Recipe: coffee flavored pancakes

Old 23-08-2010, 09:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe: coffee flavored pancakes

Kalmia wrote:

I have had a jar of espresso powder around here
since The Flood, and want to use it up.

Coffee gelatin
Coffee tapioca
Coffee cake icing
Mocha cake icing
Mocha cake or brownies with coffee icing
Homemake Kahlua
Coffee ice cream

It wouldn't last long in my house.

gloria p
Old 23-08-2010, 10:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria wrote:

I have had a jar of espresso powder around here
since The Flood, and want to use it up.

Coffee gelatin
Coffee tapioca
Coffee cake icing
Mocha cake icing
Mocha cake or brownies with coffee icing
Homemake Kahlua
Coffee ice cream

It wouldn't last long in my house.

I rarely use espresso powder, but the last thing I made with it was a
scrumptious espresso-cardamom panna cotta.

Bob

Old 23-08-2010, 10:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
Gloria wrote:

I have had a jar of espresso powder around here
since The Flood, and want to use it up.

Coffee gelatin
Coffee tapioca
Coffee cake icing
Mocha cake icing
Mocha cake or brownies with coffee icing
Homemake Kahlua
Coffee ice cream

It wouldn't last long in my house.

I rarely use espresso powder, but the last thing I made with it was a
scrumptious espresso-cardamom panna cotta.

Bob

Mmmmm. And how could I have forgotten tiramisu?

gloria p
Old 24-08-2010, 12:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
Jean B. wrote:

How 'bout coffee-hazelnut pancakes? OMG! Now I am thinking of coffee
pancakes with Nutella. I'd better banish that thought immediately.

Ohhh....... That's very evil.

Thing is, if you have coffee in the pancakes, what do you drink with them? I
like a glass of milk at breakfast, but it seems to be a fairly uncommon
practice. Orange juice might be a bit sharply acidic with the pancakes.
Maybe an Orange Julius-like concoction?

Bob

That sounds perfect, since orange goes nicely with hazelnut and
chocolate, although I agree it shouldn't be in orange juice form.

--
Jean B.
Old 24-08-2010, 12:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan Simmons" wrote in message
On Aug 22, 12:27 pm, Roy wrote:
On Aug 22, 11:16 am, "Kent" wrote:

I have pancakes every morning, and ongoing I'm trying to find new ways
prepare them. This emerged from cortex in the middle of the night.

Pancake Mix with Coffee
1. pancake mix of your choice
2. add 2/3 - 3/4 strong coffee, or your usual morning coffee, instead of
water
3 add1/3 - 1/4 2% milk
4. sugar - Sugar, Splenda, or brown sugar, depending on size, and how
you
metabolize sugar.
5. cook as per your usual

Tastes much better than you would think, the coffee taste is muted,
somewhat like Thai Iced Coffee, though obviously in a pancake

Kent

==
What's next...garlic or oregano pancakes? Seems to me that you are
stretching things a bit in order to gain attention.
==

Really, the "pancake mix of your choice" part, as if any decent
pancake mix wouldn't call for fresh eggs--or at least yolks--and
either oil or butter, makes it obviously bullshit. This "Kent" never
made such a thing. If this were a serious person, who actually cooked
then the only explanation for the sub of coffee for water, is that he
was using "just add water" pancake mix. Such mixes are garbage, and
produce pancakes most suitable for feeding pigs.

--Bryan

I was using the Krusteaz "just add water" buttermilk pancake mix, along with
the millions of is that use that and similar. The coffee and milk, or cream
replaces the water or aqueous part of the dish. I had it again today, and I
really like it. It's a good and easy and different.

No eggs for me,

Kent

Old 24-08-2010, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" wrote in message

[...]

Let's hear it for Krusteaz, all right. I really like their buttermilk mix,
too. Oink.

Felice

Old 24-08-2010, 06:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:26:00 -0700, "Kent" wrote:

No eggs for me,

Why?

Cheers, Alan,

There is about 200mg of cholesterol in one egg yolk. That's approximately,
depending on who you're listening to this minute, your daily dietary
cholesterol maximum. I want some meat for lunch and dinner.

Kent

Old 24-08-2010, 07:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 11:52*pm, "Kent" wrote:
"Alan S" wrote in message

... On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:26:00 -0700, "Kent" wrote:

No eggs for me,

Why?

Cheers, Alan,

There is about 200mg of cholesterol in one egg yolk. That's approximately,
depending on who you're listening to this minute, your daily dietary
cholesterol maximum. I want some meat for lunch and dinner.

Kent

==
The cholesterol in eggs is good cholesterol...please read up on this.
At one time it was regarded as harmful but not anymore.
==
Old 24-08-2010, 10:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:22:46 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:

Jean B. wrote:

How 'bout coffee-hazelnut pancakes? OMG! Now I am thinking of coffee
pancakes with Nutella. I'd better banish that thought immediately.

