Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Condiments for an Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Last night I was thinking about Iowa pork tenderloin sandwiches. They're
usually served with mustard and pickles. Some Iowans put ketchup on them.
What would be better?

I'm thinking of just squeezing a lemon wedge over the pork. Or maybe putting
extra-lemony mayo on the sandwich. Katsu sauce would work, naturally. I've
got a recipe for peanut mayo which I think would be good in that
application. Raspberry mustard or apricot mustard might be nice, or a light
sprinkle of malt vinegar.

What else would be good on a chicken-fried pork sandwich? Would apple butter
work if it wasn't too sweet?

Pickles aside, do other toppings (e.g., lettuce, tomatoes, or onions) have a
place on an Iowa tenderloin sandwich? And if you *are* going to put pickles
on top, must they be pickled cucumbers?

I don't think there's any "right" answer; I'm just casting about for ideas.
Given the wide world of choices, what would you want on a chicken-fried
piece of pork inside a hamburger bun?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

>Last night I was thinking about Iowa pork tenderloin sandwiches.

(Do you always ideate about food?)

>They're
>usually served with mustard and pickles. Some Iowans put ketchup on them.
>What would be better?

>I'm thinking of just squeezing a lemon wedge over the pork. Or maybe putting
>extra-lemony mayo on the sandwich. Katsu sauce would work, naturally. I've
>got a recipe for peanut mayo which I think would be good in that
>application. Raspberry mustard or apricot mustard might be nice, or a light
>sprinkle of malt vinegar.

>What else would be good on a chicken-fried pork sandwich? Would apple butter
>work if it wasn't too sweet?

Just olive oil would work. Pork, bun, olive oil. A modicum of salt.

That, plus the lemon wedge would work too.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

>>Last night I was thinking about Iowa pork tenderloin sandwiches.

> (Do you always ideate about food?)

Among other things: In the last five or ten minutes, I've thought also
thought about the draw-down in Iraq (and its impact on my departure plans),
the formula for integration by parts, the Schliemann defense to the Ruy
Lopez, practical ways to measure data privacy in the computer cloud, the
weather here in Iraq and how it differs from what the weather must have been
like during the Sumerian civilization, Fields of the Nephilim, the idea of
cell-by-cell DNA scanning to treat cancers, whether the Second Amendment was
intended to keep the USA on the brink of forcible revolution, and whether
that Army PFC who allegedly posted all the classified stuff on WikiLeaks did
it because he was trying to impress a girl.

But the food-related stuff is pertinent to this newsgroup, so I decided to
post it here.

>> What else would be good on a chicken-fried pork sandwich?

> Just olive oil would work. Pork, bun, olive oil. A modicum of salt.
>
> That, plus the lemon wedge would work too.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. (I'm assuming you mean something which would
be termed a "finishing" oil.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Last night I was thinking about Iowa pork tenderloin sandwiches. They're
> usually served with mustard and pickles. Some Iowans put ketchup on them.
> What would be better?
>
> I'm thinking of just squeezing a lemon wedge over the pork. Or maybe
> putting extra-lemony mayo on the sandwich. Katsu sauce would work,
> naturally. I've got a recipe for peanut mayo which I think would be good
> in that application. Raspberry mustard or apricot mustard might be nice,
> or a light sprinkle of malt vinegar.
>
> What else would be good on a chicken-fried pork sandwich? Would apple
> butter work if it wasn't too sweet?
>
> Pickles aside, do other toppings (e.g., lettuce, tomatoes, or onions) have
> a place on an Iowa tenderloin sandwich? And if you *are* going to put
> pickles on top, must they be pickled cucumbers?
>
> I don't think there's any "right" answer; I'm just casting about for
> ideas. Given the wide world of choices, what would you want on a
> chicken-fried piece of pork inside a hamburger bun?
>
> Bob

Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Real mayonnaise, Spicy Mustard on a Kaiser roll.
Dill Pickle or spear served on the side.

