty kooky myself.

> As to this thread, I am astonished at how long people say they can go
> without rice. A 25-lb. bag lasts us only a few months. -aem

Most people don't make rice everyday, unless they're Asian. My guess is
that most people don't own an electric rice cooker either.

dsi1[_2_] 17-09-2010 03:34 AM

Old rice

On 9/16/2010 3:23 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:

>>> We've eaten at thousands of Mexican restaurant and confidently say
>>> that converted rice is definitely NOT the norm. Judging by that alone
>>> it was a lousy restaurant.

>> Thanks for the info. I think it's pretty kooky myself.
>>

>>> As to this thread, I am astonished at how long people say they can go
>>> without rice. A 25-lb. bag lasts us only a few months. -aem

>> Most people don't make rice everyday, unless they're Asian. My guess is
>> that most people don't own an electric rice cooker either.

> I use the pressure cooker. Foolproof.

I have never heard of this. How is that done? The only rice I ever cook
is the short grain calrose stuff. Can this be pressure cooked?

J. Clarke 17-09-2010 05:22 AM

Old rice

On 9/16/2010 7:48 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> Omelet wrote on Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:57:45 -0500:

>>> According to the Utah State University Cooperative Extension
>>> website (http://extension.usu.edu/foodstorage/htm/white-rice)
>>> : "Shelf life. When properly sealed and stored, polished
>>> white rice will store well for 25 to 30 years."
>>>
>>> What you describe happening seems more likely in parboiled
>>> rice or instant rice than plain old polished rice.

>> Or something that weevils got in to!

> Why does Bismati rice smell like mice when it is cooking? I have worked
> with mice and the resemblence is obvious.

I never knew mice smelled like popcorn. Learn something every day.

Barley Farley 17-09-2010 05:54 AM

Old rice

"Aussie" > wrote in message
> "James Silverton" > wrote in news:i6uabm$43k
> :

>>> Or something that weevils got in to!

>> Why does Bismati rice smell like mice when it is cooking? I have worked
>> with mice and the resemblence is obvious.

> Did you rinse it before cooking?
>
> I cook mine in a microwave rice cooker, and it's *never* smelt like mice!!

That's because nothing gets over the stench of your ass.

--
Bar

Julie Bove[_2_] 17-09-2010 07:21 AM

Old rice

"aem" > wrote in message
> On Sep 16, 4:46 pm, dsi1 > wrote:
>>
>> I went to a Mexican restaurant and the rice they served was that
>> converted stuff. The restaurant was supposed to be a pretty good one so
>> my question is whether Uncle Ben's rice is the norm for Mexican cooking
>> or was this just a lousy restaurant that didn't mind taking shortcuts?

> We've eaten at thousands of Mexican restaurant and confidently say
> that converted rice is definitely NOT the norm. Judging by that alone
> it was a lousy restaurant.
>
> As to this thread, I am astonished at how long people say they can go
> without rice. A 25-lb. bag lasts us only a few months. -aem

I used to eat a ton of it. When I was living my myself, I would buy a 5
pound bag and it didn't last long.

Now I have diabetes and have to watch the carbs. When I do make rice, I
usually a a lot of stuff to it.

James Silverton[_4_] 17-09-2010 02:11 PM

Old rice

Aussie wrote on Fri, 17 Sep 2010 00:24:54 GMT:

>>> Or something that weevils got in to!

>> Why does Bismati rice smell like mice when it is cooking? I
>> have worked with mice and the resemblence is obvious.

> Did you rinse it before cooking?

> I cook mine in a microwave rice cooker, and it's *never* smelt
> like mice!!

I don't think it should be necessary to rinse rice before cooking and I
have used a Japanese rice cooker for 30 years.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Gorio 17-09-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Silverton[_4_] (Post 1529471)

On 16-Sep-2010, notbob wrote:

I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going
bad, but it does. Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go
rancid, rice gets old and porous, making the cooked
product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel. Ick!
According to the Utah State University Cooperative
Extension website
(
white rice - Food Storage - extension.usu.edu) :
"Shelf life. When properly sealed and stored,
polished white rice will store well for 25 to 30 years."

