Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Finnish Rhubarb Pie - made it this weekend

I think I posted this recipe before but I hadn't tried it yet.
Well, I made it this weekend. It's very good but there are a
few "problems" with the recipe. Comments later . . .

FINNISH RHUBARB PIE
(Raparperipiirakka)

Dough:
5 dl milk (~ 2 c.)
2 dl sugar (~ 3/4 c.)
50 g yeast (?)
200 g butter (~ 1 c.)
~1 kg flour (~9 c.)
1 egg
1 t. salt
1 T. cardamom

Filling:
5 dl sliced rhubarb (~ 2 c.)
2 dl cream (~ 3/4 c.)
2 dl quark (~ 3/4 c.)
1 dl sugar (~ 1/3 c.)
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla sugar

Dissolve the yeast into lukewarm milk in a mixing bowl. Add the sugar,
salt, cardamom, and egg and stir ingredients together. Add half of the
flour and knead into a soft dough. Mix soft butter into the dough and
add as much of the remaining flour as is needed. The dough is ready
when it no longer sticks to the bowl or to your fingers. Cover the
mixing bowl with a kitchen towel and prove in a warm place for
approximately 30 minutes. Pour the dough onto a floured baking board,
knead, and roll out with a rolling pin into a thin sheet (slightly
bigger than a baking tray). Place the sheet onto a baking tray covered
with a greaseproof paper. Trim the edges. (From the extra dough you
can form crosswise strips to decorate the top of the pie). Prove for 30
minutes. Place the rhubarb slices onto the sheet. Stir together the
sour cream, quark, sugar, vanilla sugar, and eggs in a mixing bowl and
pour the mixture over the rhubarbs. Raise the edges. Decorate the top
of the pie with crosswise stripes. Brush the dough with beaten egg.
Bake the pie at 175C-200C for approximately 30 minutes, until the crust
is golden brown. Serve the Rhubarb Pie cold with a cup of tea.

(Disclaimer - the conversions I used are *very* approximate. I did
not feel it necessary to use exact figures.) I used an 11"x14"x1/2"
baking tray (cookie sheet with sides or jelly roll pan, whatever you
call them). I started off by putting the warm milk into the bowl with
the sugar and then it dawned on me that that was a **lot** of milk. So
it took another gander at the recipe and saw how much flour it was and
I nearly passed out. ;-) Well, I thought it was **way** too much dough
but it was too late to go back and reduce it so I forged ahead with the
recipe as "written". This makes a huge amount of dough. Way more than
I needed for the pan I was using. I guess I could have taken some of it
and frozen it but I decided to try to use it all.

In making the dough I put in 4 c. of flour to start with. In the end
I only used about 6-7 c. of flour in total. The recipe says add more
flour until the dough does not stick to the bowl or your fingers. I
think that would be too much flour. My dough was still fairly sticky
when I quit adding flour. I let it rise and then turned it out to
knead it. After kneading with a little more flour it was just barely
sticky if it didn't have a light coating of flour on the
outside. I like the final texture a lot so I wouldn't make the dough
too dry. Also, about the yeast, I wasn't sure what kind of yeast yeast
they meant. Dry yeast is 7 g per package. I'm not sure what the weight
on fresh yeast is. But 50 g sounded like *way* too much yeast. I had
dry yeast on hand so I used 2 packages. That seemed to be plenty. The
dough rose very well and after baking is a lovely soft fluffy dough.

The amount of rhubarb, when I got to that part, seemed way too little
for the large "pie" I was making so I doubled it. That was the right
thing to do. Also, it just seemed wrong that there was no sugar on the
rhubarb itself and there wasn't all that much in the custard so I
thought it needed more sugar. I sprinkled about 1/3 c. more sugar over
the rhubarb before topping with the custard.

For the custard - I did not have easy access to quark so I subbed
cream cheese. That worked beautifully. I had a problem with the
custard topping being too much and trying to run off the "pie". I
tried pulling up the sides of the dough and that helped a little.
Then I took the extra dough which I cut in strips and laid them out
in a lattice pattern over the custard, sprinkled with sugar (I was
too lazy to make the egg wash recommended in the recipe)and baked.

It got a little "burnt" around the edges but my oven was probably too
hot. Still good though. I would definitely reduce the dough to about
2/3 or 3/4 of the original quantity.

Kate

--
Kate Connally