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 31, 3:17*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Last night I was thinking about Iowa pork tenderloin sandwiches. They're
> usually served with mustard and pickles. Some Iowans put ketchup on them.
> What would be better?
>
> I'm thinking of just squeezing a lemon wedge over the pork. Or maybe putting
> extra-lemony mayo on the sandwich. Katsu sauce would work, naturally. I've
> got a recipe for peanut mayo which I think would be good in that
> application. Raspberry mustard or apricot mustard might be nice, or a light
> sprinkle of malt vinegar.
>
> What else would be good on a chicken-fried pork sandwich? Would apple butter
> work if it wasn't too sweet?
>
> Pickles aside, do other toppings (e.g., lettuce, tomatoes, or onions) have a
> place on an Iowa tenderloin sandwich? And if you *are* going to put pickles
> on top, must they be pickled cucumbers?
>
> I don't think there's any "right" answer; I'm just casting about for ideas.
> Given the wide world of choices, what would you want on a chicken-fried
> piece of pork inside a hamburger bun?

I don't think chicken fried pork needs bun or condiments. A nice
salad and a good American pale ale, maybe some French fries would be
good.

> Bob

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

>> I don't think there's any "right" answer; I'm just casting about for
>> ideas. Given the wide world of choices, what would you want on a
>> chicken-fried piece of pork inside a hamburger bun?

> I don't think chicken fried pork needs bun or condiments. A nice salad
> and a good American pale ale, maybe some French fries would be good.

Sure, it would be good...but it wouldn't be a SANDWICH! Anyway, I think I'd
rather have a good bun than a serving of fries. While I like fries just
fine, I agree with Mark, who recently called them "fatty little daggers of
carbs."

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 31, 9:44*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
> >> I don't think there's any "right" answer; I'm just casting about for
> >> ideas. Given the wide world of choices, what would you want on a
> >> chicken-fried piece of pork inside a hamburger bun?

> > I don't think chicken fried pork needs bun or condiments. *A nice salad
> > and a good American pale ale, maybe some French fries would be good.

> Sure, it would be good...but it wouldn't be a SANDWICH!

You got me there.

> Anyway, I think I'd
> rather have a good bun than a serving of fries. While I like fries just
> fine, I agree with Mark, who recently called them "fatty little daggers of
> carbs."

I'm going to be eschewing both carby weapons, the daggers and the
shields. Might allow myself the breading. I certainly don't want to
give up cornmeal fried fish.

> Bob

--Bryan, too fat from too much carbs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Among other things: In the last five or ten minutes, I've thought also
> thought about the draw-down in Iraq (and its impact on my departure plans),
> the formula for integration by parts, the Schliemann defense to the Ruy
> Lopez, practical ways to measure data privacy in the computer cloud, the
> weather here in Iraq and how it differs from what the weather must have been
> like during the Sumerian civilization, Fields of the Nephilim, the idea of
> cell-by-cell DNA scanning to treat cancers, whether the Second Amendment was
> intended to keep the USA on the brink of forcible revolution, and whether
> that Army PFC who allegedly posted all the classified stuff on WikiLeaks did
> it because he was trying to impress a girl.

What? You're not spending 100% of your time thinking
about the impending lawsuit from Stu?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> I don't think there's any "right" answer; I'm just casting about for ideas.
> Given the wide world of choices, what would you want on a chicken-fried
> piece of pork inside a hamburger bun?

Pesto! I just had a few pieces of Trader Joe's
Mandarin chicken (deep-fried morsels of chicken,
only referred to as "Mandarin" because it comes
with a couple pouches of a soy/cane sugar sauce
that I never use) with their jarred pesto, and
that was a nice, simple breakfast.