What you describe happening seems more likely in parboiled
rice or instant rice than plain old polished rice.

Or something that weevils got in to!

Why does Bismati rice smell like mice when it is cooking? I
have worked with mice and the resemblence is obvious.

Did you rinse it before cooking?

I cook mine in a microwave rice cooker, and it's *never* smelt
like mice!!

I don't think it should be necessary to rinse rice before cooking and I
have used a Japanese rice cooker for 30 years.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

I've been cooking rice for as long as I've been cooking. Never rinsed it and it has turned out perfectly most times. I have screwed up, though, a few times. Never has an age issue, either.

notbob 17-09-2010 05:07 PM

Old rice

On 2010-09-17, Omelet > wrote:

> The world needs more cats in the right places.

....and less cats in others.

nb

dsi1[_9_] 17-09-2010 06:46 PM

Old rice

On 9/17/2010 3:11 AM, James Silverton wrote:

> I don't think it should be necessary to rinse rice before cooking and I
> have used a Japanese rice cooker for 30 years.

You're right about this. They say you don't have to wash the rice coated
with glucose (!) instead of talc but I never could bring myself to not
wash my rice. It's a cultural difference, I think.

J. Clarke 17-09-2010 07:03 PM

Old rice

On 9/17/2010 9:11 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> Aussie wrote on Fri, 17 Sep 2010 00:24:54 GMT:

>>> Why does Bismati rice smell like mice when it is cooking? I
>>> have worked with mice and the resemblence is obvious.

>> Did you rinse it before cooking?

>> I cook mine in a microwave rice cooker, and it's *never* smelt
>> like mice!!

> I don't think it should be necessary to rinse rice before cooking and I
> have used a Japanese rice cooker for 30 years.

The reason to rinse before cooking is to remove the excess starchy
powder residue from milling, which makes the rice sticky. If sticky is
what you're going for you don't need to rinse, if you're going for a
loose texture and separated grains then rinsing will help get you there.

dsi1[_9_] 17-09-2010 07:28 PM

Old rice

On 9/17/2010 8:01 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 9/16/2010 3:23 PM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> I use the pressure cooker. Foolproof.

>> I have never heard of this. How is that done? The only rice I ever cook
>> is the short grain calrose stuff. Can this be pressure cooked?

> I guess you could try... Add 2 and 1/4 cups meat stock to 1 cup dry
> rice (increasing the amount as needed in the same proportions) and bring
> up to pressure. Pressure for 20 minutes for white or brown rice, 30Tha
> minutes for mixes, or just the red or black. Remove cooker from heat
> and quick cool under cold running water in the sink.
>
> Stir well and serve.
>
> I alternate using shrimp stock, beef stock, chicken stock, or whatever I
> had on hand at the moment...
>
> A good rich vegetable stock or mixed works fine too.
>
> <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...A?feat=directl
> ink>
>
> Yes I know most steamed rice recipes use about the same timing, but I
> guess I just don't have "the touch". Steaming rice on the stove has
> never worked for me. The PC does so I don't even try other methods any
> more!
>
> Might be because I refuse to use plain water for cooking rice?<shrugs>

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty unimaginative when it comes to rice, I
just make plain old white rice - every single day.

Brooklyn1 17-09-2010 07:50 PM

Old rice

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 07:46:32 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>On 9/17/2010 3:11 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> I don't think it should be necessary to rinse rice before cooking and I
>> have used a Japanese rice cooker for 30 years.
>>

>You're right about this. They say you don't have to wash the rice coated
>with glucose (!) instead of talc but I never could bring myself to not
>wash my rice. It's a cultural difference, I think.

They say, who's they...

Fortified/enriched rice shouldn't be washed or the added nutrition
will be removed. ALL rice imported into the US must be well washed to
remove the raw sewage. Talc han't been used on import rice in the US
for many years.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/02/08/us...led-peril.html

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/food...=14&submit.y=7

Brooklyn1 17-09-2010 08:00 PM

Old rice

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 12:50:34 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:57:02 -0500, Omelet >
>> wrote:

>> >I don't go thru much rice either, so I freeze it, especially since I use
>> >only brown, red and black rice. Gave up white rice a long time ago.
>> >
>> >I store rice (and beans) in my chest freezer.