Ohhh....... That's very evil.

Thing is, if you have coffee in the pancakes, what do you drink with them? I
like a glass of milk at breakfast, but it seems to be a fairly uncommon
practice. Orange juice might be a bit sharply acidic with the pancakes.
Maybe an Orange Julius-like concoction?

How about a Chai Latte? I reckon it'd go well with coffee pancakes, or
pancakes in general.

Chai Tea Ingredients:

Black Tea 10 teaspoons (25grams)(I prefer using Formosan Tea)
Cardamon Seeds (5 grams)
Cinnamon Sticks (2-3 sticks) or
Cinnamon Ground 2 1/2 teaspoons (8 grams)
Ginger Powder (1 teaspoon)
1 Clove Ground
How to Make Chai Tea:

Please note there are many ways to make Chai Tea and this is one which
I prefer. Listed below are other tips and variations you can try.

Step 1: Using a coffee/spice grinder or mortar and pestle, grind up
spices.

Step 2: Add tea to spice mixture. Fill tea pot or coffee plunger with
boiling water and add spice mixture. Use 3/4 cup boiling water and 4
teaspoons of tea/spice mixture per serve. Let stand 3-4 minutes. Heat
milk using stove top, microwave or even better use a coffee machine so
you can produce frothy milk. This gives a cafe style chai tea latte.
Add heated milk and sweeten to taste.

Tips and Hints for making Chai Tea:

* If you don't have a grinder, you can use a mortar and pestle,
however you should grind the ingredients seperately to avoid mix
becoming too fine.
* This recipe is unsweetened so you can add sugar to suit your
taste.

Sauce: www.chailatterecipes.com

I tried one for the first time last week, and I was pretty impressed
(although not sure the recipe was exactly the same). Makes a great
alternative to coffee... just as long as you don't need the big
caffeine boost of course.

Old 24-08-2010, 10:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 23:23:37 -0700 (PDT), Roy
wrote:

On Aug 23, 11:52*pm, "Kent" wrote:
"Alan S" wrote in message

... On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:26:00 -0700, "Kent" wrote:

No eggs for me,

Why?

There is about 200mg of cholesterol in one egg yolk. That's approximately,
depending on who you're listening to this minute, your daily dietary
cholesterol maximum. I want some meat for lunch and dinner.

==
The cholesterol in eggs is good cholesterol...please read up on this.
At one time it was regarded as harmful but not anymore.

Eggsactly. Doubly so for organic/genuinely free range eggs not
produced from grain.
Old 24-08-2010, 03:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:
"Alan S" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:26:00 -0700, "Kent" wrote:

No eggs for me,

Why?

Cheers, Alan,

There is about 200mg of cholesterol in one egg yolk. That's approximately,
depending on who you're listening to this minute, your daily dietary
cholesterol maximum. I want some meat for lunch and dinner.

Kent

I suppose one shouldn't point out that there is no link between
cholesterol in one's diet and serum cholesterol....

--
Jean B.
Old 24-08-2010, 03:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean wrote on Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:05:44 -0400:

wrote:

No eggs for me,
Why?

Cheers, Alan,

There is about 200mg of cholesterol in one egg yolk. That's
approximately, depending on who you're listening to this
minute, your daily dietary cholesterol maximum. I want some
meat for lunch and dinner.

Kent

I suppose one shouldn't point out that there is no link
between cholesterol in one's diet and serum cholesterol....

Yes, it has recently been acknowledged that there little (but not no)
correlation between dietary and blood cholesterol. Cardiologists have
now reached the stage of allowing eating whole eggs "in moderation" (the
usual cop-out for inaccurate advice for the past 20 years or so), damn
them!
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 24-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Member

I dont think I would enjoy coffee flavored pancakes...
Old 25-08-2010, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 12:31:20 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:

Billy replied:

==
What's next...garlic or oregano pancakes? Seems to me that you are
stretching things a bit in order to gain attention.
==

Why criticize? If he tried it and liked, that's fine with me. I don't
think it sounds like such a bad idea, truth be told.

Funny how new dishes are created....we try something different...an
interpertation of an old taste.

I personally add my maple syrup to the batter before cooking on the
griddle. I love the flavor that is "inside" the pancakes.

I don't think that pancakes require maple syrup in particular. I'll often
use one of the many jams, jellies, or preserves we've got in the pantry to
flavor individual pancakes. That way they're not all exactly the same boring
thing.

Yeah. Pancakes can be pretty boring. I don't think I'd care for
coffee in them. We just had blueberry pancakes for dinner with no
syrup. Just butter. Someone here mentioned zucchini pancakes so I
tried those using a 50/50 mix of regular flour and masa. When I flip
them I top with shredded cheddar and serve with sour cream. They're
delicious and savory. Pancakes with syrup is just too sweet for me to
have often.

Lou