If I hadn't used pesto, I would have used Bufalo
chipotle sauce. But I bought the pesto specifically
to use with the chicken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:17:31 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Last night I was thinking about Iowa pork tenderloin sandwiches. They're
> usually served with mustard and pickles. Some Iowans put ketchup on them.
> What would be better?
>
> I'm thinking of just squeezing a lemon wedge over the pork. Or maybe putting
> extra-lemony mayo on the sandwich. Katsu sauce would work, naturally. I've
> got a recipe for peanut mayo which I think would be good in that
> application. Raspberry mustard or apricot mustard might be nice, or a light
> sprinkle of malt vinegar.
>
> What else would be good on a chicken-fried pork sandwich? Would apple butter
> work if it wasn't too sweet?
>
> Pickles aside, do other toppings (e.g., lettuce, tomatoes, or onions) have a
> place on an Iowa tenderloin sandwich? And if you *are* going to put pickles
> on top, must they be pickled cucumbers?
>
> I don't think there's any "right" answer; I'm just casting about for ideas.
> Given the wide world of choices, what would you want on a chicken-fried
> piece of pork inside a hamburger bun?
>
> Bob

if you're going to do something in the mayonnaise vein, how about aioli?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 02:11:49 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
>>>Last night I was thinking about Iowa pork tenderloin sandwiches.

>> (Do you always ideate about food?)

> Among other things: In the last five or ten minutes, I've thought also
> thought about the draw-down in Iraq (and its impact on my departure plans),
> the formula for integration by parts, the Schliemann defense to the Ruy
> Lopez, practical ways to measure data privacy in the computer cloud, the
> weather here in Iraq and how it differs from what the weather must have been
> like during the Sumerian civilization, Fields of the Nephilim, the idea of
> cell-by-cell DNA scanning to treat cancers, whether the Second Amendment was
> intended to keep the USA on the brink of forcible revolution, and whether
> that Army PFC who allegedly posted all the classified stuff on WikiLeaks did
> it because he was trying to impress a girl.

how long have you been afflicted with ADD?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote:

>> In the last five or ten minutes, I've thought also thought about the
>> draw-down in Iraq (and its impact on my departure plans), the formula for
>> integration by parts, the Schliemann defense to the Ruy Lopez, practical
>> ways to measure data privacy in the computer cloud, the weather here in
>> Iraq and how it differs from what the weather must have been like during
>> the Sumerian civilization, Fields of the Nephilim, the idea of
>> cell-by-cell DNA scanning to treat cancers, whether the Second Amendment
>> was intended to keep the USA on the brink of forcible revolution, and
>> whether that Army PFC who allegedly posted all the classified stuff on
>> WikiLeaks did it because he was trying to impress a girl.
>>

> how long have you been afflicted with ADD?

What do you mean? I'm not afflic-...Oo! Shiny!

Nah, if I need to concentrate on something, I can do it. But if there's
nothing to occupy my attention, my mind wanders.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark wrote:

>> Given the wide world of choices, what would you want on a chicken-fried
>> piece of pork inside a hamburger bun?

> Pesto! I just had a few pieces of Trader Joe's
> Mandarin chicken (deep-fried morsels of chicken,
> only referred to as "Mandarin" because it comes
> with a couple pouches of a soy/cane sugar sauce
> that I never use) with their jarred pesto, and
> that was a nice, simple breakfast.
>
> If I hadn't used pesto, I would have used Bufalo
> chipotle sauce. But I bought the pesto specifically
> to use with the chicken.

I *might* have pesto in the freezer at home. I'll have to check when I get
back; that's a good idea. Thanks!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Last night I was thinking about Iowa pork tenderloin sandwiches. They're
> usually served with mustard and pickles. Some Iowans put ketchup on them.
> What would be better?

> Bob

I want just mayo and tomato on my pork tenderloins.

Ms P

Senior Member

Location: WI

May I piggyback on the home made mayo deal and suggest some fresh-grated horseradish in the home made mayo/aioli. Pesto might be just the ticket, too.

For me, Thai sweet chili sauce goes with averything lately. Make your own, it's easy and has a flavor that would nicely compliment the pork.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gorio wrote:

> May I piggyback on the home made mayo deal and suggest some fresh-grated
> horseradish in the home made mayo/aioli. Pesto might be just the ticket,
> too.