>> Brown rice can go rancid so freezing is a good thing (I don't know
>> about red/black rice). Beans can be damaged from freezing. Properly
>> stored beans can keep indefinitely... beans are seeds, if they
>> germinate they are good to eat... packagers of late print use-by dates
>> because they've come to realize how poorly folks (including
>> storekeepers) store beans. If you live in a hot and/or humid clime
>> and don't maintain good air contioning then beans will spoil rather
>> rapidly. There are many types of white rice that I sometimes buy in
>> small quantities; basmati, jasmine, arborio, etc. I detest brown rice
>> and I'm certainly not going to eat it for what miniscule nutrition it
>> contains, there are far more nutritious substitutes... I don't eat a
>> lot of rice because mostly I eat kasha.

>Oh Shel', there are a nice variety of rices. :-) Some of the red and
>black rices are really interesting for flavor and texture.
>
>As for freezing beans, I just don't eat a lot of legumes... <shrugs>
>Why would freezing them ruin them?

Beans are warehoused by maintaining them at ~7% moisture content.
Beans stored improperly, as most are, will contain even more moisture.
When beans are frozen the moisture expands and bursts the hull and
alters the consistancy of the beans in a negative manner... whereas
the insides will cook much more rapidly than the skins, fine if you
enjoy eating toenail clippings.

Store your beans in cool dry place, preferably in sealed glass jars.

Brooklyn1 17-09-2010 08:17 PM

Old rice

"J. Clarke" > wrote:

>The reason to rinse before cooking is to remove the excess starchy
>powder residue from milling, which makes the rice sticky.

Not true. The only reason to wash rice is to remove shit, literallly.

Sticky rice will cook up sticky regardless.

dsi1[_2_] 17-09-2010 09:09 PM

Old rice

On 9/17/2010 8:50 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 07:46:32 -1000, > wrote:
>
>> On 9/17/2010 3:11 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think it should be necessary to rinse rice before cooking and I
>>> have used a Japanese rice cooker for 30 years.
>>>

>> You're right about this. They say you don't have to wash the rice coated
>> with glucose (!) instead of talc but I never could bring myself to not
>> wash my rice. It's a cultural difference, I think.

> They say, who's they...
>
> Fortified/enriched rice shouldn't be washed or the added nutrition
> will be removed. ALL rice imported into the US must be well washed to
> remove the raw sewage. Talc han't been used on import rice in the US
> for many years.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/1981/02/08/us...led-peril.html
>
> http://www.epicurious.com/tools/food...=14&submit.y=7

All you say may be true. My point was that I doubt that most Asian cooks
of my generation or older will be able to bring themselves to cook
unwashed rice. It's a cultural difference, I think.

James Silverton[_4_] 17-09-2010 10:12 PM

Old rice

J. wrote on Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:03:38 -0400:

>>> Did you rinse it before cooking?

>>> I cook mine in a microwave rice cooker, and it's *never*
>>> smelt like mice!!

>> I don't think it should be necessary to rinse rice before
>> cooking and I have used a Japanese rice cooker for 30 years.

I've found the unwashed rice, cooked in a Japanese cooker, is perfectly
satisfactory.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

notbob 18-09-2010 02:20 AM

Old rice

On 2010-09-17, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >, dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> > Might be because I refuse to use plain water for cooking rice?<shrugs>

>> Thanks for the info. I'm pretty unimaginative when it comes to rice, I
>> just make plain old white rice - every single day.

> Give it a shot and report back. :-)

On what? Rice made with some other kinda water? Cranberry juice?
I'd suggest dead animal broth, but then I'm a barbarian.

nb

notbob 18-09-2010 04:38 AM

Old rice

On 2010-09-18, Omelet > wrote:

> Works for me... <g>

Well, let's face it, Om. You're the barbarian girl in this group. ;)

nb

notbob 18-09-2010 05:07 AM

Old rice

On 2010-09-18, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:

>> Well, let's face it, Om. You're the barbarian girl in this group. ;)

><bows>
>
> Thank you! ;-)

My pleasure. ;)

nb