Horseradish, especially freshly-grated, nukes my sinuses. Maybe if I used
just a pinch?

> For me, Thai sweet chili sauce goes with averything lately. Make your
> own, it's easy and has a flavor that would nicely compliment the pork.

Make your own? Got a recipe you like? I do have a bottle of the commercial
stuff, but I'm curious about homemade.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> I don't think there's any "right" answer; I'm just casting about for ideas.
> Given the wide world of choices, what would you want on a chicken-fried
> piece of pork inside a hamburger bun?

This is probably a wrong answer. How about thin sliced slightly cooked
until half limp cabbage tossed in a slightly sweet vinaigrette.
Sometimes, I shoot from the lip. It sounds like something I might try
although I haven't.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard wrote:

> This is probably a wrong answer. How about thin sliced slightly cooked
> until half limp cabbage tossed in a slightly sweet vinaigrette.
> Sometimes, I shoot from the lip. It sounds like something I might try
> although I haven't.

Not all that far off from a vinaigrette coleslaw, which would be worth a
try. Thanks!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

>Steve wrote:

>> Just olive oil would work. Pork, bun, olive oil. A modicum of salt.
>>
>> That, plus the lemon wedge would work too.

>Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. (I'm assuming you mean something which would
>be termed a "finishing" oil.)

Ideally yes, but were I in a budget squeeze I would be quite
content with the Trader Joe's "President's Reserve" EVOO, which is
now $6/liter. (It was once $8/liter, during the economic boom.)
It is a combination of Sicilian and Puglian oil.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 09:10:04 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> blake wrote:
>
>>> In the last five or ten minutes, I've thought also thought about the
>>> draw-down in Iraq (and its impact on my departure plans), the formula for
>>> integration by parts, the Schliemann defense to the Ruy Lopez, practical
>>> ways to measure data privacy in the computer cloud, the weather here in
>>> Iraq and how it differs from what the weather must have been like during
>>> the Sumerian civilization, Fields of the Nephilim, the idea of
>>> cell-by-cell DNA scanning to treat cancers, whether the Second Amendment
>>> was intended to keep the USA on the brink of forcible revolution, and
>>> whether that Army PFC who allegedly posted all the classified stuff on
>>> WikiLeaks did it because he was trying to impress a girl.
>>>

>> how long have you been afflicted with ADD?

> What do you mean? I'm not afflic-...Oo! Shiny!
>
> Nah, if I need to concentrate on something, I can do it. But if there's
> nothing to occupy my attention, my mind wanders.
>
> Bob

nothing wrong with that. it turned out well for leonardo.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Last night I was thinking about Iowa pork tenderloin sandwiches. They're
> usually served with mustard and pickles. Some Iowans put ketchup on them.
> What would be better?
>
> I'm thinking of just squeezing a lemon wedge over the pork. Or maybe putting
> extra-lemony mayo on the sandwich. Katsu sauce would work, naturally. I've
> got a recipe for peanut mayo which I think would be good in that
> application. Raspberry mustard or apricot mustard might be nice, or a light
> sprinkle of malt vinegar.
>
> What else would be good on a chicken-fried pork sandwich? Would apple butter
> work if it wasn't too sweet?
>
> Pickles aside, do other toppings (e.g., lettuce, tomatoes, or onions) have a
> place on an Iowa tenderloin sandwich? And if you *are* going to put pickles
> on top, must they be pickled cucumbers?
>
> I don't think there's any "right" answer; I'm just casting about for ideas.
> Given the wide world of choices, what would you want on a chicken-fried
> piece of pork inside a hamburger bun?
>
> Bob

Why change what's perfect? Yellow mustard and dill pickle slices.
Raw onion if you must. Never catsup.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 31, 8:31*am, Food Snob® > wrote:
> On Jul 31, 3:17*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> wrote:
>

> > Last night I was thinking about Iowa pork tenderloin sandwiches. They're
> > usually served with mustard and pickles. Some Iowans put ketchup on them.
> > What would be better?

> > I'm thinking of just squeezing a lemon wedge over the pork. Or maybe putting
> > extra-lemony mayo on the sandwich. Katsu sauce would work, naturally. I've
> > got a recipe for peanut mayo which I think would be good in that
> > application. Raspberry mustard or apricot mustard might be nice, or a light
> > sprinkle of malt vinegar.

> > What else would be good on a chicken-fried pork sandwich? Would apple butter
> > work if it wasn't too sweet?

> > Pickles aside, do other toppings (e.g., lettuce, tomatoes, or onions) have a
> > place on an Iowa tenderloin sandwich? And if you *are* going to put pickles
> > on top, must they be pickled cucumbers?

> > I don't think there's any "right" answer; I'm just casting about for ideas.
> > Given the wide world of choices, what would you want on a chicken-fried
> > piece of pork inside a hamburger bun?

> I don't think chicken fried pork needs bun or condiments. *A nice
> salad and a good American pale ale, maybe some French fries would be
> good.
>

> > Bob

> --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

FYI, as far as I know, it's never referred to as "chicken fried
pork." It's an Iowa pork tenderloin SANDWICH.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Why change what's perfect? Yellow mustard and dill pickle slices.
> Raw onion if you must. Never catsup.

Well, I'd want to change it because I don't believe it *is* perfect.

I only mentioned ketchup because I am aware that some Iowans put ketchup on
their pork tenderloin sandwiches; I didn't mean to imply that I *approve* of
the practice!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Why change what's perfect? Yellow mustard and dill pickle slices.
> Raw onion if you must. Never catsup.

Well, I'd want to change it because I don't believe it *is* perfect.

I only mentioned ketchup because I am aware that some Iowans put ketchup on
their pork tenderloin sandwiches; I didn't mean to imply that I *approve* of
the practice!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 2, 11:41*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> > Why change what's perfect? *Yellow mustard and dill pickle slices.
> > Raw onion if you must. *Never catsup.

> Well, I'd want to change it because I don't believe it *is* perfect.
>
> I only mentioned ketchup because I am aware that some Iowans put ketchup on
> their pork tenderloin sandwiches; I didn't mean to imply that I *approve* of
> the practice!
>
> Bob

Well, for me, a native so to speak, it is. ;-) You can have it
howeverwhichway you want - but then it's not an "Iowa pork tenderloin
sandwich," it's Bob's sandwich. LOL.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/2/2010 11:41 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I only mentioned ketchup because I am aware that some Iowans put ketchup on
> their pork tenderloin sandwiches; I didn't mean to imply that I *approve* of
> the practice!
>
> Bob

Never have tried ketchup on pork chops, it just doesn't sound right.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Never have tried ketchup on pork chops, it just doesn't sound right.

Just think of it as simplified barbecue sauce. :-)

Bob

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Terwilliger[_1_] View Post
Gorio wrote:

May I piggyback on the home made mayo deal and suggest some fresh-grated
horseradish in the home made mayo/aioli. Pesto might be just the ticket,
too.

Horseradish, especially freshly-grated, nukes my sinuses. Maybe if I used
just a pinch?

For me, Thai sweet chili sauce goes with averything lately. Make your
own, it's easy and has a flavor that would nicely compliment the pork.

Make your own? Got a recipe you like? I do have a bottle of the commercial
stuff, but I'm curious about homemade.

Bob
Sweet Chili Thai Sauce Recipe - Allrecipes.com

This is the last one I tried. I, too, fell for the stuff in the bottle. Went through it quickly. If you try the above recipe, do cut the sugar in half or use 3/4 C, not the whole cup. I also use a bit more ginger than they recommend and I ground dried pequin peppers (one of my favorites). The ketchup sounds little ghetto; but I like the color it imparts.

Fresh horseradish is to be used sparingly. Just thought, if you're going to the trouble to make an aioli, go fresh all the way, eh? I made an aioli, once, to be eaten with a porkroast and severl non-foodie friends thought I was just eating mayon on the meat...until they tasted the grace that is aioli.